main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 115: Trespass Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MvG-88

MvG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    Yeah you're right, it's good that they establish Obi as "The Negotiator", first time I saw RotS that line made me feel as if I was missing something. Anyway, my point was not to bring in a new Jedi, rather one that has already been introduced that is Kit, Plo or Luminara. But like you were saying, I guess there was a need to have both Obi and Ani there.

When I think about it, even if the chairmans one sidedness annoyed me, it was a much needed addition after last weeks episode. I'm still not content that they basically said "hey kids, pacifism is for old people". But the fact that the chairman was pro-war/violence till the bitter end and ended up "loosing" kind of makes up for that.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No, it's actually 1989. Troy Denning has been contributing Star Wars content since the '80s, strange as that may seem.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That episode was great. =D=

(If there's any continuity mess then, I give a sad face, but the ep was still good)

Why can't TCW always be like that, eh?

4. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003

It wasn't on Endor but on Naboo at the end of Ep I. The original sound was recorded for the Special Edition celebration scenes and then reused for the victory parade in Ep I, which is why the same thing can be heard. The original sound is nothing like 'Son of the Suns' - it's only when it's mixed in with the rest of the cheering that it becomes less clear and starts to sound like other words.

Huttese is spoken by many of the alien species in SW so it entirely possible that it would be heard in those locations. Also, the meaning of the phrase spoken (which was something like "Zhe sha ta gha sha" I recall from when Pablo explained it before) is probably a general expression concerned with victory over oppression. And since that is what had happened in those scenes in ROTJ and TPM, it's possible that the same thing would be said both times by a Huttese speaker.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

As Fenn mentioned above- 89 is correct. A lot of notable EU authors, like Zahn and Denning, have been contributing to SW ever since the West End Games RPG sourcebooks defined much of the SW universe back in the late 80's- they just went on to use their early work as reference when writing their novels years later.

In this case, Alzoc III first appeared in Galaxy Guide 4: Aliens Races, first published in June 1989, written by Denning

6. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Or a non-Huttese speaker using a common Huttese phrase whose meaining is widely known. We do this all the time, n'est-ce pas? Veni vidi vici, hasta la vista, and all that?

7. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Fair enough :) I thought the WEG stuff had started a little later than that.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It was pretty much the start of the modern EU- between WEG establishing the "rules" of the SW universe in the late 80's and Sue starting to keep a timeline to track the book and comic releases in the early 90's, the multimedia continuity policy that became the EU was born.

9. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Anyone else find it odd that C-3PO called Anakin "Master Ani"? I'd never heard that from him before.

Also, did I catch someone making a "live long and prosper" hand in this ep? Or maybe it was something I saw on the Batman cartoon and I got my wires crossed...

10. Strika23

Strika23 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Great episode!! Definately on the top of my list for season 1 so far.
    Animation was great!! Story was really well put together.
    My only concern is..how did obi wan know that this mysterious race of people were called the "talz" right off the bat?
    I doubt he found that out without C3P0 who wasnt present when he first called them the talz.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Chalk it up to vaguely knowing something about them from Foul, perhaps?

12. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    It's pretty clearly "Son of the Suns" if you ask me, it's been posted online, isolated, and it's really easy to hear and really clear. Also on DVD you can hear that too, it's not like it's some sort of stretch. I think it's first off much cooler that it IS Son of the Suns, but also all of the times I was skeptical and thought, no, then I heard it over and over and it's impossible to hear anything else.

When someone says something was "debunked," that doesn't make it so. I mean, Lucas himself could tell me that it wasn't intended to be that way until he's blue in the face, but I'd say it IS that way, so it doesn't matter what anyone says it matters actually what is in the film itself, intended or not. That's how film criticism works as well. It's not all about what was intended, sometimes cool things happen unintentionally.

13. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I finally got to see it online...and leave it up to Clone Wars to remind me of winter here.:rolleyes: :p

This was an excellent episode, it had the tension and suspense that I enjoy in a dramatic series, I wasn't quite sure what was going to happen with the Talz: Would they be destroyed by the Pantorians(forgive if the spelling is not correct) or would peace be negoiated in time? The chairman was unyielding, even in the face of what the Jedi and his senator were telling him and still wouldn't budge...and he paid the price for his arrogance.

And it was nice to see C-3PO do what he was programmed to do, it made him feel pivotal to the episode, although at the end it seemed the Talz understood what the senator had said without translation, I wonder if he understood a little basic or if he was able to pick up on the gestures. And how did Anakin and Obi-Wan find out their names?(I guess telepathy, although that would make C-3PO seem redunant.:confused: I don't know, I may have missed something.)

The snow speeders were great, although I don't understand why they weren't able to cross that chasm...they ride off the ground you figured they would be able to go over a ravine...hmmm, I probably missed something there as well, like maybe needing a landmass to glide over for some kind of polarity thing...[face_thinking]

Anyway, I hope they have more episodes like this one in the future. Oh, and did I mention...no Ahsoka!:D

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I thought about that too, and I think it is because of how their repulsor lift technology works, versus the repulsors on larger ships that use them to take off. I think that for vehicles like these speeders, as well as a landspeeder like Luke had in ANH, there is a maximum distance from the ground that they can hover... that they kind of "push against" the ground below them as they move forward. Still, it kind of seems like momentum could carry them across a short space where the ground isn't close enough, but maybe that ravine was a little too wide.

15. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I'll be brief. Or at least try.

Talz = awesome.
    Animation = stunning. Just keeps getting better. The colors were simply mesmerizing.
    Action = great.
    Rex = Pure B.A. I get it now.
    Obi-wan = finally showed a little personality. Just a little, though. Not enough to give me hope.
    Anakin = good.
    3P0 = good use for him.
    Costumes = good, except they should have made Anakin's another color other than Han Solo's from ESB. That was really distracting, and like they were trying to hard to say "hey, we're cool like ESB!"

The first half of the episode was tense and mysterious. I like the investigation into what happened aspect and the fact that something had taken out both Republic and Sep forces. I also liked that we had an episode that stepped back from the Clone Wars to give the series a different beat. I think this episode proves they can do non Clone Wars TCW episodes that happen to be set during that time period.

The second half of the episode wavered a bit for me. It was a little two easier for the Senator to get out of the jam. The President of her people was a little two aggressive and though they set up for it in the first 1/2, I still didn't buy it entirely. And I felt like the ending got way to preaching and made Obi-wan a voice for a message that didn't ring true because of the only 22 minute air time.

I think the one thing that would have changed that and made this episode something truly special is if they switched the genders of the two blue skinned leads and made the young female Senator a boy and the older male President a girl. It would have been so much less cliche that way.

Oh well... onto next week, which looks cool. More Obi-wan and Anakin action. On Coruscant! Where's Ahsoka, though?? Not that I mind. Hehe.

So much for being brief!

By the way, if you are not watching Battlestar Galactica on Friday nights after TCW... I feel sorry for you. :p

16. Cyclone

Cyclone Jedi Master star 1

Apr 29, 1999
    Sorry, but I found the "Chairman" to be very sterotypical and over the top. Greedy, Power Hungry, Unbending and Intolerant. He was more of a Caricature than a Character. I wish that they would have given him some vested reason to want to keep the snowball of a planet other than his "it ours, ours, ours!, now prepare to fight!" tirades. If that was truly his character, and he was a long time leader of his people, then his reaction would definately not be a surprise to the Jedi, or that young Senator.

I loved the Atmosphere and the art of this episode. But the story was weak.

P.S. Can't wait for those speeder toys to hit the shelves. They looked great, uhm, for my kids ya know. ;)

17. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    There people like that everywhere, just look at the US Senate.

18. Cyclone

Cyclone Jedi Master star 1

Apr 29, 1999
    No, even our Senators play it off more political than that guy did.

Oh, and am I the only one who wonders why Clone Armour can't stop pointy sticks and spears? No wonder the Ewoks won.

19. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    ,,No, even our Senators play it off more political than that guy did.,,
    He should pretend too play along and when the jedi are gone destroy them with some pantooran commandos.

20. Andersonian

Andersonian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2009
    Well something like "Son of Suns" isn't really open to interpretation like other things like "what is the theme of this movie?" or "is this movie any good?" Either they said "Son of Suns" or they didn't.

For example Leia is wearing a White Dress at the beginning of episode three. That's an objective fact, you can't really argue that.

Something like why Leia's Theme was playing when Obi Wan died IS open to debate because that's one of those nebulous things, in this case John Williams and Geroge Lucas' intentions. (Or even if there were any intentions.)

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, as has happened before, I'm liking this episode more now looking back on it and giving it more time to "sink in". It's still not one of my top 5, but I do like it more now than I did originally. This series really is :cool:.

22. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    I agree 100%. I think it would have helped a little if they made the chairman a chairwoman and the senator a young boy instead of reusing the Padme sculpt.

23. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    Amazing episode. I really liked that they showed Obi-Wan and Anakin being a team and friends, without resorting to constant witty banter.

For the people who were wondering where Ahsoka was, she was proably with Yularen. Wouldn't be too hard for Anakin to leave her on the ship with him.

24. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Agree about the friends thing, wish Obi-wan wasn't so preachy at the end. His is starting to come across as holier-than-thou... where's the fun Obi-wan we all know and love? There's room for both. Ewan McGregor... paging Ewan McGregor.

Don't need an answer in the show, just curious is all.

25. Hyoma

Hyoma Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008
    This episode was awesome. I loved the Talz and their warrior -yet peacefull- nature (i saw it as a nice contrast to their somewhat "cute" look, lol). The animation was great in the action sequences, particularly the "last stand" on the ravine. Go Rex!

I agree with the other posters who said the the Chairman was a bit "average 2-dimensional cartoon baddy", but it didn't bother me, since i thought he was entertaining to watch.

The scenarios were brilliant: I absolutely loved the look of the planet (and how it was based on Ralph McQuarrie's Hoth drawings).

And I know that this has already been said, but, man, next week's episode looks great. A Clone traitor, weeeee!!!

Peace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.