main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 115: Trespass Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    According to Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial, the Yuuzhan Vong scouting mission in 29 BBY picked up some Talz for experimentation. That could mix things up a bit.

2. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Finally saw it all the way through. Pretty good... some strong images, especially towards the end. And it was interesting to see the Jedi in a new role. Great animation and, as always, wonderful use of color and composition. We're getting spoiled on those two counts... a weekly show with a strong, different design concept almost every time out is an impressive thing.

That said, I agree with everyone else who expressed frustration with the Chairman's one-dimensionality. I think the only real explanation is that the guy was losing it, in some real state of mental decay. I simply can't believe the Pantorans would have such a blatant wingnut as their leader for, apparently, decades. I might buy it if they were portrayed as megalomaniacal as a species, but the other two Pantorans with dialogue seem quite reasonable. Maybe that's why Cho's off his moon worrying about the ice planet... the Pantoran government was all, "Uh oh, Cho's losing it... let's ship him off to the iceball where he can't do any harm, and tell him it's vitally important!"

The episode notably came alive when he was offscreen, unconscious, or dead. I liked his voice, though...

The Talz looked a little bit like they were carved out of a chunck of plastic, but I guess if they were too realistically furry it just wouldn't jibe with Obi-Wan's beard.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    A one-dimensional character in an animated 22-minute Star Wars show does not concern me.

Finding that ship does. Or something to that extent.

Was it noticeable? Yeah, pretty much.

But it's like me being aggravated about the misinterpretation of "pacifism" in the JC/DOP duology: you can't expect super-deep characterization and philosophy in a show like this, and if you dwell down that dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. [face_shame_on_you]

4. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    It's so friggen cool to see that my "Son of Suns" question kicked off what came to be Pablo's SW.com posting!

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Pablo_Hidalgo_Debunks_Son_Of_Suns_Myth_120884.asp

The internet works!!!

5. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

This may have already been said, but I've have to say it anyway - That was some awesome Wild West action in "Trespass".

The wronged natives, the technically "superior" invaders - right down to circling the "wagons".

Fantastic.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Watched the re-airing on Friday... and still want to throw something at him every time Cho opens his mouth. I think in all of SW (movies, novels, comics, TV shows) he's the one who most elicits that reaction from me. Drives me insane.

Still a good episode despite that, though.

7. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I liked Cho, in character Yu love to hate way.

He was like the boo-hiss guys in a lot of old westerns, trying to start a fight between the settlers and the natives.

8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I liked this episode well enough but did feel it was on the weak side plot wise compared to many. For me it revolves around the one dimensional way Chairman Cho was, he just didn't strike me as very realistic. He needed more development to make the whole episode work better.

I liked the Talz, cool stuff, minor canon retconning explanations aside. And I liked that they rode on beasts, gonna make a cool toy in the near future.

"R2 is cold and wants to go inside" had me lol'ing. Way to be 3-So:p

The "Convention of Civilized Systems" was a cool tidbit as well, though it again might be a can'o'worms canon wise, I duuno. I still liked the inclusion of this Old Republic law, sounded cool:D

All this was missing was R2 with ski's, that would have been sweet!

9. JamesArnoldTaylor

JamesArnoldTaylor Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2009
    (double post)

10. JamesArnoldTaylor

JamesArnoldTaylor Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2009
    Very sorry to hear you dislike my voice so much. The voice is not intended to be an exact voice match for Ewan McGregor's but a culmination of the various embodiments of Obi-Wan and that our extremely talented Director Dave Filoni, along with Mr. Lucas have a certain direction for the Clone Wars which is unlike the other films. It's a telling a very specific story at a very specific time in Obi-Wan and Anakin's lives. The direction has been to keep him very straight and matter of fact. If my acting is portraying him in a "sarcastic" tone to you again, my apologies but it is again his role in the story of "The Clone Wars" to be the straight man and the leader of many including Anakin. Now, if you just simply do not like me as an actor that is totally different and there's probably not a whole lot I can do about that but to ask you to remember that all actors have fans and detractors and saying that you love or hate someone always has a chance of getting back to them and possibly coming off as either helpful or simply hurtful. To use words such as "hate" is some what strong and I would just ask you to put yourself in the shoes of the person you're insulting and see if you would indeed enjoy it yourself. I don't believe these boards are intended to insult people involved in the Star Wars universe but should be used more for "critique" rather than just insults based solely on opinion. Either way, "May the Force be with you!"
    Best,
    James

11. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Squeal! James Arnold Taylor is posting! *faints*

Ok, enough of me acting like a star-struck ten year old girl.

