main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.20 - The Wrong Jedi (Season Finale) - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Feb 27, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually felt bad for the Council there, they made a mistake and acknowledged it which is all they could do, but I can understand why Ahsoka at least felt like she needed some time away.

OK, sort of. She was brought into the Order when she was 3. They're her family. Does she have a plan for how she's going to survive? Where she's going to go? It would have made more sense if she had just said that she needed a temporary break/needed to be left alone for a little while.

pronker and TaradosGon like this.
  2. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    She's going to go crawling to Lux, of course.

cwustudent and rumblewagon like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell.

Coric likes this.
  4. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Or what if her leaving the Order caused Order 66? The Jedi would have already lost a lot of trust from the Senate, which could work into Palpatine's plans. Anakin will fear the loss of another women in his life, not wanting to lose Padme as she did Shmi and Ashoka. This pushes him to the Dark Side, giving Palpatine the chance to execute Order 66. So, basically, Ashoka caused Order 66!

5. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    [​IMG]
    "Word of advice, Tarkin. You should do something about that foul stench before someone recognizes it in the future."
    Heart-wrenching and bittersweet.
    I was dreading this episode because I thought Barriss might be killed - and that would be what would tear Anakin and Ahsoka apart.I was afraid that Ahsoka would be upset and yell at Anakin, "No Anakin, Barriss couldn't have done it. She was my friend."

Thanks goodness Barriss was not killed, but there had to be consequence and it was Ahsoka leaving Anakin and leaving the Jedi Order. I suspected Ahsoka might leave Anakin, but never expected her to leave the Jedi Order. That was a shocker. I guess it's what would have to happen to keep Ahsoka from being killed in Order 66, but it's still depressing from my POV. I just can't imagine The Clone Wars without Ahsoka. I'm just now sure how much I'll be interested any longer. It hurt so much to see my favorite Jedi walk off into the sunset. I suppose it hurts the fans of Barriss Offee just as much to see what happened to her character. (Barriss_Coffee)

++ voice acting and the suspense was spectacular.
    ++ fight between Barriss and Anakin was very well done. Not to the caliber of Sidious/Maul/Savage, but still a very exciting battle.
    + Jedi Enforcers are really cool.
    + Padme was great in her small role. (I really hope we get to see the Clovis arc.)
    + Ventress/Anakin battle was very solid. Love how Anakin grabs Ventress's fist.
    +++ Ending scene was emotionally wrenching. Best of the series. It's obvious Ahsoka knows about Anakin/Padme, but I'm curious how much Ahsoka knows. Maybe we'll never know.
    = Tim Curry does a passable Palpatine. Not to the level of Ian Abercrombie, but Ian's shoes are very big to fill.
    - Not sure why Barriss would hang onto Ventress's lightsabers. It does not make much sense. If she's the mastermind behind the bombing, it would seem she'd get rid of the evidence. Perhaps she was planning to use the lightsabers as evidence to frame another Jedi, but still doesn't make sense.

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Say I'm at a store. A security camera catches someone go into the restroom. I go in after them and come out before them. There is a large time gap before the next person (an employee) enters the restroom and then comes running out and reports that they found someone dead in the restroom with their throat slit. All evidence points to me being the murder, but I did not do it. The video seems pretty clear, I walk in after the first person, kill them, then leave. No murder weapon is found in the restroom, so it couldn't have been a suicide, and the time lag and the quickness in which the employee enters and leaves implies that the guy was already dead, because he had been in there for a really long time.

My friends and family are in shock and disgusted that I could have committed such a crime. My entire defense is pretty much "hey, trust me, I didn't do it." I'm not even going to try and add the equivalent of being associated with a known terrorist into the situation.

And yet when the Jedi "abandon" her, she's so disgusted that she feels she has to leave?

On all accounts it looks like Ahsoka committed the crime and she has a very weak defense. When she is found not guilty, the Jedi apologize and give her the utmost praise. But she has to leave, because enough of the Council members (presumably enough to have a majority) felt like she committed the crime based on rather convincing evidence and refused to allow their emotions dictate their decision, just as any good jury would.

And like I said prior, Yoda telling Ahsoka that they reached a decision and found her guilty was entirely irrelevant since revealing their verdict after a two second trial (the trial in itself carrying no weight other than as an excuse to expel her so that the Republic could conduct the real trial) was entirely pointless and created a motive for Ahsoka to want to leave, and yet still a very poor reason to want to leave. With the Republic conducting the trial, they could have and should have (and had no reason not to have) been completely upfront and honest in why they were expelling her.

