main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 213: Voyage of Temptation Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    "Ben"? That would have been the best.

Isn't there cut dialogue from ROTS of Anakin ribbing him about that alias? Was it implied to be his "real" name?

2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Okay, welcome to the world of a crappy TV ratings system.[:D] Other than camaraderie, we have absolutely no power over the process.

As a teenage girl Star Wars fan, I'm willing to betting the 90% of the TV you watch does not "value" you as a viewer. It's all about getting that key demographic that the advertisers need.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Man, "Ben" would have been incredible and probably a top 10 SW moment for me. :eek:

I know I'm being pedantic, but calling Duchess Satine "Your Highness" is completely wrong, once again. As a Duchess, she would be referred to as "Your Grace", but oh wait, that's what we call the Jedi, don't we?

And Merrick is a Prince? Wouldn't he technically outrank Satine then? [face_talk_hand]

EDIT: Forgot about Artoo scaring Mixer, ha ha ha. I love his little chuckle.

Droid: "Are all those creatures dead?"

Anakin: "That's what I'm trying to find out!" - so very, very Han Solo. :cool:

Heh - Kenobi's interrogation with the spider droid reminds of the blood test in The Thing. [face_skull]

Satine: "You have the romantic soul of a slug! And slugs are so often tread upon." You know, she really is a Mando at heart, isn't she? :p

Yeah okay nevermind, obviously watching the show at 3:30 a.m. isn't a great idea. This is clearly top 5 episode for me.

I want more Dini & Gilroy!

4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I know, right? :eek: I'd still be crying!

Yeah, but he doesn't have the pretty floral bonnet.

5. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    One 40 y.o.. My mom frequently watches too and she's 66.

--MissPadme

6. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    How could I forget?! :oops:

About those Mandalorian Guards swinging their staffs:
    Maybe those energy balls on either side attracts laser fire in close proximity like tractor beams or absorb it like a Lightsaber does with lightning?

7. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Anyone want to wager odds that Obi-Wan and Satine kiss next episode?

8. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    She'd probably make him shave first. Othersise she'd be cut by his animated "dagger beard".

9. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    LOL. Anyone want to bet Satine doesn't make it to the end of the episode?

10. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    God I so want a novel about this Mandalorian civil war with Qui-gon and Obi-wan caught in the middle and Satine.

Also, Orn Free Taa will never be a Twi'lik to me unless Terryl didn't know what a Twi'lik was at the time. Not sure about the art of book because I don't have my copy handy. But it's weird that we haven't seen any other twi'liks like him. I def. remember him not being a twi'lik during episode one because I was like he looks like a twi'lik they should make him a twi'lik that's just silly. And then they made him one (LOL) and I was like, you know... he really doesn't look like one after all. Haha.

11. Darth_Comrade

Darth_Comrade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2009
    I couldn't quite make out what Satine's Mandalorian guards were doing with their staffs during the shootout with the battledroids. Were they really blocking those blaster bolts? I couldn't make any sense out of it.

12. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I think him kissing her hand would be quite Obi-Wan's style.

13. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    I would read that. And that's saying something.

And if there were ever to be, like, a 2 hour movie produced by the crew who does TCW but outside its parameters, I would want it to be exactly that. Bring the Qui-Gon, bring the rat-tail Obi-Wan and the teenage (or Mrs. Robinson-style, depending on your reading of her current age) Satine, and throw in a healthy side of fandoservice Mandos, and you could have the best feature length SW since... well, it doesn't pay to say, does it?

If he really was designed as a Twi'lek, I'm going to feel kind of bad, because I've thought I was complaining about a bonehead marketing/licensing decision for the past 11 years, but I've really been putting down a design decision, which I'm kind of loathe to do. Especially because OFT is a good design... he's just an improbable twi'lek.

Loving the show of hands of multigenerational female TCW fans. Represent.

