main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 208: Brain Invaders Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    ICQ, yes, that is in fact a reference to the 2D show. According to the episode guide on the official site...

Mace Windu's efforts on Dantooine and Kit Fisto's familiarity with Ord Cestus are two minor nods to the expanded universe -- namely, the first Clone Wars micro-series where Mace fights a droid army on the plains of Dantooine, and The Cestus Deception novel featuring Fisto. (However, their inclusion in this episode should not be construed as confirmation of how these EU events occur in relation to "Brain Invaders.")

2. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Agreed Wedge. The clone needed to die to set up tension. The Padawans freaked!

Good catch on the Genndy reference icq! They did mention he'd lost many men [face_laugh]

3. LukeClone2

LukeClone2 Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Wedgewalker,

Ah good point about killing the clone. On a related
    note: wouldn't Grievous have been so much more
    threatening if he had killed a jedi or two on screen
    in Episode III? I know that scene was cut, but still
    for those who didn't see the 2-D cartoon he didn't
    seem like that much of a threat... anywho,

ICQfreak,

Yes, you're right that probably was a reference to the 2D cartoon, yes
    Mace did fight a giant Separatist Super-Weapon all by
    himself on Dantooine, although I thought that particular battle
    would have been finished by now (because it supposedly
    took place before Anakin became a knight, which he already is
    at the start of this digital version of TCW, anyway a previous
    poster says there's some kind of disclaimer on the episode guide)...

that 2-D Mace episode was very cool although incredibly
    unrealistic (is it just me or does Mace seem like he should
    have a giant S on his clothes somewhere in those cartoons?).

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That's... debated. He was "killed" in a source book (The Illustrated Guide to AOTC) along with Saesee Tiin and Sora Bulq, who obviously didn't die. He's also appeared in a recent book based during the Clone Wars (Wild Space). While this is likely Agen, it's still possible he's Koth.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Huh, that episode turned out better than I had expected it to. Although I am glad this Geonosis arc is over with, and the preview for the next episode looks particularly awesome.

Nice creepy vibe, in some ways more scary than the Geonosis episode, since here its the clones they're fighting, rather zombie bugs. Although I'm somewhat surprised the clones were still mostly intelligent after being infected, it sounded like Karina was in charge of the hive mind, and even if she wasn't the only queen, they're light years away from Geonosis now. Although did the infected clones survive? Barriss did, but her worm was cut in half by Ahsoka, but from what Anakin said at the end, sounds like they survived too. Nice foreshadowing of Order 66 too, though I sometimes wonder if we would ever get more stories of clones being more deceptive to kill the Jedi rather than just the normal "receive Order 66, open fire!" we see in most EU stuff. Oh yeah, it was great to hear Ahsoka reference "The Hidden Enemy" episode, I'm glad when they call on their continuity. And its not like the girls just hacked and slashed all the clones. They killed a few, but all in self-defense and I think at very close range (not like how they were taking out droids and Geonosians left and right a few episodes ago). When they were in that cargo bay, I was actually expecting them to just fight their way through the entire crowd (I thought they could handle a dozen clones), but instead they fled to try and figure out what was going on, and to try and get the warning out.

I was happy to see the medical frigate used, I always like seeing more ships, especially something so different from the normal Jedi cruiser. While corridors mostly look the same, the mostly empty feel of the ship really helped with the horror style of the story, compared to the busy hangar bays or bridges of Star Destroyers we see. And ooh, tugs! And huh, maybe that was a reference to the first mini-series. Although yes, while in the old canon that happened before Anakin was Knighted, in this year... well, almost anything goes, the timeline is fluid, so its quite possible its the same battle. Mace's superpowers there wouldn't fit in with this series, but it is still canon (though the exact date is hard to determine right now). Most of the canon explanations/retcons I remember just write it off as being through the eyes of that kid or something like that.

Of course, the highlight of the episode was when Anakin "interrogated" Poggle, that was dark. And huh, the protocol droid had the Open Circle Armada symbol on its shoulder too, nice to see that symbol pop up again. Things continue to get darker, and the other Jedi don't catch, although they weren't there, but then, so much for a Master-Padawan Force link (Anakin and Obi-wan), although in this show Force senses have always been very weak, usually.

