main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars- Episode 108: Bombad Jedi Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    The only complaint I have for the show so far concerning what they've shown of Padme, is the lack of Captain Typho. And I promise I'm not complaining about it cause of my like for the character, but for the sheer purpose of his character. He is her personal bodyguard....he should be with her wherever she goes. In Episode 1, Panaka went with her everywhere. In Episode 2, Typho protected her until the protection responsibility was handed down to Anakin. And in the Tarkovsky clone wars series, he was with her as she did her diplomatic missions throughout the galaxy. Twice Padme has been out in her ship doing things in this new series without her personal bodyguard. I'm sorry, I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to travel with C3PO and representative Binks and not your personal security guard, especially into a situation you know could be dangerous.

2. drivering

drivering Jedi Master

Nov 11, 2008
    Have you ever not complained about something?

3. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    One question! Why did padme refer to the Rodian as 'uncle Ono' is that guy REALLY her uncle???!!!:eek::eek::eek:

4. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I loved how the regular Battle Droids called the Super Battle Droid Boss, I guess he was in charge.

5. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    More like he was a 'member of the family', not related by blood.

6. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    While your thoughts are as welcomed as any other on here, don't you think your first post on your opinion of the episode earlier on the page was enough? Do we really need you telling us you didn't like it in more than one post? If you don't like it, that's fine, great, it's your prerogative, but if you're going to continue to discuss it, do it more constructively than the above quoted. Please.

7. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    And can you imagine what would really happen if a government staged false flag attacks and murdered its own people the way that Palpatine and his co-conspirators did? Can you imagine if the U.S. had a war as contrived and phony as the Clone Wars? Can you just envision all the 'Support the Clones' magnetic decals?

There have been a few comments praising Padme's "feistiness" in this episode, but all they did was, literally, copy her escape from Geonosis arena in AOTC. What's more, the battle droids can now be beaten in hand to hand combat by a 90-lb. woman? And we're supposed to believe that Separatists are taking down one system after another with these worthless things?

Would it just kill them to have an actual damsel in distress? Do they feel so guilt-ridden about having Leia be imprisoned for most of ANH that they've now got to turn every female character into Wonder Woman?

Wouldn't Threepio have been able to understand what the underwater caterpillar was saying? Isn't he fluent in over six million forms of communication?

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Exactly. A lot of my friends have their kids refer to me as "Uncle Inty"
    There are more than six million forms of communication, so Threepio doesn't know all of them, and he's often been shown to struggle with the more primitive ones.

9. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Exactly, he couldn't understand the Ewoks at first bu then got use to it.

10. Darth_Neznarf

Darth_Neznarf Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    I liked this episode! (although, Ive liked them all, if it's Star Wars I like it generaly :D) Because this was Jar Jar's 1st appearance in the series and his appearacnes in ATOC & ROTS were really short, I think they tried to re establish him as the goofy screw-up that the kids came to know in TPM. As much as we want the more adult seriousness that the original trilogy had, this is what the prequils are known for by the kids. My son is now 17 and he laughed at Jar Jar in this episode the same as he laughed when I took him to see TPM way back when it came out. We as adults remember the CT as the end all be all of movies (and it is!) but most of the kids that grew up on the PT love Jar Jar. This is a cartoon show after all, and it's WAY better and more serious then the Ewok cartoons that we got after our trilogy so we should thank our lucky stars CW's is as great as it is!

11. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Well, Padme's uncle is cooler than Jabba's uncle, at least...

I thought this episode was good but not great. Jar Jar works a lot better in animated form than in movie form. I found him annoying in TPM, but kind of endearing in Bombad Jedi. At the same time, I was kind of disappointed in the lack of funny in this episode. I was expecting more laughs. Maybe I just hyped myself up too much when I heard Rubio was doing it. Speaking of, I don't recall Threepio really saying anything negative/mean about Jar Jar. Did the producers/Lucas change their mind at the last minute? I honestly don't see what they could possibly tone down.

A couple of other thoughts--Padme escaped by picking the lock with a hidden doo-dad again? Why can't those droids ever strip-search her? (On camera, preferably.) Also, as somebody else pointed out, I don't like the idea of a scrawny female out-muscling battle droids. I will let it slide due to the lighter, comical nature of this episode, but I hope they don't pull stuff like that too much.

I liked the neon slug and Rodia in general. And my favorite guy Nute Gunray was swell to see too. Tom Kenny did a great job. I'm glad he's going to appear in more episodes.

I wonder if there was a lot of stuff cut? I ask because I felt like there were some choppy edits here and there. They should just extend the show to 45 minutes(or however long the story dictates) and then show old 2D shorts to fill time if they need to.

12. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
    "Why can't those droids ever strip-search her? (On camera, preferably.)"

At least there was some bondage kinda.

I wonder if that's what the parental warning was for since there was no violence or cursing?

13. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    I've never had a problem with Jar Jar. He's just the standard goofy idiot sidekick who manages to come through for his friends in the end. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the episode, I liked it. The idea of Jar Jar and even Threepio, neither of whom are action heroes, being determined to help Padme and go to her rescue is kind of endearing. And Padme herself was very close to Mrs. Peel territory at times, and that ain't bad at all.

