main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars- Episode 108: Bombad Jedi Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _ThatJediScum_

_ThatJediScum_ Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Are you serious?!?! Just for the record, I also happen to be a "government bureaucrat" so you're two for two.

Back on topic, which is your raging offensiveness, I never stated that women who chose a physically demanding career had more value than other women, nor that women who chose to be stay at home mothers had less value. You made that inference based on your own sexist prejudices and NOT from anything I wrote in my post.

Once again, your opinion should not be treated as fact.

bran

2. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    Well said, that sentient. I don't see anything in TCW that I haven't seen in the PT, the comics, the games and the novels. Just look at the Cody/Obi-Wan banter in RotS and you see the whole of the TCW setup. And bear in mind that Palpatine was validated as Emperor to 'thunderous applause', and Leia was still an Imperial Senator 20 years later. As scams go, the heroic Republic forces worked very well.

3. fett51

fett51 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2008
    Skill and belt rank don't necessarily correlate. The first school I went to being promoted had more to do with how long you were there than how good you were. The second guy I found (my current one) is a lot more judicious when it comes to handing out promotions.

The reason I made the point about skill is that there's a lot places you can hit someone (male or female) that enable you to put them on the floor pretty quickly. If you're good at exploiting those weaknesses and have the speed to get there, it's generally pretty easy to win fights...providing the other person isn't skilled enough to keep up with you.

In simpler terms, if you can kick someone in the nuts before they can get off a punch, you probably win :p

4. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Yeah, I'm totally serious. Women (and men) who actually produce things are, in my opinion, what make the world go round, while the Viagara-popping men and barren women in government are leeches, sadistically living off their goodness.

I'm offended that you're offended and you're insulting my conservative worldview.

5. Jedi_Soral

Jedi_Soral Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2008
    Agreed. And as Jedi-Soon noted, it's a nice change of pace not having Anakin around. I'm looking forward to the Kit Fisto episode and isn't there one with Ahsoka and Luminara? I'm hoping they'll have a heroic Ben episode...he's been looking a little stuffy and unlikeable so far. And they should have a bad guy story sometime, too. Let them win one for once! Kids won't mind and neither would I!

6. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hello. Though I've avoided this series on principle--as DBrennan more or less stated, it's a grave mistake to lend the Clone Wars Manichean dimensions--I tuned in just this once. I'm a big Jar Jar fan, and Mr. Rubio didn't disappoint. Loved the quips. Loved the antics. And I would love to acquire a statuette of Binks in Jedi garb. Just adorable.

This concludes my Clone Wars viewing experience. I will now return to the PT, where the Jedi are schmucks, the Clones preprogrammed terrors, and the skirmishes full of sound and fury, signifying nothing--save a galaxy's damnation. Just the way Lucas intended.

7. _ThatJediScum_

_ThatJediScum_ Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Emphasis mine. Your comment about girls holding their own was only fantasy, meaning it would only ever happen in fiction and could never happen in real life, was not me extrapolating the meaning of your words. And yes that was offensive because you were not talking about fictional characters but 50% of the human population, of which I happen to fall into that 50%.

Considering that Padmé is a fictional character in a fictional universe, one would have to consider her actions, strengths weaknesses and limitations within the context of the rules of that fictional universe. Tonight was not the first time we've seen Padmé picking off battle droids with a blaster. Since she has done it twice before in the movies it is not unrealistic to think she could ::gasp:: rescue herself. She's not Rex. She wasn't fighting hand to hand, flesh against alloy, and coming out the winning without a scratch on her. Nor would I ever want to see that happen. It would be totally and completely out of character.

You weren't even arguing about other fictional characters in other fictional universes, even though you mentioned them in your argument. Your underlying statement was about real women.

bran

8. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    Sounds to me like you don't support the clones! You probably listen to Dixie Chicks CDs and read books, too! Off to the Guantanamo System with you! Our brave clones are going to feed you to their patriotic rancor monster!

Yeah....I really miss the Clone Wars as it was portrayed between 1975 and 2005. But, hey, whitewashed 'Star Wars' is better than no 'Star Wars' at all. (I think.)

9. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    This was a fun episode. The commercials sort of spoiled a lot of the big gags but I liked the politics, Gunray drama, and Jar Jar antics. My absolute favorite was (just paraphrasing)

Padme: You must get back to the ship in order to send a signal for help. :eek:
    C3PO: Unfortunately the ship's communication systems have been destroyed. [face_worried]
    Padme: Oh no from battle droids?! :eek:
    C3PO: Not quite. [face_plain]
    Padme: Jar Jar. [face_plain]
    C3PO: ... Jar Jar. :rolleyes:

10. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    The writer of the show said that George Lucas himself wrote this line! I also thought it was one of the episode's good moments.

11. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I think not. They should rename this show Star Wars Sans Subtext. I can hear the commercial now...

"Hey, disgruntled fans! Did you hate those prequels? Not in the mood for any War on Terror parallels? Well, never fear! The fun has returned! Let us take you back to a time when the wars were glorified! When the heroes had no skeletons in their closets! Out with the Byzantine narratives, in with the banter! All the swashbuckling, without any of Lucas's subversive swill! Tune in!!!!"

12. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    Hey, there's subtext in CW. Didn't you notice the way C-3P0 and Jar-Jar held onto each other for an extra beat at the beginning?

Seriously, though, I will disagree with you on one point, which is that the false flag nature of the Clone Wars was "subtext". To the contrary, it was the explicit and unmistakable fact of the PT (if still somewhat complicated). But check out my lil' documentary on the Clone Wars when you are at another computer sometime. It's laid out quite clearly, in my opinion.

13. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Just because this show has no political intrigue stories yet (ie. the stuff showing off all the false flag operations and such) doesn't mean we'll never see them. More importantly, just because this show focuses on action and battles doesn't mean that the CW now have none of these power-grabbing schemes at all. At the very least, you can wait to see how the first season pans out before you can legitimately accuse this show of ignoring the conspiracy element of the CW.

14. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    You make some good points, but the only phony thing about the Clone Wars was that it was orchestrated by the Sith, playing on sentiments which already existed. Other than that its effects upon the galaxy were very much 'real' and it was a very destructive conflict which spread throughout the entire galaxy. The Separatists believed in what they were fighting for as did the other players. You'd only have to turn to George Lucas' prologue to Shatterpoint to see that:

This show is about the Clone Wars itself (and since the show was created by and supervised by George Lucas...). You have the movies to put the conflict in a larger context.

15. GH-7

GH-7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2008
    Didn't really have high expectations for this one, but I really enjoyed myself.
    Rodia was a very cool place, awesome new planet. Padme was great. Smart, spunky and a badass. She ain't animated half-bad either. Good going with putting in some political stuff too. Makes the war more interesting.
    Gotta say I was pretty surprised when they actually captured Gunray. Spoiler-free, so I didn't see that coming.

Oh, and I'll say it. I liked Jar Jar. I hate him in TPM, but found myself cheering for him here. One of my favorite episodes yet.

16. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    Honestly, I don't quite know what you were trying to say here. When I say the war was phony, I don't mean that the battles didn't exist or that people didn't really die. That's a total misunderstanding of the prequel trilogy's story (although, in the case of the Gulf of Tonkin, it is true that the attack never did occur in the first place). To look to the real world examples, when we say that the U.S.S. Liberty/Reichstag/Project Gladio, or numerous other attacks were phony, we're not saying that people didn't die and property wasn't destroyed. Rather, we're saying that the true perpetrators and the true intent of these attacks were willfully forged. The source of these attacks was not outside enemies, but rather insiders who were arranging (or, in some cases, provocateuring) these attacks so as to get more power for themselves.

So....yeah, the Clone Wars did "happen" in the 'Star Wars' universe. (And the German Riechstag building was indeed set on fire by arsonists.) But they were fully planned and orchestrated by Palpatine (with the aid of his co-conspirators, most notably Dooku - who arranged for the construction of both armies) and, despite their scale, they were, in fact, nothing more than a mechanism for him to gobble up executive powers and, ultimately, become an emperor over all of the systems that were fighting.

In my sig, you can see a video which lays out this a little more clearly.

