main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars cancelled.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kuestmaster, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    What are you basing this on? (no snark; honest question)

2. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    They canceled (oh, sorry, "delayed" until, well, sometime after pigs fly) the further PT 3D conversions, did the same with Detours and 1313, and canned The Clone Wars outright. Basically, they've dropped the PT about as fast as they would if "PT" stood for PluTonium".

3. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I see where you might draw that conclusion.

Seems to me they're dropping whatever projects are in process, and those projects happen to be PT related. You may be right, but I don't think what you've cited leads to only one conclusion.

I don't have strong feelings either way, as long as the new stories are fun and exciting (and hopefully a little thought-provoking, but we can't always get what we want lol).

eht13 likes this.
  4. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012

Your posts never disappoint me.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    What haven't you filtered other than your own avatar pic with different slogans?

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Yeah... I don't see how the PT was "dropped."

The OT was never "dropped" when the PT came out. There persisted to be games, novels and comics covering that period. When the movies moved to the PT it just opened the door for games, novels and comics in that era. Now the films are moving into the ST era with the return of familiar OT era characters and LucasFilm seems to be stalling Detours and cancelling The Clone Wars as a marketing strategy (Detours apparently doesn't make sense as part of that strategy) and seemingly to divert resources to a new show, one that I suspect will tie into the Episode VII in some way. That's the only reason that I can see for postponing 1313 is because that game allegedly involves cross-department cooperation between ILM, Skywalker Sound, Lucas Animation and LucasArts, and if it's full steam ahead on a new show and film, the resources from the first three might be re-organized from 1313.

But it's not like they are telling Bioware to shut down TOR or holding expansions for that game indefinitely under the excuse that it "makes no sense" to support a game that takes place in the Old Republic era. I think it's a matter of resources and marketing strategy.

TCW might have been abandoned in favor of a new show as part of a Sequel Trilogy marketing strategy and to re-allocate resources to a new show that might better fit with that strategy. They've got 2-3 years to get that project out the door if they want it to be a part of Episode VII's marketing strategy, and if they are trying to shove it out the door so fast, I kind of suspect that they might be trying to emulate the microseries with a new miniseries, microseries, or some other kind of tie-in.

Detours might be like releasing Marvel's The Superhero Squad when anticipation for the Avengers movie was at its peak, probably not the best idea to release a self-parodying Star Wars comedy at a time when hype for Episode VII is at its greatest and people are starting to look to Star Wars news. They're right, it really doesn't make sense. That's something that can probably be released more safely once the success of the film is established, but who knows if the show will survive on hold for that long.

As for 1313, I think it's either a matter of money (if LucasFilm is looking to LucasArt's previous duds like TFU II and is not interested in investing so much money into something they feel won't see adequate returns. And/or that that LucasFilm has pulled each of the departments to prioritize Episode VII and so 1313 can't proceed. I don't buy that it has anything to do with the time period of the game, since there is plenty of other Star Wars merchandise getting out there from the PT, OT and Old Republic eras, that Disney doesn't seem to mind.

7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Such a fair sampling there :)

The only thing really bothering me right now is the lack of detail. DF's announcement and then nothing? Doesn't make much sense to me.

8. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The actual issue with 1313 is that apparently Lucas himself ruined it. According to insider sources, the game was half-way or so through development, with its story and setting and such already worked out. Lucas stopped by, "loved" the idea and look, but decided that instead of an open-world Coruscant game with a new bounty hunter protagonist, the game should instead focus on "answering questions" from the movies, like what's going on with young Han and Boba Fett, and who are the Bothan spies. So the design team basically had to scrap what they had and start from scratch because that's what he wanted, and once Disney took over, they didn't have enough progress cemented yet that it's been "delayed" indefinitely.

9. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    They may still be negotiating how many story arcs they will be releasing so until its all cemented down they can't really confirm anything but they can confirm that it will be at least 2 story arcs to be released for TCW. As for the other show, probably not that far in development for details to be released yet.

10. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Guess I've been under a rock since I'm just hearing the news. It's reassuring to hear Dave state there's more to come. Since the remaining episodes seem to be getting referred to as "bonus", it makes it sound like they might just expand the season 5 dvd to include them also. That would satisfy me. The show was winding toward its conclusion, so the announcement isn't a huge shock. Looking forward to see where they take the animation next!

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Lucas you... you... baneful cad!

JackG, MistrX, Darth Ibonek and 4 others like this.
  12. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm pretty freaking pissed right now. This is a load of crap. The show was great and it still had a lot to offer. Now what?? We get some weak ass conclusion when they still had tons of potential stories and arcs to make.

Oh well I knew this show was too good to last. At least Game of thrones is still going strong. My one last hope.

13. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Well if true that is pretty insane. I can't see Lucas meddling to that degree though....

14. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not really that hard to believe, especially in light of just how many of TCW's bad decisions―from plot threads, to dialogue, designs, canon problems, and character roles―turned out to be at the behest of Lucas.