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Old-ah physically, but still young at heart. ;) I have no idea where this age thing came from...I mean, I was just barely in college when this movie called Star Wars opened - wasn't that just a few years ago? I don't FEEL any different than I did - but somehow time has been marching on.

15. RaidonMakoto

RaidonMakoto Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2007
    The reason they do that is because that's what advertisers pay for and those demographics give CN Proper its 'best' ratings. All of the ratings reports are propaganda for the Time-Warner shareholders anyways, CN Proper is actually doing pretty crap (and that includes TCW, actually. However, TCW is one of the highest rated of the crap ratings. Current CN's ratings don't hold a candle to that of five years ago, and those don't hold a candle to CN circa 2000).

And you don't matter to any network unless you have a Nielson Box.

16. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Qui-Gon is being mentioned! I really wish TCW would introduce flashbacks just to show us a beardless TPM era Obi Wan and Qui-Gon. Would be great to see some flashbacks with Anakin set between TPM and AOTC as well.

Would love to get a Qui-Gon flashback.

17. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Just saw it...

First impression:

omg best episode ever

The dialogue was fantastic... the way they set up this whole thing between Obi-Wan and Satine... I loved it. The way they 'hated' but loved each other... Great approach.

The suspense in the cargo-hold was great, the spider-droid was awesome. I yelled in surprise when Anakin did the saberthrow, haha.

The finale at the end was fantastic... the cheesy moment, but still awesome to see Obi-Wan say he would have left the order for her... and I was -totally- shocked by Anakin's kill. He did the Grievous move! The Vader music when the body dropped to the ground... and then his dry remark after it cracked me up.

Fan-tas-tic episode! =D=

EDIT:

I can't remember who said this, but no, Anakin couldn't have just chopped off his arm, that would have required him to activate his weapon and swing. The guy would have hit the button at the first sound. The point of the kill was that it was made at the same time that the weapon was activated... it was the only way he could take him out without warning him.

Also, Grievous killed the Trandoshan scavenger this way, and Shaak-Ti in the RotS deleted scene.

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Okay, after a rewatch I'm amused by:

1. Obi-Wan's face after Satine sweeps by him with a genteel little shove after their face-off. He's riled, clenches his fist, and Anakin is a bit bemused.
    2. Obi-Wan's turn of the head and look at Anakin after the "It sounds romantic" comment.

The line about "undercurrent of remorse" seems so perfect. High standards exact a price.

Satine and Obi-Wan had each other's backs just like Mace and Obi-Wan had in the Geonosis arena.

Satine called Obi-Wan "Obi" twice - the first time was when held hostage on the flight deck. I missed that the first time around.

"I loved you since the moment you came to my aid all those years ago..."

"Satine, this is hardly the time or place for - "

Obi-Wan stops short and Satine's eyes wander a bit as if there's some silent communication going on, perhaps a reminder of how they had escaped something all those years ago? A "remember this" and his acknowledgement, so he waits for her move?

Hah! I was right about Merrick - he seemed a little too forward last episode in the throne room. A bad clue, perhaps meaningless clue, but it did it for me.

19. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005
    BEST. PART. OF. THE. TCW. EVER!

Oh btw, Valairy_Scot- I know you ship( or at least used to) Siriwan- what's your whole take on this w/ Satine? I love(d) Siriwan. But I don't think Obitine and Siriwan could ever coexist. They would undermine the other's moral, meaning and value, IMO

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, I'm not a true shipper - I think one of the requirements is to be rabid and disapproving of any other possible pairing (or lack of). [face_laugh]

The vast majority of my stories don't have any Obi-Wan romance in them, not with anyone. It's my original view of Obi-Wan and quite frankly, Stars Wars is not a romance genre. It's fantasy sci-fi, so there is room for romance, yes, but it's secondary to the story. I can see him having feelings for the right woman, but never acting on them.

But in my AU's where for some reason romance has become an ingredient of the story, if I can construct a plausible in-universe explanation that Obi-Wan can have romantic feelings, whether or not requited, it's all good. He'll need the Force's approval first and always, though.

