main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars Chronological Order (TCW Episodes & Viewing Orders)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by han_solo_321, Feb 4, 2009.

1. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    Now that I'm getting in to this chronological thing, another suggestion I'd like to make is: put Hostage Crisis up to Children of the Force in front of the Ryloth trilogy, as originally intended (with both prod.order as well as airing order). Why? Look at the game Republic Heroes. Now, not a very good game, but still a source produced by Lucasfilm itself and thus to be taken seriously. We see Cad Bane appearing on Ryloth, just after the battle of Ryloth. Anakin and Ahsoka meet him and they actually have some sort of conversation like, we know each other. Anakin and Ahsoka are familiar with Bane, and the other way around. How, if this is the first time they meet?

Only one solution, Hostage/Holocron happens before the Ryloth trilogy. There is only one other explanation for it that could be true, but is highly unlikely: the Ryloth trilogy happens, the battle is over, they go back, fight Bane, and go back to Ryloth to finish the job. But that'd be weird. So what I personally think is:

- Hostage Crisis
    - Holocron Heist
    - Cargo of Doom
    - Children of the Force
    - Storm Over Ryloth
    - Innocents of Ryloth
    - Liberty on Ryloth
    (Republic Heroes)
    - Jedi Crash
    etc.

2. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    To be fair though, there is a difference between infomation that comes straight from the horse's mouth and stuff written by nameless flunkies who watch over the official site. And the stuff the flunkies come up with can change over time; the official site once claimed a Super Star Destroyer was 12 km long when the official length has now become 19 km. For the time being, I'll treat the official site's word with less authority than Dave Filoni's.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I believe it's actually Pablo who writes the guides, so it's not exactly a nameless flunkie ;) He'd be fairly authoritative when it comes to the LFL end of things versus simply the original chronological intent of the production staff (since the original intent can be officially overwritten by airing schedules, web comics, etc when an official episode order is established). I would assume he'll be overseeing the official episode order list that was said to forthcoming on starwars.com sometime this season, for example.

Well, keep in mind that only Cargo of Doom was intended to be set pre-Ryloth, as that was originally the only Bane episode created. Once they were pleased with the character, they took COD out of Season 1 so that they could expand it into multiple episodes about Bane, thus giving us Hostage, Heist, etc (which is why they're all season 2 productions, except for COD, with Heist being a late-Season 1 production). So it's hard to say that all non-COD Bane episodes were intended to be pre-Ryloth.

As for the meeting, it doesn't necessarily need to be their first meeting. Not to mention Bane recognized Skywalker in Hostage Crisis from just a glimpse, so they're seemingly at least somewhat familiar with each other. Maybe Bane and Anakin had heard/read about each other prior to Republic Heroes, even if they hadn't met, which is why they seemed somewhat familiar.

4. Armchair_Admiral

May 31, 2005
    Anyway, having watched "Bounty Hunters", I've come up with my revised episode order (changes are bolded):

1. The Mandalore Plot/Voyage of Temptation/Duchess of Mandalore
    2. Trespass
    3. Cat and Mouse/The Hidden Enemy/The New Padawan/Castle of Deception/Castle of Doom/Castle of Salvation
    4. Ambush
    5. Downfall of a Droid/Duel of the Droids
    6. Rookies
    7. Rising Malevolence/Shadow of Malevolence/Destroy Malevolence
    8. Bombad Jedi/Cloak of Darkness/Lair of Grievous
    9. Dooku Captured/The Gungan General
    10. Jedi Crash/Defenders of Peace
    11. Blue Shadow Virus/Mystery of a Thousand Moons
    12. Bounty Hunters
    13. Hostage Crisis/Holocron Heist/Cargo of Doom/Children of the Force
    14. Storm Over Ryloth/Innocents of Ryloth/Liberty on Ryloth
    15. Senate Spy/Landing at Point Rain/Weapons Factory/Legacy of Terror/Brain Invaders
    16. Lightsaber Lost
    17. Grievous Intrigue/The Deserter
    18. Senate Murders

6: I now like the idea that "Cat and Mouse" was the first time Admiral Yularen had a taste of Anakin's command style, plus there was really no need for Ahsoka and Anakin to tag-team in this episode anyway. I now place "Rookies" between the R2 and Malevolence arcs, since I like to think Dooku was keeping tabs on General Grievous's use of the Malevolence due to previous failures regarding Skytop Station's destruction and the botched invasion of Kamino.

