main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 217: Bounty Hunters Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CadBane

CadBane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2009
    [image=http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7839/millenniumfalconakiraku.png]

Bounty Hunters makes up for the previous two episodes (especially Cat and Mouse which was essentially Storm Over Ryloth redux).

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It was a "meh" episode. But Embo's action sequences were awesome.

3. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    This was easily one of the best episodes they've created. This got at the essence of what drives Star Wars.

4. KazeYama

KazeYama Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 15, 2008
    I loved the Akira Kurosawa tribute, I thought it was great. Also this was visually one of the best Clone Wars episodes ever they really made everything spot on and the felucia environment was amazing. Also I loved all the new bounty hunters. Didn't really care about the felucians much especially since I was hoping to see a reference or appearance of the felucian tribes from force unleashed but they were a warrior species so it would make the modeling after seven samurai pointless.

Only thing I disliked was the pacing. This really could've been done better as a 2 part episode with the first episode setting up the pirates and village situation and showing the BH team a little more in depth and the second part have the jedi training and the final conclusion. I just feel for how many new characters they introduced it was too much for a half hour time slot. Embo was pretty awesome but he was the only one that really got to shine.

I had high hopes for the robot suit guy but he gets shot down before he could even do anything. Same for the sniper girl. The fact that I only remember Embo's name out of all of them shows that they didn't get enough development. I'm hoping they come back again in season 3, maybe next time as adversaries because I liked the characters and they need more development.

Hondo losing and running away so quick was also a bit too rushed. He seemed like he had a good business deal going and to up and leave after only that one battle was a bit odd. If the Clone Wars team are going to continue doing these references to movies or make tributes they should atleast allow for enough time to do the tribute properly. They simply couldn't fit all of the great stuff from Seven Samurai into a half hour but it was an enjoyable episode because I liked what was there even if it was rushed.

5. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    Why would they teach them how to fight? Something doesn't seem right about that.

I find it slightly reminiscent of one of the draft versions of Star Wars. The characters land on the jungle planet of Yavin in escape pods and make contact with the Wookiees that live there. They teach the Wookiees how to fly the fighters they have so they can help them in the battle against the Death Star. Obviously that was modified into what is seen in ANH and elements of it also appeared in ROTJ with the Ewoks. So although in this episode it was the Jedi helping the villagers fight for themselves rather than getting their help, it does seem a bit similar. And that whole concept of the 'primitive' vs. more advanced opponents is something that has interested GL for a while it seems.

6. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I cringed when I saw Hondo's name. Not that I don't like him. It is that I do like him and this could ruin him for me. :p

7. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    This episode was average at best, but Embo was badass.:)

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Really loved Embo. I even made a video about him.

9. Embo

Embo Jedi Knight

Mar 27, 2010
    Wow, Alexrd, that was incredible!

Great work!

10. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    0_0

Holy. Crap. I haven't actually seen the episode yet so I probably just majorly spoiled myself, but Embo is freaking crazy! WHOA!

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Thanks. ;)

The episode itself it's not that good, in my opinion. But this guy is a great character.

12. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    The "Bounty Hunters" episode left me nothing but puzzled...

GR established a medical facility over Felucia? When I first heard it, my vague hopes sunk. Of course there could be no Commerce Guild and Gossams in any of this mess. Why this planet anyway, the med. stations in "Shadow of Malevolence", "Brain Invaders" and the TCW movie seemed to be just fine in the deep space? But the plot demands and Republic has a medical station for wounded in battle over a planet where it just suffered a severe loss (Holocron Heist). Oh, wait. We don't know if that battle happened yet, and thanks to Senate Spy we're not even sure if Republic recognizes Commerce Guild's support of the CIS. On one hand, this mess could still make sense. On the other, consistent timeline is a good thing after all.

