main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 202: Cargo of Doom Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat Darksider

Pat Darksider Jedi Master star 4

Jun 11, 2000
    Ahsoka has some kind of sex appeal, but well I like women with big eyes and full lips.....in real life.

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Great to see you Henry! Anything you can elaborate on about the episodes?

We had some questions on what Heist and Cargo of Doom were like originally (as CoD originally was before HH in production order at least).

I think the agility argument is the best argument for sure. If you think back to TPM (Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan), AOTC (Mace) and ROTS (Obi-Wan), the Jedi remove their cloaks before a lightsaber battle.

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Agreed, Garth. :) Same goes for Darth Maul in TPM.
    Ahsoka is very quick, and to say agility is her best ability, then that's very true indeed.

4. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Well, I was ready to leave the clothes/armor thing alone, but with HGilroy and others going over it still after, I'll agree with GARTH_MAUL that the agility reason seems the more believable. Though I know this show's not one to try for the logical reasons behind everthing.

I don't think Ahsoka looks like some shameless slut. This is the Star Wars universe, and the way she's dressed is pretty harmless. Lots of girls dress like this. I just don't like it for this character.

I hope people chiming in and disagreeing with me will understand I'm just tired of so many female characters in television/movies being dressed and made-up in ways I consider cheap/sexist. I don't appreciate implying someone needs 'help' just by not liking this kind of thing and asking why some characters are depicted in a certain way when others aren't. I'm not trying to come off as some ranting nutcase just inventing things to be mad about.

That said, sorry if I made this an overblown, off-topic argument.. and I don't want to drag it any further here. Again, we have different opinions, so agree to disagree, and all that.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Oh, I at least think you've been fine, XCell. I just thought it might be worth its own thread on the subject.

Why is every comic book hero unbelievably muscular? Why do all the heroines have huge breasts?

6. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    ^Haha, that's a whole nother off-topic discussion.8-}

7. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I agree with you XCell. I never thought that Ahsoka was a slut, and her clothes may be inappropriate for her age; however, she's a young Jedi and agility (Like what Henry Gilroy said) is her best ability. According to the TCW visual guide, Ahsoka's outfit is a basic Togruta one. Her clothing may come from her Togrutan heritage, although it's not known.

In Cargo of Doom, she wore a pressurized tight jumpsuit, which fit her character great. In the preview for "Children of the Force," she will be wearing the same outfit again, but that's probably because Ahsoka and Anakin are going to Mustafar. Exposing too much skin isn't a good thing to do while on Mustafar. ;)

8. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I didn't say that anyone who didn't like Ahsoka's outfit needed help. Only those who see a kid in short clothes as a slut might need to take a good look at themselves.

9. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    Well, maybe I misunderstood, but that's the kind of thing I got out of it. Could have to do with the phrasing, 'sexualized object' and 'slut' aren't the same thing. But oh well, done topic..

So how about that Cad Bane? He's pretty cool isn't he?

10. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Why, yes he is! :cool:

11. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Why yes he is!

12. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    A hearty welcome back to TCW! I can't help but sorta take these episodes together, but as such, they really blew me away. Probably better than any single episode last season! I heard/saw references to Predator, Aliens, and just about every film in the saga, and got a chuckle out of each one. How perfect is it that the ultimate bad @*$ Rex even bumps his head?!

13. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Any clone bumping his head would be a nice touch. I don't know that it has to be Rex. However, cool homage to Jango.

14. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Well I decided to go look at the Season 2 preview we got after the season 1 finale Hostage Crisis and in the clip it is very obvious that Cad Bane is wearing Denal's helmet when Anakin kicks it off.

I know we all know Denal=Bane but a nice touch I found.

15. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Edit: Sorry.

16. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Please move the discussion of future episodes into the appropriate thread.

17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I've really enjoyed these first two episodes.

To put that statement in context, I am someone who:
    -Dislikes the prequels, and the direction they took the franchise into.
    -Sat alone in a movie theater, mostly embarrassed to have paid full price to see the TCW 'movie'.
    -Watched Season 1 of TCW out of morbid curiosity rather than any genuine enjoyment or interest.

