main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 210: The Deserter Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I think we simply never really got to know the Clones in the films alone, and taking the aiwha-bait at their word is a stretch. This is something every other facet of the EU has examined, some in more detail than others. Lucas and Filoni are just catching up.

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Hmm, so about the hunt for General Grievous....the Republic was able to spare an Acclamator to land a squad on the surface to look for him, but they don't bother to keep a few starfighters patrolling to prevent the sort of stunt that the guy pulls at the end? Presumably the Separatist fleet survived and is still in orbit, else the shuttle wouldn't have arrived so soon, but getting Grievous has to be worth pulling some fighters away from the battle. And while we're at it, a pair of gunships ought to have been able to find and check all the crashed pods in no time at all if only they had been used....

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Bwahahahah!=D=

Well spotted!

4. avatarkenobi

Jan 2, 2010
    I never understood on this episode, what was with the conversation between Cody and Obi Wan when they talk about Rex? It seemed completely uneccesary and quite clumsy where Cody goes "Rex is a smart man" was it just to remind the viewers who Rex was?

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    ha ha yeah, I forgot about that.

6. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I was wondering where the Acclamator came from and, if that was the only ship to land, why Rex says, "The cruisers have returned to orbit". Is there an explanation for this or something that was just overlooked?

7. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    God, yeah. That was such an awkward exchange. Rex is just leaving on his mission...

8. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Seemed more like an "OMG REX IS TEH AWESOME" drop on the part of the producers...which I disagree since, cool as he is, I prefer Cody.

9. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    "Hey kids, remember: Rex > Obama".

10. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    GARTH, you think everyone > Obama.

11. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I liked this one a lot, both the story with Rex coming to terms with Cut and his desertion and the pursuit of Grievous. I'm a bit surprised Rex did decide not to report Cut, but fighting side by side will do that I suppose. That ending was tense, though. I wasn't sure they were going to let Cut make it.

And dang that final attack on Grievous was fun. I loved the sound effect they used right before Obi-Wan leapt and cut at Grievous. It was cool in the trailer and it was cool here.

I wonder how long the search and pursuit of Grievous lasted? Even with a bacta patch, it may have been days before Rex was able to get up. And I would hope that the battle droids power supply isn't so low they'd start collapsing after a few hours.

Heh, Crys' long blonde hair was kind of funny to see. Reminded me a bit of Argyus, though it was a little more traditional than that.

Did Jennifer Hale voice Suu, too? How many female Twi'leks will she be voicing? Not that I'm complaining.

And this one is on 10, so it's not that far behind.

That was a bit odd, especially since he now knew the war had reached their planet.

And remember, these are some of the most highly trained soldiers this galaxy has ever seen. The Jedi don't need to babysit them all the time and they shouldn't have to.

One could also point out that in both cases the Jedi had other things on their mind, Anakin and Obi-Wan concerned about the thousand approaching battle droids and Ahsoka probably a bit occupied with brain-entering parasites to mourn her friend at that moment. I'm sure RL soldiers are trained to finish the mission first when a comrade is clearly lost and mourn them later. Should we condemn Admiral Stazi in the Legacy comics for declaring that the mourning would have to wait and to get the frell out of there after his good friend Admiral Nict and his ship are destroyed?

12. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    I suppose they could go the Star Trek route and have several humanoid species share a common ancestry. I don't think that's necessary though...

The only way I could really see it work is in the way it's presented with many clones we personally get to know, as well as the argument used in Battlefront II and for pretty much anyone who joins the Empire for idealistic purposes. It'll be because Rex believes the Empire brings order to a chaotic galaxy, something he might desire after three years of constant insanity of the Clone Wars.

Maybe they sent more than one ship that was holding off the Republic fleet while the shuttle picked up Grievous.

Obviously so we'd feel that much worse when Rex took one to the chest. :_|

13. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    MistrX - if you could keep your posts a bit shorter, I think they'd be easier to read. Actually, your posts are fine - it's the multi-quoting that gets confusing after a while. [face_peace]

14. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    Multi-quoting? Like quotes within quotes or responding to so many of them?

15. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Well, both to be quite honest. [face_laugh] There's no hard and fast rule on this, I just try to get people in LACWAC to be as clear as possible.

I have no problem understanding you, it's mostly an overload kind of thing - you're trying to quote to give full reference to the point you're making, but after a while, it just seems like too much to read for one post.

But then, I'm lazy. [face_blush]

Like I said, it's not a bannable offence or anything, and if nobody cares, I'm probably just being pedantic.

16. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    It took Trek 20-some years to retcon (or at least establish) that, though; for a long time, it was just "okay, everybody's half this or that" (and Trek is supposed to be more science-y than Star Wars). And I think that Trek has contradicted itself on that one a time or two, but it's hard to keep track of. Continuity gets a lot worse on weekly shows than films, and... oh, wait. Damn.

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Liked this much better the 2nd time around.

Kenobi rules all.

Also: look at how much Rex's facial animation has improved from the TCW film to this episode. [face_hypnotized]

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Trek continuity results in two whole Wiki's. One for canon, one for non-canon. So... appallingly bad canon. I think a book series which had been running for a few years and finished about October of last year involving the Borg actually being permanently, well, fixed, has been tossed aside by the Star Trek Online game for another Borg invasion of the Alpha Quadrant, a Romulan Civil War, and the Klingons at war with the Federation. Again. But it's set post-Star Trek IX (or X or whatever) in the Prime Universe so that's interesting, I guess.

Either way, repulsive canon.

Though seeing Vader and Batman have an Infinities fight doesn't make me any happier. [face_plain]

19. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    There is a point there, though, that I probably didn't have to respond to everything. Half of those quotes just seem to be agreements or little addenda that don't really add to the discussion.

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Well we do have to make assumptions based on the story and how its being presented to us right? If the story made it clear then they would be unneeded, it didn't thus its completely up in the air.

It's a little unfair to suggest that I shouldn't view it that way when we really have no clue how it was meant to be viewed and actually require Filoni to explain things to us.;)

Sure, maybe its year three already, we don't know. But considering that we have three and a half full seasons to go I think its very unlikely that we're beyond year one just yet.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Wasn't that hinted at as a possible future eventuality by earlier material, though?

22. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Rex > GARTH_MAUL > Obama

23. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    [image=http://cdn.screenjunkies.com/www/sites/default/files/images/Obama_Darth_Maul.jpg]

24. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    So much for mods keeping us on topic. :)

25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I believe that when Star Trek was Paramount's property the official stance was that all that was canon were the shows and films. Anything beyond that was non-canon and so was much more lax policies were involved in Star Trek books, games, etc. I don't know that it's so much a case of "bad canon" since it's understood that for the ST property the books and such (again, at least under Paramount) are not canon and so they didn't necessarily have to follow the films or shows or have to even be compatible amongst each other. Now that CBS has the property, I don't know what changes (if any) there have been. For Star Wars there's apparently some issue with Karen Traviss (?) giving up on an idea because the canon was changing, whereas I think a similar event occurring in the ST novels is less likely. Kirk was killed off Generations, but to my understanding that didn't stop Shatner from reviving the character in the literature. Similarly if some prime universe show or film is released down the road, I don't think Star Trek Online is going to have any bearing on it, as Cryptic Studios has flat out said that STO is not canon.

In contrast, when Filoni wants to kill off Eeth Koth, he says he was consulting various people on what had been established in the books, etc. on the character. However, the final word rested with Lucas, and there is a quote by Lucas that I found on wikipedia in which he says that when the concept of creating an EU for the Star Wars universe was originally pitched to him, the concept was explicitly likened to what was going on with Star Trek in which it would be considered a distinct universe that had no bearing on his.

However, that's developed into this whole layered continuity concept even though at the end of the day I think that to Lucas the EU is its own little world that he can largely ignore (just as Star Trek books are/were by Paramount and CBS), or fold into his own stories at his discretion. I get the impression that Filoni is the only thing that stopped Lucas from going ahead and making Grievous' "improvements" a voluntary choice since Filoni said that he wanted to keep it vague so as not to completely pave over established EU covering Grievous' origins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.