So, Two Jedi Generals and one Commander are send to investigate a non-responding station in what looks like T-6 shuttle. So far so good. But there is no sign of the station at all, instead we find a what? Vulture Droid dispenser? Potentially cool. Obi-Wan remarks "Oh, there goes our station". In "Shadow of Malevolence" there was a big deal made of saving 30,000 clones from one such station, but none of our heroes seem to be mourning the ones lost here. But that's really okay as long as Rex wasn't one of them, right, Ahsoka? Tell me again that Traviss was ever wrong about the Jedi...

In the meantime, Anakin gets shot - again, as remarked by Ahsoka - and the trio has no choice but to.. eject? The ejection bubbles look REALLY cool by the way, although they don't seem to be of the same kind as the ones used in X-wings and such, but that's another story. Our trio begins walking across Felucian fungus and Ahsoka remarks how alive anything is. Okay, now this has to take place before Holocron Heist or I-don't-know-what. They even spot a trio of rancors (hey, Galen!), who however look like the Jungle Rancor from Teth Monastery instead of TFU's normal rancors. Well, I can live with that. But soon the Jedi stop a smoke and come across a village, which seemed strange by itself - I still expected Felucians to pop up, considering GL was involved in TFU and should have at least some idea how they look like.

The village appears abandoned at least - for which there is little explanation in subsequent scenes.
    The villagers themselves are the colonist of some small, weird-looking and so far unnamed species: could be worse. They are being threatened by the pirate gang and hired 4 "bounty hunters" to protect them. Kenobi was absolutely right to ask, how could some farmers afford to hire 4 tough guys for protection. I won't even delve into why do these bounty hunters act as bodyguards - there are mercenaries, but the writers don't seem to distinguish between the two - they keep calling them both ways the entire episode. Anyway, this Fantastic Four seems very cool: Sugi is a tough Zabrak chick with a hot accent, we saw her in early promotional materials with a knife, but she seems to prefer guns in the episode. Rumi Paramita (name never spoken) is a red-skinned silent hooded sniper, Seripas is a cheap attempt of a Durge-ripoff, but Embo is the one who steals the show. Cool-looking, alien-sounding, and what kind of thing he does with his freaking sweet hat! Unfortunately, there is no introduction scene at all, the Jedi just seem to know mercs' names later in the episode.

The mercs (I refuse to call the bounty hunters) are being paid to guard the village and intend to do just that, Obi-Wan presses Ani to keep with the mission, but Skywalker and his padawan seem to be eager to help the locals. When the pirates come, we see Weequays and the good old Hondo Ohnaka with a new, blue, Kowakian monkey-lizard. Hondo makes his threats, the pirates depart, from now on the plot is pure "Seven Samurai". The episode is dedicated to Kurosawa, but they should really do that with each one: the whole season was full of Star Wars-remakes of various movies at a time (Here we have to remember that all Season 2 ideas came from Gl, while Season 1 still had some original thought). Anakin att

13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    You don't have to black highlight Bounty Hunter spoilers, it's a spoiler allowed thread for that episode only. :p

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Thought it was a pretty agreeable episode.

Hard to really dislike, but again, not sure what it really adds to the story.

Nice to see Hondo again, nice to hear the Jedi actually discuss the war for once.

And I really disagree about the need for a two-parter. It worked fine the way it was.

Not really sure what the bounty hunters added overall, gotta assume Sugi & co aren't the most reputable gang if that's what they're reduced to.

Also thought it was interesting that the villagers were poor(?) when they had this incredibly valuable crop.

15. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    An enjoyable episode, especially since I consider myself a fan of the galactic fringe more than anything else. I liked Sugi and her posse quite a bit, though I was sad to see the sniper killed so quickly with so little screen time to her name. Hopefully, if Sugi's hunters show up in the Boba Fett arc, it'll be a prequel so they can flesh these guys out a little bit more.

As always, it's a pleasure to see Hondo and I find myself increasingly enjoying his character.

