main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars- Episode 111: Dooku Captured Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Thoughts as I go:

- Kenobi doing the moonwalk into the ship is awesome, reminds me of KOTOR 2.

- pretty decent Obi-Wan/Anakin dialogue to start.

- okay, the back-and-forth is getting a little predictable.

- the pirate captain is cool.

- "the mother of all Gundarks" ha ha ha

- how'd they get Dooku's sabers away? I don't get it.

- oh, look, Ahsoka to the rescue again.:rolleyes:

- and Padme is speaking for the Jedi Council?

- always fun to see Jedi vs. Dooku, particularly in dialogue.

- well, next week's episode looks completely ridiculous.

Overall, not a bad episode. Having Dooku in it is always fun, and the pirate captain was pretty cool.

EDIT after reading the rest of the thread:

(1) We're not exactly sure how exact the Jedi sense is: Obi-Wan obviously knew Anakin was close, but was one door off - although, Anakin could have been hiding above that cell, since he's obviously not in his own cell.

(2) The poison gas was fairly meh. It felt completely tacked on after the great interaction with the Gundark, and quite frankly, the gas was only added because I'm sure the producers wanted to shoehorn Ahsoka in somehow. The entire conversation between Ahsoka and Anakin could have been cut.

(3) Besides the fact that next week's episode has Jar-Jar (when Palpatine nominated him tonight, let's just say I had a bad feeling about it), how do the pirates capture the Jedi? Obviously the drugs in the drinks won't work, so I'm assuming they just do the same thing they did to Dooku.

Ulicus, I think you're being too hard on Dooku/the writers. He's completely surrounded and without his lightsaber. The odds that at least one pirate would hit him are pretty high.

Look at Anakin confronted by Jango Fett and the destroyers in AOTC - quick surrender. Obi-Wan was captured on Geonosis as well.

I agree though, that the writers certainly made all the Jedi look fairly helpless without their lightsabers in general.

(4) I don't mind references to the films, but sometimes it's a little obvious: (a) Anakin losing another lightsaber, (b) Dooku bringing down the ceiling, (c) sliding down the elevator shaft.

(5) Whoever mentioned Palpatine's denials about Dooku being captured being awesome is totally correct - that was great.

2. Jedi-teen

Jedi-teen Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2006
    Dear George, I was excited when I read that this would be your episode of TCW you wrote.

Wow! This episode looked great! Loved the saucer, that had to be your idea! You're old. Seriously, Gundork was cool looking and BAd Ass and the 'mother of all gundork' joke even made me feel like I was watching Shrek. Oh, snap!

Wow! This story was terrible. I felt like I was watching attack of the clone again, just a bunch of events tied together like a videogame. Was it me or was level one was the fight on the ship, level two was the space battle, level three the cave battle. Uh-oh, here comes the dreaded level four politics conversation. Man, that is not good. Here are a few questions I hope you can answer for me.

Why is Dooku keeping Anakin alive?

So Dooku is reduced to a damsel in distress? His lightsaber gets pick pocketed by a monkey? He's like the 5th most powerful Bad Ass in the galaxy and you've turned him into a plot point or a device. If he's not faking it, this has got to be one of the saddest things I have ever seen in any Star Wars. Do you ever think about the characters anymore?

The old lost lightsaber gag? Again? Why?

Ahsoka saves the day? Again? sigh.

Next week Jar Jar saves them all? One Gungan to findsa them and in the darkness freesa them?

Okay, I will say it. I am terrified of next week. Why? Because that was a dramatic drop off from how good the stories have been, except Jarjar. Can you please retire and put Filoni and Gilroy and Dini back in charge of the scripts.

Thanks,
    Dev

3. Jedi_Soral

Jedi_Soral Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2008
    Oh yeah...now that you guys mentioned it:

Flying saucer: win

Weequay pirates: win

Salacious Crumb-creature: win, but a little "tomato-y"...

Ahsoka "saves the day": again??? this is getting silly. They could've used Rex or Cody.

Another "giant creature" killed: have the Jedi no compassion? Good thing there are no animal activists in the SW universe! lol!

Jar Jar next week: once a season is good enough... the previews are giving me Phantom Menace flashbacks. (shudders)

[face_hypnotized]

4. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    Why do so many people hate Jar Jar? I don't mind jar Jar one bit. Can't wait to see what the gungan will do in next week's episode!

Star Wars 4ever!

5. GenitalGrievous

GenitalGrievous Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2008
    Alright, let's me play devil's (apologists') advocate with a movie example. In AOTC, look at the many examples of outnumbered Jedi being captured or surrounded. Obi-Wan, the great Sith killer, is nearly bitch slapped by a bounty hunter in fancy armor and his son. Anakin and Padme are surrounded by Jango and a squad of droids/droidekas. Obi-Wan is later seemingly overwhelmed by Geonosians. The survivors of the Jedi attack on Geonosis are completely surrounded and defeated by great numbers of battle droids, with execution a moment away. And battle droids ain't exactly hardened pirates. Are you saying that Obi-Wan, Anakin, Mace and many other Jedi can look like fools, but Dooku can't be outgunned?