From Kotaku's recent article on the game:
    The game was conceived in 2009, we've been told privately, as a tie-in to a planned live-action Star Wars TV show. The show was set to take place between the prequel Star Wars trilogy and the classic one, as was the game. The game was called Underworld, according to one of our sources, and was, like the show, going to be for an adult audience. The 1313 title, after all, refers to the seedy underworld on the planet Coruscant, where crime, violence, drugs and other seedier elements exist. That underworld would be the setting for the show and the game.

In what will surely drive fans of great Star Wars games a bit mad, Underworld/1313 was, we're told, originally going to be an open-world role-playing game similar to the beloved BioWare title Knights of the Old Republic but with episodic character updates delivered regularly over DLC. Story arcs would go to some dark places, touching on terrorism, the dealings of crime families and prostitution.

We're told that the game was scaled back in 2010 after budgetary concerns put the TV show on hold. The game was re-written with a new story that was disconnected from the TV-show material. And this is where what our sources say gets even more interesting. LucasArts supposedly was set to reinvent itself in 2011 under then-studio-president Paul Meegan, attempting to make Star Wars-style games in popular genres. There would be a Star Wars riff on FarmVille and a Call of Duty-style first-person shooter codenamed Trigger. 1313 was switched from codename Underworld to codename Hive and given platforming elements, similar to Sony's hit series Uncharted. A LucasArts rep declined to comment about any of this.

Development on the game began to proceed quite well going into either 2011 or 2012 when George Lucas himself apparently saw the game. One source mentions that Lucas "loved" the game and encouraged the developers to weave stories and characters from the TV scripts. The game's storylines would answer such questions as "Who is Boba Fett?", "Why was Han working for Jabba?" and "Who were the Bothan spies?" Lucas' requests were not to be ignored, that source says, leaving the developers of the re-named 1313 with a game that had backing from the man in charge but without a concrete story or characters. A new story was still in the works when the game was shown at E3 2012.

The game dazzled at E3 and then, as any observers have noticed, went dark.

15. eukaryote

eukaryote Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2008
    I know that a lot of people are freaking out, but my biggest reaction is:

Can anybody confirm, does anybody ever die in Star Wars? I know this was from - what, season 1? and my memory might deceive me but - That ship was blown up. In space! What exactly does it take or someone to die? Being cut in half and thrown down a 223535236 foot shaft doesn't work, being blown up in space doesn't work, what exactly does?

Oh wait... actually there is a sure way to kill a character in Star Wars, and that is to make them lose the will to live. Because you can't replace that with robotics.

And I remember reading people's reactions about "Cat and Mouse" on here. People were bored with the episode and everyone thought Trench was annoying with his clinking spider teeth things. So my second question is why the **** would they want to even bring Trench back in the first place? I mean, Trench! I can understand wanting to bring Darth Maul back, but friggin Trench?

Don't get me wrong, I have loved TCW, but I think it's time if that's the kind of thing they're giving us.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Of course he will say that. Did you expect him to go "I'm working on something else that's really bad, but as long as I'm in work and getting paid I don't care"

anakinfansince1983 and Sitara like this.
  17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    And GoT's source material is brilliant, so the show will last for the foreseeable future!

DavidIX and 07jonesj like this.
  18. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Your memory does deceive. You might watch Cat and Mouse before you go off in a rant. Torpedos do hit the ship. There are explosions. There is no confirmed shot of the entire ship exploding and being blown to bits.

19. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Ladies and gentlemen, now you know, if you didn't know before; as I have repeatedly explained, the responsibility for the condition that Star Wars is in now, to the point where a Disney buyout or a cencellation of TCW is possible, has always lain with the decisions and actions of the one man capable of making such decisions in his organization: George Walton Lucas, Jr. It lies with no one but him. All Disney is doing now is surveying the grounds as he left them, noticing the mess he left behind, and cleaning it up.

20. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ Exactly! People need to get over their love of Lucas and look at things objectively.

21. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Plenty from you. ;)

22. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    T.R.U.T.H.

23. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Since all of my predictions have come true so far, let me make one more: Sometime in the next five years, Lucas will give an interview in which he decries all the things that Disney has done with Star Wars, and expresses regret over selling. A few hardcore fans will express sympathy for him; the vast majority won't care because they'll be satisfied with what House of Mouse will have done with the franchise.

24. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    My prediction is that the Sequel Trilogy will be as divisive as the Prequel Trilogy has been.

25. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree, in so far as he will probably at some point express regret, but I don't think he will do it publicly. I think the years of talk between individuals and the half million websites devoted to detailing the ways in which George Lucas sucks has probably worn him down enough to make him reconsider ever thinking that he has something valuable to say about Star Wars. Especially if the mouse delivers the on the easiest slam dunk challenge in all time, space, and dimensions and makes Star Wars movies that are better than his.

...'course it's always possible that he will get drunk one night and we'll get an uncomfortable and embarrassing blowhardy sounding tweet from the guy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.