Though you do wonder if Ani, during one of his clandestine visits, ever asks Padme, "Did I leave one of my robes on your ship? Any idea of what happened to it?"

14. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    And why does everybody now think that anybody in a robe is a Jedi? Would they think that Uncle Owen (wore Jedi-like ropes), Jawas (wore Jedi-like robes), and all the extras in Tattooine who wore Jedi-like robes (the alien who ratted Luke out to the Stormtroopers in the dock, dozens of other background characters) are also all Jedis?

Well, at least we finally got a bit of a reprieve from the re-imagining of the Clone Wars as WW2, rather than the false-flag phony war the movies intended it to be. Here, it was just comic fun.

15. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    If you read the Labyrinth of Evil excerpt, written by Lucas himself-the Clone Wars were intended to be a Galactic War (version of WWII).

16. Darth_Neznarf

Oct 25, 2008
    The ANH time period was 20 - 30 years later. The Jedi were "all but extinct" at that point so anyone in those times pretty much only heard of Jedi and not seen them.

17. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    I can't agree with you there. If somebody is trying to save Senator Amidala and he's wearing a dark brown hooded robe, then I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that he's a jedi. It's not like they stumbled upon some guy who had just taken a bath and was relaxing in his robe and assumed he was a jedi.

I did like Jar Jar stumbling upon a robe in Padme's ship. Scandalous!

18. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    At the point of the show, 22 years from now. Clone Wars ended in 19 BBY, OT era began 0 BBY.

19. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I'm watching it again, I wonder if there was something was cut from the show. Jar Jar was behind the crate, and 3PO warned him. Next, we see him dodge-dancing with the crab droid. It looks like something was cut. If so, here's hoping it'll be on the DVD release.

Also, this is the second yacht Padmé owned that got trashed. I don't want to imagine what she has to pay for insurance on her ships.

20. Darth_Neznarf

Oct 25, 2008
    1 hour long episodes would really be cool (45 mins ish with commercials). While the episodes have all been cool, a lot of them do seemed rushed.

Also, Jar Jar calling C3PO 3so is funny![face_laugh]

21. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    It would seem so. Another example would be when Senator Farr suddenly calls Jar-Jar 'Master Bombad.' One wonders if there was a scene cut prior to this in which they met somewhere along the line.

22. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    In a certain way, I agree with you: the Clone Wars were supposed to be like WW2 (kinda). But the thing of it is, in that analogy, the clones weren't the Allies....they were the Nazis - and this is stated by Lucas (see quote below).

The Clone Wars were a false flag, phony war. By definition. No disputing that. So, if you think that Lucas intended for the Clone Wars to be WW2 originally (which he did only in the loosest, most fuzzy sense), then you're saying that Lucas thinks WW2 is a phony war. Which it was....for the Nazis.

First off, way back in the 1975 'Star Wars' script, Lucas had the character Luke Starkiller telling his brother that the war which caused the Republic to fall into the Empire (which wasn't yet identified as the Clone Wars) was a staged scam.

Secondly, read these quotes from Lucas:

GEORGE LUCAS: "This idea of a democracy being given up and in many cases being given up in a time of crisis, you see it throughout history whether it's Julius Caesar, or Napoleon, or Adolf Hitler, you see these democracies under a lot of pressure, in a crisis situation, who end up giving up a lot of the freedoms they have and a lot of the checks and balances to somebody with a strong authority to help get them through the crisis. It's not the first time a politician has created a war to try to stay in office." --Lenoard Maltin interview, 1999.

GEORGE LUCAS: "But the larger issue is that you've given up your democracy, and that the bad guys never took it -- it was handed to them. That theme was there 30 years ago which came out of the Vietnam War and Nixon wanting to change the rules so he could get a third term." --George Lucas, Star Wars Homing Beacon #142

He is very clearly stating that the Clone Wars was modeled after a stew of historical false flag wars. Just as the OT was modeled after the legend of King Arthur, Buck Rodgers, the Wizard of Oz, and a host of sci-fi serials, so was the PT modeled after history's false flag wars.

CW is simply re-inventing them as WW2, presumably because those archetypes are much easier for audience members to grasp. But this is not the way the Clone Wars was originally portrayed in the movies, nor is it what Lucas originally intended, way back in 1975. Not even close.

23. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
    This episode just goes to show you who the real bad guys are, the Republic, at least the Confederacy was going to help Rodia.

24. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I was 15 when TPM came out, and while I had seen the classic trilogy and was already a huge fan of the series before the PT, I must say that TPM was a life changing experience for me, and I loved Jar Jar and found him to be quite hilarious. After the movie, I set out to buy as much Jar Jar merchandise as I could. And I must say, watching this episode nearly 10 years later really brought out the inner child in me again. It truly reminded of when I saw TPM and Jar Jar for the first time, and it was a lot of fun to have that sense of familiarity. I hope we see more of Jar Jar in the series to come, but a more toned down version would be fine for me. clumsiness is fine and ok, but clumsiness throughout the entire episode....felt like a bit of a stretch.

25. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    Thats an interesting way to put it. Of course, given your a Seppie, I would expect you to fall under their propganda.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.