main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 213: Voyage of Temptation Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Comrade

Darth_Comrade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2009
    Two of the best episodes in my eyes! :cool:

Anyone else think Satine weilding a blaster is interesting? o_O

Sure she's fighting droids, but I'd like to hear what Obi Wan has to say about that. :p

2. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Paul Dini writing, with Henry Gilroy back supervising!! =D=

I am a bit nervous to see how this Obi-wan/Satine thing goes... as far as how involved they were. I'm totally okay with Obi-wan being in love and having these feelings, not sure how I feel about him having acted upon them. It doesn't seem to gel with his character in TPM... and where was Qui-Gon during all this??

On the one hand it is interesting because it makes him more understanding and perhaps willing to look the other way with Anakin and Padme... especially since he trusts Anakin and perhaps feels Anakin will snap out of it the way he did with Satine... I'm just very wary of him having been full-on physical with Satine. I would really, on the other hand, like to see that he got close to her on a mission and fell in love, but his duty to the jedi Order prevented them from going any further. Sort of a "what if" Anakin had choosen duty over love. That to me is believable and would very likely be a problem for these young Jedi roaming the galaxy. I think it would actually present a new, compelling issue for the Jedi for the show to explore.

Also, I really, really hope Qui-Gon is referenced. [face_praying]

3. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    "The Jedi are peacekeepers, but they carry swords; if they have to use violence to end conflict, they will. That's unacceptable to Satine; she believes that if you bring a weapon to negotiations, you don't want peace. So, she's upset that the Jedi have allowed themselves to be drawn into the war, because it is everything that they are supposed to be against."

Very cool!! I've always wondered this myself. Gotta love Gilroy for tackling these issues.

4. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Gilroy also worked on Children of the Force. I'm not sure how it works with writing credits over there. Maybe they swap supervising writer durites every season, and Henry is still working on the show in another capacity. Sometimes Dave makes it sound like he does still work there, other times (like in the fan screening Q & A from the Mandalore Plot) he makes it sound like he doesn't. My theory is that this was a stand-alone episode that they wrote in season one, saved for later, and then layered the Mandalore stuff over for the final draft of the script... perhaps it was just a Seppy assassin droid attack, not a Mando one. I did hear it was Gilroy that wanted to tackle the Obi-wan love thing so perhaps they kept that element for the Mandalore stuff. If that's the case Gilroy deserves A LOT of credit for this arc, not Drew Greenberg. It was, after all, Gilroy who fought to include the Mandos in the first place... so it's not really fair.

Personally, I think Henry has done a far better job that Drew... and I also like the writers Henry has worked with better than the ones Drew has worked with.

5. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Didn't Dini also write Hostage Crisis - so in effect this could be a sequel to that since he introduced us to all those Senators!

6. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Perhaps Gilroy is still writing, but not in his former supervising position.

7. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Or maybe this is chronologically before Ahsoka? We were told there would be timeline-jumping this season, but it hasn't happened so far, and Filoni said that Ahsoka's presence or absence was the main clue as to "when" we were. That would dovetail with Obi-Wan's description of his encounter with Jango as "recent".

Just to verify that, are you saying you think Season 1 was not only better than Season 2, but "way better", in terms of the writing? I think Henry had a harder job getting things established, so I couldn't say who's done a better job overall, but the writing that's made it to the screen in Season 2 has seemed tighter and livelier to me.

The "is Henry there or not" question is interesting. Even if this was a S1 holdover episode, it's still being promoted with an interview with Henry. Which could be from the vaults, but I sort of doubt they'd use him in that capacity if he was totally gone or there was any kind of bad blood.

Oh, and this episode is going to be awesome. The Obi-Wan love interest thing is pure wish fulfillment for me, one of the things I hoped for in the series but was by no means confident we would see. I am well pleased.

8. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Henry Gilroy's back somehow? Sweet! He has great chemistry, so to speak, with Dave in the featurettes. :D

This looks like it'll be an interesting episode, and looks like it promises more great Anakin and Obi-Wan moments. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with this.

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I still think this episode is an older one in terms of production order.

10. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    What can I say? I'm super excited for all of this! :D

*is jumping up and down like a little kid*

11. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    There is definitely a difference between the animation in this episode and the rest of Season 2.

