main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 214: Duchess of Mandalore Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Sadly, they just removed the weequay model and switched for some mandalorian people...

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I thought she only appeared in the deleted scene.

3. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Yeah hopefully Mon Mothma is in the next episode {called:Senate Murders} her cameo is probably similar to Tera Sinube's was in Grievous Intrigue.

4. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    - I'm very happy that the situatuion with the Death Watch wasn't resolved in this trilogy. Satine managed to defuse the risk of all the mandalorians rallying under the Death Watch, but the movement remains and we certainly haven't seen the last of it. I think this episode is one of the better displays of politics seen so far in this show, and even in Star Wars. It's clear that the Mandalorian people are NOT pacifists by a long shot. This pacifist government is just the solution they had to accept so that they wouldn't destroy themselves. But the warrior culture is ingrained in them (even in Satine) and they would rise up as a terrible force if the Republic tried to subdue them. It's a delicate peace, and it's a good plan by Dooku to try to distabilize it to his favour.

Very good point. There were a lot of layers with the society we saw presented here and that's a good thing.

Maybe Pre Vizla is the Fredo of the Mandalorians...

"I'm smart! I can kill Jedi too, Mikey!"

5. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Haven't we had enough traitors for the last few weeks. That was refreshing.

Huh? Did you actually watch what was going on. Watch the scene again when Padme plays the unaltered video and revel at the animation. Palpatine is pissed, a scowl comes across his face, he looks around the Senate chamber quickly, catches himself and returns to his non-plussed, content leader look. Palps never came to his senses, his plan failed and he was put in a corner, he had no choice.

Yancy

6. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    It wasn't the prime minister...

7. childoftheforce94

childoftheforce94 Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2009
    -the opening shot of the episode is stunning. a dark blue nebula behind all the separatists ships. im not sure we?ve ever seen something like this. it really shows the difference in quality of animation from the first to second season.
    -the first we see of coruscant in this episode is too, a beautiful shot. the dark cloudy skies and the light is really nice.
    -can someone give padme a new outfit? thanks.
    -mon mothma! such a fun little extra. i love it when they add these things!
    -where is ahsoka? maybe she?ll just disappear for the rest of the clone wars.
    -i cant wait for the next episode. yay for march...

-overall a visually stunning episode. lots of little treats and in all, an enjoyment to watch. id give it 8/10. i think it could have been stronger if it hadnt been so rushed. but the pacing in general was good and it is i]only[/i] a 20 minute show.

8. Scolai

Scolai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2009
    I believe you see her in the background in a shot or two, but she has no line and no center camera time.

9. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    This episode featured the best animation we've seen so far, hands down. Absolutely beautiful!

This was an awesome arc overall, but the mandos were underused. I sure hope their story gets resolved by the end of the series.

The politics in this episode were the best I've seen. Even though the first two acts were talky, I still found them very engaging. And then it made the action sequence at the end even more exciting.

Question: did the assassin not know it was Satine? It looked like he had no interest in shooting her until the police droid identified her. Also, somebody else asked why she was a fugitive when the gun she carried would not have made a bullet hole like the sniper rifle. My answer to that is that all they saw is that she had a gun and she ran away. Once she turned herself in, I'm sure the Republic CSI figured it out, which is why she was free at the end of the episode instead of in prison.

All in all, I fully approve of Drew Z. I think he's done a great job of making the show more "adult" (not in terms of violent content, but just in terms of story/pacing and the way the characters speak. This show would work just as well in live action).

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Ah, if not, then it was Davu Golec.

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    What can I say. Some of this was cool. Mas Amedda, the Assassin, Palaptine, Sidious, Dooku and even the Clones with the Ithorian.

But overall nothing much happened. Mandalore is still a pacifist stronghold, Satine is saved(again) and the band plays on.

That Assassin should go back and challenge Vizsla for the leadership of the Death Watch because Pre is just a disgrace.

I'll be very glad once we get past the Mandalorian portions of this story completely. They have added nothing but headache to the Star Wars universe in my opinion.

12. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Anyone else catch the little Terminator reference? When we get the POV shot of the Assassin's helmet, I couldn't stop thinking of the Terminator when the helmet locked onto Satine's face and ran the biometric scan.

