main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars- Episode 102: Rising Malevolence Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I also like how the new ion cannon superweapon is also sorta a reference to the Hoth ion cannon back in ESB. Although that one was groundbound, but a few shots from that ion cannon was able to disable an Imperial-class Star Destroyer, enough for transports to fly right by it. Wonder if they'll ever retcon in some sort of link between the ion cannon there and the Malevolence's ion cannon. The Malevolence's ion cannon is more dangerous of course, since its mobile, encompasses a huge area (big enough to easily hit three Venators at once), and the Malevolence has plenty of normal turbolasers to finish off all the disabled ships, but the Hoth cannon was still able to work on much bigger Imperial-class Star Destroyers too, just the Rebels didn't have enough ships to blow up any Star Destroyers quickly enough. And yeah, it was a nice homage to the Death Star superlaser too. Wonder if those Death Star plans will be mentioned in this series at all, come to think of it.

2. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Loved this second episode and I would agree that the droids 'humming' as they went about killing the clones... very creepy. Loved it! Plo Koon's voice was also a nice touch that I liked. Can't wait to see the 'introduction' of the y-wing bombers next episode.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I thought that was implied.

Please no.

4. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    As has been said by many, I thought that the hunter droids were fairly menacing. I liked the whole atmosphere of suspense in this episode too.

I'm a bit worried about the scenes with Palpatine and the jedi, though. More scenes like that could undermine Palpatines credibility to us viewers. We know who he really is and we know that the jedi don't. Having Palpatine look subtly worried about any survivors detracts from his persona of supreme confidence, imo. At this early stage in the series, I'd rather the Sidious/Palpatine thing be left more understated.

5. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Yeah, the main thing I liked from the films is that Palpatine pretty much stayed behind the scenes in most of the Jedi dealings, it gave him that disinterested feel sometimes...it does seem that he maybe playing his hand too early by having himself in with the Jedi here, but what better way also to insinuate yourself from suspicion than to be close to those you are trying to decieve,IMO.

6. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    "My father told me many things...he told me keep your friends close, but your enemies closer...";)

7. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    This episode was a lot better than Ambush. There was more going on and the exictement was kicked up a few notches. Also, this show really shines when they are in space on space ships and what not.

Plo Koon was cool, the voice worked. The Clones were far more interesting here than in either the previous episode or the movie. The stuff with the dead Clones in the other pod was great and I finally found myself caring about the clones -- still not much though, but I did feel sad about Order 66 as far as how they too got suckered into it because of the way they seemed to care so much about keeping the Jedi safe at this point. Plo's whole deal with them not being expendable to him was touching.

Anakin's change is so abrupt to me to see him as this wise, patient man. I understand they want to make him more heroic and likeable, but that doesn't mean they have to go way over the top in making him a totally different person. But it was nice that he still went his own way and was smart about how he did it. Ahsoka was okay and we only got one "Artoo-ie." Anakin's snips comment came once and it was sort of condescending so it worked for me.

The ion weapon was a great touch and it worked really well. I always just took that weapon for granted, but it was cool the way they made me see how much of a threat that would be. I also like that the new and cool technology of the PT (medical droids, ion cannons, ect.) become the leftover crap the Rebellion has to make due with in the OT.

I would probably watch this episode a second time and will probably tune in next week if not TIVO the episode.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I agree that Ahsoka was far less annoying in this episode. Although "Artooie" is still atrocious.

With respect to Anakin, if they could show teeth grinding in animation (maybe they can), that's what I expect Anakin is doing when he's teaching Ahsoka. He's obviously restraining himself and acting more mature because he's got to train Ahsoka.

When you think of ROTS Anakin, I don't think the TCW version is that far off. Just, as someone else mentioned, Anakin The Hero, at the best of times.

I wish we saw more of this Anakin in the PT....

EDIT: Just wanted to point out I'm fairly impressed by the OS for once. They've got a mini-site for each episode, with a preview, brief synopsis, detailed synopsis, episode commentary, and sketches.

9. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Yeah, I was going to post that, but I didn't want to sound too cliche.:p

10. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Other points:

Obi-wan's voice is spot on, but his look is weak and too straight lined - especially the beard.

The quick shot of Grevious laughing as they blew up the Republic fleet was perfect.

The ending with Grevious failing at the silence after it. I was like "oh crap" here it comes as the camera found Dooku. Even though I knew nothing could happen in the back of my mind because of ROTS, I was still like something bad will happen.

Come to think of it they could still mess Grevious up if they got angry and he would just have to rebuild himself. But if Grevious doesn't fear Jedi why would he fear Dooku? Would he actually take a beating from Dooku or would he fight back. I digress...\

Dooku is just so much better in this cartoon. So much more sinister and less weak old man. He's the Dooku I picture in my head when I read the books and the script.

The droids, I agree, were improved here, but the goofiness still has to be way toned down, IMO. Humor can be found in other ways, in other places. What happened to wit? We don't need slapstick in SW and if we do it's Han getting hit over the head with a hydrospanner and blaming Chewie.