I'm real excited for this though, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Rex and Cody with no Ahsoka? Nice.

12. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    This - I like the summary, but will the episode deliver - that's my worry.

13. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    While I did like 'The Mandalore Plot', this episode sounds more exciting in terms of showing Obi-Wan having his own issues with attachment..and it's official, she's actually an old flame!:eek: (Good thing Siri's a Jedi, she might get jealous:p) Plus, the plot will truly unfold...I've seen bits and pieces in the trailer, but it didn't really tell me much plotwise. And the third episode sounds even better.

And like someone else mentioned, only one preview? I guess the CW guys are keeping it close to the vest right up to the end.;) And another thing, this explains from season one as to why it was obvious Anakin had feelings for Padme in certain situations and Obi-Wan either didn't care or force Anakin to elaborate on it since he has skeletons in his own closet.

14. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I'm not! Obi-wan told Anakin he loved him like a brother right after he hacked his legs off and
    then stood by, doing nothing, as his "beloved brother" burned alive next to a river of molten lava.

Run Duchess Satine, run! When Obi-wan talks about someone he used to know being an "old flame"
    HE MEANS IT!!!:eek:

15. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    LOL. nice...

16. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Not like he's dead... I'm sure any writer wouldn't mind being called up to talk about something they wrote... even if it was a year ago or whatever. Besides, since the episodes are produced so far ahead if he wasn't working on season two he wouldn't have been on the show last year when he was talking about season one... if that makes sense.

ALso, I am saying that Henry had a harder job getting things off the ground and was doing stories pretty much alone. Whereas, George has been VERY active in season two so in a sense he has been supervising Drew Greenberg. And I think that said Drew's writing and supervising hasn't been as tight and focused as Henry's. We're only 1/2 way through season two, but the Geonosis arc is a good example of what I mean... especially Legacy of Terror and the whole bungling of the Queen. With George giving the ideas Drew should have been able to run with it a la Lawrence Kasdan in ESB and ROTJ, but he really hasn't. And plus the first three episodes of this season were supervised by Henry so you can't count those. I loved Senate Spy and loved Mandalore Plot, and thought Lightsaber Lost (Greenberg's sole episode this year that he actual wrote) was okay... so I would say some really good to great, some okay and some honestly kind of a waste of a good idea provided by George. Now, like I said we're only 1/2 way through.. so a little hard to compare.

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    fanboy - please stop spamming the thread. You're able to edit your posts if there's something else you want to say a few minutes after your last post, rather than having 3 or 4 consecutive posts. Thanks, G_M.

18. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Well since they are all separate topics, I hardly consider that spam. Also, I like the way it reads better than one loooooong thread with multiple cut and pasts and responses, which is too much of a pain. This way, I think, is more clear.

EDIT - There were a few that could have been merged, I agree.

19. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Best. Interpretation. Ever. [face_laugh]

20. izzy_the_hutt

izzy_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2009
    A few weeks ago I saw a hilarious Fandom_Secret in the same vein--it showed a picture of Ewan MacGregor getting his face burned off in 'Angels and Demons', with the caption of, "When I saw this scene, all I could think was, 'Now you know how Anakin felt!'"

21. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Whats contradicted already is done. We just seem to be moving away from the culture a little quickly, just when it peeked my interest with Concord'a and such.

22. Scolai

Scolai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2009
    Well we are going to get to learn more about Obi-Wan's past with Satine, and considering she's the Dutchess of Mandalore, that might mean we get more info on her government and the culture of Mandalore. I just rewatched The Mandalore Plot and Obi-Wan mentions how much Mandalore has changed and how Satine's efforts have made a difference - perhaps we'll find out how things were before she came to power.

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Satine is already established as delusional in regards to her people, and I really have zero interest in Obi-Wan's sex life. I suspect this episode will deliver little of interest for me.

24. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Agreed. I don't want them to not do a story because it might or even does contradict some obscure guidebook or hardly read by the audience novel. Frankly, I'm tired of this writing around continuity garbage. Just give us a good story and we'll sort it out later.

25. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Unfortunately(?) many SW fans don't share that same POV. :) I'm with you on that, for what it's worth. Try to stick to established lore where you can, if not, go for a good story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.