main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars- Episode 108: Bombad Jedi Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    How could Nute Gunray mistake Jar Jar as a Jedi as clumsy as he is?

Gunray's been around enough Jedi to know they aren't clumsy, that's why he's so afraid of them.

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Speaking of Gunray, I thought his depiction was somewhat off compared to what I saw in Phantom Menace and Labyrinth of Evil. In both of these he was just a cowardly but greedy guy who got dragged into the Sith scheme, but here he acted more like a warlord than anything else.

3. HeathHolland

HeathHolland Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2008
    Hey, all, I'm new, but I'm glad to be here.

I thought this episode was alright...but I have to be honest, I feel like it focused on the weakest characters in Star Wars. If it had been Padme, Jar Jar, or Threepio with any other characters, I think I would have been fine, but I think having all three in the same episode was almost too much.

The pluses for me were seeing Rodia and really having the Rodian race expanded on in a canon setting. This is the first episode of the Clone Wars that hasn't blown me away, but I know that if I were watching these on DVD, I'd be much more forgiving because I wouldn't have to wait for at least a week before I got to see a new episode, I'd be able to just go on to the next one then.

Certainly not a bad episode, but I think definitely one for the younger viewers. I was also puzzled by the warnings that Cartoon Network posted before each segment aired, as it didn't really seem to have any violence, just some droid blasting.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's likely that after some fo the heavier content aired in the early episodes, they decided to just blanket-label the whole series, instead of just placing the rating warning for specific episodes.

5. boletus

boletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    I've been assuming that it was because the general thought at the time the statement was made by people was that Jar Jar was in fact a Jedi. He's even called Master Bombad... My guess is there is some stuff that may have been edited out where he put on more of a front (possibly with Padme's help). It wasn't until afterwards that he reveals that he is just a Gungan and not a Jedi. A trooper receiving a message ran up to the first thing that looked like a Jedi, and probably assumed that the message was relayed by the droid for him.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The whole "general" line is something I want to ask Kevin. :)

Although I'm not sure how much he can reveal. [face_thinking]

Nice to see some new faces on the board and particularly our happy forum. =D=

This episode definitely has had some of the most discussion of any TCW episode to date, and that's a good thing.

It definitely felt like it could be part of the PT, and that's high praise to Kevin Rubio and the entire team.

The animation and score are getting betting each episode.

7. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Funny, my girlfriend was confused as to the rating as we watched the episode an hour ago here in Canada.

Fun episode! I always like when we see the Leia in Padme. It was a nice break and fun to see Jar Jar again. (NEVER thought I'd say that) In this format he works quite well.

Great job MR. Rubio with an episode that could have been just too much. (Cough-Episode 1-cough...);)

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    the episode guide has been updated on TOS, btw- it does confirm that the line of dialogue establishing where "Master Bombad" came from was cut, as well as points out the Swamp Slug's origins as McQuarrie art for a Dagboah creature.

9. twong

twong Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    Well, that's easy. There seems to be a lot cut from the ep, but I guess all around everyone was convinced that there really was a Jedi on the planet. Unless there's a padawan braid, to clones, if it looks like a Jedi, it's probably a general, and there's probably a standing order to answer to whichever one is handy.

10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    A very, light, enjoyable episode.:) Jar Jar's was perfect, from Ahmed Best back doing the voice, to his clumsiness, to his heart always being in the right place.

Three-So :p was a little meh, and it was nice to see Padme getting her action groove on. Loved Jar Jar's new friend. Gunray's voice was a little off, but that to be expected where the original voice actors are not available.

Maybe Master Bombad will always hold a sacred place in the history of Rodia from here forward:D

I think Mr. Rubio hit all the right notes. Great job=D=

11. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
    I don't see why they couldn't have gotten Silas Carson back to voice Nute Gunray, though I guess he may have just not wanted to do it, but what else does he got to do?

Watch him be voicing Ki-Adi-Mundi later on.

12. AaronKenobi

AaronKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    Jar Jar did hold the Rank of General during the Battle of Naboo so he may still sometime be refered to as General Binks even if his command was short and he is not actively in the military,

13. twong

twong Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    Ooo, kudos!

14. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
    I doubt Gree would know something as minor as that though.

15. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    A really good episode.

I thought I was going to hate it, but it turned out to be great.

Jar Jar was pretty good in this episode and I wouldn?t mind seeing him again in the series.

IMHO Rodia is probably the best looking planet since Naboo in episode 1, its just amazing how much work has bean put into these designs. I thought the Rodian ruler and his story was very well handled and much better then what I would expect from a so called children?s series. I really hope we will se more of both this planet and its ruler in the future.

The music in this episode was the best so far in the series.

16. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    The episode was better than I expect. 3P0 could have been used a little better. Padme was good. Gunray was good. Rodia was cool to see.

Padme's starship...didn't it get blown up in Malevolence part 3?? They really should have aired these things in order. Here's hoping the list the order on the DVD release so we can watch them as intended and they do a better job of releasing them in order next year.

Anyway, my biggest problem with the episode was when Jar Jar starts pushing buttons for no reason and all that mayham happens. It was too much. And then all of a sudden he finds his courage and tries to save Padme? Jar Jar was always a coward in the movies. And he wouldn't have been stupid enough to keep pushing buttons once he found out what they did. And where did the courage come from?

