main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars- Episode 110: Lair of Grievous Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I personally love these episodes - the series in general. They're on par with the movies.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

I was wondering about that. It looked like KF could have taken GG and the magnadroids.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's what you get for referencing that awful skit! :p

4. Jedi_Soral

Jedi_Soral Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2008
    I probably shudda said, "I need more cowbell" or "cheeburger, cheeburger, cheeburger", but I just wasn't feelin' it.

"Touch my monkey?" [face_monkey]

OKAY...back on topic........>>>>>

5. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    Agreed. That just pours salt into the wound, really. Given the situation it makes it even worse if you assume he asked for the alterations and still couldn't deliver.

*Sagely*

It's not the Jedi way

Even though, you know, it's a galactic war and stuff.

And in reference to Fisto running away, there's a good reason: he was outnumbered and stood to gain nothing by continuing the battle. Grievous is the one who stood aside and allowed two magna guards team up on Fisto before he decided to join in again.

6. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I enjoyed tonight's episode. It was a good look at the Grievous character. Liked seeing the statue of him in his humanoid form. I hope a future episodes deals with his past before becoming more machine than man. The lair was cool and the action was top-notch, especially the duel between Fisto and Grievous.

Only a few criticims...the Mon Cal Jedi wasn't fleshed out enough. He starts off as a hothead Jedi and dies that way. Not much of a transition although these shows aren't really long enough to do that. Also, I wish Grievous would be portrayed as a better fighter in these duels. I know Fisto is a Jedi Master but still...

I'm only sorry we have to wait a couple of weeks for the next new episode.

7. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    I enjoyed this episode. I wasnt expecting to learn more about Grievous or see him unmasked. The episode was called Lair of Greivous, not "Origins of Greivous" or something like that. I like Fistos former apprentice Nahdar, I wish he could have lived and we see more of him but I guess he served his purpose. They really proved taht Fisto is one of the coolest Jedi ever when he just back flipped onto his star fighter and didn't even get in the cockpit and just rode on the outside :cool:

Good Stuff

8. RoderulijKumar

RoderulijKumar Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2008
    I know, but I mean, a home is where you learn about a person most, right?
    If they had gone into his bedroom, maybe...they would have learned more.
    (Imagines pink pillows and teddy bears)

9. jdklaic

jdklaic Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2008
    I think the design of the robert is cute, a little like the design in element fifth.See more http://www.dvdsetpro.com

10. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    An ok episode, but I was expecting a lot more. This and the Yoda episode both felt like I was watching a video game being played by someone else, the story was just to thin.

11. RoderulijKumar

RoderulijKumar Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2008
    And quite predictable.
    How about a little taunting from Grievous to Nadaar? That would have been...interesting. Too bad.

12. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    [face_laugh] Yeah, and a poster of Obi-Wan up on his wall. Did you see how sad he was when his pet died? I guess he does have a heart

Good Stuff

13. Fireman

Fireman Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2008
    Okay. Another die-hard Grievous fan speaking here...

I'm just going to list my thoughts...

PROS:
    It was pretty cool seeing Grievous fight without legs, clinging to the wall like the amazing Spider Man.
    The parts where Grievous showed personality were pretty nice, like where Grievous almost sounded sad at the death of his cute little pet, Gor. I was almost touched at the fact that Grievous had a heart.
    Trapdoors, Gor, and the general feeling of Fisto and Vebb being prey stuck in a house with a "serial killer" was great.
    That lightsaber duel with Fisto and Grievous was pretty cool, I guess...

CONS:
    I have to admit I was a bit disappointed by this episode. It was good, but I kinda expected it to be mind-blowingly fantastic after seeing the trailer. :(
    I think this whole 'lair episode' would've been much better if it had been expanded to one hour or two episodes. This episode had great potential going along with that 'victims stuck in a haunted house' type of theme, but the episode went by a little too quickly to set up that mood effectively, imo.
    The scene where Fisto and Grievous fought was pretty cool, but the big turn off was it was lacking fitting music...I think the directors were more focused on making sure the audience heard Grievous and Fisto swing their lightsabers at each other, which is pretty cool, but a nice soundtrack would've made it better.
    "If only you were a better warrior"?! Did these guys not see the 2D Clone Wars miniseries?
    Why did Grievous pull out a laser when he could've used a lightsaber to kill Vebb in a more epic way? (partly serious/xD)
    Grievous used to be a threat. The kind of threat that would make someone go "Holy ****! The good guys are gonna die now!" Now he's...like...(words cannot describe the failure).
    What happened to "Grievous, the great Jedi killer"? I know Fisto is a Jedi Master, but this is Grievous! The man who took down five (exhausted) Jedi without much effort, evaded heavy gunfire from about 20 Arc Troopers, etc etc. He should've at least put up more of a fight despite the fact that he "needed rest". He looked perfectly fine to me.
    I know Gilroy said putting the guy who's generally the guy who doesn't get depressed makes for a good adventure in a dark and depressing setting, but I have to disagree. It's like saying making the main character a badass cop who can see everything coming will make a scary movie more scary, when it doesn't. It gives the viewer a sense of trust and security, which results in less tension. Something you don't want for this particular kind of episode.
    Did I mention I'm also an Arc Trooper fan? Fil didn't represent them really well... The only notable thing he did apart from the other clones was survive the longest and then get his head smashed into the floor...

