The Clone Wars: Episode 214: Duchess of Mandalore Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Gry Sarth, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynoblaze Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    As the Joker once said. And. Here. We.....Go.
  2. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, that episode was freaking awesome.

This has got to be the best dialogue that has come out of this show yet. It actually made the Senate scenes interesting! I loved how it portrayed the Republic in a less than perfect light. It shows us how corrupt and intrusive the Republic is becoming.

If anything, this episode did wonders to expand on Palpatine's character. The subtle facial animations showed his displeasure at seeing his plan fail. I loved every second he was on screen.

DID I JUST SEE MON MOTHMA?!

For an assassin he got a surprising amount of character for an otherwise extra. And he was a kriffing badass with the thermal det, followed up with an intense fist fight. Those Death Watch sure know how to fight unarmed.

So, it seems the Death Watch isn't quite gone yet. Dooku has clearly got other plans for them. Viszla looks like he's gonna become one of the Seps heavy hitters.

The animation was the absolute best we have seen yet. Whereas Lightsaber Lost gave us the seedy underbelly of Coruscant, this episode gave us the more classy upper districts. That big open park area just made me go "wow".
    Not to mention the brilliant facial animation, and the animation of the cloth of their hoods. Overall, it was simply stellar.

I thought that this episode was going to be an awesome Assassin chase, but instead, it was an awesome assassin chase coupled with a brilliant plot involving corruption, deceit and the backstabbing nature of the Galactic Senate.

Move aside Rookies, The Duchess of Mandalore is my new favourite episode.
  3. Dynoblaze Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I'm facepalming over the fact that the assassin didn't pack enough explosives to blow up the entire car.
  4. Dynoblaze Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I don't think so. Fett would be 16 at this point. Unless he's taking growth hormones. I think this is another case of the underlings kicking more ass than the so called "head guy."
  5. whateveritis12 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Wow let's just give us even more examples at Palpatine exerting even more of his will on the Galaxy and occupying a planet that doesn't want it's help. Man can we get anymore of these wall bang at exactly how much Palpatine wants to control things? I don't know how many more of these overt things before people would get even more suspicious as to exactly why these things keep happening.
  6. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    Its not like this is anything new. The delegates from the Petition of 2000 are well aware of the controversy surrounding the Chancellor's actions.

And the fact that most of the vocal opposition to Palpatine's government seem to end up becoming subject to "assassination" by Seps, or perishing in "accidents". Valorum I'm looking at you.
  7. TheMacUnleashed Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Thoughts as I watch:

-Animation isn't as good as it's been. The faces look much stiffer than they've been, although most of the scenery is quite good.

-Satine's speech to Obi-Wan wasn't that great. It seemed overly dramatic -good words, but not delivered in the best way.

-Nice animation on Mas Amedda -I like the way he was sort of a guard dog, leaning over Palpatine.

-Good foreshadowing on the Republic's fall into the Empire, and on the corruption that exists within.

-Police droids. :D

-The scene where the armoured police tripped over the droids -:p Those have to have been the clumsiest men in white since the ones in the background of ANH, when the soldier hits his head on the doorframe.

-Obi. She really likes that nickname!

-"You are a most loyal servant." Again with the foreshadowing!

-Good ending, a bit reminiscent of Yoda's 'Begun, the Clone Wars have.'

Overall, good episode! Solid plot, with nice undertones of Obi/Satine. I have to wonder what's going to happen to them now. The ending was hardly conclusive, and actually, it wouldn't have been unless she was dead or imprisoned at the end. I hope we see her again at some point in the show.

9/10.
  8. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Considering Dooku's and Vizsla's final conversation, I get the feelnig that the Mandalorian sidestory isn't over yet.

Nice cameos by Mon Mothma and Riyo Chuchi.
  9. Darth Pipes Force Ghost

star 5
    I thought that was GREAT! It had an absolutely amazing cinematical feel to it, particularly Coruscant at night. The Mandalorian army gathering was impressive too...I sincerely hope this isn't the last we see of them. I enjoyed the Senate scenes as well (Palps was NOT happy at the end) and it was good to see Padme play a prominent role and not get kidnapped.