For what it's worth, I thought your Obi-Wan was great in Trespass and Innocents of Ryloth. Something seemed "off" about the character in the theatrical movie and towards the beginning of the season. I can't tell if it was because of the writing, or if it was because of the vocal performance...but I've definitely digged the last few Obi-Wan centered episodes.

12. Ulic QelDroma

Ulic QelDroma Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 1999
    I'd agree with this too!

13. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Coolies, James Arnold Taylor! Who plays two of my favourite Star Wars characters: Pantoran Assembly Representative and Tae Boon! And the grammar and content surely seems far too rational to be a troll when you think about all the stuff that goes on in these boards. XD

I'm digging Obi-Wan myself, though it's been noted that he could do with a little more inflection in the voice as he does sound a tad sarcastic most of the time. I thought you did do great on his character pieces in 'Innocents' and 'Trespass', though.
    I agree it's also due to some storytelling limits as Obi-Wan is seldom featured in a capacity which lets him show more than his straight-man qualities. The two episodes mentioned by Vlad were ones where Obi-Wan did more than correct and advise the characters. Either way, I'm loving the work done on The Clone Wars on most every front. Well, except for hoping any and all future Jar Jar appearances are done by Ahmed Best. :D

Also, for those who cannot tell the obvious from my name, I totally dig Plo Koon and hope for more appearances by him. I dig what you've done with him in Lightsaber Duels and hope the voice acting for him in future episodes proves superb. Right. Enough of that. Quite off-topic. Thanks. You rock. Bye. XD

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

He has been played very straight and matter of fact, which is pretty much the character's role, <sigh>, so the voice acting is spot on as far I'm concerned. So far. I hope we get more of the snarky, humorous side of Obi-Wan coming up in future episodes, (think "oh, it's you" and "I didn't say anything" from ROTS). I[face_love] snarky Obi-Wan - that's why I love the character so much. He's a bit more than a straight man, even if that's his main purpose.

Heck, I just hope we get more Obi-Wan. I understand he's not meant to be the main character :_| , but he hasn't had a lot of screen time, if you don't count the brief appearances to give orders.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    There was a couple of great lines in The Gungan General as well, IIRC.

16. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Be that the real JAT or not, he should know that there's a lot of love for the voice cast of TCW out there. I think his Obi-Wan is great, and my kids just love the "voice actors" BTS featurette on the movie DVD... they'll watch it over and over again and crack up over JAT's in-character improvs every time.

17. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    Well, i don't see any problem with Obi's voice, it's absolutely perfect for me.
    I would not expect it to be a copy of Ewan's voice, as the live action show and cartoons are created within different artistic conventiones.
    The cartoon characters are based on schematisation, even their appearence is more stylish than realistic, so I understand that dub acting must sometimes even slightly over-emphasize the personal mannerisms of a given fictional characters.

The most important factor for me is that this voice is coherent with general strategy of portraying character in this show -with his looks, his gestures, face expressions, dialogue content, behaviour etc. On this level I think it works very well.

I only hope that guy won't get discouraged by some critical - with no offence, with all due respect and friednly feelings - nerd comments and will continue to do his job. The series is just great!
    And besides, as I guess, word "hate" should be read as a figure of speech in such contexts, just a hyperbolic exagerration, and not as a direct insult to the real person. :)

PS.: And YES, I want MORE Obi1 in season 2!!! :)

18. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I don't believe these boards are intended to insult people involved in the Star Wars universe but should be used more for "critique" rather than just insults based solely on opinion. Either way, "May the Force be with you!"
    Best,
    James

Welcome to the boards James.:) I for one think that your voice work has been right on, but I'm also pretty sure that Bly's intent was not to personally put you down, though I agree it was poorly worded. On the flip side I want to let you know that there has been a ton of very positive replies in reguards to your voice work in these threads and we would love to hear more from you. Feel free to stop in anytime you like.[face_peace] [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.