The Clone Wars: Episode 214: Duchess of Mandalore Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Gry Sarth, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    That was SWEET.

Original version:
    [image=http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/8/2009/09/500x_coruscantmcquarrieentertainment.jpg]

On the other hand, I was hoping for a return of the Darksaber this episode. Oh well. And the Death Watch need to be more lethal next time...
  2. kecen Force Ghost

star 4
    I watched this on the behest of my sister...and because there was no new Caprica episode tonight. Eh.

Things I liked:
    -Recording manipulation
    -Satine and Padme
    -Less goony Mandalorians this time
    -Palpatine's advisor's pink-rimmed eyes. They were in the movie as a consequence of makeup application, right?
    -Stained glass portrait of Satine

Things I found off
    -Aren't there CSI's on Coruscant who would have figured out that the blaster hole was made by a different weapon?
    -Satine shot the police droid, how violent (I know it was a droid, but still...)
    -More pacifism! It never ends well with Jedi.

Things I found funny:
    -The Mandalorian leader looks like Selfridge from Avatar with that haircut, or at least some kind of blonde Roman emperor. Mandalore must have major unobtainium deposits, how fun! What a...I can't say it here. I get the impression he's just a Peter Pan wearing figurative armor too big for him. Boba Fett is too cool to hang with crybabies like him (and that's based on the movie version!).

Overall, this arc would have worked just as well with Satine being the Duchess of a different planet that just happens to have a significant Mandalorian (or faux Mandalorian) population.
  3. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Agree on all points. THought the Clone/Ithorian scene was "cute" and kind of reminded me of some of the Stormtrooper/Mos Eisley stuff in ANH. Wish they would have had a Garindan walking around too for a nice touch.
  4. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay you are obviously biased, but I have too say that would be unnecessarily complicated and kind of silly. Why would you eat rib-eye when you can have a filet?
  5. kecen Force Ghost

star 4
    Satine is very posh for a Mandalorian, that's all XD
  6. AhsokaMiro Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's to be hoped that, with a Mon Mothma model present and accounted for (which, you know, yay!) Padme will be less of the default SuperSenator in the future. Even in this episode, and maybe it was just the baggage that I bring to it, Padme was kinda like semi-jealous of Satine, or at least trying to ride on her coat-tails... cozying her pod up along side Satine's and trying to get in on the action and all.

So yeah, Viszla's a whiny little bitch, but that makes sense for the most part. He's got a startup operation going on; he's eager for it to seem more badass and historically Mandalorian than it really is, and he's just not that seasoned... I thought that was clear from some of the missteps and self-overestimation in Mandalore Plot. Which doesn't really compromise teh awesome of Mandos past and future. And it shines a light on Dooku's gamesmanship and political savvy, which I like.

Seriously, Mon Mothma. That is so cool.

Did I see Dug senators? And are Rodians getting to be a rainbow of fruit flavors like the Twi'leks?

[EDIT: Okay, not Dugs, but something that looks kind of like a humanoid variant thereof. Also liked the protocol droid variant used as a shopkeeper!]
  7. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Are there fully run droid ships? Don't they usually have some organic captains and such? Maybe they dont' turn the air off because it is too expensive and too hard to turn it back on when they do have organics come on board. And the assassin was trying to make it seem like an accident at first I think, but who knows that was sloppy writing.
  8. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    She is, isn't she; also intelligent and strong enough to stand by her convictions.
    She sure as hell beats some laughable Geonosian, ALIENS rip-off queen any day!
  9. kecen Force Ghost

star 4
    That's the thing; she's a respectable character on her own, so the Mandalorian twist feels unnecessary for me.
    The Geonosian Queen...well, I recently watched the Futurama episode where Fry goes to the Slurm factory...

10. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    One strange thing. Even though the recording was tampered with, the guy was still dead. Why didn't they follow up on that? THe guy was killed, but after they hear the full recording, everything is hunky dory!
  11. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Techincally she's Kalvedorian or whatever the planet in the system is called she hails from. I think we can all agree that she rose to power because of the times and even the death watch hates her pacifism. But I wouldn't call her weak... she is strong in her convictions and was pretty tough and fearless in this arc. It takes a strong heart to stand up to a strong warrior.

Haven't you been paying attention to the Jedi fortune cookies? ;)
  12. MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Master

star 4
    I wish they didn't just do another Republic victory return to status quo episode. What would have made this great? Satine gets the real recording to the Senate, but the assassin succeeds in killing her, so it becomes a Pyrrhic victory. They could have Palpatine give a moving speech to keep the Senate supportive of occupying Mandalore, have him act saddened by the death of the Mandalorian Duchess and say it just proves the point of how dangerous Death Watch is. Then the Republic goes in and sparks a huge Mando insurgency, as Dooky predicted. That would be just excellent.

But I don't know, maybe we'll see more of Death Watch in the future and they manage to keep it interesting...
  13. Mond Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Dude, my root canal beat the hell out of watching Karina.
  14. Master_Fwiffo Force Ghost

star 3
    I absolutely jumped for joy when I saw the McQuarry Coruscant Plaza, complete with the only bare rock on Coruscant, as mentioned in the Star Wars Visual Guide (I think that's the right book - I get them all mixed up). I was giddy with geekiness.

And the episode was good too. :)
  15. Asharak Force Ghost

star 4
    This was the most movie like episode since Children of the Force. Very impressive.