-This was a Satine episode and she faired very well in the second half. But God, when she was railing against Obi-Wan, I was hoping he would throw her off the landing platform. She's still the worst kind of pacifist.

-Loved the bit with the clones questioning the Hammerhead.

-Mas Amedda appears and Mon Mothma too!

-Love that bit with Padme staring at Obi-Wan and Satine. She should have said "Geez, Anakin wasn't kidding. Get a room, you two!"

-Only complaint...why didn't the Mando take his first shot at Satine? I could see trying to kill the more dangerous of the too but still....

Great, great episode and story arc. Here's hoping we see more of it.
  10. Bly Force Ghost

star 4
    Hope the bucketheads show up again...we could have some epic battles between them and the clones.

Speaking of the clones, did anyone else besides me find the idea of troopers with shields and truncheons a bit ridiculous?
  11. Strika23 Jedi Master

star 2
    I enjoyed this episode alot! The animation was beautiful!

Pros:
    -Animation, especially the upper districts of Coruscant. Also, the way the cloaks were animated was great!
    -New alien species for a senator (kinda looks like a triceratops)
    -MON MOTHMA! :D:D
    -I loved the model for Mas Ammedda, IMO his model should have been made since season 1. In season 1 Orn Free Taa, Padme and Jar jar standing around Palpatine all the time was kind of stupid. They need to make a model for Sly Moore now.
    -Nice dialogue between Obi and Satine!
    - The whole "times are changing" quote
    -The chancellor's manipulation and subtle face movements showing his evil side.
    -Loved the assasination scene and the speeder accident crashing into a building, the series is getting darker!

Cons:
    -Why would satine say "bring this to Padme"? Im so sick of this series making Padme some super woman. She should have said bring it to the senate or something. I hate how Padme always takes center stage in every conflict, shes supposed to be one senatar representing one tiny world in the Republic of thousands of senators. I'm so over Padme!
    -A jedi council scene would have been nice.
    - AS usual in Canada, No preview for next episode! Argh!! Any info on the preview?
  12. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    You know, that assassin was voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.

[face_mischief]
  13. Dynoblaze Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Sweet this episode was pretty good. Only two instances where the bad guy could have won (speeder and the five seconds after the assassin threw the stun grenade. I know its badass to walk slow mo but you really should have taken out those blasters and capped both Obi and the Dutch while they were dazed.). A cool fight scene between Obi and disposable Mando (who still kicks more ass than his leader). Although you could argue
    a) why didn't Obi use Force grab that way in the first episode (granted there were more than one)
    b) since when did the Mandos need to hit their wrist to use the jetpack? (the three in the first episode didn't need to and Jango and Boba never had too.) and
    c) no one notices a guy with a SNIPER rifle and armor walking around?
    And nice senate action. Surprising amounts of plot development.
  14. MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Master

star 4
    Think riot cops. The bigger deal for me is that they're ostensibly cloned for war, not policing.
  15. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    Interesting episode. Basically, we get no Mandalorian action. That one lone assassin basically took down Obi-Wan, but failed to kill Satine. And yet again, Padme gets some action. I did hate her appearance in this episode. Every time that the senate is featured, Padme needs to get the spotlight. New Coruscant scenes were featured as well. That one Ralph McQuarrie Coruscant concept art was featured as an unknown location on Coruscant. It was used all right, in my opinion.

One thing that bothered me the most was when the assassin was trying to snipe Satine, certain things would get in the way. That happened twice, and it made Satine feel like she cannot die.

Overall, decent episode. We're going into a month break, and there was no preview for the next episode.

Edit: Did I mention that I hate Padme? :p
  16. Mandalore The Uniter Force Ghost

star 2
    Not all that impressed with this episode. Palps is swiftly becoming unbelievable as the "best thing for the Republic". Pre Vizsla turns out to be a cry-baby when things don't go his way...not very Mandalorian.

What's ironic is that the Duchess seems more like a Mandalorian from the EU than the Deathwatch. She's tenacious, stubborn, and doesn't stop until the job is done.

