main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars Chronological Order (TCW Episodes & Viewing Orders)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by han_solo_321, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    "Also -- not sure what you mean by his # 1 general -- isn't that Grevious?"

Thats what I meant.

2. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Good thread! I like trying to figure out where these episodes fit. It's like a puzzle! Obviously, there's a lot of different options to go with. Kind of makes me sad for the day they release the official order, which no doubt will take in the webcomics -- which were made to go with the airing order, not the intended chronological order of the shows, if I'm not mistaken.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I thought I read somewhere that when critics were shown an early screening of Ambush, they were told it was "4 or 5" episodes into the season, but it was one of the episodes that really sold CN on TCW.

So if we're pretty sure Downfall/Duel of the Droids were supposed to be right around the beginning, Ambush was going to be right after.

The OS has told us Season 2 is going to jump around even more, to different points in the Clone Wars, I believe it's implying. Whether or not that means they've decided to go beyond say the last 6 months of the war (or whatever we decided), I'm curious to see.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Re: that last point, recent publications indicate the series is not set during the last 6 months as was speculated, but somewhere in it's first year- there'll just be some rearranged timeline placements for existing CW sources featuring Anakin as a padawan so that they take place a little earlier. But that's a discussion for the continuity thread, not this one.

The jumping around will certainly make things...interesting, so far as episode order goes.

5. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    hi,

How many episodes are in season 1 and when will season 2 air?

thanks

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There are 22 episodes in Season 1 (with 4 additional episodes produced that were turned into the movie. Season 2 is expected to debut in the fall.

7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I prayed it would be back sooner than that!!!!!!

8. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Hey welcome to the boards person above me. :)

I never got the sense this was taking place during the last 6 months of the war, despite Grevious being in it. It def. feels like about 6 months into the war. I think Traviss said as much.

Also, I think it was Steve Sansweet who said it was late, but that was really early on before this thing got going. I believe.

Anyway, whatever they announce I am going to keep my order because it still works (meaning there is nothing to contradict it in the episodes).

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, initial speculation was it would be the last 6 months since that was the most logical place to fit it without having to rearrange the existing timeline- and references made by Traviss in TCW books could be retconned as being adaptation errors due to the uncertainty of the subject at the time of production. But not it seems they will be rearranged some of the timeline.

10. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I like that it is not chronological. Over the next few seasons, they can do a lot with that. For example, suppose your one of your favourite characters is killed. That does not mean that flashbacks or time-travel will be needed to tell more stories with that character, plus the added drama that you know how things will end for them

11. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Do we have a ,,strategical map,, for the clone wars like we had fore the Vong war?

12. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    I don't think so.

It would be nice it LFL/Leland started to rearrange the books/comics a bit to fit with the TCW stuff so far. And just for them to say "this is only tentative, guys" rather than us having to wait 3, 4 or even 5 years for this show to end.

The LFL Clone Wars timelines at the beginnings of the book are easy fixes, I'm just curious how they plan to address any specific dates mentioned in the books if it condradicts TCW.

13. darth-pedersen

darth-pedersen Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2005
    Where would you place the two new episodes?
    I myself can't find a logical place for them to really fit. But your order works perfectly for me, with two minor alteration. I have Ambush right after the Droid arch and Lair of Grievous after Defenders of Peace.

Great work on the order :)

14. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008

,,Where would you place the two new episodes? ,,

Definetly after ,,The Hidden Enemy,,

15. darth-pedersen

darth-pedersen Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2005
    Ahh.. So between Hidden Enemy and the movie, then?
    Your answer makes no sense and really doesn't help in any way

16. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

The "newsreel" footage on ROOKIES showed clips from LAIR OF GREVIOUS, CLOAK OF DARKNESS and AMBUSH. That could mean it happened after those episodes or if it truly was the "pilot" episode the "newsreel" footage was meant to show us what was to come in future episodes. It works either way....

17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Yeah, but even though those were all released out of order, they still let you know what the order WAS. Indiana Jones used real-world dates so you could tell what went where, and the SW films weren't THAT out of order - three films in order followed by three films that took place before those three but also in order.

And as others have mentioned, it's annoying when characters refer to things that have already happened in the story but which we know nothing about because that episode hasn't aired yet. It's like if the second episode aired of Battlestar Galactica was a third season episode with someone saying, "Yup, sucks that X is a Cylon" when the episode in which that reveal takes place hasn't aired yet.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  19. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Thanks! Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Your placing of Ambush works, but doesn't Lair of Grievous have to come earlier, like right after cloak of darkness, because it is the third part of the Gunray trilogy?

As for the last two episodes... tough call. I don't want them to follow the Defenders of Peace episode because then we would go from one virus episode to another with no break in between so I'm going to place them earlier. Here's the revised list. You'll notice I also moved Trespass because I though it would be nice to get into the war a bit more before we take a detour to a side story. I also moved rookies so that we open the series now with Hidden Enemy. It's not my favorite episode to open with because we don't really know the clones before we start to get into the whole "slaves to the Jedi" concept, but I think in the end we should start with Obi-wan and Anakin.

The Hidden Enemy
    The Clone Wars movie
    Bombad Jedi
    Cloak of Darkness
    Lair of Grevious
    Trespass
    Rookies
    Downfall of a Droid
    Duel of the Droids
    Blue Shadow Virus
    Mystery of a 1000 moons
    Dooku Captured
    The Gungan General
    Ambush
    Rising Malevolence
    Shadow of Malevolence
    Destroy Malevolence
    Jedi Crash
    Defenders of Peace
    Ryloth Trilogy

20. TheMuffin

TheMuffin Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Wow, and here I was thinking most of the episodes were in order aside from a couple stragglers. . . I think I need to watch them all over again.

21. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    This is actually, for the most part, just my personal preference list. In terms of flow. Nothing's official yet. Try watching this way, I think you'll like it. :)

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As fanboy says, that order is just a fan-made viewing order. For the most part, you're right that the airing order is more or less correct, with a couple exceptions (primarily Droids duo and Hidden Enemy).

Take a look at my post earlier in the thread and you'll find the chronological and production order viewing orders which would be the most accurate as far as we know.

23. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    Something I noticed about Jedi Crash is that the opening narration features scenes from Cloak of Darkness in particular.

I wonder if that means Cloak happened just before it.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    At the very least it suggests it happens after Cloak.

25. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Aren't there also shots of Anakin's fleet in the asteroid ring from "Downfall of a Droid"?

The stock shots in the intros are going to make this tough, huh?