main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars- Episode 104: Destroy Malevolence! Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    that's actually really interesting.

at any rate, I definitely would like to watch the show in HD now. [face_laugh]

2. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    That's so weird...I mean there's no need for that, right???...like the DS verion better.:D Anyway, this episode for me was one best so far for soo many reason... Also, I'm very happy that the episode seems to have redeemed Pad's rep!:)...it hurts to see her charater downplayed by many...everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but still it hurts.:-B

3. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    This leads us to our next question... which one is canon? Is this some kind of new 'Choose your own dialogue'-type of show? :p

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

B-but- that means there's a version out there with one less retread line taunting me for not having an HDTV! "If you had an HDTV, your entertainment would be slightly less annoying." dah!

I hope the HD version makes it to DVD- it makes Plo look better by not having him say a randomly quoted OT line that doesn't make sense in context.

However, I am amused that we're only 4 (7 if you count the movie) episodes into the series and we already have two "you don't taste very good"/"to get out of there"/"shelter up"/"shelter built"/"i can see a lot better"/"trust me" alternative audio mixes.

5. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Some pretty good lines in this episode.

Droid #1: "Didn't you hear it? It sounded like a ship docked at one of the emergency airlocks."

Droid #2: "Your circuits are loose. No one is crazy enough to do that"

Obi-Wan: "Anakin, you're crazy"

---

Obi-Wan: "Spinning isn't flying."

Anakin: "But it is a good trick"

---

Obi-Wan to Grievous: "You haven't exactly impressed me today"

Great stuff in this episode. I did laugh at the "spinning isn't flying" joke and the droids who attempted to jump with Obi-Wan and Grievous. It was just one of those subtle things that you never expect. You see Obi-Wan run by the camera, then Grievous and then you see these droids just come out of nowhere and more or less just fall without much effort.

Obi-Wan is my favorite character and he finally had some action in this episode. I do admire his ability to remain calm in any situation. Going into a dangerous rescue mission without a real strategy? No problem. Surrounded by droids and General Grievous? Meh, what's for lunch? Even when he was cornered at the front of the train with Grievous, I loved that little look he gave looking down and then looking back up. You knew that he just created an entire plan within that split second. He was just calm, collected and observant and those are some of the reasons why he's one of the best.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I really wish my local provider had CN in HD. Or better yet, I wish TNT would broadcast this series soon, since I get that channel in HD. Or that Itunes put this episode up in HD. Oh well, the Blu-ray release will come eventually (considering how fast the Clone Wars movie is coming out on Blu-ray when there is still no news on any of the actual movies coming out on Blu-ray).

On the Threepio thing, not sure if Obi-wan ever interacted with Threepio much, but during RotS, Obi-wan did visit Pamde a few times to talk about Anakin and how... unstable he was, both before and after Order 66, and Obi-wan probably ran into Threepio then. In the RotS novel, after Order 66, according to Threepio, Obi-wan looks ready to dismantle Threepio if he raises an alarm, but when Padme starts hugging Obi-wan, then Threepio just waits on the side.

Another sorta funny bit was the jet rail boarding part, I thought. I always have captions on, so for when Grevious was getting on and off the train, it was talking like it was a normal subway- "please mind the gap," that sort of thing, which was kind of funny, I thought. Also, not sure whether other warships would have big jetrails like that, especially because this was a droid warship, so other ships might have to worry about living quarters and supplies. Although the ship still had an atmosphere, which was good for all the organic good guys. Though since Dooku travelled on that ship too, it had better be able to support organic life too. Although since someone mentioned it, I do wonder what happened to Grevious' Magnaguards. We already saw them in the movie, you'd think Grevious would have at least a couple with him at all times, like in RotS. Unless this is still early in the war, too early for them to have built too many. Not that those droids would've slowed Anakin and Obi-wan too much, either.