Regarding your quotes from Lucas, I really can't extract anything relevant from them at all. I'm sure that they have meaning, just not in this discussion.

17. GH-7

GH-7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2008
    Move along, nothing to see here.

18. MvG-88

MvG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    Thought the episode was nice, not one of the best, but still nice. It was (thankfully) not as exaggerated as I thought it would be when I read the plot outline about Jar Jar being mistaken for a Jedi ^^ Anthony Daniles was great, and whoever did the Jar Jar voice was awesome (was it Ahmed?). It was also nice to see Rodia, it looked neat although from the stuff I've read I got the impression that rodians were barbarians. It's gonna be interesting to see how they tie up Nute since he is on Mustafar in ep. III.

19. Troopsguy

Troopsguy Writer (TCW): Bombad Jedi -TROOPS, Tag & Bink star 1 VIP

Mar 19, 1999
    Well soon, while I appreciate the sentament, being "big" has nothing to do with it. I'm a hired gun, and a lucky one at that considering how many writers in this town wanted to get on this show and how few actually made it.

And a lot of what you liked had nothing to do with me at all. The design of the planet was not mine (saddly, because I too think it was beautiful and the best part about the episode.

The way Jar-Jar and 3PO were played...well that's Tony (who's been doing this for 30+ years so he should have it down) and Ahmed.

And the music wasn't mine either (which by the way I also really liked).

TV and film are a collaborative process. If I was just interested in sole credit, I would be doing novels. I hype me and my involvement on the sites because "Kevin Rubio" has slightly more name recognition in the on;ine SW community than say..."Kevin Kiner" but he just as much of a contribution to this episode as me, or Dave or Ahmed or George.

Anyway, It sounds like you enjoyed it. So for my part, I thank you.

INTERESTING TRIVIA: Ahmed Best is an MMA fighter -- Muay Tai. Don't **** with Jar-Jar. He can kick your ass.

20. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Troopsguy, how much of your original story/writing was in the episode? Did you know the changes were coming? Did you like/dislike the changes they made?

Sorry to pound you with questions, but I was surprised that I liked this episode as much as I did, so I'd like to know how much of your writing got through.

21. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I wonder why the Battle Droids wanted the swamp slug killed? Did some of them go underwater off screen to look for Jar Jar and were destroyed by the slug?

22. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    This was a good episode, with some nice lines and comedy. Jar Jar was quite natural, and I loved his interactions with Threepio. I found him entertaining with his slapstick humour and actually chuckled at his attempts to communicate with swamp life. His honesty still remains intact, which is a plus with me for the character. Yet, the others shared the spotlight quite well too. Good job! [face_peace]

I also liked, in aesthetic terms, the bagpipe music (it fit somehow) and the look of Rodia. It's a really good looking green world, though I still think Rugosa from Ambush has the superior concept, being a dried up sea bottom. XD

I am fully confident that any and all Jar Jar episodes will be a refreshing break from the regular fare, and it was good that there was still some decent plotting with senator Onaconda.

23. SoonerSean

SoonerSean Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2007
    As a card-carrying member of the Anti-Jar Jar committee... this episode was clearly my least favorite. I view it as intended for the kids and nothing more. I put it on the DVR and after 10 minutes had to hit fast-forward to skip all the Jar Jar antics.

And Padme... she is one of the weakest designs/executions in the "cartoon" format. I'm not sure why they couldn't do a better face. She looks dirty all the time (even when she's not supposed to) and really takes the Thunderbirds puppet influence to the extreme. When she was running - you could almost see the puppet strings above her.

Glad others like this one... but it's one I'll never watch again.

24. Troopsguy

Troopsguy Writer (TCW): Bombad Jedi -TROOPS, Tag & Bink star 1 VIP

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm not at liberty to discuss the details. There were good contributions from all the writers who were credited. But I'm glad you liked it.

25. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002

I am fully confident that any and all Jar Jar episodes will be a refreshing break from the regular fare, and it was good that there was still some decent plotting with senator Onaconda.

I only know of one other episode that Jar Jar's in, and hopefully that'll be it for Jar Jar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.