Even in ROTS, Anakin and Obi-Wan are defeated by the mighty, insurmountable power of Grievous' ray shields.

There are plenty of examples of Force users just being flat out overwhelmed.

Now the debate on sensing others with the Force is difficult. Ventress and Kenobi can both sense Anakin going into light speed while on a planet (in TCW movie), but Obi-Wan can't sense Anakin in the next cell. Frankly, I find the later more believable than the former.

6. GenitalGrievous

GenitalGrievous Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2008
    Oh, BTW, did anyone else notice in preview for the next episode, Jar Jar doesn't sound like Ahmed Best in some of the dialogue?

7. Jedi_Soral

Nov 21, 2008
    Here's a nerd-girl's pov: Jar Jar is just a slap-stick character meant to get a cheap laugh from bumbling around. In small doses, he's fine; I liked "Bombad Jedi" because he was 'contained' within that episode. But when you have him potentially saving the day by just stupidly bumping into things and accidentally destroying stuff, that just doesn't sit well with a lot of people. It's like asking the Three Stooges to save the Justice League...you've got awesome jedi, skilled troopers, but this oaf is their savior? I dunno, I can't handle too much "three stooges" stuff. Give me smart, intelligent writing that has its characters working their way out of a sticky situation than "Jar Jar pushing the wrong button" type of stuff.

I hope this doesn't turn this thread into a Jar Jar roast, but boyyyyy, are the flames are gonna fly next week! (channeling my inner-Leia>>) I can feel it...

8. Jedi_Soral

Nov 21, 2008
    lol, really? Like Ahmed has better things to do with his 'busy' career! :rolleyes:

I'll have to check it out on the replay. The only thing worse than having Jar Jar in more episodes is having a fake-sounding Jar Jar in more episodes. o_O

9. Jedi_Soral

Nov 21, 2008
    As far as Dooku being captured...it's not impossible or anything. He's not uber- powerful, even with force abilities, like lightning. However, it's the director's job to convey to us that this somewhat powerful person was put into a situation he couldn't get out of. If people are questioning why didn't he do this or that, it's the director's fault for not properly conveying the character's dilemma. From what I remember from one viewing, Dooku was surrounded, but knowing his abilities, he might have looked like he could have taken them out since he didn't look "overwhelmed." A force push here, a force push there...a force pull to get his sabers... So, as someone mentioned earlier, he was stranded and needed some transport away from the jedi who were tailing him. Thus, better to go with the pirates than to get captured by the jedi. He probably could've gotten out of the situation later, when appropriate. So I blame poor directing or writing; they didn't effectively convey the situation and thus many viewers are questioning to how someone of Dooku's abilites could get caught like he did.

10. bgsoatob

bgsoatob Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2008
    Why Rex "saving the day" is better than Ahsoka?!
    You don't like it only because you don't like Ahsoka.
    Ahsoka can use the Force to sense they're in trouble in the cave, Rex and Cody can't.

And, they didn't kill the Gundark, they only block the entrance.
    You should watch the show more carefully.

11. Jedi_Soral

Nov 21, 2008
    Did I say I hate Ahsoka??? I love Ahsoka! I love female Jedi! But I think many agree that the" kid showing up at the right moment to save the jedi" thing is getting old, that's all. Even this chick is tired of seeing her show up, with that smug "I saved you again" look. Rex and Cody can use thermal detonators, which it sounds like the troopers did anyway.

Okay, upon second viewing, a bunch of boulders fell on top of gundark, but apparently it didn't kill it; Obi says something like, "before she wakes up" ...really quickly. Guess I didn't hear that part. They only blocked the entrance after they were saved. But my original comment was made in jest, anyway, tongue-in-cheek. Thus the 'lol.'

Why the attitude, dude? You sound like I just whizzed in your cheerios. Chill.

12. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    This isn?t my favourite episode (top 5 though), but I think it is definitely the best written by far. It almost felt like I was watching a different series than the previous 10 episodes. The animation was certainly the best yet, if we go by what is said in the DF and HG interview this must have been the most expensive episode yet.

The last scene with the switching of the drinks was great, one of the best buddy moments Anakin and Obi-Wan has ever had in any star wars story ever, and this episode was also one of the best buddy stories they?ve ever had. It was great that the "far of" Gundark would probably have killed them 3 seconds before the poison did. I also thought it was great how Palpatine did his best to avoid the republic getting Dooku, but every suggestion was beaten down by the pirate leader. The pirates in general were great. There leader was a pretty good character and looked pretty damn cool.

The only things I didn?t like about the episode was that I thought it was way to easy for our heroes to reach Dooku in his private rooms on his own ship and that I would have expected them to ask some questions to the prisoner when they finally got alone with him.

