main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.19 - To Catch a Jedi - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Feb 21, 2013.

1. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I agree with you completely. I hope that the Barriss as the villian is a misdirect and it ends up being someone else.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's what Marv and Harry thought.

3. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    It depend on which kids you are talking about

Kids may not have as much experience as an adult would have, but some times the adults do learn from the kids, which is more powerful than learning from another adult, in my opinion

V-2 likes this.
  4. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    [​IMG]

"Mmmm. Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing... how embarrassing."

5. Quirkiness101

Quirkiness101 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    And they learned instead that they're sadistic creeps. A common confusion.

Fair enough, my bad. Still love the theory. If I didn't have so much homework, I'd go double check TJWKTM to see if the clone at the monitor leaves with Fox.

6. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I sure hope not.

QuangoFett and Quirkiness101 like this.
  7. Quirkiness101

Quirkiness101 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Fair enough, my bad. Still love the theory. If I didn't have so much homework, I'd go double check TJWKTM to see if the clone at the monitor leaves with Fox.[/quote]
    So I just checked, and unfortunately, all the clones leave the control room before Letta dies. If Barriss was disguised as a clone, she wasn't in the control room.

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    A minor question I have: if the Republic military had custody of Letta because it was a "military matter" - well, heck, the Jedi masters are all military generals. Yet they differentiate between "military" and "Jedi" jurisdictionally?

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They do seem to be having it both ways.

10. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Territoriality. There's a whole bureaucracy of non-clone and non-Jedi military officers (former Judicials, integrated Navy personnel) who want to demarcate the GAR and the conduct of the war as their purview. The Jedi try to guide the execution of war policy as much as they can, but at the end of the day, they're a monastic order that is considered separate from the Republic military.

V-2 likes this.
  11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    How can "generals" be separate from a military?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  12. quiller

quiller Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    I personally have a very convoluted idea on what is happening with this arc but feel it all makes sense and fits the Sid's ultimate plan.
    The primary purpose of bombing the temple is make the Jedi distrust each other and to help separate the Jedi from the people making it easier for Sid to later say the Jedi are taking over. Framing Ahsoka is needed to disillusion Ahsoka so she leaves the Jedi order. Personally I don't think the ultimate goal is to get her convicted just the process of making her seem "guilty" and feeling the lack of trust and support from the other Jedi is enough to make her feel she should leave the Jedi order. Especially making her feel there are other Jedi who are both out to get her as well as fighting the Jedi. There also as already stated the extra bonus of the guilty person can stay out of the spot light. The whole situation with Ahsoka, and who believes her and who doesn't then goes to help split the Jedi and again give reasons for Anakin to distrust the council. The second part of this is getting Ahoska away from Anakin. The presence of Ahoska is a hindrance in the successful turn of Anakin to the dark side. What ever Ahsoka's fate is: ultimately killed, wrongfully convicted, leaving the order in disgust, all these will work on Anakin's feeling of loss, and being unable to ultimate save those he cares for.

V-2 likes this.
  13. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    The same way a politician who is given a field commission is distinct from a career military officer.

The Jedi aren't politicians, but they're definitely not career military officers. Members of their institution obtain ranks in the Republic military hierarchy, but they're not of the Republic military in the sense that Yularen or Cody is.

V-2 and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  14. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    While I won't go so far as to call it an outright plot hole―since the primary voice to the "military matter" issue is Tarkin, who we see to be vocally biased in an anti-Jedi and pro standard, straight-laced military way, potentially coloring when he considers proper military―there is certainly something of a disconnect present in the dialogue and the Jedi's inability to sufficiently stand up to a common Admiral. I expect a later guide or some other source will be left to explain the discrepancy in full, perhaps attributing the investigation to Republic Domestic Security and noting Tarkin to be a ranking military member of the organization.

15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    While I do agree that the relationship between Jedi and "military" should be articulated on screen, I get the impression that the Jedi are traditionally autonomous to an extent. They appoint their own members, they administer their own justice system on members that commit crimes, etc.

