The Clone Wars: Episode 217: Bounty Hunters Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Gry Sarth, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    Another thing: does Anakin ever use the Twilight anymore? It seems like it's gotten barely any screentime at all in Season 2, if any.
  2. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    If I recall, the last time Anakin used the Twilight was in Children of the Force.
  3. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    http://starwars.com/video/view/000991.html
    I knew there was something epic in Embo.

And there hasn't been many points to use Twilight this season. Only point would've been in Grievous Intrigue. This time it was not possible, because it would have to be destroyed.
  4. t65flyer Jedi Knight

star 3
    A Star Wars homage to The Seven Samurai... I love it :D

I liked it all around. There was a nice balance of action with the debate over
    priorities in wartime (e.g. Anakin's struggle to be everywhere and save
    everyone versus Obi-wan's more pragmatic big picture approach).

Nothing more I can say. Me likey *thumbs up* :)
  5. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    So, is Embo a Phatrong or a Kyuzo?
  6. Senator Kelberry Force Ghost

star 3
    Well I have to say after a murder mystery, and a re-make of The Hunt for Red October (each decently watchable in it's own way), this was a great way to get back into the full swing of things.

I skimmed through many of the previous pages so if I repeat something, do forgive me.

I know some people don't agree with sending a tiny shuttle to investigate the disappearance of an entire medical station, but there is such a thing as scouting. You don't send in your battleship to scout ahead you send something small that can make a fast get away. Granted, having those scouts be two Jedi Generals and a Jedi Commander is a bit of a stretch.

I also have to confess to never having seen "The Seven Samurai" but I promise it's on my list of classic films to watch. Nevertheless, the plot line over all was excellent. A couple of points I enjoyed particularly was the stark reminder that not all bounty hunters are evil people. They are driven by the money, no question, which is why they are often looked down upon, but they're still people trying to make a living in this crazy mixed up galaxy. Some like Cad Bade are ruthless and should be hated and feared, but others just want to move on the next contract and keep food on the table.

Have you noticed, though, bounty hunters in this series seem to have a penchant for breaking necks?

The other thing I liked, which I'm still trying to work out why some people hated, was the scene outside the hut between the three Jedi, for two reasons. First it gives us yet another clue as to how closely Ahsoka is emulating her master, wanting to help everyone that she comes across without looking at the bigger picture. I was mildly surprised Anakin wasn't more vocal about it himself, but by now I think he's learned when to speak and when not too and hasn't quite managed to teach her that yet. The other reason I liked that scene was technical. The shadowing work done in it was amazing. It was something not really seen in Season 1 and gives a great demonstration of how much more attention to detail they're starting to put into the series.

Oh and there was one last thing. I was so hoping to see a Vader moment when Anakin had Hondo hanging off the side of that cliff. I watched that scene thinking to myself 'go ahead and do it anakin, he's too dangerous to live...'. But no, no Vader moment this time. Maybe next time...

And hey, we're going on three weeks in a row now with new episodes. Nice to see something like that again finally.
  7. Suzi-Wan Jedi Padawan

Not sure what to say about this one. I was left unmoved by it all. I do wish Anakin would have kicked Hondo off the ledge. Would have made for a good dark moment with everyone watching from below, but oh well...Anakin can't be deliciously bad ALL the time [face_skull]
  8. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
  9. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    Loved it. I thought the Seven Samurai plot was already overdone but the new bounty hunters and the design of the villagers were great. As was the action. The guy with the metal coolie hat was awesome. Hope to see him again and face Cad Bane! Kind of like Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow! I think Anakin isn't going to let Hondo live next time.
  10. Darth Pipes Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh and there was one last thing. I was so hoping to see a Vader moment when Anakin had Hondo hanging off the side of that cliff. I watched that scene thinking to myself 'go ahead and do it anakin, he's too dangerous to live...'. But no, no Vader moment this time. Maybe next time...

I was expecting Anakin to push him off the ledge too. But I guess you can't get these Vader moments all the time. Anakin is still a hero here and it's important to show that, while at the same time not forgetting where he'll end up.