12: "Bounty Hunters" clearly takes place after the Florrum duology, and will very likely instigate the opening events in "Holocron Heist". It's a good bet it takes place after the Lurmen duology too considering the annoyance Obi-Wan shows towards people who wouldn't stand up for themselves.....

16-17: See previous posts.

5. FistoFan93

Jul 27, 2009
    My personal order is a little different:

1. Cat and Mouse, The Hidden Enemy, the Movie
    2. Ambush
    3. Downfall of a Droid/Duel of the Droids
    4. Rookies
    5. Rising Malevolence/Shadow of Malevolence/Destroy Malevolence
    6. The Mandalore Plot/Voyage of Temptation/Duchess of Mandalore
    7. Bombad Jedi/Cloak of Darkness/Lair of Grievous
    8. Dooku Captured/The Gungan General
    9. Hostage Crisis
    10. Holocron Heist/Cargo of Doom/Children of the Force
    11. Storm Over Ryloth/Innocents of Ryloth/Liberty on Ryloth
    12. Jedi Crash/Defenders of Peace
    13. Geonosis 5-part
    14. Lightsaber Lost
    15. Grievous Intrigue/The Deserter
    16. Bounty Hunters*
    17. Senate Murders

* Considering watching the episode and having Ohnaka say: we go way back about Skywalker/Kenobi, I don't think these can be placed so close to each other.

6. jonas_jade

jonas_jade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2005
    I always thought that Hostage Crisis happen after the Holocron Trilogy, mainly because of that 'Skywalker!' line, and because his interaction when he encounters Anakin in COD seems more like a first meeting to me. Bane always refers to him as 'Jedi' like they've never met.

Can anyone think of a reason why it couldn't happen that way (aside from airing order)?

7. FistoFan93

Jul 27, 2009
    The online web comics have established that Hostage Crisis takes place before the Holocron trilogy, because of the appearance of TODO.

8. jonas_jade

jonas_jade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2005
    Ah, thanks for that, I never really got into the online comics...

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Updates and changes:

-217: Cat and Mouse
    -201: The Hidden Enemy
    -118/TCW: The New Padawan
    -101/TCW: Castle of Doom
    -103/TCW: Castle of Deception
    -104/TCW: Castle of Salvation
    -102: Downfall of a Droid
    -106: Duel of the Droids
    -108: Ambush
    -107: Rising Malevolence
    -109: Shadow of Malevolence
    -111: Destroy Malevolence
    -213: The Mandalore Plot
    -121: Voyage of Temptation
    -216: Duchess of Mandalore

-105: Bombad Jedi
    -110: Cloak of Darkness
    -112: Lair of Grievous
    -114: Rookies
    -116: Dooku Captured
    -120: The Gungan General
    -115: Storm Over Ryloth
    -117: Innocents of Ryloth
    -119: Liberty on Ryloth
    -122: Jedi Crash
    -124: Defenders of Peace
    -125: Trespass
    -126: Blue Shadow Virus
    -202: Mystery of a Thousand Moons
    -219: Bounty Hunters
    -204: Hostage Crisis
    -123: Holocron Heist
    -113: Cargo of Doom
    -203: Children of the Force
    -205: Senate Spy
    -207: Landing at Point Rain
    -208: Weapons Factory
    -209: Legacy of Terror
    -212: Brain Invaders
    -211: Lightsaber Lost
    -214: Grievous Intrigue
    -206: The Deserter
    -210: Senate Murders

I've relocated the Mandalore Trilogy to accommodate the episode guide statement of Cat and Mouse being the earliest-set episode. I've gone with a pre-Nute Trilogy/pre-Ryloth placement for now, to better explain the presence of the senators on the council of neutral systems.

I've gone with a pre-Hostage Crisis setting for Bounty Hunters. The surprise at Confederate presence above Felucia and the losing Republic battle at the start of Heist not jiving well with a medical station being left alone there makes me think BH is a prelude to the events glimpsed at in HH.