Now, I am really getting confused here. Palpy said that Jerec was killed on Kalevala. So I am guessing his speech was given to the Kalevalans. Which makes me wonder, if Satine doesn't want the Republic to interfere with Mando affairs, then why does she seem content to let her own government choose what is best for the Mandalorians?

Wouldn't a government operating from another planet imposing rule on another planet be exactly the same as what the Republic is doing?

13. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    =D=
    I agree. This episode is second only to Children of the Force in my mind, and, although they are my favorites, I think they could have been stretched into two seperate episodes each. The staff did a great job of pacing them to fit the time slot, but in the future I hope great episodes like these aren't so rushed.

I'm pretty sure the two episodes had the same writer and director, and I beleive that team definately knows how to make their Clone wars episodes great. They have the same swashbuckling feel of the originals with some darkness and intrigue thrown in that makes the series enjoayble for all ages. So to the team that made these two episodes, good job! =D=

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Are there any screenshots floating around? Because I've watched that film many times and I never noticed her.

EDIT: Did they change the design of Sundari for this episode? In "The Mandalore Plot" it looked like this:
    [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/2/2a/Sundari.jpg/800px-Sundari.jpg]

But in the new episode the black dome seemed to have more cubey things attached to it.

15. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/ba/GunganPersonalShield.jpg]
    [face_mischief]

16. mykillmyers

mykillmyers Jedi Master star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    I want to know how the police droid assumes Satine killed the informant without seeing it, yet when it is in pursuit, it doesn't notice she's being shot at. Lame.

17. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    The only times that Boba Fett shoots things, he always misses.
    In ESB, he fires two bolts that miss Luke, then he runs away.
    ROTJ, he has nearly ten seconds worth of aiming at Luke, and yet when he fires, it goes a couple dozen meters above Luke's head.

The only time Fett has actually been shown hitting something is with heavy laser cannons on Slave 1. But those have a much wider area of effect, so aiming isn't an issue.

18. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Boba was just messing with Luke in ESB. He knew Vader wanted him alive. My little gripe is why would the mando need to use binoculars when it that feature is supposed to be built into the helmet.

19. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    She can be glimpsed during the scene where Anakin, Obi-Wan and Palpatine arrives at the Republic Executive Building after the Invisible Hand's emergency landing.

20. Scolai

Scolai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2009
    Yeah, that's where I thought she was, milling about with Bail and company. I think there might also be like three or four frames of her in or around the box with Padme and Bail when Palpatine announces the formation of the Empire.

Really too bad, the actress they had for her was hot (Genevieve O'Reilly).

21. Jedihillis

Jedihillis Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    It's literally been years since I've posted on this site, but I'm very into the Clone Wars TV show so I'll be on here more often.

That said, I really enjoyed this episode overall. However, it does feel like these episodes are just building and building towards some massive final confrontation. We've not really seen much action in the last few episodes, but the atmosphere and mood have been top notch. I've been watching Season 1 again and it's really staggaring to see just how far the show has come in a year. The dialogue is so much more mature and the visuals look OUTSTANDING. I was seriously impressed this last episode.

Anyways, I really hope they have a big payoff soon. An epic battle with the Mando's is a MUST.

22. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    Correct.

23. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    This was also a really strong Palpatine episode since essentially the Clone Wars is a farce and he is leading both armies against each other secretly... this episode goes a long way to show how he is doing that. I like that they tackled that issue.

24. izzy_the_hutt

izzy_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2009
    Yeah, I thought I saw her in the background in the Senate Hallway scene as well, but I couldn't be sure. Nice to know I'm not a crazy woman.

I think its funny that people are all up in arms about Padme butting into Satine's/Mandalore's 'business'. They need to showcase the character somehow--how better than showing her work setting? It's better than relegating her to being just Anakin's wife and sacrificial-lamb mother of the twins.

25. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    It's been a while since there has been a place in SW I've actually wanted to be real so I could visit. I wanted Disneyland to build a SW land and have the Mos Eisley Cantina to visit and Bespin hallways to walk around. I thought the locations in AOTC and ROTS were nessecary (?) but kind of boring for the most part and suffered from being digitial sets. This Coruscant plaza looked like a fun place to go grab a drink and I hope they keep up that kind of design aesthetic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.