The Clone Wars- Episode 111: Dooku Captured Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by The2ndQuest, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_blush]

Did anyone else think Dooku's ever so casual pull of his cloak to conceal his lightsaber might have been a bit tad too obvious? It seemed that way to me.

I guess we'll find out next episode, but part of me suspects some of all this is a sham, though I'm not sure of the exact participants. Dooku seemed way too casual, though it could be mere arrogance that he could change the outcome by changing the playing field, so played along with his "capture."

I still have to wonder if Obi-Wan and Anakin's little drink switcheroo won't backfire on them. The ending was all too sudden and the set up perfect for the tables to be turned on them, hence their ending up as prisoners as well. I'm not spoilered, so perhaps I'm totally off base here.
  2. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I wonder sometimes how far into the future the Sith can see at this point.

Maybe Dooku knew exactly what was going to happen.

No spoilers about the next episode, please. The thread will be up tomorrow.
  3. WedgeWalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    That particular statement you quoted was actually directed at DBrennan, and his claim that the creators of the show are purposefully developing some sort of inappropriate flirtatious romantic relationship between Anakin and Ahsoka. I really don't see that being the case, as the evidence he presented isn't compelling. And so consequently, I think he's seeing things that aren't there.

That statement wasn't about the Ahsoka clothing issue.

But since you brought it up, and I'll keep it short and move on, since as GM points out there are more appropriate threads for this topic....

It's true that people analyze things differently. Fair enough. It's also true that humans are heuristic, often taking mental shortcuts and not fully analyzing each situation based on its own merits. (A two-edged sword heuristics. Keeps us from having to think through every little thing, but also affords us the chance to miss, or misunderstand, things.)

But there is still objective truth. And it's in that area that my real concern lies.

Here it is. Some folks are talking like they know that the reason why Ahsoka is dressed the way she is is because of X or Y or Z. Problem is, a claim about the statement Ahsoka's clothing is making is ultimately a claim about people's intentions (i.e. anyone who had a hand in designing the Ahsoka character with that outfit, and their reasoning for said outfit). People's intentions are objective facts. They do something because they intend X, and what I think about it doesn't change that.

Well, unless the designers of Ahsoka have come out and told us why she wears what she does, any claim about the statement her clothes make is pure speculation. Nothing wrong with speculation. But when we forget our speculation is speculation and start talking about it like it's objective fact...that's not reasonable.

Maybe Filoni and company really do think that for a woman to be empowered she has to wear revealing clothing. I tend to doubt that. But I don't know. And neither does any of us.

To assume that Ahsoka is designed a certain way because of a character flaw in people just isn't fair, or respectful.

No offense intended.
  4. Jedi-teen Jedi Padawan

re: DBrennan3333's 'theories'

1. NICKNAMES not PETNAMES. There is no indication of romance with Anakin and Ahsoka. Ahsoka made fun of Anakin's last name when she's irritated and that's where she got Skyguy. That is not a pet name. He in turn made an insulting remark by calling her Snips. DBrennan needs more human interaction so he knows the difference from experience.

2. ARMOR FOR AHSOKA. Filoni mentioned this at Celebration. Jedi wear armor because it's Clone Gear repurposed. Some Jedi wore armor early in the war so the clones would bond to them. None of the pre-fab armor fits Ahsoka, you see --- SHE'S A 14 YEAR OLD GIRL!

3. "That's my Master." Wow, you think that was dreamy eyed? She was being SARCASTIC, she was rolling her eyes. Of course, I shouldn't be surprised that you think that was romantic, because you think 'All About Eve' is a romantic comedy. Guess what -- It's not! It's a DRAMA about backstabbing betrayal.

I have a question for DBrennan3333. EDITED. PERSONAL ATTACKS ARE NOT COOL.
  5. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I still don't like how Order 66 was handled, but at least in that case the Clones had the element of surprise.

I would also argue that the Clones are far more skilled than generic Weequay pirates.
  6. Thorn058 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    The question about how could someone like Dooku be taken unawares by the pirates or why would he allow himself to be captured is a good one. I personally think it was all planned. While being a tradionalist as far lightsaber combat goes, Dooku has shown that he is not above using the force to gain an advantage. The huge conduit he pulls down on Anakin and Obi-wan in AotC shows he is definitly powerful enough to deal with being surrounded by pirates. He could have hit them all with darkside lightning, do a huge force push sort of like an explosion, with Dooku at the center and spreading out. He could have forced choked several if not all. Yoda showed us in episode one that Dooku could have force grabbed huge slabs of rock to blosk shots at him, So there was alot Dooku could have done, I choose to think that he had everything in hand and knew what he was doing.

As far as Ashoka's wardrobe goes. You have to think that if your entire life is as structured as life in the temple is supposed to be. Younglings all dressing alike, traditional robes and such. So by the time they are made Padawans they have to be looking for a way to be more individuals. Some customize their lightsabers, some take their typical cultural wardrobe and adapt it to a combat style ie Secura. So perhaps she is just tying to express her individuality. She has already shown herself to be very outspoken and hard headed just like Anakin. It is something to consider.
  7. DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Jedi,

I've got no interest in indulging this moronic slander. I've received bizarre letters like this before, but they usually come via e-mail. Please leave me alone, and understand that TFN doesn't allow personal attacks.
  8. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    That particular statement you quoted was actually directed at DBrennan...

