main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars- Episode 109: Cloak of Darkness Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Shouldn't she have been able to lift the pipe off herself with the Force? Or when it comes to such things is Yoda just significantly more advanced than the other Jedi?

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, in Shatterpoint, Matt Stover has Mace thinking that exact same thing: "Yoda would just float the tank out of the lava onto dry land", but he mentions something about how Yoda can do telekinesis like no other Jedi, and Mace has different talents.

So I'm thinking Luminara would really have to have time to concentrate to try it, plus she was probably freaking out a little. Again, suspension of disbelief, right?

3. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Notably, Luceno seems to take almost the exact same approach in LOE.[face_thinking]

4. darth_degnan

darth_degnan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2008
    This episode was near perfect until Anakin called Ahsoka "snips." Honestly, was that necessary? The conversation was a briefing with Yoda, and Anakin had to drop some stupid nickname? If I were Yoda, I would have gave Anakin the what the hell are you doing look.

Really a good episode though, we need more like this (and less like Bombad Jedi).

5. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    As to Lumiara not lifting the pipe...

I am of the mind that a Jedis command of the Force is purely a matter of focus. I enjoy watching a more down to earth interpretation of the Jedi. Any number of things can serve to make a Jedi lose focus, fighting an insane Sith, in an exploding engine room, with several 2 ton pipes falling on you, that would wrek mine, and I would expect most inexperienced Knights. This is a chick probably bred for diplomacy and study her whole life, now war; figting a born killer is ruf.

I have no trouble at all watching Yoda shred a batallion of droids, but I would only like seeing that from a few of the more battle hardened of the Masters.

I was overly satisfied with the interpretation of Luminara, even her insults had eloquence =) Her acknowledgement of Ashoka having taugt her a lesson was way classy as well.

6. QX1138

QX1138 Jedi Knight

Aug 13, 2007
    Hey i just realized something, Captain Argyus' hair-style looks exactly like the Joker's from Batman: TAS. A possible Paul Dini homage, hm? :)

7. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Aside from the fact that Ahsoka constantly knows better than her elders... [face_frustrated]

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I was just thinking about this episode....why wasn't Gunray scared ****less when Ventress kills Argyus? It's not like Argyus dying would've changed the fact that he would have to answer to Dooku later. And Gunray seems to be the sort of bad guy who would be thankful to a "loyal friend" who springs him out of a tough spot.

9. JediLuminaraUnduli

JediLuminaraUnduli Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2008
    Uhm, I believe Luminara was trained as a Jedi Guardian -- which focuses more on battle, than on diplomacy.

While she had skills in that area, her training was more on battle, hence her abilities with the lightsaber and the Force.

Quoting Wookiepedia:
    A Jedi Guardian was the name given to a Jedi whose skills and talents lay in battle, a light side mirror of the Sith Warrior.

They often concentrated on martial training and combat and usually engaged in combat more than any other Jedi, though they were no less skilled at diplomacy. Like all Jedi, they were keepers of the peace, acting as a kind of special police force for the Galactic Republic. Guardians traditionally wielded blue lightsabers, though this was not a rule.

Luminara was a Jedi Guardian. I think they downplayed her in this episode, or the Clone Wars series itself. Either that, or, more commonly, Ahsoka was over-endowed with powers and ability. There is just no way a Padawan could surpass a seasoned Master, Padawan of Anakin or not. Also, as said before, how could she have escaped without any injuries at all, from the explosion? At least some scratches, a minor, minor burn? Perhaps even dirt on her legs?

In my opinion (goes off onto rant), Ahsoka is a Mary Sue. She could be a great character if she didn't have overwhelming abilities, be able to get away with anything, talking back, making bad moves, and just be patted on the head and said ''You tried your best, Snips."

I thought that during the interrogation of Gunray, she'd finally get what she deserved -- but no. Gunray starts talking after being threatened, and have her proved essentially 'right' yet again.

She's getting really, really, really annoying.

I'm sorry, but I just don't find her all that believable, or all that great as a character. A Mary Sue in all, and without a doubt in my mind.

At least some consequence worthy of her actions?

Ah..that's what I think. Like it or not. =S

-M

10. VentressFan01

VentressFan01 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2008
    Just been playing on the Lightsabers Duels Clone Wars game and wondered why in Cloak of Darkness the "stand down and I'll give you a cookie" line was editited out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.