main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 214: Duchess of Mandalore Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    This was easily the most interesting political plot in TCW. Parallels abound considering the USA occupying places in the middle east for harboring dangerous fringe groups. The fact US intelligence worked with Al Quaida in the 80's makes the parallel that much creepier. It doesn't strike me as preachy, but realistic. War begets war. Nobody wants foreign police.

2. SadPanda91

SadPanda91 Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2010
    did anyone manage to grab a screenshot of Mon Mothma?

What did we say about NO SPOILER FOR FUTURE EPISODES HERE. - Gry

3. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/JoZ/MonMothma2.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/JoZ/MonMothma1.jpg]

4. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I really need to get HD...I thought Mon Mothma in the hallway was the senator with the turban again!

5. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    This was arguably my favorite episode and the Mandalore series is easily my favorite arc. I really hope that this quality of writing keeps up. A couple of points:

- Very political. As aforementioned, the dialogue certainly echoes real world politics. Some of the dialogue struck a historical chord, too, as far as Satine's distrust of Coruscant's authority and the Republic's desires to force its will over a sovereign member of itself; reminds me of the states vs. federal government argument of the American Civil War era. I'm surprised they did this to this extent because, with the target demographic being children, I would think it'd fly right over their heads. Maybe I'm being an ageist and children know more than I think they do these days, haha.

- Love the use of Coruscant. More please! So many beautiful shots and locales.

- Nice to see the shock troopers of the Homeworld Security. I wish they'd get rid of the idea of the Republic using droids as sentries on Coruscant.

- Mon Mothma!

- Finally some real, tangible use of Palpatine in his dual role of controlling both sides of the war. This was only hinted at earlier in the series (Padme got those coordinates from Palpatine and it led her right into Grievous' ship) and we finally get to see him in a more in depth role. I also like how Mas Amadda was used.

6. izzy_the_hutt

izzy_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2009
    EDIT - No discussing elements from future episodes here. - Gry

7. mykillmyers

mykillmyers Jedi Master star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    EDIT - No discussing elements from future episodes here. - Gry

8. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    EDIT - No discussing elements from future episodes. - Gry

9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    EDIT - No discussing elements from future episodes. - Gry

10. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    This. As much as I love Natalie Portman, Padme doesn't have a very active role in the PT IMO. In TCW she seems very capable and a hero in her own right. It was one of the first things I loved about TCW Movie.

11. quara

quara Jedi Master star 1

Jun 28, 2003
    I like how this one could be subtitled "Official smile of impending rebellion"

I'm not sure what people want the character to do if she's not supposed to talk in the senate...I'd have thought it much weirder if she didn't show up in the senate scenes.

12. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, I don't have a problem with Padme in the Senate, and in fact I agree she needs to be shown as a Senator, not just bait or Anakin's wife. Her role was sadly reduced in RoTS to "hero's love" (granted, she was pregnant and not the main character, but she was sadly reduced).

However, I think what some posters mean is that there's little given context on why Padme suddenly has Satine's back. Certainly you may infer why (some have already in this thread). I can see her agreeing with Satine on the political repercussions, I can see her helping one of her friend's friends - but when she shoots her pod out to support Satine - there's little given reason as to why SHE would be the Senator to do so.

Eh, I can live with that. There's many things in TCW that we have to infer, due to time considerations or just lack of foresight, I don't know.

I do think sometimes there is a bit too much familiarity between characters in settings they should be more formal: Mas Amadda calling "Satine" by her given name in the Chancellor's office, Satine referencing Padme by her given name to Obi-Wan ("your friend" prefixing that would make it better at the cost of only two additional words) - there are formal settings and there are informal settings just as there are different degrees of friendship and/or acquaintanceship between characters.

13. Dunedain1

Dunedain1 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    I liked this episode, what with Satine on the run from the authorities and Obi-Wan trying to find out what's going on. That Mandalorian hunter is cool, quite a fight between him and Obi-Wan! :) And as someone pointed out, good to see Padme getting to use her skills in the Senate.

Some have mentioned about how long it seemed to take the Madalorian to shoot. I think one of the main reasons for this is that he was firing between buildings, and the winds on Coruscant with those huge buildings funneling the air down the streets must really be something, quite gusty at times. This could make a shot very tricky indeed, requiring very careful aim and time for estimating the compensation for the wind.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Really liked this episode, except for two things: 1) the stuff with the scout and him reporting back was pretty useless to the episode, basically just reiterating exposition we just heard in the newsreel AND knew from past episodes that was mostly unneeded for this episode even as a standalone. 2) the police droids ignoring the sniper fire at Satine during their pursuit. The fire coming from another angle like that should have at least drawn their attention/drawn some pursuing units to follow.

15. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    That's pretty much become standard operating procedure for the first three or for minutes of every episode!

16. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    That did play out as odd, didn't it? I guess it was just a matter of convenience to the storyline at that point,
    but along with guards who can't guard and assassins who can't hit their mark, it starts to wear thin.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Looking at the production orders and thinking back to some of the continuity issues between the three episodes:

-213: The Mandalore Plot
    -121: Voyage of Temptation
    -216: Duchess of Mandalore

I think VOT was meant to be a stand-alone episode initially, and, much like with Cargo of Doom, they decided to expand upon it with a prelude episode and a sequel episode to make it a trilogy. I mnea, I know VOT was made earlier (thus the unfinished Viszla hologram, etc), but I'm thinking more in terms of what was intended for the story.

This would explain, for example, why when Obi-Wan and Satine first talk/meet in VOT, they don't seem to interact like the events they just experienced in TMP happened, and why the events of TMP and DOM are more directly linked, and why VOT has the most well-wrapped up ending/end-note of the three. The oddities with the newsreel narration in regards to Kalevala would also seem to make more sense in this understanding.

Not to mention that would suggest "Mandalore" in the show may have originally been Kalevala, since Mandalore would be off-screen during VOT, and they adjusted that story point to facilitate the new Mandalore design for the bookend episodes after the fact.

Right, but usually they don't introduce a character for a single scene to just relay that info to another character from previous episodes who isn't even in the rest of the episode. They should have had Obi-Wan, Anakin, Satine or Palpatine or someone say the redundnant exposition, not those characters.

It'd be like cutting away to Jar Jar at the start of Lair of Grievous in a scene where Jar Jar talks about what Grievous and Kit Fisto have done, then cutting back to the rest of the episode and then not showing him again.

18. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Hmm, after watching this again, I'm not quite convinced that Almec is not part of Death Watch.

The scout delivers the information directly to him, exact coordinates and all. The administration had already confirmed that Death Watch was stationed on Concordia. Obi-Wan's incident further solidifies the proof that they are there.

What does Almec do? Nothing. Later in the episode, it is revealed that a Pro Kalevalan official, Jerec, is giving a speech to the Kalevalans concerning the Death Watch. Then, he is killed in a bombing attack.

I think that Almec is working with Death Watch to cover up their location. There is undeniable proof that the Death Watch are in the system, which would have made them an entirely viable military target for Republic forces. But this information is never relayed to the Republic, conveniently leaving a pacifist government alone to deal with a massive terrorist network.

Death Watch might not have been able to incite rebellion, but if they had someone like Almec on the inside of Satine's government covering up their tracks, they can avoid being tracked by the Republic.

19. RaidonMakoto

RaidonMakoto Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2007
    For the record, despite this discussion trend is now dead, part of an AAT was shown in the preview and it looked like the back of a Firespray. Sorry about that. :/

20. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I don't know, I thought the scout thing really drove home the stakes in a clear way. Agree that the chase business was a bit sloppy.

21. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Yeah, no agreement there. If you read my post you would know why.

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Kamino was part of the Jedi Archives until it was erased right? Dex knew about it too. It wasn't exactly that secret before Dooku got to it.

23. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999

24. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    I loved the episode.

Satine and Obi-Wan's relationship is much more functional than Anakin and Padme's, but Obi-Wan still gets pretty mad when she's threatened - you can see why Jedi avoid attachment!

Cosuscant looked better than ever and the use of old McQuarrie paintings is one of the best things in the series - really reinforcing that feel of a familiar universe without always returning to the same locations.

The thermal detonator sounded just like the ones in Dark Forces!

25. Scolai

Scolai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2009
    Still kind of squiffy, especially with Jocasta having never heard of it, though I suppose she wouldn't know every Jedi, even an ancient one who'd been around for so long.

It's not a continuity error, just a stretch. But this isn't the thread for that discussion.

Back to the topic at hand, wrt the scout at the beginning, I think the scene was actually necessary for us to know a) the Mandalorian government had become aware of the size of Death Watch - remember they thought it was just a band of hooligans, and even Satine and Obi only saw about a dozen at most and b) it shows that the Mandalorians weren't just sitting around waiting for Death Watch to strike.

Also, I think the reason the scout reported in person was because they really don't know who to trust. Anyone could be a Death Watch sympathizer. Open comm channels would give away that they had found the main Death Watch encampment. So the scout reported back in person to the Governor.

However, the Governor's neck looked even longer. What was up with that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.