main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 113: Jedi Crash Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Seeing as Aayla's "meanings behind words" are all the fashion these days, I'd like to know what people thought of another scene:
    Ahsoka's amazing investigative powers deduce from the drawing that the locals must live near...gigantic...trees! To which Aayla replies: "Very perceptive, padawan."

On my first viewing this comment seemed completely ironic, given how obvious that drawing was. But upon repeat viewing, Aayla's delivery of the line made me question whether she was actually praising Ahsoka's deductive powers or not.

2. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Regarding the "reckless" line, two things come to mind:

1. the writers sacrificed character for the sake of having a "cool" line said by Aayla.

2. silly little things like this line, the Jedi drink switch in Gungan General, Dooku's lightsaber dilemma in Dooku Captured, are easily fixable problems which seem to be dragging the latest TCW episodes down. Shame.

3. boletus

boletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    I'd like to believe that she was being sardonic, almost chastising Ahsoka for stating the obvious. But it's probably more of a we needed to show Aayla being a teacher to the padawan and encouraging her. I too found that particular bit a little odd and almost too simple. I figure it's a piece more geared towards kiddies--simple enough for them to understand.

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Because there's no conflict between the idea that some Jedi can heal and the films.

In the OT: Ben arguably does it in A New Hope, Luke's essentially been trained as a weapon and would have no need to heal, and Yoda's never around Luke when he's injured.

In the PT: The only wound in the PT that one would think healing could fix would be the gashes that Obi-Wan received from Dooku in AotC and we never see how those are healed, only that they are by the time he returns to Coruscant. It could be bacta or it could be something else. Anakin's arm wouldn't work because Force Heal has never restored limbs. They couldn't stop Padme's death because she was physically fine.

5. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    I think they were also trying to go back to ESB where we learn Obi-wan and Luke are both reckless and play off of that. But in doing so they missed the point of the whole thing, because the point when Luke and Obi-wan truly become great Jedi is when they learn to not be so reckless. And it is, in a way, Anakin's recklessness that leads to his downfall in some aspects. So there is no truth to Aayla's statement that only the good Jedi are reckless.

The line also goes against the Jedi philosophy and Aayla is considered to be a pretty good Jedi at this time, so it's weird she would believe this. It also contradicts her teachings to Ahsoka in the episodes - specifically what she says about attachments - so it's a 180 that makes it stand out. It might have worked had they not already established her through her teachings to Ahsoka. Maybe if they had opened with her being reckless, then it would have worked, but she wasn't reckless.

And there is no doubt, IMO, that the line was delivered to be serious. The fact that people are arguing that it isn't supposed to be serious is a problem. The line shouldn't be in there if it's going to cause this much confusion. A good line wouldn't have been debatable.

6. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Although a good hard slap accompanied by a "maybe think about your CHILDREN?" could have helped [face_laugh]

7. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    When was this, exactly?

If Admiral Yularen had been present at all these events what would he have thought of the Jedi invloved:
    Was Luke turning off his targetting computer not reckless? (I suppose he kinda was present at that one..). Was Luke's plan to free Han from Jabba really prudent - didn't he have bigger fish to fry? Was Luke ignoring Ben and Yoda's advice regarding Vader not once but twice not the definition of reckless? Was Luke throwing his lightsabre away on the Death Star II not supremely reckless?

I'd say he'd have been horrified - but were these not the very occasions that defined Luke's successes as the champion of the Light Side? Jedi are reckless - from a certain point of view.

I'm sorry, but to quote Qui-Gon again: "Feel, don't think, use your instincts". Sounds pretty reckless to me.

Aayla's line is serious. It does make sense. She's using Yularen's words to make a point about a Jedi's connection to the Force guiding their actions in the moment being more important that a cold analysis of the facts.

8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'd love for someone to point to an example of Jedi-Super Healing in the EU, instead of the constant claims about how wildly spectacular the Jedi Healing within the EU is.

It's one thing to say "All the EU Jedi could have healed themselves", but I'd like to see the claim backed up by an example or two from the EU. To just simply claim "this is how the EU is" without pointing to evidence of the claim isn't getting us anywhere.:)

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "Super healing" would be pretty rare- I can only think of Cade in that example, and maybe whatever Freedon Nadd's spirit did to convince Exar Kun to give himself over to the darkside.

Other than that, there generally seem to be specific healers like Barriss, Cilghal, etc. Individuals seem to be able to do a healing trance but that's not a quick fix (though perhaps that woudl explain how Anakin could fight off the beastie a little?).

10. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I agree. This is her way of saying "I appreciate what you're saying Admiral, but I know better. As Dexter would say "I would think you Jedi would know the difference between knowledge and wisdom."

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In the book it's claimed that Luke fainted, so Ben didn't necessarily have to do anything.

12. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    I still like the episode.

The "reckless" line has many possible ways of being looked at. But I think it's safe to say we're not forced into the notion that it constitutes a the-writers-failed-with-this-bit type of contradiction.