This way, Anakin and co leave Felucia, get a lift back to Coruscant to warn the Republic. Anakin gets a break while Republic forces are deployed the Felucia to repel the arriving Confederate presence. Hostage Crisis then happens. Then Anakin and co head off back to Felucia where the battle has expanded to a major battle and eventually have to retreat.

10. FistoFan93

Jul 27, 2009
    Clever thinking! Still can't wait for an official time line, though.

11. Armchair_Admiral

May 31, 2005
    My revised episode list:

1. Cat and Mouse/The Hidden Enemy/The New Padawan/Castle of Deception/Castle of Doom/Castle of Salvation
    2. Ambush
    3. Downfall of a Droid/Duel of the Droids
    4. Rookies
    5. Rising Malevolence/Shadow of Malevolence/Destroy Malevolence
    6. Bombad Jedi/Cloak of Darkness/Lair of Grievous
    7. Dooku Captured/The Gungan General
    8. Tresspass
    9. Jedi Crash/Defenders of Peace
    10. Blue Shadow Virus/Mystery of a Thousand Moons
    11. Bounty Hunters
    12. Hostage Crisis/Holocron Heist/Cargo of Doom/Children of the Force
    13. Storm Over Ryloth/Innocents of Ryloth/Liberty on Ryloth
    14. Senate Spy/Landing at Point Rain/Weapons Factory/Legacy of Terror/Brain Invaders
    15. The Mandalore Plot/Voyage of Temptation/Duchess of Mandalore
    16. Lightsaber Lost
    17. Grievous Intrigue/The Deserter
    18. The Zillo Beast/The Zillo Beast Strikes Back
    19. Senate Murders

8, 15, and 18: I no longer consider it necessary to believe that Ahsoka has to hang around Anakin most of the time. The reality is that she, her master, and Obi-Wan have to be shuffled around alot due to wartime pressures.
    15: The fact that Onaconda Farr and Orn Free Taa show up as Council of Neutral Systems members in no way proves the Satine trilogy occurs before the invasions of Rodia and Ryloth. In Onaconda Farr's case, there's no proof in the show that he represented Rodia after that bribery scandal of his, but it is possible that he found employment again as a CNS spokesperson in the Senate. As for Orn Free Taa, keeping Ryloth officially netural might have been part of his pledge to resistance leader Cham Syndulla that the Republic wouldn't be "occupiers". Therefore, I placed the Satine arc back in viewing order rather than before "Cat and Mouse".
    18. The presence of Y-Wings means that this episode can't take place before the Malevolence trilogy. The mentions of a Republic offensive is probable evidence that this episode takes place quite late into the Clone Wars when the Outer Rim Sieges occured, but not late enough that Phase II armor is commonplace.

12. mighty_mouse_droid

mighty_mouse_droid Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2010

Sorry if someone has brought this up already, but have we considered that "Holocron Heist" and "Cargo of Doom" take place a lot SOONER, like say, after the film?

Look at Yularen's reaction when he hears Anakin's plan. He's so outraged at it, like him and Anakin haven't been working together for a long time. I doubt he would have reacted the same way after they'd already done a bunch of missions together.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's probably just an artifact of those episodes originally being set mid-Season 1 before they decided to expand Bane's character into more episodes, generating Hostage Crisis, etc. The associated webcomic for Hostage Crisis establishes it as taking place before HH & COD due to the presence of the Seth Green droid destroyed in HH.

So, for the Zillo duo, I don't see any reason to give it a placement out of air order. The only possible continuity links I see are A) Palpatine's holocast speech seen in Lightsaber Lost and, B) Rex's "A lot of the General's plans involve falling." joke, which, to me, only really works if it's set after the Geonosis episodes with him falling off the fortress wall.

The only implication there is that, perhaps, the Zillo Duo takes place in closer approximation to Lightsaber Lost, depending on how long that particular speech would be playing like that.

-222: The Zillo Beast
    -223: The Zillo Beast Strikes Back

14. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    The only problem with the Zillo duology is that, once again, Ahsoka falls off the face of the earth with no explanation whatsoever. This can't take place pre Christophsis because we're already seeing ARC-170s, but it really bugs me that Ahsoka has become such an unimportant character. She's Anakin's apprentice, she should be right next to him, unless there's good reason not to.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I forget- but wasn't she supposed to stay at the temple for awhile/be punished in Lightsaber Lost? Maybe the last few eps is still during that probation period.

16. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    I have to agree with Gry Sarth. My personal timeline has a lot of non-ashoka episodes before TCW movie because ashoka is anakin's padawan. I don't like how she is randomly missing in some episodes after the movie from anakin. I hope the writers explain this in episodes so when the official timeline comes out we will see there was an actually reason for her absence and not because they couldn't find use for her character.

The explanation I have come up with (and stole from other people) is during cloak of darkness obi-wan, anakin, and ashoka were nearby but the jedi council got a led that dooku was nearby but they couldn't just have one jedi take nute gunry back to the core by herself so they had ashoka go with her while obi-wan and anakin went to face dooku suspecting that if ashoka came along that she would be killed and then goes to remeet them afterwards when they dig them out of the cave.

Then she is gone recovering from the blue shadow virus which takes her longer to recover cause she was exposed to it longer so that is why she is gone for a few more episodes. Finally, like the post said above me, any remaining episodes with her not in it is because she in a time out in the Jedi library.

17. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Ahsoka was punished in Holocron Heist for disobeying a direct order to retreat during a battle on Felucia. She was then assigned to guard duty at the Jedi library.

It was never clear that she was punished for losing her lightsaber. I doubt that Jedi Master Tera Sinube would have ratted on her as Ahsoka had already learned her lesson.

18. mighty_mouse_droid

Apr 11, 2010
    I wasn't talking about the placement of the Bane episodes among them, but in the series as a whole. And, given the amount of chronological referance we get in each episode, I think we need to examine the personality of each character.

That being said, I doubt Yularen would have responded the same way had he and Anakin been on 100 missions together already. So I think all the Bane stuff happens earlier on as so:

-222: The Zillo Beast
    -223: The Zillo Beast Strikes Back

19. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003

Maybe you could see it as a result of Ahsoka being 'given' to Anakin rather than him requesting an apprentice. Yoda and Obi-Wan thought it would be good for him and he accepted it but the Jedi may realise that it is not practical for Anakin to teach a padawan full time. He is one of the most powerful Jedi, and although he is reckless he is one of their best generals. So the realities of the war mean that Anakin cannot effectively teach and be everywhere he needs to be to fight in the war. So Ahsoka may often be looked after by other masters when Anakin has to be elsewhere or perhaps when another Jedi is on an operation that Ahsoka could learn something useful from, so she goes to them.

I suppose the Jedi would not normally do that but it is just due to the war being fought and Anakin's role in it. They agreed that Anakin should teach a padawan for his own sake, but the Jedi know that they must also make allowances and not hinder his other duties too much since they still need him to take an active role in the fighting.

Some people comment that Ahsoka is too powerful but I like to think that is the reason Yoda chose her to be Anakin's apprentice. He purposely chose a student who was powerful and advanced in skills for Anakin so he could teach her but not be held up too much by the task.

20. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    This cannot work for a of multiple seasons. Mainly, you skipped the Wild Space novel, and it does connect to Downfall of a Droid and Duel of the Droids. Placing Jedi Crash after the movie makes no sense. Again, you skipped a novel.

21. mighty_mouse_droid

Apr 11, 2010
    Sorry, I didn't read that novel. SO then they're after the R2 duology. And I say that because of Yularen's reaction: "Are all Jedi so reckless?" This isn't their permanent location, but, in any case, the Bane and Aayla arcs take place somewhat EARLY.

22. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Downfall of a Droid and Duel of the Droids take place soon after the movie. The way 2ndQuest had the timeline was good.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I understand your suggestion about the Bane episodes, but what's your reasoning for the early placement of Jedi Crash/Defenders again?

24. mighty_mouse_droid

Apr 11, 2010
    During the opening battle from Jedi Crash, Anakin gets injured and, they get him onboard that Consular-class frigate. Then they try to board with the Resolute in the middle of the battle and Yularen replies very pissed: "Are all Jedi so reckless?"

Do you really think he would have responded that way has he and Anakin known each other for a while?

25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I disagree. Yularen could have said that anytime. He hasn't met Aayla in any episodes, and her acts made him assume that perhaps all Jedi are reckless. Nothing suggests that these episodes take place after the film. Also, you said you haven't read Stealth or Wild Space yet, so you're missing a lot of information.