main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 213: Voyage of Temptation Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You don't have to sacrifice continuity for a great story. The best star wars authors do it all the time.

2. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    True, but for all we know the stories could be even greater. In any case, I'm not arguing for a complete disregard of all continuity, I just think there should be more wiggle room without so much fan outcry. The Mandalore Plot proves this, as does Eeth Koth.

On another subject, are they still planning to air Duchess of Mandalore after Voyage of Temptation this week?? Because I find it odd that the episode guide isn't up like it was with Grevious Intriege/The Deserter.

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Reminds me of conversation about whether to stick to canon or not in the Roleplaying games forum, where someone, quite eloquently that if treat it confrontationally, keeping to continuity versus having a good story, then you are doing it wrong. Continuity should be an inspiration to a a story teller; a foundation to build off of, not a box to break out of.

I think the excellent comic series Knights of the Old Republic, and, ironically enough for all the controversy it has caused, this very show is a good example:
    1. The Mandolore plot: Numerous continuity tidbits, from the Death Watch symbol to the name Visla to Satine speaking something very much like Mandolorian to the mural of the KOTOR Mandolorian gave hardcore fans lots to nerd out about. For everyone else, they were nice little details that added a sense of cultural and atmosphere into the story.

2. Ryloth was a very good story, but if they had included the line, like they originally intended to, that Ryloth's tidelocked nature created a very narrow range of landing zones, it would not only have been another cool reference, but it also would have made the events of "The Innocents of Ryloth more urgent, and well, logical. Made everything click together a little more...not much, but such details separate the good and the great.

Of course, overall I have to question the attitude that every change is for the better (every consider a retacon might make things worse than they were before?)...not to mention, its a big galaxy. If you want to do you your own thing, why not make something new?

Ok, spent way more time talking about this than I planned to....sooooo......the episode:

I wonder how Satine is going to be framed for all of this. You think a Sep boarding party trying desperately to kill her would be pretty good evidence she is innocent?

4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    A convincing argument for not considering the works of Del Rey, Dark Horse, Marvel and Bantam to be connected to actual Lucas canon.

Just have fun digesting it and then poop it out. [face_mischief]

5. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I do agree that it's better to prioritise story over continuity. However, it's also wise to write your story and keep your changes within what is acceptable. This holds true for worlds like Star Wars, where the various creations and EU are usually lovingly crafted by those that came before us. Many of these things are elaborate and meticulously made, and while their fanbase may vary, it's still courteous to be respectful of it.

I think that the show has made excellent use of the middle ground for the most part so far. They've been able to write around or with a number of elements in a way that respects it but doesn't make it essential to being a good story.

Also, from what I understand from the schedule, episodes are airing this week, next week and then it's a three-week break. At least we'll get to see this story arc in its entirety, by the looks of it. :p

Also...bring on Tal Merrick! :D

6. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    That's a great point. Where did you hear this about that line?

7. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Haven't we been through the continuity argument a million times, so why are we complaining again? TCW has any right to overrule anything in the EU. The only higher authority when it comes to TCW is the original 6 films.

The same with be the Live Action Series whenever it comes out.

8. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    The debate will come up as long as people want to keep discussing it.

About Satine holding a weapon. It looks like some sort of Ion Blaster. Non lethal to humans, so it makes sense.

9. Corpseslayer

Corpseslayer Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2009
    Or a Star Trek gun. lol

10. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    Actually when you hear it in the season 2 trailer, it sounds strange too.

11. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    BTW, I've got the TV ratings from episode 11 and 12, as seen on the "Nielsen Television Rating":
    Lightsaber Lost = 1.92 million viewers
    The Mandalore Plot = 1.74 million viewers

12. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    That's really interesting. I figured it would be the other way around.

13. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    A lot of people probably decide whether or not they are going to watch based on the last episode they saw, not the one they know almost nothing about. I say this partially because I disliked Lightsaber lost, but also because I think it?s true.

14. Scolai

Scolai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2009
    Possibly, but it could also be something else was on that night. Program competition is usually pretty heavy on Friday nights.

15. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    This. I've heard this theory from Nielsen sites before. Although, its only one factor among many, including influence of advertising.

16. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Not really. They aren't counting the same demographics (18-49) as Smallville, Dollhouse, Caprica, etc. For their demo, Clone Wars has little competition, other than grade school sporting events, or parents stealing the remote to watch Ghost Whisperer. :)

For adult programming, Friday night is considered the death slot anyway.

17. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Weird, because tvbythenumbers.com had it the other way around... that Mandalore Plot did higher.

If you're right I guess that means a lot of viewers didn't enjoy Lightsaber Lost and decided not to stick around for Mandalore Plot... or at least not watch it live.

Also, bad news. According to usatoday it is only one episode airing tonight. So I guess Duchness of Mandalore is pushed back a week, along with Senate Murders? Is it possible Cartoon Network heard the fan outcry??

While that's great on one hand, I feel like they shouldn't say they are going to air something, and then yank it away. That's almost worse.

18. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Who's "they?" Did Cartoon Network ever suggest that they were playing two episodes?

19. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I still would like to know where FistoFan93 gets these numbers from.

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The Star Wars Insider advertised that two episodes would be shown. I suspect it was simply an error on their part, or the decision was changed after they went to print.

21. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yes, just the one episode tonight as far as we know.

22. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    Yeah, there's only one episode tonight according to my guide. That cool with me, as long as we get the next episode next week and not 3 weeks from now.

23. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I actually prefer that they show them on two separate (but consecutive!) weeks. This should not only reduce the duration of the break between episodes, but this way way have more time enjoy, discuss, dissect and absorb each episode separately.

24. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    I hate to press the point, but wasn't the Insider also the source for there being a long Feb-March break (which is still a terrible idea)?

25. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Nonetheless they must of known the ratings have been going down because of these awfully timed breaks and having episodes back to back kills and than having a 3 week break kills any momentum it has.

So one episode tonight and another episode next week and having some consistency will bring the ratings back up. After next week though we don't know if we'll have a break or not.(If CN is smart they won't)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.