I also think that, not judging here, it is conversations like this that give SW fans a reputation. (Not saying that's good or bad.)

Yes, the plot was simple. That gave the episode room to breathe.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's at least partly ironic:

If you leave now, help them you could. But you would destroy all for which they have fought and suffered.

14. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    I'm sorry, but to quote Qui-Gon again: "Feel, don't think, use your instincts". Sounds pretty reckless to me.

Aayla's line is serious. It does make sense. She's using Yularen's words to make a point about a Jedi's connection to the Force guiding their actions in the moment being more important that a cold analysis of the facts.[/quote]

Obi-wan is less reckless, clearly, by AOTC. Luke, by Jedi. And he took a stand and put his trust in the Force and his feelings when he tossed away his saber. Freeing Han was very Jedi like and worked out well, as you can see by the ending of Jedi.

And yes I was going to lump Qui-gon in the reckless category, too, but Yoda calls him more "defiant" than "reckless." But, okay, let's just call him reckless... and look how that turns out for him. LOL.

You're reading into her line way more that you should. It was meant to be a snappy one-liner... and that's the problem. I also don't see how using the Force to guide their actions in the moment has to be reckless?

15. Tordelback

Oct 14, 2008
    It's not. But it looks that way to others, just like it looked that way to Padme when Qui-Gon bet her ship on a podrace.

It also is just a snappy one liner - but one that makes sense when you look at all the apparently reckless things that Jedi have to do to be any good at their job.

I think you could actually push this argument further, and say that the Jedi Council's ultimately-fatal navel-gazing and pontificating comes as a result of too little of this sort of 'recklessness'. This may be why Qui-Gon butts up against their hidebound Code - he lives in the moment, recklessly swept along on the tides of the Living Force, his rational thoughts subservient to a mind open to the value of fools, droids and children in enacting the Will of the Force. And it's only when Luke, the last Jedi, ignores Ben's explicit warnings about Vader ('twisted and evil, more machine now than man') and instead follows what the Force showed him of his father's conflicted nature, that the Jedi triumph. It looks reckless, but it's not - it's listening to what the Force tells him, rather than the alleged wisdom of his Masters.

16. boletus

boletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    I agree completely. Furthermore, I think it interesting that it is Qui-Gon who is the one who discovers the secret of retaining one's consciousness after rejoining the force (all sparkly-glowy). And note that perhaps, and I wager, the stuffy old ways of the Jedi were an important piece of the Sith's victory. Their whole rule about avoiding attachment (to not would be reckless) is exactly what drove Anakin to hide his love and marriage, which lead to his fall to the dark side. It wasn't until attachment from Luke (who was reckless) saved him, that the proficy was fulfilled. I think it's a theme that runs throughout the SW saga, and one that is open to argument. And I think that's part of the greatness of it.

17. Tordelback

Oct 14, 2008
    Yeah, it'd be a huge mistake to accept that the endless JEDI mantra of "attachment = bad" as representing a 'true' position, or one that Lucas subscribes to. I've always felt that this was the essential difference between the trilogies and their protagonists: Luke had mates - Anakin had colleagues. It's what saved Luke time and again, and allowed him to take the burden of saving the whole galaxy off his shoulders, and instead concentrate on saving one man. Anakin on the other hand had no-one but his judgemental masters or Palpatine to turn t, and came to see himself as responsible for fixing everything. Just imagine if he had had a Han or a Leia to talk some sense into him.

18. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Yeah, this "reputation" is certainly well deserved. The fact that we've spent so many pages complaining/arguing about such a simple line of dialogue is embarassing, frankly. Tordel's explanation was spot-on, I don't see what the big deal is.

Also, I caught an encore showing of Jedi Crash tonight and it was just as good on second viewing. Love the score, love the scenery. And the opening battle is as cool as anything seen in the movies.

19. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    How can anyone breathe if Aaylas ship is burning up as it ENTERS the atmosphere?????????????

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As an aside- did the voice of the chieftan remind anyone else of the worm from Labyrinth?

"'Allo"
    "Did you just say 'hello'?"
    "No- I said 'Allo', but that's close enough."

I know the worm was less irish, so maybe I'm thinking of something else. He definitely invoked something familiar.

21. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    [face_laugh]

I'll take the film and the script over the novelization.

22. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Yep. It was a nice contrast with the last two episodes, which, I think most agree, were a bit heavy on plot points that didn't add up.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, the film doesn't show what happened, and neither does the script:

So neither the film nor the script contradict the novel in this instance.

24. Tordelback

Oct 14, 2008

Well, the droids don't have to, the Clones can apparently operate in a vacuum for limited periods, and the Jedi can, uh, hold their breaths really well? Maybe Aayla's ship is well into the atmosphere by the time Anakin commandeers the rocket droid?

25. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Yeah, am I missing something? I've seen a few people make that claim, but to me it looks like all ships have already entered the atmosphere. The only ship that's burning is Aayla's ship, but I don't think it's due to atmospheriv entry...I just think it's been shot to hell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.