The Clone Wars: Episode 217: Bounty Hunters Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Gry Sarth, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
  2. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    To clarify, GGrievous meant that Qui-Gon ended up dying for his way of service, defending the peace and protecting Queen Amidala. Robimus returns the statement by pointing out that the Jedi Order as a whole ended up in worse shape for doing what they were doing. Theeeere's lots of subtext that can be taken from this comparison, but I think it's wiser to leave it to you guys to explain or speculate. :p

I must add, though, that my favourite take on this is that Qui-Gon got the better deal what with the Force Ghost knowledge. ;)
  3. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Some Ewokese sounds a lot like Tibetan chants.
  4. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope they make a behind the scenes book eventually which explains how this was all made, unless it is written by Jason Fry, in which case I would rather have nothing.
  5. Strika23 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I agree with this, it was nice to see four new sentient species in one episode and another one in episode 16 (Trench). The republic is far too large to just be using twi'leks, rodians, ithorians, humans, weequay and bith in every background shot.
    I'm really disappointed that Rumi died (well I think she did anyway), because I really liked her design the best out of all the bounty hunters.
  6. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Although I agree that it's nce that they're using other species besides the usual twi'lek, rodian or ithorian, I would like them to use more existing species that were never given much attention so far. I loved how they've already used some obscure background species, like the skrilling and the roonan, and I'd like them to continue doing that, instead of only creating new species.
  7. Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, there are a lot of species that I think should be given attention that aren't new but have just been neglected. Like, Star Wars Legacy brought back the Zeltrons with a vengeance when they made Deliah Blue, I'd like to see Clone Wars do the same with some of the less elaborated on species...luckily the next episode is going to be on Malastare where the Dugs live. plus I get the feeling that the staff at Clone Wars has a thing for Nautolans(Kit-Fisto's race)
  8. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
  9. ChrisMathers Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm kinda late to the party here, but I'm typing as I watch online.

First - the medical station. It makes sense that there'd be one near Felucia if the Republic lost a battle there. There'd be a LOT of wounded clones. And that one that Grievous almost destroyed had, what, 30,000? That's an entire 1% of the entire clone army (according to the "official" 3 million figure.) Also, the droid fighter station - am I the only one who thinks the design looks similar to the medical stations? In fact, what if the station wasn't destroyed? What if that fighter platform IS the station? ...Nah, it's way too small.

The farmers...I don't know. They look KINDA like the Felucians from TFU, only shorter, balder and with stubby fingers instead of webbed hands. And they can speak Basic. Maybe they're a different subspecies or maybe they just share the planet like on Utapau.

Good to see Hondo back. Not much to say about him, other than that part with the electrostaff. Why wouldn't he be able to obtain/use one? After all, he did capture a Sith and two Jedi once, and he IS a pirate. He's gotta be doing something right.

Snips overacting? Where? I didn't notice. But her line about being tough just made me puke a little inside. I know the show's aimed at kids and all but still...

Which brings me to the bounty hunters. Sugi was cool, but her status as team leader lent little to any particular specialty unlike the others. I did like her accent and her Boba Fett carbine. I kinda liked Seripas, the creepy little alien in the super battle droid costume. Embo was an insane badass with a better hat than Cad Bane, almost as many neck snaps as Vader, and Dave Filoni doing the voice. 'Nuff said. And Rumi - shame to see her go. Embo might get points for style and voice but Rumi had the best specialty and looks IMO. She looks kinda hot in this concept art: http://www.starwars.com/meg/theclonewars/guide/episode217/bts09.jpg

Huh. I could see her coming back. They've killed too many cool characters right off the bat, plus whenever somebody you think is dead comes back it's usually one of the bad guys, twirling their mustache and going "mua ha ha" like every other saturday morning cartoon villain, so I could see a good or neutral character come back from the dead. Also they never SAID she was dead, they just acted like it. Same thing happened to Quinlan Vos. I imagine she'd be pretty pissed about getting left behind. "Did you even think to stop and check my pulse?!?"
  10. Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Knight

star 3

Yeah, I thought as well, cause they look sorta like the Felucians in TFU but slightly different and when is Ahsoka says "where on Felucia do you think we are?" It made me think that Felucia is home to a few different types of the same race. It doesn't bug me cause it's a whole planet. There are many different parts of a planet that may look just slightly different than others just like on ours.
  11. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I love how every time someone dies in Star Wars, some people are convinced they could bring the character back at a later date.

That never happens, guys. Oh, wait.....[face_laugh]
  12. Humble_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    That's not what Dave said. He said they had to re-shoot the entire scene.
  13. Ludo_Kressh Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Finally watched it...not a bad episode, although I don't understand why the Jedi would go to Felucia in an unarmed shuttle knowing that it could have potentially been taken over by the Separatists. I can only assume that the fleet didn't have the resources to spare for a recon mission, but they still could have taken a ship with some armaments.

Yah, the return of Hondo and his pirates...not as honorable this time and the exchange between Hondo and Obi-Wan was amusing. And if there is a Separatist presence near Felucia, how can the pirates(and the bounty hunters for that matter) operate freely there. Surely, the Separatists would remember what Hondo did to Dooku and try to stop or destroy them. That aside, the fight between Hondo and Anakin was good, not being spoiled before this I didn't know the outcome, but I was sure Anakin would have let him fall.

I liked the villagers here, they were willing to do what was necessary to protect their village and their crops(unlike the Lurmen from 'Jedi Crash') even if it meant learning to fight for themselves, a good lesson there, I think.

