The Clone Wars- Episode 108: Bombad Jedi Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by The2ndQuest, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Well, I survived.:p

Jar Jar kissing the sea monster was a bit much, but all's well that ends well, as they say.

Yeah, Lucas intended the Jedi to be seen as schmucks. Sure. Interesting that the Jedi-as-schmucks theory, instead of simply remaining in the realm of fan opinion, needs Lucas' fictionalized support...[face_thinking]

On the clone issue, there is no discrepancy between the clones in the PT and the clones in TCW. It's an assertion that has been challenged before, and it failed due to lack of proof. Commander Cody is the same "preprogrammed terror" who gave Obi-Wan back his lightsaber. Odd, that.

But wait... there's more...

And the discrepancy between AOTC and TCW is...........?

**crickets**

Nothing.

But we've been through this before, haven't we?

You can keep stating incessantly that the portrayal of the Clone Wars has changed, but in fact it hasn't. They're just words. There's no actual substance or evidence backing them up.

Merely a baseless rant.
  2. kardde20 Jedi Knight

star 1
    that was a fun and enjoyable episode. when i first heard about a jar jar centered episode i cringed, but it was fun. jar jar is a lot easier to take when the characters around him (in this case padme and c3p0) have the same opinion of jar jar that the audience does. nute gunray was also a lot easier to take w/o the ridiculous accent he had in TPM. he's a pretty cool character when you're not distracted by his voice. i also think that padme is done better in this series than she was in the prequels - she seems a lot more like leia in TCW. as has been said the rodian's betrayal of the republic reminded me a lot of lando's betrayal of the rebels in ESB. the idea of gunray and the rodian's mistaking jar jar for a jedi was amusing and a nice change of pace from the previous grevious/anakin centered episodes. i don't want to see jar jar all that often but once in a while is ok.
  3. VladTheImpaler Jedi Master

star 4
    Boy, this thread's certainly taken an ugly turn. So the show is PC just because Padme can fight? Leia could fight just as well. I don't think they're trying to kiddify anything, I think they're just trying to connect Padme's character to Leia's.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I still heard the accent... Actually, I slightly preferred Silas Carson's voiceover, but I still think Tom Kenny did a good job.

I also want to add props to the good music in this episode. For all of the complaining about the techno sound of the Artoo/Goldy storyline, it's good to see Kiner come back strong with some great music in this one.
  4. Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Master

star 2
    Yep! Gotta love them bagpipes! [face_dancing]
  5. darth_degnan Jedi Master

star 1
    Oh, the horror! I am still cringing. Such a weak episode after last week's.
  6. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    Girls being as good as guys a fantasy?

Please...thinking that a minute difference (on average, not universal even) somehow makes men better in a fight, when strength is probably the least important thing in a fight, is pure macho fantasy.

I have met many men and many women over the course of my life, and there is nothing I ever saw that implied any kind of real difference in abilities. Hell, my sister is the strongest person in my family, even more than my father who was a linebacker back in college and never went out of shape. And she isn't even all that muscular or trained in fighting skills, she just loves fighting and is strong.

To say nothing of history. The best military unit of the Mali Kingdom? Their all woman royal guard. Feudal Japan: all noble women were trained to fight, and there were whole specialization female divisions of bushi (middle class warriors), several of them noted swordsmen. Additionally, women have served in distinction in every guerrilla movement in the 20th century: Russian partisans, French resistance, Vietcong etc etc...
    And this is saying nothing about all the women who have fought in wars disguised as men....or the Indian Royal Guard, Scythic warriors, noted female hereos, women serving in modern military organizations...I could go on all day.

As to Bowen: Well, if he told you to go easy on the girls, I doubt he trained them as well as the boys or held them up to the same standards for promotion.
    Hell, if strength and aggression worked, which most martial arts I am aware tell you to easily use strength and aggression against an opponent, none of you probably got anything resembling a proper martial arts education. Not surprising really, the arts have been rather corrupted recently.

And this is doubly ridiculous considering Padme was always a good shot and a resourceful thinker in TPM and AOTC. Only ROTS decided she was such a wimp she couldn't even live for the sake of her children without her hubby.

Course, I suspect you may just be trolling based off your previous threads, but I wanted to set the record straight for anyone uninformed on the subject.
  7. goraq Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Jar Jar was far better then in the prequels.
  8. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm very well aware of all this, but as I said, the larger context of the PT shouldn't be forgotten (which is what you also imply).
  9. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Guys, please be careful on this subject.