Let's say that the murder weapon in my murder scenario eventually is found with fingerprints that don't match mine, they get a confession from the murderer. Now my family comes to me and offers their deepest apologies. Am I justified in disavowing my family and cutting off connections with them over this? Is Ahsoka so incapable of seeing things from their point of view? These very same Jedi were the ones that were initially going to hear Ahsoka's case and conduct her trial, and oh what a sad world it would be if "nah, I didn't do it, trust me" were a convincing defense to refute evidence. It's like she's hinging her hopes on the Jedi being corrupt and determining her innocence based on trust rather than evidence.

I give the utmost props to Matt, Ashley, the musicians, and the animators all for that final scene and capturing a perfect emotional note. I don't want to give any impression that any of them are at fault or that their performances were not top notch. But my god was the story stupid IMO, and did I expect more out of the character given how her character has behaved previously.

7. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Heh, with that leap in logic you just made,we can say that the Council caused Order 66 for motivating Ahsoka to leave.;)

rumblewagon likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not sure we want to go down this path, guys.

Palpatine caused Order 66. Period. He had planned it for, oh, 40 years or so. Or at least 30.

9. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    If someone's family screwed them over for what the falsely accused perceived to be political reasons, then perhaps cutting off connections with the family could be at least partially justified.

In this way, both Ahsoka and the Jedi Council are right. Ahsoka severely undermines her case with her actions and there's little way any jury would find her innocent without Barriss' confession. The whole arc very strongly highlights her immaturity. However, the JC are under political pressure and Ahsoka perceives this to be part of their motivation in expelling her. That's something anyone would take umbrage at - the institution they are a part of attempting to cover its collective arse by making one person a scapegoat.

Part of her motivation in leaving is her questioning whether she can trust herself. She obviously takes the overwhelming case against her to heart, making her refusal of the re-admittance offer based on more than just her feeling of betrayal by the JC.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  10. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    Must have been the first time Mace somewhat "appologized"...

Nubbs likes this.
  11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Her questioning her ability to trust herself came out of nowhere. The whole arc highlighted her trusting herself and that it was that determination to prove her innocence and the support of her master that ultimately allowed them to triumph. Why all of a sudden she can't trust herself is beyond me.

And the Jedi did not scapegoat Ahsoka. Tarkin's argument was very reasonable. The terrorist attack became a Republic matter both because the non-Jedi personnel were involved and because the Jedi decision to become part of the Republic military put them under the jurisdiction of the Republic. The Jedi serve the Republic. When the Republic senate is requesting that they be allowed to conduct the trial, what are the Jedi supposed to say? "No, go to hell, we're going to conduct the trial?" Are they supposed to hold the Republic courts in contempt? The senate's reservations against a Jedi trial being biased were also reasonable.

And I expected a more outwardly corrupt trial. But really, every part of it seemed fair on outward appearances. Palpatine urging the jury to remember that the Republic has been tricked before in refusing to believe a Jedi could fall is motivated by a personal agenda, but there is still truth enough to his remark that it does not betray this agenda to onlookers.

Is Ahsoka entitled to be a little disappointed that some didn't have the same unwavering trust that Anakin did? Sure. But I really only see her immaturity being highlighted (as you say) in how she responds to the whole ordeal

12. Phlegon

Phlegon Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2013
    Oh how I want a CD of the music from this last episode...

As veteran who served in the Air Force during the Gulf War I am reminded of the last minutes in this episode of my inner turmoil of letting my enlistment run out or continue my service to my country. I ended up leaving and there isn't a day that doesn't go by were i regret making that descion. I remember looking in the reviewmirror and seeing the front gate and remembering that would be the last time I saw it. I have lost count on how many times I have replayed this episode and I am still brought to tears each time. The wrong jedi might be in a different setting but it still brings to heart of a descion made when young you see no alternative. It is what makes us grow as adults. I hope this brings another perspective on The Wrong Jedi to all of you.

To the people who don't like Ahsoka, Just give it time I think her character will suprise you.

To Dave and his crew....

Please don't stop. You all are making a show worthy of the Star Wars name.

For that I Salute You and your Cast.

Thank you.

P.S Sorry for the grammical errors.

colojedi7, pronker, K'Kruhk and 10 others like this.
  13. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I never knew why the Jedi Council would give someone as unstable as Anakin a Padawan.

14. Drunk_Lando

Drunk_Lando Jedi Master star 1

Oct 19, 2010
    Feeling betrayed by the Jedi Council? That's the pot calling the kettle black. During this series, Ahsoka has lied, gone behind the back of the Council, gone behind the back of Anakin, and disregarded orders in battle which resulted in the deaths of Clones.

But, I can't remember if she has ever jumped to conclusions about things before.

EDIT:
    Also, if this happened to some random Jedi, would Ahsoka assume that Jedi was guilty?

15. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Is any of that disputed?