The Assassin was pretty cool, but it?s annoying that we didn?t get more fighting with the Death Watch in this trilogy. They have been teasing us about them for 8 months, and it still feels like they haven?t really gotten the spotlight.

Vizla didn?t seem particularly childish to me, his reaction seemed natural.
  16. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    Pre Vizla seems to me like a guy who has heard and read lots of stuff about legendary Mandalorians and Death Watch, and now tries to make his own. But he can't truly make all the honourary-parts to work and the result is that his Death Watch is just a caricature of itself. All sorts of "Failure"-"Warriors, finish him!" -mistakes are because he is not really a Watchman. He sort of tries to learn a language by taking a foreign book and reading it.
    Pretty pitiful.
  17. Kualan Force Ghost

star 4
    ^ Ironically, I quite like that Pre Vizla comes across like that. It just hammers home the point that the 'golden days' of the Mandalorians are behind them, and that all that is left are a few wannabes like Vizla yearning for 'the good old days' and struggling to hold back the tide of progress and evolution. It makes him a much more three-dimensional villain than if he was just another kick-ass Mandalorian leader like the dozens we've seen in comics and video games etc.
  18. whateveritis12 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Padme's the most prominent Senator for Obi-Wan and Satine because they know explicitly that she's trustworthy and will provide them with exactly what they want to do. Obi's worked with her probably the most out of every Senator at this time. I'd expect a meeting with Bail soon (in fact I hope they meet up on screen in a type of recruitment to provide whatever they can for the Jedi and vise versa). Add to the fact that Padme's been in a situation similar to what was proposed in this episode, and she understands exactly what needs to be done.

But I do admit that they need to start using some more of the "good" senators. They now have both a Bail and Mon Mothma model so use them. We know Padme wants to be in the middle of everything trying to do the right thing, but sometimes things just go to far.
  19. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    Great episode. Loved how Satine's guards were ready to defend her when Obi-Wan grabbed her. Clone shields were pretty cool too. Finally got to see Mas Amedda. And this Mandalorian made a good fight with Obi-Wan. Overall, I think this arc deserved one more episode. They left things hanging. In fact, I am hoping for a Death Watch battle with the Republic, to pay homage to the original version of Mandalorians.
  20. Mond Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Excellent point. He's probably just a loser with an empty life who's trying to give it meaning with this Death Watch business, but he can't quite pull it off due to his fundamentally loser nature.
  21. Darth_Gamek Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Pros:
    - A huge Mandalorian army
    - Mas Ammeda (finally!)
    - Return of Palpatine as a Sith
    - More of the Coruscant underworld
    - Corrupt Senate (and how it eventually turns into the Empire)
    - Did anyone know where the CIS fleet was, because that's ONE HELL of a system (whatever that blue thing is)
    - Clones + Staffs and shields = ...Pretty cool.
    - Sound design = EPIC WIN

Cons:
    - Turns out that Almec and that other guy weren't traitors. (BOO!!!)
    - We didn't see that Mandalorian army in action (Double BOO!!!)
    - Palpatine and Mas Ammeda came to their senses (Triple BOO!!!)
    - TCW-era Mon Mothma = FAIL

Comments:
    - It would be cool if Dooku and Vizsla continued their plot...I think Vizsla would return, since there has yet to be a source for:
    - Rock monument (HAHAHA)

This episode: 7/10
  22. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    That's probably a nebula, not a system...

Why is this bad? Why would they be traitors?

Fail because...?
  23. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Haven't had time to read the other comments yet, but here I go. What a great episocde, in your face "Senate Spy", THAT's how you make a political intrigue story!

- Coruscant was just beautiful, they are doing such a great job with this planet. The streets looked very well populated, with a better mix than the one seen in Lightsaber Lost. Nice to see a fair amount of humans around. But the highlight was the use of the old McQuarrie concept art for the cone structures. And the Manarai summit! God, I LOVED to see that used!

- I'm very happy that the situatuion with the Death Watch wasn't resolved in this trilogy. Satine managed to defuse the risk of all the mandalorians rallying under the Death Watch, but the movement remains and we certainly haven't seen the last of it. I think this episode is one of the better displays of politics seen so far in this show, and even in Star Wars. It's clear that the Mandalorian people are NOT pacifists by a long shot. This pacifist government is just the solution they had to accept so that they wouldn't destroy themselves. But the warrior culture is ingrained in them (even in Satine) and they would rise up as a terrible force if the Republic tried to subdue them. It's a delicate peace, and it's a good plan by Dooku to try to distabilize it to his favour.

- This is the first time we see Mas Amedda in the show, isn't it? I really liked his character model.

- Shock troopers with shields, police probe droids, biker police droids, the Coruscant Law Enforcement is looking pretty darn good.

- The Mandalorian Assassin certainly wasn't on the level of the Fetts and whatnot. He was fairly limited in his assassination attempts, but I really enjoyed his scuffle with Obi-Wan. That looked very realistic and exciting, without any of them looking out of character. I think this about as vicious as Obi-Wan ever got, slamming the guy around and dropping him to his death (if not for that pesky jetpack). That's what you get for messing arond with his girl.

- A pity we din't get any more morsels of the relationship between Obi and Satine...
  24. Asharak Force Ghost

star 4
    The assassin wasn?t as good as Jango, but he was way better than Bobba, because you know he actually did something except stand around and look cool.
  25. Scolai Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah, not getting this. She was in ROTS (briefly, though more in the deleted scene of Padme and the loyalists).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.