main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 214: Duchess of Mandalore Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    Grievous is all talk no no game. Despite how he is portrayed in this series he ultimately gets one shotted.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthDyno#p/u/4/sPWb9QnYYzY

He he >.< Okay so I cut out three blaster bolts.

2. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    And culture is the important word here - Ewoks are just as bright (maybe brighter) than the other sentient species we encounter, they just have a comfortable-looking stone age culture. It's a common fallacy to see 'primitives' as at risk from exposure to 'advanced' scoieties, but in fact their necessarily greater manual skills and oral memories may make them far more adept at learning new stuff. Look at how quickly they mastered the operation of repulsorlift vehicles, and they already have unpowered flight. Maybe the Forest Moon is lacking in surface-exposure of metals, limitting rapid technological advance, but I reckon an Ewok would pick 'advanced' culture up in a minute.

As to the Force, there's no reason that the shamanic religion they seem to embrace isn't rooted in Force use. Okay, obviously nobody is up at the "levitating protocol-droid" level, but there's no reason Logray isn't having visions of other places and other times.

3. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    A dog can have emotions and compassion and you can teach it tricks, but you can't teach it something like Catholicism. It's not evolved enough yet. Ewoks may be Force -sensitive, but they're not yet developed enough to manipulate The Force or understand it to level necessary to become a Jedi Knight. Maybe some day, gentlemen, we'll have our walkin talkin Catholic dog, but not now.

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Yet the Ewoks do clearly have religion and are a lot brighter than dogs. Heck, they are bright enough to trap Chewie, Han and Luke and take the fight to the Empire.

Nevermind Tarfang;)

5. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Heh, so this is what happens to threads when we don't have any new episodes to discuss... this is going to take looooooooong... [face_worried]

6. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    I'd want access to a ship as well, because sometimes I'd want to go spend time with nature on the forest moon of Endor, or Orto Plutonia, or Maridun. But then there'd be times I'd want the civilization of a place like Coruscant, or Alderaan.

7. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010
    Yeah, but they still have trouble understanding things like Outer Space, advanced machines, and The Force without adding the elements of their own religion to explain it. To be a Jedi, one has to understand that everything is part of the living force and bound together by it. Ewoks seem like they would try to explain that this power is given to them by their gods, which might limit their ability to manipulate it since Jedi understand that it's The Force that is the highest spiritual power.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ewoks left Endor and joined the war, I vaguely recall. There were two on the Liberator when it crashed on Coruscant.

A lot emigrated to... Svivren?

Yup. Svivren.

9. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010
    well, then it shouldn't be long before we see the Ewoks develop enough to become Jedi. I just kinda think their sense of understanding is just still on the ropes. Not because of physical evolution, but just because of how they're raised and what they are taught. It's different for creatures like Gungans and Jawas, who come from tribal societies, but have been exposed to the greater galaxy for longer periods of time.

*Prays that Jawas can be Jedi* [face_praying]

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  11. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010
    I like that artwork.I remember seeing it browsing through a book in a store. haha

From the wooki-
    In 2005 on the Dark Horse message boards, Randy Stradley claimed that, along with Vulptereens, Ewoks are among the species mentally unable to manipulate the Force and as such can't become Jedi. However, Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds, released a year before, depicted an Ewok Jedi.

I don't take this as meaning Ewoks will never be Jedi so long as they exist, just that there are certain factors in how they are raised when we see them that hinder some of the mental development needed to become Jedi. It's much like how we've only had one single Hutt Jedi because of how most Hutts, force sensitive or not, are raised. Or how we've had only one Yuuzhan Vong jedi(a dark jedi) cause of how their culture was for many years. Not to say that Ewoks are bad bears, just that certain elements of how they are taught affect their perception of the universe, which determines greatly if and how one taps into the Force.

12. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    That'd be culture, then. Earlier you suggested that Ewoks weren't 'evolved' enough master the Force. which is a different thing. I'd argue that flying speeder bikes, playing music, building treetop villages, hang-gliders and catapults shows enough abstract reasoning capacity to grasp most things. I've no problem believing that the culture they're raised in means they aren't cut out for Force use.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I wouldn't mind living on Alderaan. Love the mountains, so....

14. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010

I think Ewoks would likely add their own superstitions to the Force as Jedi know it, or would not pay it any mind because of they are fine with their traditions as they are now. To be a Jedi,an Imperial Knight, or a Sith, one must be able to manipulate the force at a certain level needed to become one of those things, and in order to do that one must also understand the nature of the Force as a Jedi or Sith does just as much as having the Force sensitivity. Ewoks turn to their gods and the spirits for power, not the unifying force that Jedi do, therefore they only gain a fragment of power or understanding of the universe.

If Lucasfilm wanted to make an Ewok Jedi for a storyline, they would need to explain or at least imply that this particular Ewok detached himself from the traditions of his species or that he compensated his old world traditions with his new Jedi traditions while making sure that the teachings of the Jedi and the Force took priority over the religious beliefs of his people. The Ewok would need to be shown as having allowed himself to evolve his understanding to the next spiritual level. Ewoks don't seem like they lack the physical evolution(which may have sounded like what I was trying to say), and if they weren't physically evolved enough that would be nature's responsibility to change, but what they lack is in understanding which can only change over time if Ewoks allow themselves to evolve(mentally and spiritually) through the choices they make in the greater galaxy.

Inviting a new religion and its values into your society is something that is really difficult and can't always be so sudden, even if it shares qualities with the one(s) you adhere to already. Even in the more civilized systems, unrest can happen over differences in religion, big and small. The Jedi and the Sith have been fighting for years because of the differences in their religious teachings!;)

but I think we've said enough on this topic for this thread, if we want to discuss Ewok culture in further detail, we should stick to the EU Community or The Saga Forum.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    probably, but we're being pretty lenient at this point - hoping for ANY discussion during the long TCW drought. [face_laugh]

16. Scolai

Scolai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2009
    I got a new 42" flatscreen tv this past weekend. My old set was like 9 years old, big ugly 32" crt. Getting to watch season one on true widescreen is awesome, and I DVR'd of most of season two, though not in HD...bummer.

That's all I got for now...

17. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010
    Anybody ever play Clone Wars Risk??

18. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    I didn't even know it existed. Speaking of SW merchandise, I haven't even seen the season 1 set in stores anywhere... they released it months later over here (probably due to subtitles maybe), and it looks like I'm going to have to order it online. [face_worried]

Is this thing worth getting a BluRay player for? I might consider it because BluRay sets are getting more and more affordable...

19. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I played it once. Never got into the order 66 rules. After a while, it turned into a game of chronic backstabbing, angry rage quitting family members, and then me setting up the little clone troopers in a battle diorama with the droids.

20. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010
    It came out when Episode 3 did. pretty neat.

I had only ten or so planets under my control and because I saved a card that let me attack any planet I wanted regardless of boundaries. sent two troops to the Darth Sidious planet and won!

21. cwquest1

cwquest1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2008
    i slice up the figures and convert them for my homebrew sw minis game:

legs & torsos from the risk supers with micro machine b1 tops to make commando droids
    [image=http://www.galactic-conflict.co.uk/images/troops/BX_commando_droid.jpg]

heads and torsos from risk clones with other bits from micro machine stormies to make 212th clones
    [image=http://www.galactic-conflict.co.uk/images/troops/212th_attack.jpg]

converted risk supers with tusken raider heads to make magna guards (pictured with my cad bane & pre vizsla customs)
    [image=http://www.galactic-conflict.co.uk/images/random/medium.jpg]

22. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Dude, that's pretty cool!

23. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Thats pretty awesome. Reminds me of the Warhammer 40k miniatures. Wouldn't it be awesome if they made a star wars line?

24. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Ditto. Let's say 100 BBY.

25. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    Late to the party again but I enjoyed this one.

The intrigue was well done and I liked this one for story itself rather than the sum of it's parts as is more common.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.