Hopefully they will revisit the Mandalorians with a better outline for'em.
  17. MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Master

star 4
    Some painful bits of dialogue, but still better as a political meditation than any of the PT. Also some interesting gender dynamics in this... Obi-Wan saying Satine is hysterical, Satine accusing him of swinging his lightsaber "hither and yon."

In fact, did I hear Obi-Wan say something about "your state of mind" and think... pregnancy?
  18. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    AHA! See? SEE!?
    (walks away sadly when everyone looks at him funny)

Now I'm sure that its gonna be Fett.
  19. Dynoblaze Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    THANK YOU. I've been saying this to a bunch of Pretzel fans (and here). He's not that impressive for the leader of the Death Watch.

1) His goons are able to lay a beat down on Obi or retreat while he makes big boasts and then FAILS!
    2)He says "warriors finish him!! (MORTAL KOMBAT!!)" instead of going back into the ring like a real Mando would (I would. Especially if I killed a guy for failing. Even if I lost I'd at least go out like a man(do).)
    3)He sounded like a three year old tonight. ("You promised me ice cream!!")
  20. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, first off, Boba can shoot. This "assassin" cannot even use a sniper. Also, Boba would be too young. That assassin took down Obi-Wan quickly, and would be interesting if Obi-Wan actually was beaten by a 11-year-old (Boba was born in 31 BBY) boy.
  21. Dynoblaze Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    This "assassin" is a disgrace to the name. Altair is crying (and wouldn't have failed).
    Well he took down Obi Wan until Obi force slammed him. Then he retreated. But yes, I would like to meet an 11 year old that has the strength to push off a wall to wall slam Obi.
  22. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    Basically, imo, everyone was crying/whining in tonight's episode. Pre Vizsla's uncalled-for attitude ruined his reputation, and more or less crippled the new Mandalorians in TCW. There should be no reason why the Death Watch leader should whine. If he wanted to kill someone (Satine), then he should do it himself with his big army. He should start acting like a Mandalorian, than having to rely on some bad-shot assassin and Dooku.

I would have enjoyed him and his Mando army storm Coruscant, and have CIS forces (maybe just AAT tanks) as back up. Instead, he remained on Concordia and whined to Dooku.
  23. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Awsome episode! I would have liked to see more of Obi-Wan's and Satine's relationship, though. It's like they totally put the love confession aside and went right back to arguing.

Anyway, I did not like the ending. It didn't exactly bring closure to the arc.

But enough of my rants, heres what I loved:

-MON MOTHMA!

-MAS AMEDDA!

-POLICE DROIDS!

-Satine actually changing her outfit

-Darth Sidious and Palpatine shown working as the same person

- Season 2 gets even darker! I don't want the show to be a depressing bloodbath, but it's nice to see the galaxy move the events of Episode III into position.

Altogether excellent episode. Perfect blend of action and intrigue. <y favorite so far!

(Also, I am just getting over a cold, and the ringing after the thermal detonator exploded almost had me reaching for the medicine!)

24. Darth Pipes Force Ghost

star 5
    According to the episode guide, here's what the Ithorian was saying to the two clones...

?According to the script, the Ithorian's translated dialogue to the clone troopers is, ironically, as follows:

Clone 1: If you see this woman, report her to local authorities.

Alien: Yeah, yeah. I just saw her!

Clone 2: I don't think he understands us. Let's try someone else.

Alien: No wait! She's over there!

That just makes the scene even funnier!

Anakin's subplot was deleted and would have had him preparing the Mandalorian invasion force. Would have been interesting to see but it would definitely be filler.
  25. SpecialOpsUnit Force Ghost

star 4
    That assassin isn't Boba, get over it. This is the 1st year of the war and Boba is way to young and way to short for the assassin.

Anyway an enjoyable episode overall. The facial remarks on Palpatine's face when Padme was showing the senate the recording were perfect, you know they can't show too much but they showed enough to know how pissed he was that his entire plan was ruined. I enjoyed Pre Vislas outrage at Dooku at the end of the episode too, probably one of my favorite scenes of the episode. How angry he was storming to the hologram was evident.

The entire arc was great as well, I'm glad it destroyed some of KT's work and made a mark of it's own. We'll definitely see them again and hopefully we get some Clones v.s Mando's.

Looks like we won't get a new episode next week either. :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.