main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 217: Bounty Hunters Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    You mean Mace? Qui-Gon would be "I can only protect you; I can't fight a war for you."

2. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    The bad thing about the fact that Embo only survived because the scene was reshot much later on, is that means Dave expected the character to terminate there, and therefore wasn't thinking about other stories that would include him. I think that means we almost assuredly won't see him in the next season. He might be back only for season 4...

3. idpullthecurtains

idpullthecurtains Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2010
    Good point.
    But am sure there will be other cool characters coming is S3. And when Embo does return the long break will make it pretty exciting.

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Same deal, Qui-Gon lived it, though I did mix up the quotes.

5. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Or a supreme letdown.

Speaking of future seasons and a supreme letdown, I see that Drew Greenberg is working on another show now. So while he may still be involved in season three (as this show is written so far in advance), it's comforting to know that at some point he will be off the show!! :)

Rejoice!

6. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    On the positive note that'll give Dave and Co. enough time to think up more new cool stuff for him to do by then! I think the reason they had him do so many awesome things in one episode is that they thought they were going to kill him off at the end! Now it's like they blew their wad on this one episode.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I thought the exact opposite. The scene was reshot later on because he didn't want to kill it. Which implies he could be back.

8. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I wasn't saying he won't be back. It's very likely he will be. The problem is that because his survival was an afterthought, season 3 was probably already written and well into production by the time they decided to keep Embo alive, which would mean they are not likely to be able to include him in an episode until season 4.

9. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Oh my god. I can't believe it. I was rewatching this episode and noticed the most hilarious thing, considering our long-winded "bounty hunting" duscussion.

When Hondo first shows up in the farm he says to Obi-Wan:

- Threatening? Oh, please tell me you have not been listening to this "bounty hunting" scum.

Why did I put "bounty hunting" under quotation marks? Because Hondo himself does some finger quotes when he says it! Go check it out. I guess he shares my view that these guys aren't really doing any real bounty hunting.

10. idpullthecurtains

idpullthecurtains Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2010
    Lol, how funny!

11. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Once again, Mr. Ohnaka proves just how epic he is.
    REALLY hoping he lives around for quite a few seasons. :D

Too bad about Embo, but hey, better late than never, after all. This is one character that'd be really worth using in the future! Heck, even Tal Merrick would've been perfect for a prison break episode. :p

12. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I never liked Hondo, and I hope they kill him off during the Boba episodes. It's not worth it if he escapes again.

13. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Well, to each his own, I suppose. [face_peace]
    I doubt they'll kill him off so swiftly after having such a big action sequence, though. Seems like he's just 'there' for the Boba episodes to give advice.
    I think Hondo works just fine as a sort of affable rogue who pokes fun at everything the characters do, kind of like Han Solo. If they use him sparingly enough, it'd be good. After all, looks like he's appearing for two episodes this season, much like in season 1.

14. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    This.;)

In fact, I'd guess much more in store...

15. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Yeah. And by the looks of things from the trailer, Hondo strikes me as just being there to give Boba some advice ("Getting involved with a Jedi is NEVER a good idea!") and maybe just give/sell/loan him some of the stuff he needs for his revenge (A crew? A ship? Info?), but not actually getting his hands dirty again. So if they do that, we won't really see him 'escaping'. ;)

If Embo returns, I wonder if they'll have Dave Filoni read more French books, or whether they'll pick up other languages for him to read. After all, it's not the first time they've based alien languages on people speaking foreign ones. [face_thinking]

EDIT: To be clear, yes, the feature on the episode has Dave commenting on the origins of Embo's language. The practice of using other languages has been around since at least the old 2D cartoon, when they had what I believe was a Turkish dialect read by people who didn't know the language to give it a more alien feel. [face_peace]

16. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    If I'm not mistaken, Nien Numb in Ep6 is a guy speaking some obscure Indian dialect.

17. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Isn't Ewok (based on) a pygmy language or something?

18. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    The Ewoks speak a jumble of real'ish languages iirc.

19. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    He didn't survive through it, though.

No, it was a country in Africa.

20. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Well Voyage of Temptation was a season one episode that was pushed to season two and readjusted to fit the mandalorian plot trilogy... so it is still possible for Embo to appear next season.

What I don't get is that they take like two years to animate this show and say it is very difficult, and then are able to make a change (like Embo not being dead) at seemingly the last minute.

Also, RE: Embo Dave calls it editing when they make that change, but isn't it essentially having to reanimate the scene??

21. xYodaUnleashedx

xYodaUnleashedx Jedi Knight

Jun 26, 2008
    This was a really great episode with some very memorable new characters in that of Embo (him and Cad bane need a face off) and Sugi (possibly the most intriguing and somehow attractive female character so far in the clone wars, though Blonde Satine is a close second) and some gripping action sequences.

My only complaints were Ahsoka's screwed up childish face when she appealed to Obi-wan to stay and help the villagers (it just brought the worst out of her) and that annoyingly voiced (I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so) farmer (his name escapes me) who was dismayed at the whole ordeal of training the farmers to fight. Boy did he whine, but then the Clone wars team might have been trying to make a connection between him and another young famous farmer who we all know and love, who was also renowned for his whining in his early years (though not nearly as bad as this dinosaur).

Also, and this is less of a complaint than a slight disappointment, when Hondo was hanging from the cliff begging Anakin to help him, I really wondered (and wanted) Anakin to either let him fall or go so far as to covertly force push him off. I suppose killing someone might have been a step too far too early for Anakin's eventual descent into the dark side but then again maybe not, just imagine if they had gone there.

Then again, I also really enjoy Hondo's character and voice so I'd rather not see him go the way of the Jedi so early. At the very least I would have liked to have seen a more contemplative shot of Anakin hesitating to choose between saving Hondo, or letting him fall. Hopefully a similar situation will arise in the future where Anakin has to make such a decision over one of his enemies (and who better than Cad Bane, by the way where is he I hope he appears in the season finale somewhere?)

22. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Relatively on the last minute. In terms of a production like this, a "last minute" alteration of this sort was probably done almost a year ago. Once they had a rough cut, black and white animation test, they probably realized Embo shouldn't die and altered those scenes. It's extra work, yes, but doable since they are wrapping up episodes WAY before they are aired.

23. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    I loved Embo and the other mercs in this episode and I felt like, as usual, Obi-Wan had good chemistry with the female lead which makes me want to see these characters again later on in the series. But most of all, I'm glad to see Clone Wars not simply introduce new characters but new species(Rumi, Seripas, and Embo). I love that there are still sentient creatures in the thousands of systems in the Republic that we haven't seen yet. I'm a little tired of seeing Twi-Leks, humans, Rodians, and Ithorians all the time, it's good to see that Star Wars still can give attention to less known species or introduce entirely new species into the canon.

24. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    And the rest of the Order made out so much better right?

25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    What are you trying to say? Clarify, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.