main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars- Episode 101: Ambush Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I would prefer them to stick to the original version if they delve into Grievous' origins. Maybe they can do it so that it's still somewhat consistent.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It'd be massively awesome to see Qymaen lead the Kaleesh into battle against the Huk/Yam'ril hordes.

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/db/QymaenRonderuHuks.jpg]

3. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Filoni seems to be the guy to do that sort of thing. As a fan, he seems to respect the novels and such more than GL even. He's made references to wanting to show aspects of the SW universe we've never seen before in a way that makes me think he wants to bring some of this material to animated life. I suspect EU fans have a lot to look forward to!

4. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    Actually, the novels are canon too. :) George Lucas himself said as much.

5. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    Acutally true Star Wars canon (G and T) are the six films, the Clone Wars film, the Clone Wars series, and the upcoming live action series.
    Everything else is EU imo. The film and TV shows are set up by Lucas and he has the final say and is very involved with them, everything else he just lets the authors do what they want to do.
    The only EU GL has been involved with more than other stuff is TFU, the Clone Wars microseries, Labyrinth of Evil, the film novelizations, and the intro of Shatterpoint.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, Lucas has been involved to one degree or another in several other EU projects- Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire, Starfighter, Jedi Academy Trilogy and the Republic comics, for example. Sometimes it's merely vetoing certain ideas, other times he's actively suggesting alternatives and providing full backstories.

Lucas has not said the novels are canon. The closest comments I recall would be how "his world" (the movies and other projects he involves himself in) overlap or interact with the "other world" and that the novels, etc are contributions to the universe he knew would be too big for just him to tell.

Regardless, let's not sidetrackl this thread with a canon discussion, use the existing CW contnuity thread if you'd like to cotninue this line of discussion. Keep to discussing Ambush in this thread.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I enjoyed this simply for Ventress, and we finally got to see how Ventress would do against Yoda.

The answer was mildly surprising, to be fair; Incredibly badly.

I at least expected her to get somewhere with Yoda, but, while I love Ventress, I wasn't concerned; it simply made Yoda that much more fun, and that's worth even a slight demeaning of Ventress. Apprentice Ventress, might I note. I loved Dooku and Yoda's interaction, and the wonderfully traitorous response of Dooku to losing his challenge. Perfectly in-character.

I really didn't realise that wasn't Lee. [face_blush]

The battle droid humour had me rolling my eyes a couple of times, but generally I loved it. They're so stupid. :D

Overall, a near-perfect episode. [face_peace]

8. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I'd like to third on what 2nd Quest and Arwan Fenn said earlier...I would totally probably geek out seeing Qymaen/Grievous go nuts on Huk as a flashback and yes, I think they should totally stick to the backstory presented in 'Eyes of Revolution' and some of the stuff Abel Pena wrote in that Insider article.

9. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I loved the Dooku-Ventress interaction too. Also agree that Yoda putting the move on her was great and funny - even if it took her down a notch.

10. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I wouldn't say it took her down a notch at all, its common fact that pretty much no one can beat yoda up until ROTS.

11. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    That's just how good Yoda is, and how far Ventress has to go.

Kinda reminded me of Crouching Tiger when Li Mu Bai is basically toying with Jen Yu. [face_laugh]

12. Ulic QelDroma

Ulic QelDroma Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 1999
    UK fans ... this is not a drill, repeat, this is not a drill!

The cartoon network website has both "Ambush" and "Rising Malevolence" available to those outside the USA. It's probably a mistake, one which will soon be corrected, so hurry!

I've just watched them both ... sweet!!

13. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I don't have a dish or cable so I got my sister to Tivo the premiere episodes and I thought they were both terrific. Loved all the quite meditative moments Yoda had. The droid humor was a little silly yet I was laughing my butt off. "But I just got promoted." I do feel they're going to have to tone it down a bit.

14. JBRO13

JBRO13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2003
    I, as many have noted, really do hope the frequency of Battle Droid "humor" is decreased. That stuff is nothing but brutal, so far. The Yoda episode would have been phenomenal if it weren't for the abundance of "time for a laugh!" detours.

Also: while I realize that it is a show meant for children, the dialogue could stand to be a little less expository and more realistic. The Ahsoka/Anakin interactions in episode 102 especially were really really really rigid and clunky.

15. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I liked the first episode because it paid homage to the OT Yoda...and with all the droids going after Yoda and the clones I expected the droid humor so I wasn't too distracted by it...but yes, they should be careful not to overdo it.

16. EUReader

EUReader Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 10, 2004
    I didn't like it very much. The droid humor was cringing. Yoda was cool in it, and Ventress was awesome, but overall I thought the show was a little lackluster.

17. ChrisMathers

ChrisMathers Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2008
    Are you kidding? I love the droid humor. Think about Terminator humor for a minute - Terminators are intimidating, scary, murderous, cold and emotionless, and yet they're funny as hell without even trying. Look at Cameron for instance - in one episode of the Sarah Connor Chronicles I recently saw, she was trying to get Sarah to let her kill a bird nesting in the chimney, a lot like a cat.

Battle droids on the other hand are stupid, cheap, incapable of thinking outside their programming, inferior to clones, and about as accurate as a drunk shotgunner firing from the hip while jogging. They're not SUPPOSED to be menacing, that's not a legitimate complaint. They're built as tools, they function as tools, they pretty much are tools. An army of tools. I mean, nobody's afraid of hammers, are they? But if someone was swinging a hammer at your skull, then it becomes a different story, and you're still not scared of the hammer, you're scared of the guy. I personally can't help but laugh every time the battle droids do something so stupid it reminds me of Beavis and Butthead.

As for the clones, I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the Lieutenant was Thire from ROTS. The chaingun was awesome, and cutting the rifle into a crutch was just smarth thinking. The scenes with Yoda flipping out were well-done. I loved Ventress' line "He'll be the small, shriveled green one...WITH THE LIGHTSABER!" And as for the super battle droids...I thought the voice kinda reminded me of RoboCop.

18. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Saw the first episode last night. I liked it. I thought it was much better than the preceding animated film they released in theatres. It's hard to really go wrong with Yoda though.

19. Hogne

Hogne Jedi Master star 1

Sep 21, 2004
    An ok, intro. But I think the second episode was much better.

I really hope that the pathetic attempts at droid humour isn't going to be a staple of the show. It's only distracting and annoying.

Now, if all jedi had been as good as they are shown in this show, Order 66 would never have happened. :)

20. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    Did anyone else enjoy the scene in the cave; with Yoda teaching the clones about the Force and talking about each of their traits, and how they're different from one another, even if they're are clones.

The whole episode was amazing and fun.

21. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Not having seen the movie, I went in with no expectations. Therefore, I really enjoyed this episode. The animation and music was fantastic, the action was very good and didn't take away from character development. Yes, the droid humor was a little annoying, and Yoda's dialogue sounded a little off, but overall, a fun episode. Can't wait to watch the next one.

22. CloneCaptainRex

CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2008
    Bumping for tonight.

23. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I think this episode is going to play so much better now than it did as a pilot episode. Now that we've gotten to know the clones and Ventress and had some build up to Yoda. It's a pretty quiet episode and a good break to all the action we've gotten lately. Especially the outstanding 1000 moon episode.

24. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    I think I'll watch this one again tonight.

Should be interesting to view it now in light of other episodes.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Still the best episode of the series so far. Nothing against the other episodes, but this one takes the cake for me. Yoda just sitting there as all the droids and tanks come up, decapitating the battle droid while its talking to Ventress, utterly pwning Ventress... simply awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.