My sincere apologies...quotes within quotes throw me as to who said what.

It's true that people analyze things differently. Fair enough. It's also true that humans are heuristic, often taking mental shortcuts and not fully analyzing each situation based on its own merits. (A two-edged sword heuristics. Keeps us from having to think through every little thing, but also affords us the chance to miss, or misunderstand, things.)

Well said, well said, I totally agree.

To anyone I may have misquoted or misunderstood, my apologies.

On topic, I hope: has anyone any suggestion why Obi-Wan and Anakin didn't use their rebreathers?

9. Andersonian Jedi Knight

star 1
    My guess would be that they're only for use in water.

Which isn't that far fetched, I assume they're for pulling oxygen out of the water like a fishes gills, but they wouldn't work for filtering poisons out of the air.
  10. Thorn058 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Or why didn't they pull the same move Qui-gon and Obi-wan did in PM unless holding their breathe would have been too long of a wait given their trapped status
  11. Game3525 Force Ghost

star 4
    Still doesn't make sense since they were able to use the rebreathers in LOE(I know it is EU,lol)
  12. Andersonian Jedi Knight

star 1
    My guess would be what you just said combined with the fact that they were tired from being chased by a Gundark.

Also as far as the rebreather goes, I just cracked out my copy of the Star Wars SAGA edition roleplaying game, and it does in fact describe the "Aquata Breather" as being for use only in water.
  13. boletus Jedi Master

star 1
    Um, if there's subliminal messages there you wouldn't be aware of them. No?
  14. WedgeWalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    No problem. No apologies required. :)
  15. JediMasterShawn Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh, but it's ok when you shove your opinions down other people's throats and spam the boards with your ideas on the Clone Troopers?

Let's cool it, please. I told you guys to drop it. Thanks, G_M.
  16. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Now THAT would be cool... and kind of explain everything re: Dooku.
  17. CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master

star 4
    How do these threads end up in such chaos? The 104 and 108 threads blew themselves up, and now this one, too?

Stop being so cowardly and post these topics in the senate! Not here. You're scaring away the kids, or did you forget that TCW is targeted at kids, and that LACWAC and WNU should be the most kid-friendly boards on the JC? Obviously yes.
  18. Super_Battle_Droid Force Ghost

star 5
    Why does Dooku wink at the monkey-lizard, is he working for Dooku?
  19. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Amen, brother.

(the following is meant to be a parody and, hopefully, a wake up call. Apologies for any offended)(in Anakin's voice) Sometimes I wonder what's happening with the Fan Order. I think these debates are destroying the principles of LACWAC.

(in Padme's voice) Have you ever considered that maybe you're on the wrong board?
  20. Dartheater Jedi Knight

star 1
  21. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Next person that references DBrennan3333 or his arguments in this thread without him posting gets banned.

I told you guys enough was enough.
  22. Tordelback Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm behind in my episodes, so I've only just come to this thread. I also appreciate that the ever-patient Garth Maul has unsheathed the ban-stick, but I would like to make some general comments.

Having watched Dooku Captured last night, I was really energised by just how much fun it was and was dying to see what everyone else thought. It was funny, exciting, subtle, and full of great design and imagery. I watched it again this morning, and liked it so much I decided that it might be appropriate for my 2.5yr old son to watch. I've held off on showing him SW at all before, although he's seen bits of the films/books/toys in passing (hard not to in my house), since most of it is just too violent or scary for his age (even ANH has the BBQ-flavour Lars), or is just too talky to hold his attention. He loved it, his very first Star Wars. He demanded to watch it again tonight before he went to bed, soundly defeated me in a pitched lightsabre battle, and wanted to know when he could watch the next part. Total result - bravo to George, Henry and the crew.

Standing in stark contrast to that triumph, there's this thread. It actually makes me a bit ashamed to be a Star Wars fan, and just when I was feeling at my proudest.

I would earnestly advise some folk here to consider that there is no such thing as culturally-independent modes of dress, that like Luke in the cave you see only what you bring with you, and that the person you are so concerned about is a Togruta Jedi Padawan from a GFFA, and not a 'tween girl' from anyone's local Mall. And for the record, thinking that every interaction between an adult and a teenager must automatically contain some element of sleeze is the most pathetic thing I've read in a while. All I can see is possibly the only positive, healthy interpersonal interaction Anakin has had since he left Mos Espa.

You may ban when ready, Garth.
  23. Evil_Billaba Jedi Knight

star 1
    can someone tell me how anakin and obi got caught? i thought they switched drinks.
  24. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Yes, they switched drinks. The webcomic depicts the Kowakian Monkey Lizard's subsequent attempts to knock them out by drugging a roast, then dropping a chandelier on them, both of which the Jedi use the Force to evade. Eventually the Kowakian dumps a barrel of drugs in the ventilation system and knocks them out. However, in The Gungan General, the Jedi say it was their drinks that drugged them.

It's simply a big mess.
  25. Humble_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    That's stuff straight from the Force Unleashed; a game in which the Force is purposefully being portrayed as 'over the top' and über powerful, just for exciting gameplay. Such display of Force power is nowhere to be seen in any of the six movies, and I think it's safe to say that you won't see any of that stuff in The Clone Wars either.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.