Huh, Bariss vs. Ahsoka was very interesting, looks like those worms can control a Jedi, Force powers and all. I almost wish Barriss had acted normal at first, before attacking, to make it scarier, but it was already terrifying for Ahsoka as it was. Although they're really hammering us with the "Anakin is very attached to people" theme this season. If it were once every few episodes, sure, but we just had a variation of this just two episodes ago! I like the Ahsoka and Barriss friendship, and I like Anakin, but wouldn't mind a bit of a shift in focus. And the funny positions those Padawans end up in. And what's so bad about Ahsoka being able to hold off Barriss? Ahsoka is a Padawan, Barriss is a Padawan, so they should be roughly near the same level, heck, considering how Anakin is, Ahsoka is probably much better at combat than a normal Padawan. Its not ridiculous like Ahsoka singlehandedly taking on Grievous or Ventress (those fights I didn't much care for), so Ahsoka handling Barriss seemed quite believable to me.

Pretty good episode, although I'm sad we won't be getting another new episode for a while. Didn't really like Kit Fisto's plan though, to bring the medical frigate i

6. Shadow555

Shadow555 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2005
    I have to say this episode was enjoyable. I loved it.

The way those worms just crawl up someone's nose and what happens to them is really creepy and defiantly added a bone chilling vibe to the episode. Ahsoka and Barris were great and that final scene where the two were fighting each other was creepy. I guess there is only one word to describe this episode and I think everyone knows what it is. Yup, that's right downright "creepy". Even though I haven't read Death Troopers I can tell I would be encountering the same things in that book. Who knows I might have to pick it up sometime and give it a read.

The next episode, now granted we have to wait till January 1st looks like it is going to be awesome! General Grievous is back with a vengeance! What a way to start 2010 huh? All I have to say is bring on the General!

Oh and one more thing that I thought was awesome was when Anakin used the Force to choke Poggle the Lesser. When I saw that I was shocked! Plus the way they put "Imperial March" into the score was really fitting. I was like "Dude, Anakin is Darth Vader already!" I just found that really awesome and really adds to Anakin's inner darkness and what will eventually lead to what happens to him in Revenge of the Sith.

7. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    The 2D series was a lot of fun. I really enjoy seeing them slip in sly references that may or may not be literal, depending on your point of view ;)

That particular ep was pretty standalone IIRC, so it could fit in anywhere if you please, so long as you don't take the overpowered issue too seriously. Maybe we just saw Mace's exaggerated re-telling[face_thinking]

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Ok, I really, really want to stress this:

It is not the clone being killed that is the issue. That is fine.

it is Ashoka's complete lack of an emotional reaction.

She wasn't the least bit sad, disturbed or even respectful about the death of someone that she had just described as a friend!

Ok, simple terms: her friend died, and she didn't care.

The lack of emotion is the point, not the death itself.

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I liked this episode, although it seemed like Anakin Force-choking Poggle to figure out how to stop the worms was somewhat too easy and convenient of a way to resolve the plot. I felt like they were setting this episode up to be much darker and more desperate. Maybe if all the clones ended up dying and Ahsoka had to take off Bariss's lightsaber arm to stop her....although the kid-friendliness would probably go out the window right there.

10. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    I completely agree with this too.

The only explanation I could think of is that they gotta keep moving, can't dwell on it too long and they needed to figure out more about the worms. It's just like in the middle of a battlefield, if someone goes down you can't just stop and check if he's okay, you gotta wait until the end.

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I really liked the Imperial Music playing as Anakin walked to interrogate Poggle. I was the best part of the episode.

Offee vs Tano, well I kinda felt like Ahsoka was honestly toying with her a little, not wanting to hurt her.

As to killing the Clone, it was an effective scene and I'm not concerned with Ahsoka's reaction. It was the Clone or them, and I reallt doubt Ahsoka was that tight with TK 2375869-4, or what ever his name was. It's not like it was Rex. I'm sure she felt bad but simply didn't have the time to think about it at that point. On top of that every other Clone is saved so thats gotta count for something.

Again, Vader'kin ruled.[face_skull]

12. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    Just an overall creepy episode. From the Zombie clones to Anakin's interrogation.

Everything about that whole scene just screamed Vader. From when he walked into the cell block with his hands behind his back to the epic force choke interrogation method. Maybe they might've been a little too heavy handed, but it was still awesome.

Also am I the only one who was thinking that when Order 66 happens Ahsoka and Anakin are going to be involved in a duel, or that at some point in the future Ahsoka will have a choice of either killing Anakin (either when he first turns or when he's in his suit) and her decision was set up in this episode. That whole discussion involved whether or not to kill someone you knew and "loved" if it would help save thousands just shouted a hard decision for her involving Anakin.

I've noticed that the staff for the show is very good at setting moods and atmospheres. While I really didn't think there was a chance for either Ahsoka or Barriss to die in this episode, there was always something niggling in the back of my mind that it could possibly happen.