And it sounds like Anakin already has a reputation for recklessness. There's Plo Koon line but when they talk with Luminara by hologram, she notes that it was probably another of Anakin's crazy plans. Obi-wan thinks its pretty crazy too, but then again, Obi-wan still follows and easily holds his own.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, i heard that in the background, a nice touch.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Two things:
    1) When Obi-Wan went flying at Grievous feet-first, why didn't Grievous just slice him?
    2) Why didn't Obi-Wan just Force-push Grievous off the train?

9. Karachi_Kenja

Karachi_Kenja Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2006
    Totally Agreed.:D

Have you read Republic #51 or Dark Horse CW TPB #2: Victories and Sacrifices? It's about the mission to Ohma D'un, and the Naboo send Threepio to brief the Jedi strike force [which is Obi, Ani and another Master-Padawan Team]. Obi-Wan actually adresses Threepio in this short convo:

Glaive [to Anakin]: Yes, we're all happy you and the droid could be reunited. Now can we please get through this briefing before I become one with the Force?
    Obi-Wan: Although it pains me to agree with him, Master Glaive is right. If you will, C-3PO?
    Threepio: Of course, Master Kenobi. As you know... [Threepio rambles]

I believe its the first time they meet... chronologically.
    I have all the Dark Horse TPBs covering the Clone Wars, so yeah. Well, most of em. :p

Have to say, loved the episode. I LOVED all the snarky Obi-Wan, that was hilarious. I think I'm the only one who enjoyed ALL of the BD humour. Loved the scene where one thought they heard something dock at the airlock, then the Jedi come out of the lift and slice them apart.

Funniest part of the episode was Threepio screaming 'Stop me! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!' as he gets hit by the railjet.

Most impressive part of the episode was Obi-Wan's creativity when it comes to destroying droidekas. I thought Anakin destroying the droideka in the TCW movie was good, but Force-pushing them into the other droids was really cool.

Can't wait for more of the series!

10. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Good episode but I actually considered this to be the weakest of the three-episode Malevolence arc. Last weeks episode just raised the bar too high I'm afraid. I can't wait for "Rookies" next week.

11. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    If it's any consolation, I've disliked Padme from the beginning. I just have never liked Natalie Portman. I know--all the guys will think I'm crazy. Don't get me wrong, she is pretty, but I've always found her overrated as an actress.

I don't see why anybody thinks ROTS ruined her character, though. She was pregnant, man! Leave her alone. You try being a spunky young action hero when you're carrying twins!

She was alright in this episode. Even though she was technically captured, she was hardly a "damsel in distress" as everybody had predicted. I liked her blowing up her own ship. I also thought it was funny when she swept up the droid mess. It's funny because it's sexist!

12. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    1) Obi-wan can't die yet(Although he could get seriously hurt, but I doubt it would be canon)
    2) Same answer, just for Grievous.

Or it could be that their choreography was off...:p

13. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I meant in-universe. Anyway, I doubt Grievous would have been seriously harmed if he had fallen off the train.

14. twong

twong Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    TCW seems to have finally brought me out of my TFN slumber.

I was roaring at the battle droid antics throughout this entire episode. I can't wait to pick up some battle droid action figures to build some dioramas with - as of this episode, they're way too funny.

I hope Padmé doesn't become a plot device for the entirety of the series. She was on screen for less than twenty minutes and already I feel like she was wasted.

EDIT: Hilarity aside, my favorite part was Obi-Wan's exploitation of the droidekas. For some reason it never occurred to me that they'd have trouble turning on axis. If I ever write another fanfic I'm playing with their CQB weakness.

15. searth_99

searth_99 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2001
    great episode!!! I hope they keep it up and deliver :)
    the animation was great and the lines were pretty funny. Padme definitely was no damsel in distress. This was definitely TPM
    Padme here. don't get between that girl and her blaster..haha! ;-)

As someone mentioned earlier, A/P feels different here and a lot better than before. sad to say but the
    animated series A and P actually sounded better than A/P in the movies..:eek:

the only thing that slightly irked me and I thought could be construed as sexist was
    the "house cleaning" droids situation with A and P! I dunno what the writers were thinking there...

cheers! yea for more Clone Wars and making ppl happy on Friday evenings!:p

16. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I think it was supposed to be a joke.