There are a lot of things right about the last two episodes, but I think the one moment that hits the heart of it is this: I was actually amused by the battle droids. Ever since RotS, those things have been doing their darnedest to make Jar-Jar look like Chaplin. But all of a sudden they're delivering lines like they're actually real words they're thinking and then saying, like believable, REAL CHARACTERS! Suddenly they're awesome like Threepio in the OT.

I know some of you will say, "It's always been this way!" but to my Season 2 has made amazing improvements all around.
    Voice acting: The movie and S1 had a good number of really atrocious line readings. No more.
    Dialogue: This goes hand-in-hand with the acting, but I'm amazed at how natural the lines are in this season. The words fit in the characters' mouths; no more ridiculous words and syntax designed to sound all cute and 'StarWarsy'.
    Animation: Is it me, or are the faces more emotive than they used to be? Also, that zero-G fight was very cool.
    Music: I'd be lying if I said I don't long for more use of the JW motifs (especially the oft-neglected main theme - It's not just Luke's theme; it's great as an all-around action-adventure melody for the whole franchise!!!), but the style is there, and it really served the action scenes in particular quite well.

This applies to 202 in particular, but mostly to 201 as well: This is the first time where I got through a TCW episode without a single moment where I felt like the story was being dumbed-down to pander to the kiddies. Not that it felt like an 'adult' story; far from it. It just felt like what Star Wars is SUPPOSED to be: a straightforward adventure for kids of ALL ages.

Keep it up, TCW. After a decade of 'dark times', this franchise looks to be getting back on the right track (I'm actually enjoying it to the point of fantasizing about how awesome it would be if a few years down the line this same creative team took on an OT-era (and/or post-OT) show about Luke, Han, and Leia in the Rebellion)!

EDIT: I realize this post may seem to be ragging on the PT/TCW-S1 almost as much as it praises TCW-S2, but I think my distaste for what came before helps convey the depth of my appreciation of the new episodes.

18. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Yeah, the bar for battle droid humor has been raised a notch.

Personally, I believe the majority of droids should have unique personality, much like the droids of the OT.

It just gives the show that 'Star Warsy' feel and that's a good thing.

19. cwquest

cwquest Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    This last episode of CW has really won me over on the battle droids. From the start of the last season & the movie I have always been a bit dubious about them but over the course of the last season I found that they gradually annoyed me less and less up to the point of the last episode where i can now officially say - I LIKE THEM.

there, i said it and i cant take it back. B1 battle droids are cool, I even found myself hunting round google image search for a good battle droid picture to make myself a new desktop wallpaper this morning.

Roger, roger.

20. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I found myself laughing when i saw this bit. It's always fun to see a clone bump his head.

21. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Still, I do miss a good John Williams score. This music lacked in this episode, and some of the sound didn't quite fit a particular scene.

22. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    This is my only problem with TCW at the moment. The score just doesn't feel epic enough, and with the quality of TV soundtracks today I struggle to believe that it's because of the television production budget. It really needs more oomph behind it.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Indeed. However, I would like that they release a soundtrack of the series, because there are some musics that I like.

24. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I don't know, I like the music, especially Bane's themes and the holocron scene's music gave that whole sequence a surreal feel to it. The only real complaint I have is that apparently they had old scenes and then changed them later on and didn't sync them with the new ones, for instance during the torture scene, one clip shows Bane without his duster on and then the very next one he has it on...it didn't effect the episode as a whole really, but I did pick up on it.

25. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    While it's not John Williams music I liked some of the music in this episode such as the escape in the Shuttle and the music that starts kicking it around the time Anakin asks Bane what he wants and Bane tells him he needs the Holocron unlocked (while Ahsoka is being held in the airlock). Also in that part, there was some real nice facial emotion from Anakin and Ahsoka - stuff we didn't see of this quality in Season 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.