My thoughts as I go:

- animation looks terrific

- not really feeling Palpatine's voice

- is this the first time we hear that Padme's father was in the Senate?

- loving Gunray, although his voice isn't as goofy as in the films, which takes away from some of his charm

- okay, "meesa made contact" is pretty funny - "Hang on, Threeso" is even better

- this is the best Threepio has been, maybe since the OT.

- cute that Anakin "left his toothbrush" I mean Jedi Robe on the yacht.

- "roger, roger" x 5 was great.

- "battle droids?" "No." "Jar-Jar?" "Jar-Jar." [face_laugh]

- "Poor Jar-Jar, he was always such a misfit." This is comedy gold.

- boy, Padme's voice is right on.

Overall, great episode, can't believe I enjoyed something with Jar-Jar. Well done, Kevin. =D=

10. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    Padme's picked locks and been a good shot in the movies so I don't think that part of the episode was farfetched. The kicking and stuff might have been a little too good. I mean battledroids are metal and they would have been much harder to just hit physically for a boy or a girl. It would have been better if her guards were Rodian. She's also very...flexible. Anakin's a lucky bastard.

Agreed with Kevin. Rodia looks fantastic.

I thought it was an okay episode. The Threepio and Jar Jar interaction was great. I like Threepio being the straight man for once.

I wonder if Jar Jar finding Anakin's Jedi robe is the way Palpatine found out about Anakin and Padme?
  11. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    >>She's also very...flexible. Anakin's a lucky bastard.

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

>>I like Threepio being the straight man for once.

Oh, the irony!
  12. jedi-soon Force Ghost

star 2

If my earlier post read as though I was ascribing the entire team's efforts to you, mea culpa. It was just a general positive reaction to the collective effort behind this episode. And while I had the ear (so to speak) of one of those fine folks, I wanted to respectfully acknowledge you.

The bit about how Jar Jar was played, however, was directed at you (Ahmed's reading notwithstanding). I was referring to how you wrote the character, in terms of both sheer zany antics and situational motivation. To say nothing of the redemption you gave what is easily Star Wars' most maligned character.

That he felt compelled to leave the ship and do his diplomatic duty felt right. His clumsy first attempts to make contact were spot on. His communion with and eventual connection to the boogey monster were touching. All wrapped up in the grand tradition of adventure SW is known for.

This ranks right up there with Ambush and Rookies as being one of the better episodes, for my money! It's always fun to see a little more light shed on the darker corners of the GFFA.
  13. swcolts157 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yep this episode redeemed Mr. Binks for sure. Absolutely hilarious. The funniest parts were Jar Jar trying to communicate with the can-cell, the exchange about him with 3P0 and Padme, and when he said fiddlesticks. They treated Jar Jar like a big dumb idiot just like we treat him. Nute was awsome and Senator Farr had a cool sounding voice. Rodia is one the most beautiful Star Wars planets, they really outdid themselves. I enjoyed the music as well,every planet has its own theme in the show so far. In two weeks is Cloak of Darkness and that looks good. I'm enjoying this show more and more each week. Long live the Clone Wars and long live Star Wars!
  14. Troopsguy Writer (TCW): Bombad Jedi -TROOPS, Tag & Bink

VIP
    star 1
  15. Strika23 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    My thoughts on this episode:

It was nice to see Padme fighting (as she did in the movies, as well in the CW movies). She seems very independent and is very good with a blaster.

Rodia looks absolutely stunning. I always wondered what the rodian homeworld would look like, two thumbs up!

Nute Gunray's accent was less exagerated, it was nice to his voice toned down a bit.

The rodians (especially their eyes) were animated great!

Animation overall was top notch!

Jarjar calling C3PO "Threeso" and C3PO saying "Poor Jarjar, he was always such a misfit" made me laugh LOL.

The Sea slug thing was very cool, I didnt get how he helped JarJar, but cool nonetheless!

Its nice to see some background senators like Onaconda are getting some attention in the clone wars. We see now that Padme isnt the only uncorrupted senator. You can tell he has a good heart and a good backstory to him as well. Hes no longer "the rodian senator" now, he has his own character and story.

cant wait to see next week's episode!!
  16. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm going to make a general point about the "women in battle" subthread. Each person here is putting forward "facts", when they are simply observations based on one's own experience. That does not make it factual in nature. I've seen nothing but opinion here.

And this is not the place for a debate - make a request in the Senate, where it belongs.