The Mynock is cool and I'm glad Anakin and Ahsoka have a ship. I'm really looking forward to seeing some awesome Anakin flying (the Falcon stuff in the OT was amazing) and Anakin is supposed to be "the best star pilot in the galaxy" after all.

11. earlchinna

earlchinna Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2004
    awesome!!!!!!!!!
    the 1st was great too, but this one go even further.... pure star wars atmosphere, melting all the elements I loved from both trilogies: fresh and old school at the same time!..

loved it! waiting for the next episodes!

12. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Thanks for the OS tip, Garth. I'll check it out.

As far as Anakin, maybe he is trying to follow the councils rules and protocol, but then doing so leads (later on) to something happening with Ahsoka, and then that's why in ROTS he is so opposed to them and angry about all that. But that seems to deep and I'm not sure Lucas wants to make that kind of social commentary. Don't get me wrong, I love this more heroic Anakin and it was good that he WAS doing his own thing, it's just how you go about doing it... but I don't know something was off. Maybe I expected more of a transition or some commentary on how much he has change or something. But then again he was pretty heroic and noble at the beginning of ROTS -- it wasn't until his dream -- which he had after he killed Dooku. Hmmm... I wonder if the Dark Side DOES make you stronger... LOL.

I also think Palpatine will have a hand in Ahsoka's death. How cool would it be if she found out what he was planning and he killed her? But I feel like TCW isn't going to reveal that Palpy is Sidious -- think I read that somewhere -- so I guess that's not meant to be.

13. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008

The thing is, as the Supreme Chancellor he's apparently the supreme commander of the Grand Army. So he's going to be involved in those discussions.

And if he acts all disinterested...that might rouse the Jedi's suspicion. So, he acts. For the sake of this persona he's created for himself as this caring politician, he acts like he cares.

14. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    But children don't always catch on to wit. So it makes sense to have some slapstick in there for their sake. But I agree in that we need other humor than just slapstick.

(Like the creepiness of the slapstick droids doing their goofy thing as they go about killing clones without any remorse.)

Oh, I don't want to be this guy.......must.....not.......be......this....guy.................

The ship is called the Twilight, not the Mynock. (Assuming you were referring to Anakin's ship from the episode)

15. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

Did we get any Grevious theme music? I didn't notice it.

16. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    LOL. The Mynock is Anakin's great great great (?) grandson's ship in Legacy. My mistake. Twilight's a much cooler name than Mynock anyway.

17. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005

Yeah, but he has a certain respect for Dooku...the Sith Lord 'saved' his life after his shuttle 'accident' and gave him a new virtually indestructable body and reflexes which allows him to fight Jedi on his own terms(in regards to lightsaber duels, not the Force). I don't think he fears Dooku, but he definitely knows what Dooku can do to him.

And he could fight back, but only for training purposes, not I don't think because he is angry with Dooku.

And I didn't take notice if they played Grievous' theme or not...something to watch or listen for in the next episode.[face_thinking]

18. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    This might have been mentioned before, but this episode fleshed out Plo Koon for me. It also made his relationship with the clones more personal. It makes his death in ROTS - by the clones no less - much more meaningful. It's funny because when you watched ROTS before this series, Plo Koon was just another random Jedi in the Order 66 montage, but now, it means a little bit more.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't recall hearing it.

20. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    That's actually a very interesting idea. It would make for a very powerful story, the kind I'm expecting to play out for little Ahsoka. I'm not saying I hope it happens, tho. I'd actually like to see her survive so we can follow her adventures as a grownup in the LAS!

Anakin doesn't seem that overwhelmingly different than his PT persona to me, although we are seeing more sides to him. When he is telling Ahsoka the importance of how she goes about doing something echoes AOTC when he is explaining to Padme how he as a Jedi can know love.

21. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    SJ, it's possible he may have done that. There is a force ability to put a bubble around yourself to protect against gasses. He could do so in a vacuum but his air supply would be limited to what was in his force bubble before evacuating the survival capsule. Jedi can also put themselves into a meditative state to slow down body functions to conserve air supply, food needs etc.

As for a communication device, if I were Plo, I'd have a subtucanious one implanted near my mastoid bone. I'd e able to 'hear' it and respond very quietly.

A responsonce to the question about Clone armour being space worthy. It's built to act like a higher tech hazmat suit and a space suit. Body suit acts as a pressure suit, neck seal and helment seals it off against a vacuum or deadly atmosphereic gases. The clones maybe cna sustain themselves in a vacuum or otherwise for a day maybe longer if they've gone training in slowing their body functions down to conserve their airsupply longer.

22. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Is that still the official backstory? I thought I read they changed it.

23. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    They just added to his history. Nothing really changed.

24. Nebucchad

Nebucchad Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Thought this was worthy to be mentioned.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/category/ratings/nielsen-top-cable-tv-show-ratings

Good start, rating wise, and for me, quality wise too.

25. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Yeah, wasn't it the highest rated show ever on the cartoon network?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.