main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 114: Defenders of Peace Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    ,,Still, next week should be good... seems to be about a peace negotiation and moves away from the direct clone war stuff.,,

Yeah,let the main villains take a break.

2. Andersonian

Andersonian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2009
    That's what I thought too.

Except I eat those as an adult, too. :p

That food stick was weird though, it made a crunching sound like an apple or a water chestnut* when she bit into it.

*Those crunchy things you get in Chinese food.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Fine- North American! :p

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Looked pretty similar to what Luke was eating on Dagobah. :confused:

5. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009

To me, the GFFA has been made up of American, English, Scottish, Australian, and New Zealands accents, with the rare presence of Kenyan language (Sullustans), Romanian/Russian (Grievous), whatever Watto was (Jewish/Arab/Italian/other), whatever pidgin Jar Jar is, and the Korean inspired Neimoidians. That's not including all of the fictional languages. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but Ben Burtt has been good about populating the galaxy with many different voices.

I don't see why there's reason to give pause when accents are used on this show. With 50 hours of Clone Wars, its logical that we are going to have new languages and accents.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I find it interesting how they've handled Ahsoka so far in the series.

It's almost like Dave and Henry have been listening to our comments, because it seems like they really reined her in.

We discussed that having her in such a main role in TCW film was simply a way to promote her as Anakin's Padawan, but it seems like she has calmed down somewhat, although I still can't stand the nicknames...I mean, I'd be okay with *some* nicknames, just not those in particular. [face_laugh]

They've basically told us on the DVD commentary that Ahsoka gets in a a great deal of trouble, I think on Ryloth, and I'm wondering if she'll ever be the same after that.

As someone else pointed out a week or two ago, I'm not sure if Ahsoka should be hanging out with every Jedi-of-the-Week (Plo Koon, Luminara Unduli, Aayla Secura), because in some ways, I'd rather they focus on these characters we don't get to see very often.

However, in Defenders I thought they had a pretty good balance of Ahsoka/Anakin/Aayla (gods, I'm getting sick of the "A" names. Artoo, Asajj.) [face_hypnotized]

7. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Isn't that a walking holoprojector? When Durd holoconferences with Dooku, Dooku is life-size, like Sidious talking to Gunray in Ep. I.

8. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    Regarding the fact that Wag Too rolls and the others don't, he may have learned it from the watching Mariduns natives, the Ammanin, who roll exactly like that as there primary form of locomotion.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't have an objection to new languages and accents being introduced in the show- especially for new species. I just would object to the notion of giving a character an accent for the sake of giving them an accent. There are more ways to make a character unique and stand out without giving them a new accent (just look at the clones in Rookies for an extreme example).

10. JEDI_MADDEN

JEDI_MADDEN Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2008
    Great Episode. I thought the writers would decide to make the Lurmen abandon their tradition in order to preserve their village. Good stuff.

Anyway, the shield generator was confusing.
    1. I thought that walking through a ray shield would incinerate unarmored beings. (See Attack of the Clones Visual Guide)How could they just walk through?
    Also in the Clone Wars Movie, to get through the shield they had to hide behind a wall or under a box.
    2. If it was just a ray shield, since the Fat Neimodian was using a projectile weapon, why not just shoot it directly through the shield since people and droids can pass through unharmed?

3. I don't think these things are important to GL, but as a EU fan, they are to me.

11. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    But even then, language was used to differentiate Rex and Cody with their difference pronunciations of "Tibrin." This was much more subtle than a goatee or a mohawk. There's only so many hair colors, hair cuts, tattoos and eye patches you can use. Voices are always going to be a key aspect to character.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I would want the characters to sound unique- but that can be subtle, in the inflection of certain words, the types of phrases they use, how elaborate or brief they are, etc, without having to give them an accent. There's only so many accents you can use before they start blending. It's the other details that make them unique amongst similar baseline templates.

1) Ray shielding doesn't stop physical objects- that's what particle shields are for. There are different types of ray shields too- some block everything and would be dangerous to orangics (like the gates that separate Kenobi, Jinn and Maul in TPM), and others only block high-yield weapons, allowing organics to pass through them.

In TCW movie, they had to hide under the box so that they could get past the droids and tanks unnoticed since they didn't have time to go around them before the Republic cannons would be under the shields and within the range of the enemy.

2) The shield may have been outside the range of the cannon.

