main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 207: Legacy of Terror Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005

In all fairness, Palatine may have been referring to preserving true life, and not twisted life amongst the living dead.

Or he may have been lying. Manipulative villains aren't the most trustworthy guys. :p

I knew I was forgetting something! Thank you very much.

No. I never understood the appeal of zombies in the first place.

2. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    To a certain extent, yes. But a few questions raised based on promo material is fair... and may even lead to editorial decisions later on that take into account how the fans feel... since we are their bread and butter.

3. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Weren't there zombies/undead warriors in the first clone wars series, volume 2?

4. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Great point.

Can I just say that Luminara isn't all that engaging so far this season. She was much better paired up with Ahsoka than Anakin. She's more stiff and preachy now, as if used to serve a theme rather than naturally appearing as in Cloak of Darkness.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't mind zombies so long as they are handled well. I loved most of Death Troopers (other than the cop out of an ending) because the zombies felt like a palpable and extremely horrific threat. How they can make the transition to a cartoon kind of intruiges me.

The zombies can't be made scary through visceral violence otherwise we would need blood and guts flying everywhere, which isn't exactly friendly for the intended audience. So that means if Legacy of Terror is going to be a horror episode it's going to probably rely on tension building techniques, something that I infinitely prefer in horror films and support appearing in TCW from time to time.

6. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [image=http://i30.tinypic.com/bi5t1z.jpg]

Absolutely right. The family-friendly code for ST:TCW keeps the NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD material out,
    so the episode would get most of its "kicks" from characters wandering around haunted catacombs with zombies
    popping out of the shadows and getting promptly incinerated.

Not that I wouldn't mind seeing some lurching zombie trying to devour Rex. Can you picture it? Some idiotic
    undead thing trying to chew through clone armor, while Rex just shakes his head before blowing it away?

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Guys, please remember not to spam the thread with multiple posts, please edit your own post if there's time instead.

8. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    I would maybe agree with you about the family friendly code except SWTCW airs in primetime and has already featured bugs getting fire-bombed.

9. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    So zombies chowing down on their screaming, helpless prey spraying blood all over the place and noisely guzzling flesh is acceptable because of a scene that features a few man sized bugs getting fried? By the force I hope you don't call the exterminator next time you find a hornet nest in your attic. :p

10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'll try to put this lightly. While I am sure LFL is concerned about its fans I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for LFL, or more specifically Mr. Lucas, taking into account what the fans want.

All the talk in this forum about continuity and such, yeah thats Lucas specifically ignoring what a certain segment of the fandom would like. I just don't see how he would completely ignore one vocal segment of the fandom, only to take suggestions from yet another vocal segment of the fandom.

I guess weirder things have happened, but don't hold your breath.[face_whistling]

The best bet for appealing to the powers that be would be hoping someone the like of Jason Fry takes pity on us and includes some of these adjustments in a visual guide or something........which of course would make the changes straight EU, canon once removed in the mind of Mr. Lucas.:p

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Just pointing out that you missed that Poggle has a title as well. I'm assuming that's what you meant by unusual name.

12. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    No, no. My problem is not with the title. It's just the name Karina that is very normal and doesn't quite fit with the likes of "Poggle".
    It's a common name in English, German and Polish speaking countries. In greek Karina has the meaning of "pure" and in swedish of "dear, beloved one". Quite fitting for a queen of zombie bugs, eh?

13. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Just saw the episode. It was interesting to say the least. Kinda like a mix between Aliens and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

The zombies themselves were pretty cool looking, and for the first two thirds of the episode, it was very dark and intimidating. Then there was the third part, which I thought came off as unintentionally hilarious.

Karina the Great is basically the Queen from Aliens, except she can talk and comes off as rather ridiculous. The whole scene where they address the queen was such a different mood from the rest of the episode that I was laughing the whole time.
    "Where do you think the worm will go in?"
    "I don't think Luminara wants to find out."
    "Yes, I'd rather not, thank you!"
    "Do you think it'll be the nose or the ear?"
    "Does it matter!?"
    "Oh, it'll be the nose."
    [face_laugh]

If the hive sequence in Landing at point rain was an allusion to Aliens, then this episode was a straight up homage.
    They're coming out of the walls!

