main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars- Episode 102: Rising Malevolence Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Yep. I read that on TheForce news a few days ago. Pretty cool.

They showed Stormtroopers standing outside the Death Star when the Millenium Falcon was captured in ANH so it's canon.

Plus the Clonetroopers battling in space on the final episodes of Genndy's 2D animated series.

2. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    It was a ratings coup!!!

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/10/clone_wars_scores_best_ratings.php

3. bobevans20

bobevans20 Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2008
    This episode is much darker then the first and for that reason is why it is my favorite episode. My favorite part is when he uses the force to turn that pod around,and it had a dead clone sticking out of a busted window.

4. Biddybot

Biddybot Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2002
    Someone with more computer time on their hands is going to have to dig into this new version of Grievous's background for me because I'm now confused. I thought this was the new Grievous background--it's supposed to be from the Clone Wars press kit:

'General Grievous
    A highly-skilled warlord from planet Kalee, General Grievous always wanted to be a Jedi but lacked the requisite Force abilities. Realizing that his powers would never equal a Jedi?s, Grievous vowed to destroy the Jedi Order. The first step in his diabolical plot was to undergo a series of surgical procedures that replaced his body parts with robotic appendages that give him superhuman strength and agility. Now, countless procedures later, Grievous lives as a man trapped inside a machine?s body, a sacrifice he has made to have powers that, finally, rival those of a Jedi Knight. Ruthless and unrelentingly cruel, Grievous takes joy only when inflicting suffering upon others. Grievous is third-in-command to the Separatist forces, behind only Dooku and, ultimately, Darth Sidious.'

According to this, it sounds to me as though it was Grievous's choice to become a cyborg and that he did so purely out of bitter jealousy because he couldn't become a Jedi. I presumed his background was changed in order to simplify his motivation to become eee-vil for tender kiddie sensibilities. (Which I don't have a problem with, actually, even if I think it's a dopey move.)

5. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    As long as he becomes a menacing threat and not a boring dude, I'm fine with any changes.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The "new" backstory isn't necessarily incompatible with the existing one and could just be, as you suggest, a simpler one for the kid audiences than the original, with a few new elements added in.

For example, the cyborg improvements could be after the initial cyborging process is done to him (sort of a "well, if i'm stuck in this thing, might as well try to equal a Jedi's abilities" notion) and his jealousy of Jedi could be worked into his motivations either liteally or metaphorically for fighting the Huk.

7. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I tend to go with the earlier version where his shuttle crash was blamed on the Jedi and they planted in his mind that they did it and he wants revenge...it makes his character have a deeper meaning than just doing it because he couldn't be a Jedi.

I agree with EarthKnight, I don't really have a problem with it just as long as they make him as ruthless as possible(and he kicks Jedi butt!:p ) But yeah, I go with the 'Eyes of Revolution' backstory more than this one.

8. Stormie421

Stormie421 Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2008
    Why is this thread called "Beware the Malevolence!" when the name of the episode is Rising Malevolence? :confused:

9. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    For fun?

I like the new backstory better. It's more SW, even if it does make Grevious a little more childlike.

Whah, whah I want a lightsaber, too! :_|

EDIT: by more SW I mean more of an archtype and simplistic.

10. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Yeah, but the great thing I like about the original is that it fleshes out his character more, gives it more depth...but I understand why they did it here even if I totally don't agree with it. But hey, it's a fun show thus far and I can't wait until tonight!:D

11. Ulic QelDroma

Ulic QelDroma Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 1999
    UK fans ... this is not a drill, repeat, this is not a drill!

The cartoon network website has both "Ambush" and "Rising Malevolence" available to those outside the USA. It's probably a mistake, one which will soon be corrected, so hurry!

I've just watched them both ... sweet!! :)

12. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I love how Plo Koon sounds like John Rhys-Davies. Awesome. I agree that the droid humor mixed with killing helpless clones was quite disturbing.

13. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    Thanks for mentioning, apparently it's also available to Canada. :)

Just saw "Ambush" on Space tonight and now this episode on the Cartoon Network's site. Plo Koon is just so.........awesome. I was hoping he would sound like he did in the Galactic Battlegrounds game, but his voice in this series is just as good. I like that the show has the Jedi showing concern for the clones, and not seeing them as merely expendable. I loved the way he was using his Force telekinesis, and hopes he shows up more often.

I found it strange that they showed the clones dying in space as they did. Pretty unpredictable and brutal, did not see that one coming at all.

That was a nasty glare Dooku gave Grievous. Looked like he was going to kill him on the spot for the Jedi escaping. Then there's Ashoka's eyes. Dude, they are huge!

14. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    Yeah, re-watched it last night just to watch that part again, the tension...and Dooku did not look pleased. Very chilling.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You're right- I had made the thread title based on the episode name listed on starwars.com, which was incorrect apparently.

16. Tachikoma-Kun

Tachikoma-Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2005
    Clone Wars is great science fantasy. Great Television. Great Story telling. Great Animation (right up there with Cowboy Bebop or Ghost In The Shell.) Even the bashers should watch it. And I was a basher before. So I really love this animation a lot.

17. Pabawan

Pabawan LFL Story Group star 1 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    episode name listed on starwars.com, which was incorrect apparently.

Actually, that was the title of a preview article. http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/20081001news.html

ph

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Whoops, then that was my mistake. [face_blush]

I know- let's just rename the episode so that way I was never wrong... ;)

19. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    I like 'Beware the Malevolence' better anyway...

20. Hogne

Hogne Jedi Master star 1

Sep 21, 2004

How did the Clones survive in space? Did they were some special kind of armour, or are they really made for use in space?

And is this ability to survive in space something that is common for Ploo Koon's species?

I really liked this episode.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The 2-1B medical droid said that clone armour provides partial protection against the vacuum of space and allows the wearer to survive in open space for a short period of time.

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007

As 2ndquest offers it still can fit together. THe Clone Wars Animated Visual Guide still includes the shuttle crash and its particulars. It all just needs to mesh :)

I really enjoyed this epidsode, just caught it last night. I haven't read the whole thread, but did anyone else notice "1977" being included? :D

I love the the Twilight is still prominate, and the zero-G action was fun. Grievous's flagship reminds me of Jaws....And this episode also showed Grievous as a capable fleet commander which was a nice touch as well.=D=

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Didn't catch the 1977- where was it?

And you beat me to it- I've kept meaning to express how much the Malevolence looks like a giant shark with it's "fin" bridge and grinning cone-nose.

24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Plo says "Pod 1, 9, 7, 7, do you copy" when they first restore power and get the comunication from Pod under attack by the droids.:)

25. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    Plo Koon rules!

Great action, Anakin and Ahsoka are fun. Love this show!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.