13. AhsokaMiro

Apr 21, 2008
    That reminds me... Tom Kane saide "Ay-la Secura" last week and "Eye-la Secura" this week. Kind of weird. And which one is "right"? I don't recall anyone in either episode addressing her by her first name, just the narrator.

14. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    if that's a holoprojector, it's a HUGE one. Check out the ramp for scale. And Dooku's hologram wasn't life-size, the projector was in the hands of a battle droid and the image was pint-sized.

15. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    1. I haven't read this visual guide, but I've never seen this incinerating effect of ray shields anywhere else. In the Clone Wars movie itself we see Rex and Cody sitting calmly as the shield passes through them. Anakin and Ahsoka hid under the box to hide from the droid army, not to protect themselves from the shield.
    2. You have a point there. And I have two explanations for that. First, Lok Durd doesn't strike me as a very clever general, he could not have realized that though the shield deflects the shockwave, it would not deflect the warhead itself. Second, and this is what I believe, in both instances where we saw the weapon being used, it was fired NEAR the target, not ON it. We can assume that this is how it is supposed to be used. The weapon must hit the ground and have some breathing space to build up the shockwave before reaching the actual target, otherwise it may be innefectual. Remember that Lok was not trying to win a battle here, he wanted to test his weapon, and to conduct a proper test the weapon should be used in the appropriate conditions.
    3. Ditto.

16. JEDI_MADDEN

JEDI_MADDEN Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2008
    Attack of the Clones Visual Guide page 38: Outfitted in their extraordinary gear, clone troopers can withstand hails of deadly projectiles or explosive blasts with impunity. They are also able to march through deflector shield barriers that would incinerate even a shocktrooper.

Note: The same page of the guide describes shocktrooper Mandalorian supercommandos ie. Jango Fett style armor.

In TCW movie Cody and Rex have no fear of Ray Shields due to their armor. I don't think Obi-Wan ducking behind the wall was coincidental.

Regardless, I have to just get used to GL artistic license. It is his show so he can make ships go into hyperspace within atmo and make Greedo shoot first as well.[face_thinking]

17. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    Bleh. I thought this one sucked, especially in light of the last episode.

I think it suffered from that lack of balance between space/aerial battle and planetside stuff.

The older Lurmen looked like a stick in the mud and others have already made the point about refusing to fight droids.

18. AhsokaMiro

Apr 21, 2008
    You're right, of course. When Durd first contacted Dooku, he looked kind of big because of the way the shot was framed, but now I remember the droid shutting the transmission down in his claw.

So yeah, what is that thing?

19. MvG-88

MvG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    Overall it seemed to me like they pulled a lot out of SWGBF for this episode, like the walls out of nowhere and the squads advancing towards the shield.

Speaking of the shield, I thought that was how gungan shields look..

20. boletus

boletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    Having recorded the ep, I looked through it frame by frame during the scenes at the ship/inside the compound. Though it isn't shown from afar, like this shot here that I can see, it looks like the security point where the three droids were stationed. During the infiltration you can see them sitting on it next to the screen and Anakin and the clones come up from behind and take them out one at a time. You can clearly make out the design, though it's from a different angle and occupied at the time, unlike this picture.

EDIT - Did anyone else notice that Ahsoka's lightsaber blade cast a shadow on the wall when she took out the two droids off screen? That's SW physics for ya!

21. Andersonian

Andersonian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2009
    Yes, it's even mentioned in the episode guide on StarWars.com:

http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/guide/episode014.html

22. JediCow

JediCow Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    I've never understood the, "lightsabers shouldn't cast shadows," argument. A lightsaber may be a beam of energy, but it's still opaque. Opaque things cast shadows. The way I see it, the only time a lightsaber shouldn't cast a shadow is when the saber is very close to the object it would be casting on, and in this case the light emitted from the saber would overpower the light source causing the shadow. Anybody care to set me straight on this one?

EDIT- looks like somebody beat me to it...

23. boletus

boletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    I understand that opaque things could still cast a shadow, but I thought the light from the lightsaber (especially in the dimly lit compound) would not allow for that. Oh well, I'm happy they addressed it in the episode guide, I haven't gotten to check it out this week. [face_worried]

24. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    You can see shadows from lightsabers in the OT. :p

25. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    So matte lines are canon too...? [face_whistling]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.