From a technical standpoint, this episode was stunning. This has got to be the best lighting work the series has done so far. The level of detail on the deadites was great, and the pitch black laced with blue blaster fire was just awesome. Also, the assembly area at the start of the episode was really cool looking, with all the gunships taking off and the transports and everything.

Bacta was referenced. I think thats the first time it was used outside of the EU IIRC.

Overall, a good episode. Not as much action as I would have liked, but the offbeat humor in the final third makes it hard for me to ding this episode too much.

Oh, and before I forget. Luminara's biker chick goggles. AWESOME!

14. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    reading Death Troopers was such a horrible experience for me because i had swine flu when i was reading it. :p

i really enjoyed the episode, they handled the zombies really well and i like the idea of the geonosian queen and the hive mind and the geonosian larvas embedded into people. it reminds me of Alien

15. Master_Fwiffo

Master_Fwiffo Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2001
    Man, Obi-Wan is such a dick.

The queen was kinda laughable, but she needed to be, given how creepy the Zom-bee's (See what I did there?) were. I was surprised they got away with this in a kids show. Again.

Lighting this episode was incredible. Major props.

2 weeks for the next episode? BOO! But on the other hand, more Bariss and Ashoka.

16. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Thoughts:

-I wish they wouldn't make Luminara seem so arrogant. She seemed very presumptuous, and fairly bossy at the very start.

-Very cool holo-gram animation!

-Anakin's hair is really badly done. It's so stiff that it looks like he just poured a vat of hairspray into it and combed it with his fingers.:p

-Nice Obi-Wan/Anakin interaction, @ about 7 minutes in. That did well in showing the contradictions between the two's personalities.

-I don't know. With all of the technology that they had, is it really likely that they're just realizing now that there's this giant underground cavern/tomb? How could there be no proof of the Geonosian queen?

-I love how Obi-Wan just ignores Luminara's advice. "Oh gee, we're being told to get back? Well, best keep moving forwards!" :p

-"You think with your lightsaber." [face_laugh]

-this isn't exactly going to help to establish diplomatic relations with the Geonosians.

Overall? This could have been a lot worse. I liked seeing Obi-Wan in action, and it was nice to see a break from Ahsoka (not too looking forwards to the next episode... [face_worried])

The plot felt fairly condensed, and it seemed like something that could have gone over better in a comic book ark, but still, I didn't think it was too bad. 77/100.

17. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Ah damn they killed off Buzz.

Overall the episode was pretty awesome. The ending was hilarious with the Obi-Wan and Anakin banter thrown in with Luminara not wanting to find out. Cody had some badass scenes near the end and if I didn't know better he could of been killed at the end being the last one up.

Now the next episode...so the worms get onto a Republic shuttle(probably holding Poggle) and starts to control the clones with Ahsoka and Barriss on it? Interesting.

EDIT: Another thing I liked was the consistency with the previous episodes. After destroying the weapons factory Rex and presumably Gree are stuck with the clean up. Ahsoka and Barriss go off to get some rest. Obi-Wan(and his troops) is just recovering from Landing at Point Rain and so is Ki-Adi, also mentioning his Galactic Marines were hit hard with losses.

18. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Despite there being less action in this episode, it was a lot more gruesome.

The zom-bees (I like the sound of that by the way man) where getting bolts to the skull, decapitated dismembered and just hacked to shreds. The clones were getting pulled down holes in the walls, and getting their necks snapped. It was pretty dark for a kids show.

19. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    This show is on a roll. I thought this was another great episode.

Very tense first two acts...and then it got a tad silly with the hive queen, but made up for it with some genuinely good humor and a cool escape sequence. Not quite as good as Point Rain and Weapons Factory, but still awesome. Next week's episode looks awesome too. Although it looks like it will mostly take place in space? I thought we were going to get four whole episodes on Geonosis.

20. LukeClone2

LukeClone2 Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Zombies, why'd it have to be Zombies?