Ahh, the bounty hunters, interesting bunch...Embo was the coolest(I want his hat, btw:p ), like the samurai warriors of old. Seripas was like that alien inside that guy's head from Men in Black, I liked how he was able to fight without the use of his suit. Sugi was cool too, a natural leader, yet stubborn...exuding confidence. I don't know the other hunter's name, but Sugi's reaction to her death proved that she cares for more than just a profit.

Overall, not bad...the first few minutes were the typical Anakin/Ahsoka/Obi-Wan arguing, but after that it was alright. Fairly enjoyable, the highlight being the fight between Anakin and Hondo.
  14. ChrisMathers Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well in this case it stands to reason. For one, it's happened before (Vos,) second, it'd shake things up to bring back a character who's not Ventress, Grievous or one of their villainous cronies, and third, if they could bring Tony Montana back from the dead*, anyone is fair game. It's just that Rumi's the kind of character I'd want to see again. Unlike Trench.

*To be fair though, they brought him back in kind of a Star Wars: Infinities kind of way in the video game. The comic on the other hand has him get rushed to the hospital hanging on by a thread. Heh - one thing they mentioned in the comic was pleasant dreams while he was unconscious - I guess that's one way they could bring the Scarface game into the larger canon if they wanted.
  15. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    I was listening to the ForceCast Roundtable of this episode, and they were discussing how while Anakin and Ahsoka want to help the immediate problem of the felucians, Obi-Wan tends to look at the big picture instead of at the immediate menace. This made me remember Yoda's quote about Obi-Wan in Ep5, that goes: "This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing." I think this perfectly encapsulate Kenobi's attitude in his episode, and it shows that it's actually somewhat of a flaw of his. His vision is so focused on the bigger picture, that the loses sight of the immediate concerns, the immediate dangers.

I think this goes a long way to explain why he let things get so out of hand with Anakin's attitude and his romance with Padmé.
  16. AhsokaXAnakin63852 Jedi Padawan

[face_laugh]
    i thought the falling ball things were funny!!

THEY REMEDED ME OF EDITED !!! LOL!

Let's try to be more elegant than that, shall we? - Gry
  17. Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Knight

star 3
    careful what you say here, youngling.lol
  18. WedgeWalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    Think you're totally misunderstanding Yoda's statement, or misapplying it.

Luke was a dreamer. He wasn't focused on what he was doing because he was looking away (i.e., away from his tiny boring moisture farm). He was dreaming of a different life. A life of adventure and excitement. As a result, he had a tendency to not focus totally on what he was doing at the time, what his responsibilities were then and there.

Kenobi, on a completely different hand, is very much aware of his current responsibilities. As a Jedi, he needs to try and help these people, if he can. As a general in the army, he has to report in about the medical station and deal with the apparent CIS threat, helping almost everyone on Felucia (including the farmers). Helping the farmers satisfies one responsibility (to them), but neglects the other (to all Felucia, and the war effort in general). But reporting back about the medical base satisfies both. So he tries to go with option 2. Yes, he's thinking big picture. But there's a difference between "big" picture, and "other" picture. Kenobi is thinking big. Luke was always thinking other.

I mean, otherwise Yoda is being somehwat hypocritical when he tells Luke to sacrifice Han and Leia (regarding the short term problem) in order to stay and train so he can defeat Palpatine and Vader (the big picture problem).

Again, I wish Kenobi had been more eager to find a way to deal with both the short term and long term problem. But that he didn't is more a function of being a general, it seems to me, than a character flaw. I mean, he clearly has sight of the immediate danger (the pirates). He explicitly says he wants to help.

Again, he's thinking big picture, not other picture.
  19. WedgeWalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    I should add, Kenobi's actions also are probably a symptom of the "non-attachment" philosophy the Jedi of this time have. And Yoda is a big part of that, even in the time of ESB (hence sacrificing Han and Leia).
  20. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    WedgeWalker, so you're saying that Yoda's line referes to Luke, and not Obi-Wan? Then what does "This one, a long time have I watched" means then? He's never watched over Luke...
  21. Ludo_Kressh Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    He could have watched him through the Force, but he could have been referring to Obi-Wan.
  22. Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I always felt that he was watching over Luke...that's why he poked him with a stick...but you're not entirely wrong Gry. Kenobi does say "Was I any different when you trained me?" So Yoda was speaking of Luke with those lines, but Kenobi interjects saying he was very much the same at times.
  23. WedgeWalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    I've always interpretted Yoda's line to be about Luke. Maybe I'm wrong in that, but that's how I've always taken it. Specifically, I took it that Yoda watched over Luke through the Force.

Here's the full quote:

Luke: I am ready. Ben tell him I'm ready!

Yoda: ?Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. [At this point Luke, who appears to be daydreaming or something, is poked by Yoda and starts paying attention again] Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless.?

Notice he says to Luke, "you are wreckless." It would be strange for him to have started tslking about Luke, jump to talking about Obi-Wan, then jump back to Luke.
  24. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    I agree that it's a bit of a confusing dialogue. But I still think Yoda is referring to Obi-Wan at that point. He starts talking to Luke, then uses Obi-Wan as an example, and attributes the same shortcomings to Luke. When Yoda says "This one, long have I watched", doesn't he look around, as if pointing to the disembodied voice of Obi-Wan?

And it would be one thing to watch over Luke with Force, just to know whether he's still alive or not. But to know all about his attitudes and where his mind was, from the other side of the galaxy? A kid he only met once when he was a newborn baby? I don't know, that doesn't feel right.
  25. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    There is no doubt in my mind he's talking about Luke, not Kenobi.

And I agree with Wedge - and furthermore, I think Kenobi's strength is his practicality - Anakin is more the idealist/dreamer like Luke. [face_peace]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.