main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars- Episode 108: Bombad Jedi Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boletus

boletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    Though I posted not yet for this episode, I'd like to say how awesome it is to have Kevin on here answering questions and responding to comments. So great to be able to have a little insight to the episode which only makes me enjoy it more. I didn't warm up to this episode until my second viewing after reading some comments on here, and now I'm ready for my third so I can pick apart things. Anyway, thanks Kevin for taking the time.

Also, I loved how the clones started to pet the slug monster in the background at the end of the episode. Thought that was great.

2. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    If it worked for her months earlier, why wouldn't she try it again?

I think the way you have it in the episode works.

And by the way, I thought it was a very good episode.

3. CloneCaptainRex

CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2008
    Dee Bradley Baker(sic?) does Uncle Farr as well as the Clones.

Thanks a tonne, Kevin, for giving us the best JarJar(2nd best would be George R. Binks from Star Wars Tales) EVER.

I really enjoyed the scene with the magnet, that was lol funny!

"Hang on, Threeso! Whoops...!"

Although, I was hoping for a "Obi? OBI!!!" moment.

4. ObiWondersWhy

ObiWondersWhy Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2008
    sorry folks.

worst one of the series. I LOVE Troops, so Mr. Rubio still has my respect, but this episode basically encapsulated, or put on center stage, most everything I thought didn't work in TPM and AOTC: Jar-Jar and the awful humor (pun after pun does not equal funny). And yes, I realize the battle droids include terrible puns weekly but they haven't overshadowed the plot as this one did.

The one line that really did crack me up though: "messa eyeball isa caught ina da sleeve."

The series has been good, along the lines of a "PG-13" SW cartoon. This was a "Y7". Since we don't have Cartoon Network we've been buying each episode thru iTunes and watch and re-watch them several times. Each one to this point has had at least one [Matrix Neo voice:] "whoa" element and a compelling storyline. Not this one. After seeing the "next week on CW" TV spot online, we waited to buy this one and 'stumbled' across it on an online video site. I was glad I didn't purchase it.

Honestly it felt out of place with the rest of the series. Especially with last week's episode and the Malevolnce arc.

Sorry writer(s) - Didn't do it for me. "Cloak of Darkness" (EP9) looks great - here's to hope

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, IIRC, it doesn't necessarily say Padme's father was in the senate- only that he was an ally of the Senator in the senate, which you can be through a variety of means without holding office.

I made no such suggestion that any of those notions applied- I only meant that I think it would positively raise the effectiveness of Jar Jar's heroics if his initial rescue attempt wasn't for nothing, though conversely glad to have Padme be more take charge like she was in TPM after her devolution though AOTC and ROTS.

6. Jedi_Soral

Jedi_Soral Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2008
    May I also second that? It's quite an honor to have one of the writers here to provide input and field questions. This episode had so many great touches: finding the jedi robe and "3so's" reaction; the nod to ESB with the friend betrayal; Jar Jar kissing the slug monster; the multiple "roger-roger's" (for some reason, I busted out laughing at that!); and I didn't notice it first, but as boletus pointed out, the clones petting the slug...nice little moment there. The only time I truly enjoyed Jar Jar previously was on the Robot Chicken episodes, but I had fun with this episode. I think it's proof that with good writing, even someone like Jar Jar can be a likable character to those who hated him so much in the prequels (i.e. - me).

Kudos Kevin!! Thanks so much! =D=

7. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Absolutely (wasn't he involved in the Refugee Relief Movement?).

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Hmmm, this episode wasn't quite what I was expecting. I wanted Padme to be more of the damsel in distress, and for Jar Jar to actually save the day for once.

9. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    This post should be removed, but since the moderators don't often like doing their jobs around here, it hasn't been. Don't disrespect my master. And don't disrespect me. If you think you have something to say, you can find me in person and I'll show you what it means to know what you're talking about when it comes to martial arts. You are the one trolling the thread.

10. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    There's something that's bugging me a lot, and I would love it if Kevin could sort this out for me: In the final showdown, Padmé "reveals" her little secret with Farr, that he never meant to leave the Republic. From what I understand, that means the whole capture was a only a ruse to ambush Nute Gunray. Is that really what happened or was Padmé just giving Farr an opening to redeem himself? Because if everything was really planned from the get go, it makes no sense at all. Why would Farr apologize to her afterwards, and why would the Republic Forces only show up due to Threepio's call, wouldn't they have been waiting in ambush?

PS: Am I the only one who was reminded of Roz, from Monsters Inc, by Nute Gunray's design?

11. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I think it was a way for Farr to redeem himself...he hesitated for a moment before making his decision which told me that's why she said that.

12. boletus

boletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    If the Republic actually found out that he lured a Senator to Rodia and then turned them over to Vicroy Gunray I'm sure charges would have been brought against him. I think it was not just to redeem himself but a way to protect him from any retrobution that might be leveed.

13. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    Wow, this turned into a perfectly horrible thread. Still, I'm glad that we all now all realise that Padme, Buffy and Sydney Bristow are all "cute and adorable" fictional characters, while Jack Bauer, Jason Bourne and James Bond are all perfectly real, and that the proper place to establish these self-evident truths is a discussion forum for a specific episode of a Star Wars cartoon.

14. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Thanks, I think you both are quite correct. Upon seeing that scene a second time it seemed more obvious to me that it was just Padmé giving Farr a little help in changing his position smoothly.

But I still don't get why Commander Gree says "We got your message, general." Threepio is the one who sent the message, and he's certainly no general. He left the message in the name of Padmé, who is a senator, not a general. And then there's the gungan representative standing there with a brown cloak who definetly is no general. I think Gree already had problems with his head before his final showdown with Yoda...

15. Yee_Moh

Yee_Moh Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2005

[face_laugh] [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Yeah, I was fresh off Robot Chicken when I watched this episode and all I could think was:

Nute: I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.
    Onaconda: This was never a condition of our arrangement! This deal's getting worse all the time.
    Nute: Furthermore, I wish you to wear this dress and bonnet....

16. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I don't consider myself a Jar Jar hater, but I have to agree with the post above.

This episode was perfect for children and I guess that's why I didn't like it. The episode is just too silly for my taste.

17. darth_whatshisname

darth_whatshisname Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2008
    Well, I didn't think I'd find myself saying this, but I thought this episode did justice to Jar Jar.

It helped that just about everyone didn't misinterpret Jar Jar's shenanigans for a type of idiot savant-esque coolness. From Padmaes rather weak reason for leaving him on the ship to C3-P0's no-nonsense attitude, everyone knew that Jar Jar is Star Wars's village idiot. Which made the episodes goofy attitude much more palleteable.

It was a filler episode that knew it was a filler episode and decided to just chill out and provide a laugh or two. More palleteable than TPM where Jar Jar inexplicably ended up a war hero or ATOC where Jar Jar fundamentally helped ignite the clone wars. Here, he was an idiot that got lucky, nothing more. C3-P0 looked cool and swashbuckling standing next to Jar Jar, and this episode gave threepio some great lines that reminded me why we put up with him in the original trilogy. Despite the cyborg-butler programming, he comes through and helps save the day when it counts.

I don't mind silly episodes like this so long as the jokes elicit genuine humor, and the episode did that nicely.

18. Yee_Moh

Yee_Moh Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2005
    I LOVED the soundtrack for this episode. It's based on Bulgarian folk music! For those of you not familiar with traditional Bulgarian music, listen to this YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdqjcW8u7Lw&feature=related

That stuff is just haunting. Never thought I'd hear it pop up in a Star Wars episode.

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I left every post unedited so people could read the debate for themselves and come to their own opinions on it. I gave the entire thread a warning and you're obviously ignoring that. G_M.

20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Really, personally it struck me as more Celtic. Thanks for the link though.

I would like to apologize for derailing the thread and anything unfair I may have said in my anger.

21. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    This is the first time since RotJ (or maybe TPM) that I thought Threepio sounded like his old self. His endless high-register to-camera quipping and wailing in AotC, the Gendy CW cartoon and even earlier episodes of TCW has been annoying me. I've no problem with Threepio's camp worrywart antics, but the delivery has been taken to grating out-of-character extremes. This was a much better Threepio, far more like his old (later) self, at least giving us some idea of why Padme might keep him around.

I love Jar Jar, and always have, and I thought he was at his very best here too. Well done Ahmed and Tony!

22. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    I loved this episode. Got the same warm, fuzzy feeling at the end as I did when Artoo triumphed in the one before it :)

Great work Kevin, and great work everyone else who was involved. :D

Also loved the fact that Padmé forgave Farr, and gave him a get-out-clause at the end. While I've no doubt that Gunray would have gladly accepted Rodia as a Separatist ally, I'm sure he'd have given them 'aid' at the same time as using the planets' population and resources as a fully expendable source. Not necessarily a Separatist failing, but one of Gunray's certainly.

Gutted that it's a two-week wait until the next new ep though :( I've never understood why the US networks have that big 'shut-down' around the holiday season. Especially as so many of these episodes are already in the can. :(

23. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I pretty much liked the episode, since I am a bit of a Jar Jar-hater but it was pretty good. The scenery was marvelous, loved the "Roger, roger" scene, the SBD and the crab-droid. The only thing that annoyed me were the fact that the droidekas were not that accurate and all of their shots seemed to end in front of Jar Jar's feet.

About the music I've read somewhere that it was based on Bulgarian music (I was surprised since I am a Bulgarian ;)) but played on Irish pipes...

24. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I like it for being a comedy episode. I can enjoy it because I know there are darker stories in the series. I like that CLONE WARS is one of those with a variety of episodes from dark to light comedy. I see old TWILIGHT ZONE or BONANZA rerunsw and they had all kinds of episodes. Some were serious and others were goofy.

25. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Because most of us in the US will be busy with our families, traveling or Black Friday shopping. Less viewers = lower ratings. Why waste what looks to be an awesome episode 9 on a shallow night for viewers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.