On top of that their role was as peacekeepers. I get the impression that they are sort of "conscripted generals" as little sense as that makes. More of a group that volunteered to take on the role of generals in the absence of a standing body of military officers to take on the role at the beginning of the war.

I think the Jedi have traditionally held a degree of autonomy and privilege, and volunteered to lead the military, but now are being rubbed the wrong way when Palpatine and a new military class are using the war as an excuse to infringe on the autonomy of the Jedi Order.

I mean, Palpatine is essentially commander-in-chief of the Republic's forces, and yet when he requests Anakin lead the campaign against Grievous in ROTS, the Jedi Council shoots down Palpatine's request without even consulting with him and send Obi-Wan instead. Mace insists that the Council will decide, not the Chancellor.

I think the Jedi were pretty much peeved at that point and hated that their traditional autonomy was being suppressed by the government. Their attitude toward Palpatine's request seemed like a big middle finger to Palpatine, like they were passively protesting him by disregarding "requests" and continuing to govern themselves.

Just my interpretation based on on-screen evidence.

I believe in the EU the Jedi Order was founded independently of the Republic and joined at a later date serving more like a vassal with autonomy over its own affairs but liable to be called upon in service of the Republic. I could be wrong on that though.

16. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    I would for this LOVE for this arc (with a non Barriss traitor [face_praying]) be used as a way of beginning to explore that issue. There is clearly a tension between Tarkin and the Jedi Council. I've been somewhat bothered by Anakin in TCW being too quick to agree with Tarkin no matter what he says. At the start of ROTS the Jedi Council seem to be more reflective on their role in the war. Obi Wan is taking note of Palpatine's power grabs, and were just now seeing confirmation of a public shift in opinion against the Jedi.

On a separate note, I actually liked the "political episodes" and think they should help flush some of this out. The GFFA need not be reduced to the villian of the week.

17. LordDarthPlagueis

LordDarthPlagueis Jedi Knight

Apr 1, 2006
    Why ruin Barriss just to get rid of not Jedi Master, Anakin Skywalker's movie-free Padawan?

18. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    It's not ruining Barriss. It's making her character infinitely more interesting.

19. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    We'll see on Saturday. It all depends on how much screen time they spend actually explaining her motivations. Regardless of how much they screw that up, I'm still hoping for good Anakin/Ahsoka development.

20. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Highly debatable...

21. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The wait is killing me, but I know the wait for season 6 will be much much worse.

At least there's Archer in the meantime, and a new series of Venture Bros. starts in a couple of months, I think...

Nubbs and Seerow like this.
  22. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    In terms of Star Wars, there's three good-looking novels between now and when Season 6 should air (if it airs in late September/early October as usual). Kenobi especially looks interesting.

I also have about a 5-year backlog of video games, so I'll not be without entertainment, Star Wars or otherwise. I'll also hang around LACWAC during the interim, as the funniest **** happens in between seasons. It's like everybody goes delirious.

Nubbs and CT-867-5309 like this.
  23. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Infinitely interesting...from a certain point of view.

AKA, subjectivity. Depends on who you're asking.

V-2 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm still pissed off about an almost-six-month wait between seasons. That's one hell of a Hawaii trip, Filoni. Season finales are supposed to be in May, dammit. This is closer to sweeps week.

Seriously, What. The. ****.

I've got a good backlog of TV shows and books to keep me going; I'm planning to read the entire NJO plus I have a few other books downloaded to my Kindle that I haven't touched yet. And I'm going to keep watching episodes in order and reviewing them in the old episodes thread.

LOL, last summer was my only summer here and the funniest part was the Moonman invasion. I logged in while in a lousy mood and within an hour I was spewing my drink at my computer screen.

25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    It's vaguely like the episode Yesterday's Enterprise where the timeline gets altered and a character that had previously been killed is suddenly alive again. Meanwhile another character is able to sense that something is wrong and that she shouldn't be alive and tries to fix the timeline.

Barriss probably sensed that Ahsoka simply existing doesn't feel right or consistent with the movie timeline and so has come up with an elaborate scheme to get her killed and fix the timeline.