main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 121: Liberty On Ryloth Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Original, yes, but also respectful of what has been established before.

2. RoderulijKumar

RoderulijKumar Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2008
    I didn't watch the whole thing. It was okay, I guess. Can't wait for that Cad Bane dude; he looks awesome. Hope they don't just kill him off. [face_tired]

3. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Thought the Ryloth trilogy was okay. Kind of boring for me...

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Duros bounty hunters were always such huge weaklings in the KOTOR games.

Maybe he'll be the rare exception.

5. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I just hope Cad earns his "baddassery" that has already been bestowed upon him. It also worries me that LFL is hyping the heck out of him.

Hey, Quest or Garth, since this is the season finale, do you think you can toss up the thread a bit early. Seems to be some interest in discussing Cad and what not. Just an idea.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll probably post it up later tonight. I'll give TOS a couple more hours to post the news thing.

EDIT- Speak of the Pablo! ;)

7. Emperor_Gunray

Emperor_Gunray Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    I loved the Tactical Droid in this episode, I hope we see this particular one again, but I very much doubt that'll happen. I like that these droids actually seem to be good at their jobs, and that in all the episodes they appear in they seem to present a genuine threat.

I was surprised to see Wat Tambor captured at the end. The Dooku of this series is getting a little too arrogant for me, he constantly talks down to everyone who works for him. It might be nice to see somebody plotting to take him down, as he doesn't seem to treat any of the other Seperatist leaders with the least bit of respect these days.

8. RoderulijKumar

Dec 7, 2008
    Oh please oh please oh pleasseee live. ):

9. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    "Yep. This is the about worst job in the droid army.... and it just went into overtime." -- A battle droid cleaning the gutkurr pens.

The scene was even funnier when the droid did a whine after Obi Wan used the force to close the jail cell door.

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    What? No, that's what makes Dooku so cool. What part of "ruthless Sith Lord" doesn't figure in here? The fact that he reciprocates none of his followers' loyalty and betrays his closest associates without a seconds' hesitation makes him all the more convincing of a villain.

11. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    But that can make for a pretty boring villain.. Which the villains in the series so far have been pretty predictable, what with the 'black and white' treatment, and it doesn't look like that'll change. But who knows. Right now they're sticking to the tired old rules that villains have to be ruthless, violent, insane, ugly.. And the henchmen (droids) of course have to be bumbling idiots (expensive idiots no less).

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    But we've had Super Battle Droids, Commando Droids, Tactical Droids, and IG droids all be fairly badass this series.

13. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah, but they're not the 'main henchmen', for whatever reason. I actually don't mind the droids much, at least they're better comedy relief than Jar Jar. They do make the main villains look less threatening, and maybe that's what the writers wanted. Some clumsy humor during a show about war to lighten things up and show the bad guys in even more of a bad light. A way to push the whole moral thing, 'don't be a bad guy, kids, bad guys are dumb'.

14. RoderulijKumar

Dec 7, 2008
    Ugh. Hate that.
    I think a kids movie pretty much summed that up, Incredibles.
    "They will kill you if you give them the chance!" Bravo.

15. BandofClones

BandofClones Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2009
    I never really cared for Mace Windu until this episode. He always seemed to me to be this very severe, humorless, emotion-less Jedi stick-in-the-mud. But this episode redeemed him for me. Why? Because it finally showed that the clones are more than just cannon-fodder to him. It's about time. In fact, I ended up liking him quite a bit.

A good episode, although I think trying to draw a connection between the liberation of WWII France and the French Resistance was stretching it a bit. After all, the Allies were not an occupational force in France.

16. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Finally saw this, and... I'm not sure why so many people were disappointed. It was pretty good, I thought. The whole Ryloth arc was satisfying to me. Maybe that trailer had everyone expecting something more epic? What we got instead were three of the best character episodes of the season. That's at least as good.

A few things I haven't seen mentioned:

-final tally one the pronunciation of "Twi'Lek": I think. Two "Twy" (Anakin and Obi-Wan) to three "Twee" (a clone, Tambor, and, oddly, Obi-Wan again). Did I miss any? I guess the only thing we can definitively conclude is that there is no definitive pronunciation.

-Orn Free Ta remains one messed-up -looking Twi'Lek. I wish the Twi'Lek "extras" had included a few more vaguely like him, with the extra "lekku" and the weird ears... but I guess it would be incongruous to see fat guys among hardy resistance fighters living off the land.

-Otherwise I like the range of "types" among the extras. The little girl in the parade at the end had kinda weird eyes, though... I thought so when I saw her, decided it was just me, and then one of my kids said "That little girl had weird eyes", so there must be something to it.

-I think the arc actually could be cut together into a feature-type-thing fairly easily... it wouldn't play as a traditional three-act structure, but a little intercutting, particularly between bits of the end of part two and the beginning of part three, would make for a nice extended stretch of time spent on one campaign. The episodes see a little more "of one piece" than the Malevolence arc did, and the "climax" occurs at a more natural juncture in the story.

I found Mace to be very well-handled. We were obviously seeing one of the very most powerful and talented Jedi without anything being ridiculously over the top. I do sorta wish I'd been unspoiled for this, if only for the STAP-hopping sequence, and so that the capture of Tambor would have come as a surprise. I'm hopeless, though.

17. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I finally...finally got to see this! I wasn't disappointed! Action pretty much from start to finish and Mace was awesome!

Confusion though and maybe I'm missing something, but why did they need a plasma bridge? Couldn't they just fly across the chasm? The only thing I could think of is that the city maybe shielded or perhaps they could be scanned easier, I don't know.

Anyway, excellent sequences especially when Mace was taking the city, they just used the music for effect. And chicken walkers, how cool is that?:D The freedom fighter general well played, suspicious yet willing to work with the Republic to help free his people(unlike the Lurmen leader from 'Defenders of Peace').

I thought Wat Tambor gave in too easily, considering he wanted to wait until the last minute to leave, knowing the city was being overrun...and I liked how the tactical droid took his ship, very conniving for a droid.:p Oh well, when faced with what he was faced with, he didn't have a choice, although he should have left when Dooku told him to.[face_shame_on_you]

Great episode and now I'm going to catch the season finale shortly.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Teth in the film has the same problem. Why does the Republic need to walk up the side of a cliff? It would make more sense if the whole top of the cliff had been shielded, but they had already used the deflector shield plot device on Christophsis, so I guess they were trying to avoid deflector shield plot device overkill or something...

19. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    On Teth the excuse for the need to climb was that the gunships would have been vulnerable to artillery fire. It was safer for them to land and continue on foot/walker than to risk it all by going straight for the top. A similar thing happens in Ep2, when Mace orders the gunships to land so that the attack continues on foot/walker, because they were being shot down.

On Ryloth, though, the only excuse is that somehow they didn't have any airspeeders. The whole attack force consisted of walker. Go figure...

20. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    because it leads to cool visuals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.