main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars- Episode 104: Destroy Malevolence! Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I like the distinction of "I've been trained in Jedi fighting techniqus by Dooku, not just traditional sword fighting".

Grievous is very adaptive with his abilities, especially if you factor in the upcoming episode that shows Grievous using different cyborg parts and upgrades. And since Mace was the most recent person to have fought Grievous, he would have the best advice on how Obi-Wan could face what Grievous was fighting with at that point in time.

2. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    That's true, 2nd Quest...Grievous is very adaptive, so I suppose when he fights Obi-Wan on Utapau it's different than when he fought him here and of course when he fought Mace as well. I didn't think of that.

3. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    My advice: don't worry about it. Personally, I only accept the 6 movies as canon, and anything in the "expanded universe" that contradicts the films is wrong. The expanded universe, to me, is Star Wars apocrypha, so it doesn't bother me when things don't always match up.

4. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    But again, this new show officially has a canon level higher than all the EU, and equal or a little lower than the films.

That's according to Lucas himself.

As to this episode, given that we'd seen little clips of the Kenobi-Grievous duel in previews, I'd just given myself over to the fact that the show would kinda conflict with RotS in that area.

But then the episode comes out, and it doesn't do so at all. They just class sabers once, allowing Grievous' "I was trained by Dooku" line to still make sense. And they take Kenobi's "hello there" line from RotS and give it to Grievous, making the line a connection point between the two scenes.

I didn't see any contradiction there between the ep and the movie.

As for the novelization...the canon rule applies I'd say.

5. Dunedain1

Dunedain1 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    This is another good episode, I really liked the battle in and around the high speed train system on the ship. :) I like how Obi-Wan did a force jump and then flew down and kicked Grievous. :) You have to admire Obi-Wan's ability to remain calm and collected in all kinds of situations. And it was funny when the droids tried to make the jump on to the train and didn't even come close. haha :)

6. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I have to confess that on my original viewing of this episode I thought Grievous' introductory line was simply "Kenobi" and Padme's observation of Anakin was that he's always played with "toys". And I probably would never have caught on that I was wrong, especially in the second case, if you folks weren't setting me straight.

I'm glad you're here to tell me these things! ;)

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The Grievous/Obi-Wan battle was soooo short. I don't tinnk we need worry about drawing any conclusions from it as to canon being shattered. Short answer: Grievous just felt like fighting Obi with two arms.....

I found Obi-Wan over powered vs the battle droids this time around, dealt with them way to easily.

I liked the droid fire control teams and Grievous cutting off Dooku's communication at the end, and his Starfighter getting some action.

Glad I am that the Malevolence arc is over.:)

8. EUReader

EUReader Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 10, 2004
    Every episode I cringe more and more at what the droids say. Star Wars doesn't need comic relief.

9. Darth_Neznarf

Darth_Neznarf Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    Did anyone else have a pixelated blurb right after the Obi Wan encounter with Grievious & the driods? I recorded it on a DVD from my TV DVD recorder and when I watched it back it had a bad spot that was only a second or so. (Im the only one in the free world without a DVR lol) I didn't realize that it was there or I would have recorded a replay of it.

EDIT- Please do not request or offer pirated material on these boards

10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Darth Neznarf: I still use VHS myself :D

11. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    But it seems to me that the droid humor is getting progressively more toned down.

And whether or not Star Wars needs comic relief, the objective fact is that it has always had it.

12. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    Is it just me or did Anakin's line of, "How's the house cleaning going?" make him look like an absolute womanizer? If I was Padmé I would have kicked him in the balls and banished him to the couch for that!:p

13. JFuchs77

JFuchs77 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    When Anakin and Padme were reunited, I was nearly expecting 3 things to happen.

1. The love theme from Attack of the Clones would be played.
    2. There would be a lot of romance.
    3. Anakin and Padme would kiss each other.

14. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Of all the Williams themes not being used in TCW, that one is the most conspicuous in its absence.

15. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Really? I don't think the three main prequel themes (Dual of the fates, Across the Stars and Battle of the Heroes) would translate very well with TCW's soundtrack limitations. I'd like to see some more of the obscure pieces featured like Speeder Chase from AOTC in Hidden Enemy. They translate really well and give me that fan squee moment.

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I was re-watching this episode, and it occurred to me that at the beginning the Republic was having trouble killing the Malevolence simply due to its massive size. So when Padme gets captured by Grievous, it should mean that the Venators should have been able to continue bombarding their target. Given how much Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme ended up running around through the ship, I think it's safe to say the Republic cruisers could've blown away 60% of Malevolence and render it completely irreparable without harming the hostage.

17. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Bombarding a ship is not an exact science. It's not like a videogame where you see the percentage of Hull dropping progressively and you know when you're about to blow everything to smithereens. After a while any lucky shot could suddenly cause the reactor to blow, or the hull to crack in half, or whatever. Bombarding a ship with allies inside is a big no-no.

18. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    A few days ago I re-watched the Malevolence trilogy on TV, and I don't know why exactly but I found I liked the episodes more than I had before. I guess some episodes can be better on more viewings. I didn't much care for Plo Koon when I saw Malevolence before, I thought he was a typical boring Jedi. But this time I kind of liked him, his 'Koto ya' greetings and how he seems to be an uncle-type character to the clones and Ahsoka. I think I might get why people like the character.
    And Threepio was pretty hilarious. More than when he was teamed up with Jar Jar. I don't think Jar Jar or battle droids match the humor in seeing Threepio panic in dangerous situations.=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.