13. Darthsmuse

Darthsmuse Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2004
    Just caught episode 11 on Sky Premier in the UK this morning and Asharak's comments above reflect my views too. More of the same please in the next ten episodes.

14. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    A number of things bothering me a little here.
    1. "a long and perilous search" - is this meant to mean the episodes we've seen so far? Because I don't recall Episode 10 ending with them pinpointing Dooku...
    2. "Anakin Skywalker has gone missing" - if this is the in-universe voice of the holo-news, then I guess it makes sense for him to support Skywalker's faux-capture.
    3. I know the animators are busy boys and girls, but all the visuals over this segment (before the Obi-Wan shot) are shots of stuff we've already seen. Not a biggie in itself, but when the narrator says "a heroic attempt to capture the Count", we see a clip of the battle when all Anakin was trying to do was escape from the Count. The Tatooine battle wasn't about capture, it was about stalling at best.

I liked this :D
    I also liked the bickering between Obi-Wan and Anakin, this suggests the 'brother' relationship to me more that the back-slapping stuff.

I'm right in thinking she's talking about The Malevolence, aren't I? Just my initial thought was of the Invisible Hand situation, which obviously hasn't happened at this point.

That being said, loved the episode, and can't wait to see General Binks next week :D

15. VentressFan01

VentressFan01 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2008
    Watched it on TV this morning the UK is now getting the new episodes the same time as the USA!It was nice to see the relationship between Anakin & Obi-Wan. Looking forward to The Gungan General!

16. MvG-88

MvG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    Good episode.

Ani/Obi felt familiar, a sort of mix in between the AotC and RotS relationships.
    Loved the Weequay pirates, added a good feel to the episode, especially the parro... red Salacious Crumb
    Looks as if they have expanded the "library" of models, this episode had a number of different Weequay, Obi in space suit, the Grant as well as a Gundark. Really helped the episode a lot, hopefully it gets even better in the Ryloth arc.
    Can't say I'm excited about Jar Jar next week, he's had his episode, he doesn't need another one...
    I'm also really glad they decided to cut the storyline in two, Lair of Grievous felt hasted, this one has a much better pace.

17. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Who is Senator Kharrus?

18. DarthFrenchFry

DarthFrenchFry Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2007
    What was that?

That was the WORST... I repeat... WORST episode of the lot.

I'm without words... seriously...

garbage...

19. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
    Next week's episode will be even worse with Bink's appearance.

Jar Jar Binks is the only hope for Anakin and Obi-Wan? Pleaze!

20. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Great episode, the tunnel chase where Dooku fires Sith lightening at Anakin was really cool. And it's great to finally see Dooku in an episode instead of just in a hologram or a brief appearance; he exuded confidence throughout, even when the pirates captured him, as if he knew what was going to happen all along. And perhaps he does...[face_thinking] :p

The Obi-Wan/Anakin banter was great, it seems they both need to remember that their lightsabers are their lives...especially when faced with a very angry Gundark.

The Weequay pirates were cool, their settlement had that Arabia nomadic feel(I think the music helped convey that as well). And Anakin made a good point, how could drunken pirates so easily capture Dooku? And the drink switching was funny.

I'm looking forward to next week's episode...especially when Obi-Wan, Dooku and Anakin have to work together to escape the pirates, that dynamic should be interesting. Then, throwing in the zany antics of Bombad 'Jedi' Jar Jar...well, I hope it's a good one!

And of course I loved the reversal of fortune from what happened to Obi-Wan in AOTC and then Dooku being in the exact same position.:D

21. batsy2

batsy2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2008
    would guys just drop the whole jar-jar thing already i mean come one he is not nearly as bad as he was in the phantom menace. so get over it and stop ruining it for the rest of us

22. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
    No, he's worse than in TPM.

23. Super_Battle_Droid

May 8, 2002
    Shouldn't Dooku have been able to have sensed that Pikk was taking his lightsabers?

24. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    "would guys just drop the whole jar-jar thing already i mean come one he is not nearly as bad as he was in the phantom menace. so get over it and stop ruining it for the rest of us"

Its just that of all the characters in the Star Wars universe they could use, they choose to use him. They already have the models for Kitt, Luminara and Plo Koon, but they decide to use Jar Jar, who quite a lot of people dislike/hate. When he is able to save the day it makes everything seem less dangerous and it reflects badly on the other heroes for not being able to do it themselves. They are Jedi and can use the force, while his special power is being an idiot.

I don?t dislike the character, I just don?t think he fits with what I personally consider the star wars world, and the times when he is on screen are the only times I feel like I?m watching a show for 5-10 year olds.

25. The_Attackinator

The_Attackinator Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2008
    As am I. :) BtW, if you're still having issues with the whole Tyranus gets captured thing then I'd advise you to check out Dave's new episode commentary. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.