main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 205: Landing At Point Rain Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I have a question. What organization is Commander Jet's platoon from? They have the same desert scheme as the rest of the 212th, but they have different armour. Are they perhaps a special forces detachment?

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Okay, so I just watched the commentary video for this episode, and when Filoni is talking about Lucas giving them old WWII footage to watch, I noticed something interesting. In a lot of shots, the Geonosians bear a striking resemblance to the Japanese caricatures of WWII propaganda: they have squinty eyes and buck teeth that I don't remember from AotC. At around the 2:22 mark of the commentary vid, there's one shot in particular of a pair of Geonosian gunners that made me stop and think, "I've seen something like this before!"

3. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    Yeah, but Clone Wars and Star Wars in general are not based on modern warfare, they are based on WWII and flamethrowers are completely in keeping with WWII movies - e.g. a Bridge Too Far had flamethrowers used on Germans in a machine-gun nest.

4. cwquest

cwquest Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    absolutely, during WW2 flame throwers were used to clear out bunkers & tunnels, flame throwers were used extensively in vietnam for the same task. It makes sense that they would be the perfect weapon for clearing out a hive, i would have like them to stand outside and blast through the opening though as thats how it would be done in the "real world".

On a side note, I just found out that in cases where the flames would not reach the occupants of a bunker or tunnel network flame throwers are still really effective as they burn up the oxygen supply, thereby suffocating anyone lucky enough to not get burned alive.

as darth lars says, they are a horrific weapon, however I do think that if we ever found ourselves in a war against a species of hive based insects the governemt would take little issue with reinstating the use of them.

5. SoonerSean

SoonerSean Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2007
    Man I loved this episode. I've watched it 7 or 8 times. As a fan of WWII movies... it's neat to see little nods to some of those, i.e. the shot from The Longest Day included above.

I guess everyone has things they like or dislike... but I'm amazed to see people that don't like this episode. It had so much tension and action... just non-stop goodness from start to the ending that seemed to come way too quickly. And it had one of my favorite moments in the series... when Obi Wan prepares for his last stand. I also loved the bit with the clone saying it's a good thing the enemy can't aim and then WHAM the gunship is blasted.

Finally... I love the little touches like varying nose art on the gunships and little additions to clone helmets. Shows a nice attention to detail from the creators.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I really adore the WW2/Colonial Marines-type vibe the clone army has. Sure, it's hard to interrelate with previous clone wars EU and, of course, the clone becoming stormtroopers later on, but it's just so fun to watch WW2 IN SPACE that I can ignore that. :p

I sorely wish they'd just treat this version of the Clone Wars as a separate continuity where the Republic and Jedi win. Of course, they won't. :p

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Also on a side note if TCW team are to use only legal weaponry, or a sci-fi alternative, then surely white phospherous and napalm would be acceptable for use in the show, and this stuff is much worse than a flamethrower. White phospherous and napalm sticks to whatever it comes into contact with, the blinding pain is doubled by the corrosive adhesive that sticks to the skin and because of it's inaccurate nature causes the deaths of many innocent civilians and horrendous ammounts of collateral damage.

Also a mere bullet can cause more pain than you would like to think. In an anti-gun crime demonstration I witnessed as a kid a man shot a pig carcass (it was already dead in case you want to know) with a handgun. The bullet caused not only an enterance wound but managed to completely liquidise internal organs and fractured many bones. But because it is legal and used in the military I guess Trandoshions and their projectile guns are good for use in TCW.:rolleyes:

Also how many beings in Star Wars have been decapitated, disemboweled, had limbs amputated... heck how many beings have suffered horrendous injuries at the end of a lightsaber in Star Wars, possibly the most popular 'kids toy' on the market?

The fact remains that war itself is terrible, and Star Wars has been violent and not technically suitable for kids ever since 1977! TCW isn't anything new in those regards.

8. Dunedain1

Dunedain1 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    I like this episode, great battle on Geonosis. :) I don't see any problem with Anakin and Ahsoka having a friendly competition going on in the battle, they were just keeping track of the droids they had taken out. :) It's not like they were killing humans and then gloating about it.

I was surprised by a flamethrower suddenly being used, but it was on those ugly bug aliens, so it's ok. haha :)

I think we get a sense with Obi-Wan of just how grueling the war is becoming, even the Jedi get banged up on occasion on these missions, and there are so many battles being fought, sometimes one after the other. After awhile it begins to take it's toll. But I think most of all, Obi-Wan has seen so many good people die by this time that is starting to become disheartening, he wants to win this war and get it over with so the Republic can go back to peace. And with him being one of the leaders of the Republic's battle strategy and also a front line commander, the responsibility he has to bear on his shoulders and his frequent need to worry about Anakin (with his impulsive nature and tendency to dive head long into danger) is weighing on him. You'd have gray hair, too, if you had Anakin for a padawan! :)

9. legosithmaster525

legosithmaster525 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2010
    Okay, maybe it wasn't as bad as I made it out to seem in my thread, it was just frustrating for me. Though I will praise the effects and animation, as well as being possibly the largest battle yet. I hope we end up seeing more episodes with battles like this. :)

10. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    At this point, LAPR looks like a completely different show. :(

Ah, for the days of explosions and lighsabers and not tea and corruption.

11. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    So TCW had a few political episodes out of, what, 50 episode produced thus far? And fans begin crying in agony just because a few episodes looked at the political side of TCW. TCW was also about political corruption, and how a lot of worlds fell to the CIS's corruption. I don't see any trouble with this, and I think fans should just stop complaining, since now we're getting back into the action with Cad Bane and such.

12. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Dude, we're not complaining about politics. We're complaining about bad writing, predictable episodes without any kind of twist or surprise, completely void of tension and emotion, full of utterly boring stuff and lazy, cheap workarounds.

But we really shouldn't pollute this thread with that debate.

13. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    But as I said, it's only a few episodes out of a massive 50 for fans to enjoy. So we shouldn't dwell on the past and complain, just look forward to what TCW is going to bring (Nightsisters, Savage Oppress, Republic Commando/Saesee Tiin appearance).

14. legosithmaster525

legosithmaster525 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2010
    Alright, you guys know I'm no friend to this episode, but I saw a video of it, and it was just too epic. I mean, it bothered me for some reason, but there's something in it I can't stop watching. So, any fan of this episode (That's all of you guys) might enjoy this.

15. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Pretty awesome. It had almost every epic shot I could think of except for that long tracking one of the Y-Wings arriving.

16. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Great video. I did not think war could seem so beautiful.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Didn't like it. Good idea, but bad editing and bad quality.

18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.