main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 119: Storm Over Ryloth Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediUno3

JediUno3 Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2008
    Anyone else get a funny image in their head when they hear the words "Techno Union"? I see glowsticks & stuff like that lol

2. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I haven't seen the episode yet, but yet they managed to include a homage to an obscure maneuver in HttE. [face_mischief]

Judging by the trailers alone (and that's not really fair so please correct me if I'm wrong), the number of droid starfighters seems to be a bit on the small side compared to for example TPM. Also judging by the trailer, the 'impenetrable blockade' also looks a bit underwhelming compared to the Trade Federation blockade of Naboo in TPM (and that was in peacetime) with only a Lucrehulk-battleship and a handful of Munificent-class frigates. Of course, that could be because of budgetary concerns.

However, I'm really looking forward to watching this episode!:)

3. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Bad writing? Or maybe the escape pod was closer? OR maybe the bridge has escape pods?

Nah, I'm sticking with bad writing.

4. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Actually, Anakin matches up with the Anakin we see at the beginning of ROTS. It's only when he gets around Padme that he has moments of "intense distraction" and really, he doesn't get too dark until he has that vision that tells him Padme is going to die in ROTS.

5. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    I kind of agree about destroying a cruiser that way, because if it was so easy why wouldn't they do it more often, but at the same time when you do it you also lose your ship, too. Does the gain outweigh the cost?

6. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Yeah, that is true. But Anakin will also have some darker moments to forshadow what he will become.

7. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003

It seems likely that they would have escape pods near the bridge for the use of the ships' commanders. And as also mentioned it may be more likely that the enemy would try to shoot him down if they saw him escape in a fighter. Also, to get away in his fighter, wouldn't Anakin have had to have gone down to the hangar and open the doors, which may have made the ship more vulnerable and mean Anakin would've had to fly into their line of fire as he escaped. So using the escape pod was just less conspicuous all round.

The ship was damaged so maybe it was an acceptable loss given the time and cost of repairing it. It maybe would have been out of action for some time afterwards so Anakin took the decision to use the ship in that way there and then. Ordinarily they wouldn't be able to do that because it would mean losing a ship and maybe in battle they don't usually get the chance to retreat, plan another attack, evacuate the ship and decide to use it in that way. And then maybe other commanders aren't like Anakin and so wouldn't think of using such a tactic.

8. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Well, he's had a few so far, but overall I thought they were trying to show a more heroic and "good" side of Anakin. I hope when he does show his dark side, they do it in a unique and original way... something different than what we've seen so far.

And you sound like you have some knowledge about where they are going with him. "Anakin will also have some darker moments to forshadow what he will become." Why do you say that with such certainty?

9. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Exactly, the gain outweighed the cost in this case. Plus, I don't someone like Yularen would think like Anakin does. I mean crashing an expensive starship into another... that's a little reckless. ;)

10. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

11. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Darn, I was actually enjoying this Anakin. Wonder what the storylines will be that brings out this darkness.

12. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    He wanted Ahsoka to be responsible for him. He figured that by setting up a situation that 1) he suspected she'd be able to handle, and 2) would force her to be responsible for Anakin, it would help to regenerate her confidence.

It's consistent with what he said. And sounds like something Anakin would do.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    As someone on here once said, if they can clone Jangos, they can clone money.:p

14. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    I don't think she could have. But, furthermore, I don't think that's what the episode was implying.

Remember, Anakin said "it was a trap Snips. There was nothing you could do."

Her hesitating to follow orders didn't result in the destruction of the Redeemer. No one in the episode said that it did.

What it did do was result in her loosing more of her squad than she otherwise might have.

15. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Tell that to Dooku, who is the reason I now take money into account on this show. He told Grevious toward the start of the season not to needlessly destroy the battle droids because they are expensive.

16. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Honestly, Dooku's line has never made too much sense, other than as a way to rile Greivous. Why would you continue to use such ineffective troopers unless they were cheap?

I'm also betting the escape pod was more to give Ahsoka a direct hand in completing the mission. It's curious that it sort of depends on her attachment to Anakin motivating her as well.

Thought it was a fine episode. Nice moment with Ahsoka and the clones at the strategy table. I'm appreciating the animation and fleet stuff much more on subsequent viewings. Wat Tambor and Mar Tuuk were great, really loved how Tuuk's goggle thingy sorta complemented Wat's chest dial.

I agree with Gry that the setup for Ahsoka's initial loss was a bit too brief to have much impact, especially given that that story detail was well-spoiled beforehand. I guess the story overall was really more about her redemption than failure, tho, so I can overlook it.

17. O_C

O_C Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
    Couldn't, especially given the fact that she was massively outnumbered. What is more interesting is why no one on ANY of the 3 Venators launched interceptors. Really. That's just incompetence at it's finest. But given what they turn into..."No, I refuse to launch fighters, this station is invincible" Tarkin who's really that surprised?

Furthermore, a single Venator can stand up to a bombardment for minutes (if not hours in Ep3) by multiple sep frigates but goes down to a few fighters who carry a few missiles in an extremely short time span?

That doesn't make sense especially given the massive turbolaser on the sep frigates.

18. O_C

O_C Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
    Gotta wonder how expensive the ships are. Well, I'd love to see droid ramships in the Clone Wars.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Robot_ramship

19. Jedi_Shades

Jedi_Shades Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2007
    Overall I thought this was a decent episode, but I do have some complaints. The most obvious is that it is absolutely ridiculous to bring three capital ships into a system and launch one fighter squadron between all of them. What's more, that squadron was intended for attack. No commander would ever be stupid enough to leave his ships completely without fighter cover if he had any ships at all that he could launch. Second, I find it unlikely that impetuous, reckless, amazing-pilot Anakin Skywalker would not lead the attack in his starfighter, so leaving him on the bridge seemed a little at odds with his character. My third complaint is the ease with which the vulture droids destroy that Venator. It's like they don't even have shields! Pretty much the only way to explain that first battle is a republic commander who doesn't launch fighters and doesn't activate shields. I doubt any commanders are that suicidal.

Other than that, it seems to me that the Seperatist blockading fleet would have been a little larger, and probably the republic fleet would have been larger also. I can understand budget restraints, and they are trying to say that republic resources are stretched thin, but Obi-Wan and Windu together only merit three Acclimators? Seems awfully small scale to me.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It looked as if the vultures kamikazed the ship until the shields were compromised.

21. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    That's pretty much what I thought. It passed without comment, but I assumed that the kamikaze vulture droid tactic was unexpected and probably a totally new thing.

Filoni says in his commentary that the time spent on Ahsoka dealing with the loss of her squadron was increased in the editorial stages. So I'd guess that what was cut was more stuff before the initial attack, possibly explaining what the original plan was-- why it was a small fighter squadron against the blockade. The show's only 22 minutes, and there was more strategy than usual (or ever, really) in this episode, so the potential wack-ness of the initial attack isn't a big deal to me... pretty good balance of character and battle stuff.

22. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I had never heard of the "ramships" before in SW terms, but it certainly makes sense. Considering the cost of producing, crewing and staffing any ship of the line, one shot ramships seems like a relatively inexpensive way to break (literally) through a blockade.

Kinetic energy can be a real pain in the rear, can't it? [face_devil]

23. Dunedain1

Dunedain1 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    This was a good episode. :) The space battle above Ryloth and the back and forth strategy of the Republic and Separatist fleets was cool to see. :)

24. Celeste_Morne

Celeste_Morne Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2008
    [image=http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj305/Uruk-hai_Torch-bearer/SoRlolcat.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.