Bolded and underlined. It's clear from the ending that Ahsoka feels a great deal of guilt or remorse for her behaviour. As I said, her motivation includes much more than just her feeling of betrayal, whether that feeling is justified or not. And yes, Ahsoka would probably not care much if this happened to another Jedi. Neither would Anakin. They're kind of self-centred like that.

earlchinna likes this.
  16. BW2

BW2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 26, 2013
    Ahsoka did not accuse anyone. She also did not say they betrayed her. She just said she cant trust herself to serve in this war, as long as Jedi council does not trust her. She just decided to go away and search for answers what to do now.

17. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    OMG!!!!!!!! The music! Kiner killed it! That new theme at the end needs to be on a TCW album. I want a "best of" album at some point.

Another thing about the music: the way the music turned...eerie...as Anakin was holding out his hand with her Padawan beads. I admit, there is no evidence to support my claim, but I think Ahsoka did not forget Mortis. As Anakin put out his hand, Ahsoka was thinking about the warning she received and saw how it was coming true. Just my opinion.

And yes, I think the implication is that Ahsoka knows, on some level, that Anakin yearns to be with Padme more than being a Jedi. (I think its more than just Padme though. She's seen how the Council ****s with Anakin all the time.) With that said, I also think Ahsoka desires a relationship with Lux, but that may take some time. It seems after Onderon that Ahsoka felt her destiny was to follow the Force, not her feelings for Lux. But now that she has left the order, I hope Lux is an option again! Ahsoka deserves her share of happiness.

18. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I really don't think it's a case of Ashoka not able to trust herself. I think it's more of a case of learning to trust others again. We've all been there at some point, we've been accused of something we've not done. Be it breaking a dish at home or something bigger then that. And someone who we've always trusted now says they distrust us and we have to prove we're innocent. But that trust is now lost on both sides. I don't blame her for not going back and going out on her own to sort everything out. This was a big break of trust between her and the council. And I personally don't think I could ever be part of something that so easily distrusted me.

19. BW2

BW2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 26, 2013
    Beiing together with Bonteri is not exactly happiness. That Guy is a former separatist and dooku enemy. He will get her in trouble for sure. He get killed Steela and he will do the same for Ahsoka.

20. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I disagree here. It's one of life's ironies, but the more you have you have total, complete, unshakable faith in something - the more you are a "true believer" with no hint of cynicism towards it - the smaller an event it will take to completely shatter your faith in it. It's a matter of expectations, I guess. When you build up an expectation of perfection, any hint of imperfection is cause for a crisis in your faith. When, on the other hand, you expect people to be flawed and institutions to not always live up to their stated principles; when you expect a certain amount of self-interest, short-sightedness, and poor decision-making from the world; when you accept that that's just how life works and simply expect most of people involved in your cause to try to do the right thing most of the time, you will, strangely enough, actually end up with a more robust and resilient faith in it.

Ahsoka was a "true believer" in the Eric Hoffer sense of that term. She drank the Kool Aid. She believed the hype. She devoted her life to the Jedi Order, believed in it completely, had total faith in the endless and infallible wisdom of the Council, and didn't see how it could ever not live up to its stated principles or end up participating in an injustice. Once it became apparent to her that that was not really the truth - and it doesn't take much to shatter expectations that high - she became, in the most literal sense, disillusioned. She had a certain illusion of what the Jedi were. When it became undeniable that they really weren't that, well, it wasn't pretty, in that unique way that disillusioning isn't.

Of course, it was worse in the case of Barriss, probably in every way. She seems the "true believer" type. She probably had even higher expectations, and when they were shattered, she fell even farther into disillusionment, despair, and, finally, anger.

21. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Barriss was the villain?! hated that. i liked her motives, but framing Ahsoka
    and as far as Ahsoka....i've never been a fan of hers. Portrayed way too powerful, worst Padawan ever, never followed one order.
    I did like seeing Anakin powerful. We're almost to ROTS here. And finally they had Jedi using the force during a lightsaber battle. I did think maybe him using the force choke on Ventress was too much. That's a full on Dark side move. I thought they should have saved that for his turn in ROTS.

22. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    To be precise Order 66 was part of the Grand Plan, which was was a plot firstly devised by Darth Bane, founder of the order of the Sith Lords. The Plan was to eradicate the Jedi Order and the Republic and replace them with a Sith-ruled empire. The actual Order 66 as found in the Contingency Orders of the Republic was firstly formed at the outbreak of the Clone Wars. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Plagueis first came up with the idea and Sidious carried it out after his death.

K'Kruhk and Mia Mesharad like this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's been awhile since I read the Plagueis novel but that's what I remember as well.

24. Grendelspyce

Grendelspyce Jedi Master

Jun 29, 2006
    Many, many things bother me about this episode but I don't think anyone here has addressed this point: why didn't Anakin arrest former Separatist leader, mass murderer and Sith lackey (not to mention the one that gave him his eye scar) Asajj Ventress when he had the chance?

25. BW2

BW2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 26, 2013
    TCW Bariss is just a moron.