main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 114: Defenders of Peace Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    The shadows weren't matte lines.

And from what I know, the saber/shadow thing is pretty simple. If the light emitted by the saber has more intensity than the surrounding light when it all reaches the shadow receiving object, the saber won't cast a shadow. If, on the other hand, the light has less intensity, it will cast a shadow.

Given that it seems the decay rate for lightsaber emitted light is pretty strong (the beam itself is very bright, but even objects only a foot away tend to only be slightly illuminated by it), the only times it won't cast a shadow are 1) when very close to the shadow receiving object, and 2) when the saber is the only source of light in the room.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, this makes perfect sense. =D=

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well played, but this is exactly why I never really stop to think about the physics of the GFFA. 8-}

Think about how many times the Jedi have crash-landed. Normal people would parachute out before it hits the ground, but apparently the Jedi have very good seatbelts. [face_clown]

4. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Gran senators... :_|

5. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005

Given that the first season has been finished for almost 2 years now (I believe someone said they have 2 seasons under their belt already and are close to finishing the third), these stories were written long before we saw them. The evolution of the character was obviously part of the series.

I'm sure Dave and the other writers were chuckling at the negative comments regarding Ahsoka, just biding their time until the doubters were proven too hasty in their judgements ;)

6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    No, it didn't turn anyone off, it actually turned a lot of people ON, don't spew nonsense and expect nobody to call you on it. The Phantom Menace was the most popular of the prequel trilogy by tickets sold, and any way you slice it, the declines were the best, the CinemaScore rating was excellent, audiences loved the film. It opened up a huge additional fan base for the Saga in general. And it was absolutely necessary, just because some jaded fanboys would have preferred the prequels to be all "Darth Vader running around killing everyone" as Lucas said, doesn't make that a good idea. It would have made no sense whatsoever to have all 3 movies be with Anakin at the same age, no setup whatsoever for his eventual downfall, no seeing him as an innocent, full-of-potential boy, no origins stories, that's just stupid. If you can't see the brilliant foreshadowing and necessary story elements setup by TPM I really feel sorry for you.

As great as Clone Wars the cartoon series is, it's filling in stuff that is peripheral to the primary story arc.

7. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    Actually it was so loathed that someone felt the need to release an edited version.

...and I feel sorry for anyone that actually likes that movie.

8. Dunedain1

Dunedain1 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    This was kind of a strange episode. We have these Lurmen, most of whom are apparently insane, who'd rather sit around and watch their families be slaughtered than even try to fight. A real bunch of nuts. Fortunately for them, the Jedi were able to organize a defense and get some of them to fight. :)

9. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I just don't get why they had the CIS use droids against the Lurmen. If the CIS had used an army of sentients their refusal to kill would have been more understandable.

10. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    You have a lot of people to feel sorry for, then - including me. I thank you for you condescension and pity. It's my favourite of the prequels, if anything it's full of promise that was never fulfilled in the next two.

11. Andersonian

Andersonian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2009
    I keep hearing people say this, but I think it comes from a misunderstanding of the Lurmen philosophy and pacifism in general.

The Lurmen are definitely concerned about killing, but that isn't the only thing they are concerned about. The Lurmen don't want to get drawn into armed conflict, because then they will be forced take a side and get caught up in a cycle of retribution and death.

Tee Wat Ka seems to hope by not putting up any sort of resistance to the CIS he will be able to minimize not only deaths on the enemies side, but also on his side. From his view if they were to fight, then many Lurmen would be killed in the process and then they would also suffer retribution in which even more Lurmen would die. On top of that he wants to avoid a slippery slope in which his people get a taste for warfare and then want to use that as a solution for all their problems.

Plus it's Tradition, and Traditions don't always make sense.

Naturally there are obvious flaws with his philosophy that are the focus of the episode, but "they're just droids" isn't really one of them.

12. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    That's a fair point.

13. Hogne

Hogne Jedi Master star 1

Sep 21, 2004

Another episode that was worthwhile. I liked it.

However, I don't like this continuing portrayal of the Seperatists as Evil (tm). Sure, the Nemoidians were bastards in Ep 1, but my impression of the Clone Wars was that the seperatists wanted a life outside of the Republic. They weren't evil oppressors.

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I really enjoyed this episode minus a couple nit picky items.

I liked that Lurmen stuck to their beliefs for as long as they could, and the Jedi didn't force a more violent approach on them.

The Battle Droid cheer that rose when Lok Durd announced that he had a weapon that would kill organics but not driods was priceless. The shield generators were very mouse droidish, kinda cool. The Seperatist Alliance mention was neat and I liked their portable fortrss deal they set up.

Wag-To and the Lurmen were still fun, still not sure about their accents. And really Aayla, with Anakin recovered, had no real place in the story. I would have liked her to have a more prominate role like she did last episode. She could have saved the day instead of Anakin, or with Anakin, or something. *shrugs* I just wanted a bit more for her from the conclusion of her first story.

Yay for the CTV for finally catching up on these. I'll be as far as the ret of you in a few weeks;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.