In all honesty, I think CW over hyped this episode. That, and my expectations for Grievous are rather high, thanks to the Clone Wars miniseries.

I'm sorry for this long, pointless rant. It's just that I had such high hopes for this episode and I could even tell my little brother was disappointed....Nonetheless, I may consider this episode to be my favorite so far.

14. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I was pretty impressed with the episode. I really didn't think it would be all that interesting since I'm sort of bored with GG in the CW series but this episode was very fast-paced and I loved KF's voice/personality. He was very fun and the foggy final duel was VERY well done. The best saber fight of the series so far.

15. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    I thought this was a very good episode action wise. I loved the atmosphere in Grievous' lair and the fact that this was again, in a sense, a seperatist victory. I think it also opens up for the possibility of being able to see Dooku spar with Grievous to improve his saber techniques to face Jedi Masters in the future. To this end, it would be interesting to see a Fisto/Grievous re-match when Grievous improves. This would also fit with Episode III where Grievous claims that he has been trained by Dooku. At this point, he is good enough to take out Jedi Padawans or Jedi knights, but still not there yet with Jedi Masters - and this only makes sense. Furthermore, it gives us our real first look with the relationship between Grievous and Dooku and a chance to allow it to be further fleshed out with possible training sessions to train him to be a true Jedi killer who can also take down Jedi Masters - hence Dooku's "room for improvement" comment.

I think it's a shame we didn't see more of Vebb. I think in the future, we should be introduced to more Jedi and see some of them perhaps fall to the dark side, seemingly how Nahdarr might have.

The animation with the lightsaber, again, is the best yet, topping even the previous episode's lightsaber battle. Let's face it, seeing some of our favourite Jedi in lightsaber battles is something us SW fans look forward to. Although, the series shouldn't be all about that, dialogue, character interaction and story should be number one, but these lightsaber battles as we have seen in episode 9 and 10 shouldn't appear TOO often, otherwise it takes away from the moment if they appear too often. It should be something special to see them.

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Thoughts as I go:

- I like how Kit has a green astromech. "Sweet Gorilla of Manila!"

- Yessss, the wink is as good as the grin.

- "A second look usually pays off" - great line.

- Already picking up an Aliens "Game over, man, game over!" vibe. [face_devil]

- great animation as they pick up on the Kaleesh statues.

- wow, Grievous sliced in half. This is intense!

- medical droid reminds me of Hawkeye in M*A*S*H*.

- Kit with the nice little saber flip a la Kenobi on the Acklay on Geonosis.

- I like how Dooku doesn't pull any punches when telling Grievous he's sucked the last few weeks -just like they did with Ventress last week.

- "You can't defeat us all." "Of course I can!"[face_skull]

- pretty cool episode. Not as badass as I thought it was going to be, but very solid, and I liked seeing into the "lair" of evil.

And I think the caribbean accent suit Kit Fisto.

17. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I liked this episode alot but General Grievous is NOT the Grevious from the 2D Cartoon,that was genddys version and if you watch EP3,there two different characters almost.
    This is the EP3 Grevious,remember Mace calling him a coward and him running away from every bad situation,this is him.

18. MvG-88

MvG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    I guess I was expecting a bit too much, still an OK episode but it felt as if it could have used 10-15 minutes more to show off more traps, more of the lair, more Nahdar and more of Grievous' past.

I really liked how they portrayed Fisto, thankfully, I'm a huge fan of him ^^ I always imagined a Jamaican accent, "dreads" and all, but I'm glad they didn't overdo it. He was rightfully shown as calm and easygoing, a good contrast to Luminara.

Nahdar could have used more time before he died. To show what mental effect the war has was a good idea that wasn't given enough time.

Grievous was pretty cool, sure, no ass kicking monster like in the Gennedy series, but I like him better this way, makes him more of a character. Too bad we didn't get to see his face without the mask, but I guess the image would have been too strong. Also from the webcomic I was expecting him to have Kaleesh guards rather than magnaguards which I guess would have been cool.

The last fight was pretty cool, but still a bit messy, too much lightsaber flashing to really understand who was hitting what, pretty much like the Grievous fight from RotS. Monster and Nahdar vs Magnaguards was cool though.