Still, it wasn't boring and the bit where Padme asks 3PO if the battledroids destroyed the ship and he says no and then she goes "Jar Jar?" with a hint of acceptance and lack of surprise was funny. You could really see why they would care for Jar Jar and root for him to be okay, but that doesn't explain why Padme brought him along for the ride and why they continue to associate with him.

Is Kevin Rubio scheduled to write any more episodes? I would like to see his take on the main characters and not relegate him to b-stuff since he has a fan following. That's not fair. Let the new writers cut their teeth on the b-stuff.

17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Then... we'd be wondering why the ship that got trashed in Bombad Jedi shows up in Malevolence...

18. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Here are a couple of thought:

-The reunion between Padmé and the Rodian had really hammy expository dialogue.
    She's the one to get treated with really unnecessary lines from time to time. Especially that line in Destroy Malevolence, when she springs the trap by being caught up in the middle of a battle, why does she have to explain to the audience it's a battle?
    I also think Catherine Taber doesn't sound as spot-on to Natalie Portman as other think.

- The Rodian did sound too much like the Clones, but oh well.
    He, as well as his aid had great eyes.
    They reminded me of the Kaminoans, who also have galaxy looking eyes.

- I wonder who threw that glob of goo at Jar Jar? Not the little dragon flies, right?
    Was it the slug monster? If so, why would she do that? As a sign of love banter?

-Yay! Jar Jar! I loved how he climbed up the vines with his robe.
    It felt like a scene from a swashbuckling movie, where the unexperienced hero tries to rescue the princess from her prison tower. Classic motif.

Nice to see him make a friend. Reminded me of the Dragon and the Donkey in Shrek a bit.

- I liked how Padmé was able to stand her own against droids, without a weapon.
    It might have been better if she was only able to hold most of them off, not destroy them. Maybe that would have raised the tension slightly.

- Nute Gunray is back! Too bad he wasn't voiced by Silas Carson. I liked his hasty tone better. Tom Kenny did a pretty good job, though. I still think Roger Jackson, who voiced Mojo Jojo on The Powerpuff Girls would have been a better pick.

- In general, having an episode about two "comic relief" character on a adventure where they have to prove themselves is just a brilliant idea.

- The bagpipe music fit Jar Jar really well.
    Too bad Kiner doesn't generally use the established character themes John Williams created.
    It would add a lot, IMO.
    Just look at Yoda's theme in the cave of Ambush, it was great, especially with that eerie alteration of the theme near the end of that scene.

- I really like the fact we got to see the Neimoidian Shuttle again.
    Hopefully they'll make it into a 3 3/ 4" scale toy someday.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, there's no real change no matter how you order it.

Strangely enough- one of the recent video games shows this to take place before Malevolence (reflecting the production order), but the web comic establishes this is now post-Malevolence (posisbly altered to reflect the airing order).

20. Not--A-Moon

Not--A-Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    Definitely the weakest episode of the season, if you don't count the movie. (Jabba's gay brother?)

Anyhow, I am getting a little sick and tired of the same old story lines that they borrow from the movies. Guess what? This was just another episode where one of the characters gets in trouble and they all have to save them, shoot some bad guys, do a little slapstick, and smile at the end. Ugh, I am getting tired of that. How many times have they already had an episode where they have to save someone that was in trouble?

Also, why would Padme be so stupid as to go to the planet alone without speaking to her Uncle beforehand?

What was the purpose of bringing Jar Jar?

What was the purpose of bring 3PO?

What was the purpose of the episode?

Sorry folks, but Jar Jar is a failed attempt at comedy from Lucas and he is continuing the failed experiment on Cartoon Network. Although, I know that JarJar is geared towards children...just ask my son who absolutely loves him; but for 30-somethings like myself; why torture us with even one token episode with jar Jar.

I really wish Lucas could take more chances with the Star Wars universe and try a different formula, because the "rescue me" formula is getting a little tired.

Out of 4 stars; I give this one a weak "one star" rating.

21. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Has there been a Star Wars movie where someone hasn't been in trouble and needed to be rescued?

That's what it's all about.

22. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    No, transsexual uncle. Big difference :p

23. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
    What was the purpose of bringing Jar Jar?

Probably to try and keep him out of trouble, the last time Padme left him on Coruscant he preposed for the Senate to give Palpatine emergency powers.

24. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Dunno if this has been mentioned (Can't be bothered to read 11 pages right now), but...

Jar Jar said "I" several times instead of "mesa". That sounded really off.

25. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    Like what? In a war, besides destroying weapons, attacking enemies, and rescuing people, what else can you do?

I'm not saying that there are no other possibilities. I'm sure there are (although many of them would just be using the war as a backdrop, which is fine). I'm just asking you what they might be.

I'm 30. I didn't mind Jar-Jar in the prequels. And I didn't mind him in this episode. It definitely wasn't torture. To the contrary...I enjoyed the episode. It wasn't my favorite, but I enjoyed it.

I'm curious why so many people put words into 30-and-over SW fans' mouths these days. I see it so often. Problem is, I often disagree with those words. And I must admit, I grow weary of it.

No offense intended Not-A-Moon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.