There's 3 or 4 people that are close to a ban at this point, but I'm in a good mood because it's the weekend.

Keep the discussion to the show itself - e.g., Padme's role is a legitimate sub-topic, for sure.

Thanks, guys. G_M.

And on the topic of Padme, I didn't have a problem with her taking out the Battle Droids with the blaster - that's consistent with her character in TPM and AOTC, and the Battle Droids are clearly just as ineffectual as the Stormtroopers in the OT.

The only problem I had was her taking them out hand-to-hand style - and only because we saw an armoured Clonetrooper try that in The Clone Wars, and he broke his hand and got shot.

If you have specific questions for Kevin, please PM me and he'll answer them next week.
  17. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    That was something new...[face_thinking]
  18. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I really enjoyed this episode, having found some of the past episodes somewhat dull and overly predictable. Granted, this fell into the predictable category too, but at least it stood out from the rest. My only real qualm about it was Padme's escape. She already used the hidden-hairpin trick in the movies, so it was a little old.

As has been said, the music and scenery were most awesome, and C-3PO redeemed himself in my eyes (I loved him in the OT but couldn't stand him in the prequels).

Nute Gunray, however, was fantastic. I was really worried I'd end up disliking him after this, but his snazzy attitude toward everything was perfect. The scene between him and Onoconda on the bridge was classic; his facial expressions gave him more character than the movies ever did. I absolutely can't wait to see him in the next new episode. :D

Ah, and Uncle Anac-*cough*Onoconda -- I've always gotten the impression he was a real jerk from the old Holonet News articles. I'm glad to see this new side to him, if only because it breaks the whole All-Rodians-Are-Jerks stereotype.
  19. Troopsguy Writer (TCW): Bombad Jedi -TROOPS, Tag & Bink

VIP
    star 1
    Believe me this was on my mind, and I did try to think of other ways for her to escape, but they all seemed a little too convenient, or too James Bond. So I figured stay with what's been established.
  20. Emperor_Gunray Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was going to mention that, his little smiles on the bridge were great, and the way he looked up into the sky and went "Oh! Havent the ships arrived yet?" was awesome, he seemed to be really enjoying himself. It was awesome seeing him in action again, and to have his grudge against Padme brought back - I loved how he was conning an entire planet just to get revenge on her.

Overall, I thought it was a good episode, not the best, but certainly not the worst. Jar Jar was pretty ok, and I laughed every time he said "Threeso!" and got corrected by 3PO.

Also, was I the only who was expecting Nute to say, "I have altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further...or something..."
  21. Yee_Moh Jedi Knight

Aw, c'mon guys. Is it really necessary to litter a good thread with this kind of adolescent tripe? Grow up.
  22. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    My apologies Garth. I just felt that if I didn't say my piece, it would be stuck in my head all day.

Anyway, excellent episode, and I must give a shout out to the person or people who designed the Rodian landscape.
  23. Simonjedi Jedi Padawan

I enjoyed this episode a lot its nice to see a more light hearted episode for a change and the jar jar related humour was actually IMO funny ("threeso" the whole "battle droids? no... conversation").

My only problem I can think of is Uncle Onoconda's voice sounded too like the clone troopers voices (i know it was the same voice actor but he could have done something different)

In the ROTS novel, Palpatine is a freind of the holy man who married them I think, so he's known for quite a while
  24. SuperPersch Force Ghost

star 4
    I loooooooved this episode. Jar Jar has always struck me as funny. He's purposefully annoying, and I was glad the characters showed that they were annoyed with him (more than usual, I mean).

Threepio was always my favorite as a kid, and it was funny seeing him as the "not so lame" one this go around. He was also very witty but compassionate, even when you can tell Jar Jar was on his nerves.

Padme was awesome as usual. I'm one of the only people I know that has no qualms with her whatsoever (not even her death) so any episode with her in it is awesome. To have her standing beside Jar Jar and Threepio was very entertaining.

The writing was very good, I thought. Kevin (and, apparently, the writing team) did a wonderful job with the comedic as well as the emotional and action-oriented. It was all very Star Wars. I loved it. No problems at all.
  25. Redfivee Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I too was impressed by how much I liked the episode.Jar Jar was Jar Jar but he came off more heroic then in TPM.
    Also it was just a nice change not to see Anakin and the gang on yet another adventure.Dont get me wrong I love those guys but this needs to be about the bigger picture with many different planets shown to establish that theres alot out there in the galaxy and showing Rodia is not only visually stunning but it gives the galaxy depth.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.