Too bad there is another huge ass break before the next one, but I guess that is something I'll have to deal with, and it gives me more time to focus on Christmas ^^

19. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    I don't think that the haunted house aspect of the show was especially effective. In fact, I thought that the scene where Grievous was hunting for Ahsoka in the Droid control ship in 'Battle of the Droids' was a lot more frightening then anything here.

But, I think it was really atmospheric and I enjoyed the characters. (As many of you know, I'm sick to death of the clones-as-WW2-GIs dynamic, so the fact that it was focused on non-Ahsoka Jedi was a welcome relief.)

There were the normal lapses in logic (Why didn't Grievous just drop a bomb on the Jedis when he knew their location? Why didn't Kit Fisto use the Force to push him off the ledge? How can one lightsaber block Grievous's four blades when this is geometrically impossible?) but, clearly, CW has demonstrated that it's only concerned with campy serial action and not ideas or continuity, so it's my fault to expect any of those things.

One thing that might've been cool is showing the Republic bombing the lair afterwords.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sure it is- he gave him a chance to surrender. Declining, Grievous is open season for a righteous kill. I mean, that's what Obi-Wan was sent to do iN ROTS, on the whole.

21. SoonerSean

SoonerSean Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2007
    I enjoyed it a lot... but wish it had ended with Kit in obvious danger and needing to escape. I agree that watching him just sort of casually end the battle and then depart without even FIRING at Grievous seems very odd. He should have been about to die and just escaped within an inch of his life and had no opportunity to fire at Grievous.

The way Kit reacted to his padawan's death reminded me of the way Yoda responded to Anakin's question about his dreams. I understand not wanting to have attachment - but sometimes the lack of almost any emotion is too much. Kit saw his padawn die and then moment later - with a smile on his face - lets the killer off without much of a fight.

I think the producers are still trying to figure out what they want to do with Grievous... in one episode a padawan can fight him off... in one episode a young jedi can decimate several of his body guards... and then in that same episode a MASTER can't stand and fight a couple of guards and Grievous. I mean... let's decide what Grievous can and can't do and stick with it. From what I've seen so far - Kit should have been able to eliminate him. Obviously he couldn't for continuity purposes - so that's why I say Kit should have been getting his butt kicked and HAD to leave.

One last comment... they know where Grievous is. Why didn't a handful of capital ships immediately fall out of hyperspace and begin bombarding the place? Why didn't squads of troops and Jedi appear to take him down? You've got the guy dead-to-rights and you... LEAVE?

Good episode visually and I loved certain parts... but it goes down as being a strange episode too.

22. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Ahhh, the Hollywood Squares guy! I recognized the vocal influence, but couldn't place the name. Good job, episode guide.

People who are disappointed about 2D Grievous vs 3D Grievous: you have to remember that 2D Clone Wars is a highly exaggerated take on the Star Wars story. The idea was to show Grievous as a formidable opponent, so they have a crazy scene where he's all over the place, killing jedi left and right. In "real life", he's not quite that good. He can kill jedi(as seen in this episode), and maybe can hold his own against a jedi master like Kit Fisto. But he's not going to jump around and slice 20 jedi like sticks of butter.

Complaining about this would be similar to complaining that Mace Windu has been wussified because he can't destroy a million battle driods with a single force-push.

Another thing about Grievous: I felt bad for him in this episode. I've felt bad for him in previous episodes, simply because he comes off as incompetent...but now I feel bad for him for other reasons. His sadness when his pet dies, the pain he feels whenever he has to undergo repairs, the crap that he gets from his boss. The poor guy just can't catch a break. Maybe it's just my crazy brain trying to explain away the lame Cartoon Network GG bio, but it felt like he was just rationalizing when he said that he "submits to no one!" and that he intentionally "improves" himself with robot parts.

23. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    Wow, I'm surprised by the reactions here, this is close to my favortie episode of the season.

I'll admit that they could have gone into Grevious more, but I always thought this was gonna be a Kit Fisto episode, and it was entirely. And, man, was Kit awesome, defintitley the best background character used so far, we need to see more of him. Pretty much everything he did was cool form the winks and the grins, to the finishing of Gorr, to the saber fight with Grevious. Pure awesomeness.

I, too would have like to see more of Nadar, if only so we could have had another character in the series that we don't know their fate. His death completely took me by surprise though. I was totally expecting him to die, but by being impaled by two sabers, not shot by Grevious. It was a great moment for Grevious though, really defined his character.

Next week's should be awesome, as we fianlly get to see more of Obi-Wan, and more of the Obi/Ani team, but are they really doing the giant monter fight again?

24. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    Sarcasm, my good man.

25. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    Ok just found out the director was Atsushi Takeuchi, who's worked on a bunch of anime movies. That would explain the anime vibe I was getting from the Kit Fisto and Greivous fight. Wouldn't mind if this guy did another one, I thought some of the shots were pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.