I thought the episode was ok, but is this queen
    merely a queen of these zombies or of all Geonosians?
    That I don't understand...

Also, from the episode preview it looks like we are
    going to have a lot more of this Alien, Invasion
    of the Body Snatchers, Zombies kind of stuff... sigh and
    I thought Durge was a bad idea! I know this kind of
    thing is a motif found in almost all sci-fi series, but
    I was rather glad that it had not been in Star Wars
    yet... personally the whole idea of some creature
    controlling my mind indefinitely creeps the heck out of me.

I really, really hope that this sequence is finished up
    in the next episode. Halloween is over, let's get the
    zombie stuff over and done with too asap as it appears we're
    stuck with it for at least another week.

Personally, I'm looking forward to whenever we get to
    the plot line about Obi Wan and the Duchess and the
    Mandalorians, I say bring that on early and skip the
    zombie stories.

21. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    When I first heard about Geonosian zombies, I was thinking this should have been released during the week of Halloween or with the release of Deathtroopers. Thankfully, this wasn't as bad as that novel in terms of graphic violence. I barely managed to keep my dinner down while I was reading Deathtrooper. I don't see how I'll ever read that book again.

Having seen the episode, I can see what influenced this episode.

The Geonosian Queen - the Alien queen from Aliens.
    The "worms" - The eel creatures of Ceti Alpha V from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and those mind-control bugs from the short-lived Starship Troopers CGI animated series. Don't know about the nose, but entering through the ear was a definite reference to Star Trek II.

Here's a question - so far in the series, we've seen five Separatists leaders captured: Dooku, Gunray, Tambor, and Poggle in this series, and San Hill in the Clone Wars Cartoons several years ago. Yet we saw all of them in ROTS. We know how Dooku and Gunray escaped. But what about the other three? It seems that they're trying to introduce plot lines that aren't really necessary. Now if they were to explain how the other three escape in the series, then I have no further complaints?

22. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Okay... first off the return of Kenobi and Ki-Adi was good, I also liked the references to bacta tanks; it shows that even the Jedi need intensive medical care to heal their injuries and that they can't always just walk away from an intense battle.(and considering what they went through in Landing I was under the impression that's what they would need.)

Luminara...dang, was she on a personal vendetta or what? She almost reached Anakin's level of determination in going after him, even after Obi-Wan and Ki-Adi warned her of the danger involved. Although I have to admit, seeing her on a speeder bike was pretty cool.

The Queen Temple was really creepy and the zombies were hilarious![face_laugh] And what can I say, at one point I was expecting Sigourney Weaver to come out with her flamethrower in her throne room, her laying eggs and the wormlike projection from her body. She even growled like the Alien queen!:p And I say this alot, but I like Obi and Ani working together in any episode, but this one had all the moments and Kenobi's line about taking after Anakin and disobeying orders was funny. But man, I didn't know Obi-Wan could be so sadistic...I know it was part of his plan, but gods, poor Luminara!:p

Good episode, it had the appropriate suspenseful momnents especially with the clones trying to get out to make contact with Master Mundi but it certainly doesn't compare to the last two...I hope these 'worms' serve some further storytelling purpose(next episode looks downright creepy) beyond this arc, although I doubt it.

23. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    With Wat Tabor captured last season and now Poggle the Lesser with him in Republic custody, I wonder if there'll be an episode showing them getting freed.

I don't know if it was her outfit, but Luminara's butt really sticks out.

An enjoyable episode, I really likes these dark ones. Cool homage to Aliens.

24. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Maybe I am alone here, but I think this episode could have been improved if Slurms McKenzie had appeared at some point. Whammie wham-wham wozzle!

25. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    Good episode. They set the mood early with how they showed Luminara getting caught, then her little fight when she was in shackles. The environment was the best part, with the darkness and the bugs showing up and the clones being unable to kill them.

But definitely the best part was when Poggle is bringing the worm to Luminara and Anakin and Obi-Wan are arguing about what they should do about it and Luminara chiming in about not having anything to do with it and just save her already **** it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.