The highlight of this episode, though, was when I heard the voice of Cassis/the lead villager. Given that he's appeared previously as Tera Sinube this season and this character sounded so much like Uncle Iroh from Book 3 of Avatar, I'd be willing to bet the moisture farm that the actor behind the voice is Greg Baldwin. We will see with the episode guide this coming friday, though, I guess.

16. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    It's pointless to cry over spilled milk..... or 30,000 dead clones. Just because the Jedi have more pressing concerns than mourning the loss of non-combatants (like say shaking off enemy fighters) does not make them the heartless people Traviss liked to make them out to be.

Whoever said that only Felucians had the right to live on Felucia? [face_shame_on_you]

Their crop was quite valuable, you know.

It's not unreasonable to assume that some bounty hunters occasionally take bodyguard jobs if they feel so inclined. Cad Bane was rather infamous for his acts of theft and terrorism despite being labeled primarily as a bounty hunter.

Not every inch of Felucia has to be infested with Force-using natives or subject to the close scrutiny of the planetary government; indeed there was little central government at all in the time period that "Seven Samurai" took place in.

~~~~

In any event, I quite enjoyed this episode; nice to see Hondo again along with some new bounty hunters.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [face_laugh] Those villagers are no match for the iron will of GOSSAM COMMANDOS!

18. Strika23

Strika23 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    I'm still confused, did Rumi Paramita die? She wasnt shot...she just fell down off the top of the small house. She wasn't seen at the end and Sugi makes a comment that shes 'light on company', but I will be very disappointed if they killed her off. I really liked her look/species.

19. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    She died:_|. For me this episode was really confusing. My conclusion is that I like the Bounty Hunters (Embo =P~ was awesome!!!) and the pirates (seeing Hondo again was cool but I expected to see Shahan Alama as well since he joined the crew), but I disliked the villagers and their constant complaints about not being able to defend themselves. I was like, we get it!! Anakin teaching the villagers was also a wtf moment. But, these flaws put aside, this was really an episode for the Bounty Hunters to shine, and I really hope to see them again. Seeing Seripas without his was also really funny.

Score: 7.5/10

20. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    So why can't a Jedi teach people to defend themselves? Seems to be within their written mandate of protecting the public. Mara has a lesson similar to this with Anakin Solo in one of the beginning NJO books. The problem is that a group of people live in a flood plain that is flooding again and the Jedi have to save the people. So after saving the people would the Jedi just up and leave the people to their fates? Or teach them how to avoid being flooded out whenever a new flood comes in? There's something similar going on here. The Jedi can't just sit and babysit them (they have other important things to do) so they teach them to be dependent on only themselves.

21. FistoFan93

Jul 27, 2009
    As I think about this teaching thing, it's perhaps not a very Jedi thing to do. But after all, this is Anakin's idea, and does Anakin always act as you might expect a random Jedi to do. Obi-Wan, a more by-the-book Jedi, wasn't the one with the idea, nor the one teaching. So that'd be an explanation.

22. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    Seven Samurai! I've been waiting for a Seven Samurai episode since the start of the Clone Wars! The bounty hunters were cool and effective - Hondo was a great returning character and he didn't die.

Again, whilst the Jedi didn't use the Force in a fight, the battle was furious enough that possibly they didn't have time to focus enough to do it.

23. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yeah the only thing that was really a problem with the Force was Anakin's fight with Hondo, I mean it beggars belief that the Chosen One would lose his balance on the tank but Hondo wouldn't....

24. FistoFan93

Jul 27, 2009
    Technically, Hondo was standing on the flat surface of the tank, while Anakin was standing on the curved part where no normal person could normally stand on, so that was quite understandable for me, at least.

25. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I get your point, but it wouldn't really matter, because the Monkey Lizard is randomly shaking the tank about.

I never really got that Sugi's sniper died. I'll have to rewatch that.

EDIT: Did we talk about why Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka weren't using the Twilight for some reason? Because they didn't want to crash the Twilight? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.