If he had a romantic history - Siri fits quite well (both feisty, both stubborn, a lot alike and yet not entirely). Obidala sometimes works for me (no doubt they have some great chemistry, but I think the friendship angle usually works best), Sabewan not so much.

I could go for this Satine relationship, but NOT if Siri exists in the same TCW universe, unless it was during the period after Obi & Siri broke up and weren't on speaking terms. What makes life easy for me is I can compartmentalize this fictional universe - we can have Satine in TCW and Siri in JA, etc. It's all good IF it's handled well.

It was handled well within this arc. I like both how much and how little they said and/or implied. Very true to his character, along with Anakin's digging for details and Obi-Wan's refusal to give any - a gentleman and a Jedi to the end.

I just thank the Force he didn't complain about "sand" and come off as a lovestruck, sappy boy. :D (You can tell, can't you, I am no fan of the romance as presented in AoTC?)

21. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Dear gods, not that I want to get into the shipping argument, but I'm glad I don't work with my wife, you know what I mean? I don't think I would marry another lawyer because I don't think it would work well.

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    :confused: O - kay, not sure how your wife works into "shipping." You mean someone, anyone, in a relationship with someone in the same field (Jedi + Jedi), or something else? How about a defense attorney and judge? Peace activist and soldier? All interesting relationships, too.

23. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    To start off, this episode was certainly lower octane than the last, which is perfectly understandable. It benefited from this, though, with fantastic dialogue, chemistry, a few comic moments, something which reminded me of Clue (It was Tal Merrick! In the cargo hold! With the assassin probes!), and plenty of other little things. Some of the things which stood out for me...

-Tal Merrick. My gosh I can't begin to describe just how awesome I find him. He's deliciously evil yet witty and disrespectful, and just LOOOOOVES rubbing things in other people's faces, all of it beautifully delivered by Greg Proops. The finale when he faces off Obi-Wan with Satine made him my favourite antagonist in all of TCW for his sheer evulz and his 'touching but it makes me sick' commentary [face_laugh].....too bad he's dead. :(

-Anakin, the clones and Artoo definitely won an award for 'contained action role', as each had their own appeal. I especially loved the throwback to ROTJ when Anakin THREW his lightsaber :D

-Orn Free Taa is another surprising gem, as I loved his voice and dialogue which was both diplomatic yet cowardly. He's good for laughs and food gags. I want to see him beat someone over the head with a nuna leg. [face_laugh]
    -Speaking of senator Orn Free Taa, I thought I saw a little animation goof. When he first runs away, he throws away his nuna leg. Yet when he's getting up from behind the protocol droid, there's a nuna leg in his hands again. Either an animation goof, or a sign of his legendary appetite. :p

-Obi-Wan and Satine have great chemistry that is both fun to watch AND unique compared to other relationships. Their confession at the finale was sweet, though I agree that Ben would have made it even sweeter. Also, when they're arguing before dinner, when their profiles are facing one another, I was reminded of Mortal Kombat and other fighting games. [face_laugh]

Not a high speed episode, but it worked very well. Senate Spy could have been this. XD
    I get the feeling that this arc might very well become 'the definitive Obi-Wan episodes' of the show if you wanted to get into it. :D

24. GeneralHaze

GeneralHaze Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2009
    I second this, I effing love this show!

I don't think this show is JUST for kids/boys either, they really touch on adult themes especially that suicide scene in the previous episode.

25. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    Maybe I'm just really immature or something, but it seems geared MORE to adults than kids, due to the violence (it's not just robots blowing up; things get pretty brutal at times) and the aforementioned mature themes.

By the way, I am really happy to see that there are a number of older people like me (I'm 30) watching this show.

I just watched it again and I second the comments about Merrick being a well done character. Proops was terrific. He was so good at being bad. And how can you not love a guy who ridicules sappy Star Wars-style romance... IN Star Wars? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.