17. Rogue_Pilot

Rogue_Pilot Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2003
    I don't get the "spinning isn't flying" joke. Can someone explain the reference to me?

18. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Anakin in TPM: "I'll try spinning! That's a good trick!" during the Droid Control Ship battle. There were several jokes referring to that in this episode.

And I agree, the house-cleaning comment was a little off. Still, it's another part of Padmé being used as the typical damsel in distress -- even if she wasn't exactly helpless, the archetype is one that goes back to ANH and beyond.

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, this was after Anakin accidentally engaged the autopilot of the starfighter he was in, ended up in the middle of the space battle as Naboo fighters tried (unsuccessfully) to knock out the Droid Control Ship. Then shortly after that, Anakin semi-accidentally ended up flying inside the hangar of the Droid ship, blasted the inside of the ship a few times, then flew back out as the ship blew up, having won the battle almost single-handedly. All he was only... 10 years old, I think. And yeah, it did look as ridiculous as it sounds. Another reason TPM is probably the worst of the Star Wars movies. Which is why I'm glad they mocked that situation a bit in this episode.

And I think Obi-wan was just too fast for Grevious, which is why he managed to kick Grevious when he was swinging around. While Grevious is fast, it is possible to attack him. With the Jedi, the problem is that in lightsaber duels, sometimes droid arms can move faster than they can. For more experienced/powerful Jedi, like Obi-wan, that's less of a problem.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Mucho credit to Dave and crew for taking one of the most derided lines from TPM and turning it into a fantastic line.

I think they've really started to hit their groove here- the awesome line reversals ("spinning" "hello there"), the wittier original ones ("no one's that crazy" "you're crazy"; "I suppose I did ask for that.") and Battledroid gags that are actually working (the jump). All they need to do is ease up on the OT quotes and they'll be right there.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm continuing to like this show a lot more than I thought I would. No real complaints about this episode, and the Ahsoka "sass" was missing too. Great scene when Obi-Wan escapes by bowling with Droidekas, and I love the battle droid who can't contain himself after witnessing it: "well that was impressive".

Regarding the "hello there" turnaround having Grievous say that to Obi-Wan here chronologically before Obi-Wan says it to Grievous in ROTS... that line in ROTS seemed to me to be a reference to Obi-Wan also saying it to R2-D2 in ANH. So it's kind of an interesting dialogue twist.

Also liked Anakin's response when Padme says he's always played with droids... "Yeah, I used to put them together. Now I just take them apart."

22. Jedi_of_Valor

Jedi_of_Valor Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2007
    I really like all of them, but I liked this one the most of all of them.

23. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    You had some good points in your response, but you need to calm down on the vitriol. You started with a personal attack, then gave a good argument in response, and then finished up with another personal attack He gave his opinion that TPM is "probably the worst of the Star Wars movies". This is not trolling.

If I wasn't so satisfied from overeating at supper, I'd probably hand you a ban. Again and again, threads are degenerating into bashing/gushing about the PT. This forum is not the place for these arguments. G_M.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    >>>Its all part of the "balance" of the force and brings new deeper meaning to the term "balance of the force" just like how LOTS of other things in TPM and the PT brought new, MUCH deeper meaning to.

TPM introduced the concept of the "balance of the Force". Therefore, it did not bring "new, much deeper meaning" to the term.

>>>TPM is the movie that introduces everything about star wars to the viewer

That would be:
    [image=http://doctorwhocollector.com/images/categories/StarWarsOpeningLogo.jpg]

25. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    One reason I'm impressed is that we're only 4 episodes in, 7 if you include the theatrical release.

I know I keep bringing this up, but it's fantastic for a television show to have such an auspicious beginning.=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.