Just an overall good episode that's probably the best episode of the series so far.

13. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    You know, it's funny--after Weapons Factory, I applauded the fact that the arcs in season 2 seem more "connected" and in tune with each other. Season one, of course, would have wildly varying styles between arcs (Defenders of the Peace seeming like it was made by an entirely different team than Jedi Crash, for example).

Looks like I was WAY off! Brain Invaders definitely did NOT seem like it should be grouped together with Landing at Point Rain. This story arc really went on a tangent.

I can't complain, though--I loved this episode. Tense, dark, exciting. I loved it when Barriss begged Ahsoka to kill her. Anakin's interrogation was awesome, but I wish it hadn't been spoiled by that Kotaku review a while back.

The musical score seemed much better than usual. I had thought that even before they used the Imperial March reference...it really added a lot to the episode.

14. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    This is the first time I'm going to say I prefer this series to the Genndy Tartakovsky series.

This episode really surprised me...the way they showed the worms entering the clone's mouths, Barriss being "infected", and of course the interrogation scene - Anakin Force choking a prisoner was something I'd been hoping to see for a long time, and I didn't think that they'd use the Imperial March if they ever did that. Now that they're showing Anakin going dark, hopefully they'll show the clones going a bit Imperial too...although there was a bit of Order 66 foreshadowing here already.

IMO, this episode was perfect.

15. isanpa

isanpa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2005
    Something that really creeped me out was when the clones captured Barriss and said "if there is one thing we clones know is how to stop a jedi"

16. Darthrevan4ever

Darthrevan4ever Jedi Master star 6

May 3, 2008
    really creeped me out was when the clones captured Barriss and said "if there is one thing we clones know is how to stop a jedi"

I really liked that line perfect edge toward order 66

17. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    The thing for me is, Barriss has so much more experience than Ahsoka. Based on EU material. I'm guessing that she's around Anakin's age, which means that she's had at least five or six more years of training than Ahsoka. Regardless of your opinion of her, logically it just seems unrealistic that Ahsoka would be able to beat her. I don't think that Ahsoka would have had more combat experience either -again, Barriss has had a lot more time to learn and to fight. It just seems sort of Sue-ish to me that Ahsoka could beat her that easily.

Agreed! That really surprised me -I wonder if it was a reference to Order 66. That was what I first thought, although it seems odd that Ahsoka would just forget hearing it. And if it was a reference, than the brain-worms must have made the clones start to get careless-wasn't that supposed to be a top-secret order that was never to be mentioned?

18. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    A good episode!=D= Better than I thought, even better than the last. This really had suspense, and some nice foreshadowing with Anakin and Order 66. I like how Ahsoka was put through this experience, something more complicated than usual, without Anakin there to help.

Didn't expect to see Eeth Koth next. Or that-Eeth-Koth-look-a-like whatever his name is.. I'd prefer if they just made him Koth and forget the stand-in with another name.

19. isanpa

isanpa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2005
    Its Agen Kolar ;)

20. VentressFan01

VentressFan01 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2008
    I think its Eeth Koth and it might be the end of him:( Found this so i think it indicates it is him http://www.flickr.com/photos/starwarsblog/3946334048/sizes/l/in/set-72157622435652544/

21. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I always believe (and still do) that Eeth Koth died in the Battle of Geonosis in AOTC. His strange survival in the EU afterward should stop.

22. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I'd rather it was Eeth Koth, but maybe they'll make it Agen Kolar. One reason I could see them going with that is because 'Eeth Koth' is kind of an awkward name. Not sure I can imagine Anakin or Ahsoka saying it. 'Master Koth' perhaps.

23. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I'd actually find it ok for them to rewrite Eeth Koth's death. I mean, he was killed in a sourcebook. I'm open to TCW rewriting clone wars canon to fit Lucas's vision.

24. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    Man, this episode was the most intense yet! The emotional atmoshere was top scale!
    "Kill me"-Barriss
    That was really something to hear from a show about a billion kids watch. [face_laugh]

I'd give this episode a 10/10! The only flaw was, yeah, the whole Ahsoka and her clone "fiend" thing.
    Positive:
    1) Kit Fisto!!!
    2) The freezing animation was pulled off really well. I was actually freezing.
    3) Lots of evil clones
    4) Lots of Jedi
    5 Lots of Vader
    6) Awesome plot

Negative:
    1) Nothing for me but I sense complaints from parents. [face_laugh]

25. Corpseslayer

Corpseslayer Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2009
    Just a question, but who was speaking Geonosian when Barris and Ahsoka took on the clones?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.