Anyone catch the Boba Fett commercial they showed?
  11. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    Mr. Lucas has been deeply influenced by Akira Kurosawa his entire life. A NEW HOPE is based
    almost entirely on Mr. Kurosawa's film THE HIDDEN FORTRESS (a princess turning to a general to
    transport her and her vital cargo to safety); R2D2 and C3PO's characters, sans names, are lifted
    directly from the film. Mr. Lucas's trademark frame wipes also originated there. If you want to
    have a lengthy (and interesting) conversation with Mr. Lucas, bring up Akira Kurosawa.

Episode 217, as noted by the In memory of Akira Kurosawa prologue, is Mr. Lucas's personal
    introduction (to a new generation of fans) of his respect and admiration for the late director's work.
    Unfortunately, due to time constraints and the nature of children's programming, many of the prime motivating
    factors of the SEVEN SAMURAI were left out, most notably that the reason the "bounty hunters" were fighting to protect
    the farmers was not solely for money, but because they were either ronin, or had once been farmers/peasants themselves.
    However, Anakin and Hondo's banter was true to the original, which was nice to see.

Note: Get used to riding in the back seat, Obi-wan.

12. AvadaKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    As far as the dark moments go, I mean, it's nice to see every so often because it shows that he's not Superman or anything, but for him to have these dark moments repeatedly would just feel like they're bashing us over the head with the 'ANAKIN IS DARTH VADER' anvil.

In this season alone, from what I remember, they did it in Senate Spy, they did it in Brain Invaders, they did it in the Voyage of Temptation. They do it so much that I was pleased when he didn't let Hondo drop. Sure, Hondo double-crossed him, but he's a pirate so it's expected. I just think they need to ease up on the AnaVader moments a bit.
  13. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    Funny to hear in the commentary that Dave Filoni did Embo's voice by speaking French badly. Also that they were originally going to die but everybody at the rough cut screening thought he was too cool to kill off!

14. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Samwise Gamgee would disagree.
  15. CaptainYossarian Force Ghost

star 3

It may be instances like this where Anakin's mercy is thrown back in his face that hardens his attitude later on.

I know Star Wars is basically a Spaghetti Western at heart, but this was totally shameless. Will we get Yojimbo next week?

I wouldn't call it shameless given the widely acknowledged influence Kurosawa had on Lucas, and the fact that they started the episdode with a dedication to Kurosawa.
  16. El Kabong Force Ghost

star 3
    Oh my Christ, can they rip off Kurosawa any harder? At least 7 From Aduba had the decency to add in Godzilla to the mix! Yeah, I know Star Wars is basically a Spaghetti Western at heart, but this was totally shameless. Will we get Yojimbo next week?

That and they didn't do a very good job of ripping off 7 Samurai! The whole point (mostly) of the Samurai was that not that they were in it for the money (the original had mere handfuls of rice as payment for the seven), but that they were once farmers themselves and sympathetic to the farmer's plight, or that they were ronin, or that they were looking for a little place of their own to settle and put their violent past behind them. The Samurai were way more human than these vaguely characterized pastiches.

Seriously, if they were going to rip the story off, it needed to be a two parter with WAY more depth.
  17. El Kabong Force Ghost

star 3
    Whoops sorry - wrong button!
  18. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah yes, heaven forbid a 22 minute, weekly, children's television show doesn't have the depth of classic cinema. Were you similarly irked by The Three Amigos and A Bug's Life?
  19. El Kabong Force Ghost

star 3
    Oooh, sorry that I've got a dissenting opinion, that I'm not instantly falling in line with The Party Line, loving everything that dribbles from the Star Wars teat. Yes sir! I'll shut up and drink the kool aid! Star Wars Uber Alles!!!
  20. ILuvJarJar Force Ghost

star 6
    It was a great episode. Embo was a bad*** and Anakin had some really great scenes.

The only things I didn't like was that Hondo fought against Anakin and held his own. (Hondo was great, but Anakin is suppose to be one of the most powerful Jedi). And Ahsoka was useless in this episode.

But again, great episode and it's great to see Hondo again.
  21. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    I still don't understand why people praise this guy. :p
    All his skills/moves are homages to other films, but most notable his hat trick.
  22. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    Apology accepted! :)

Seriously if you're going to complain about Star Wars ripping off Kurosawa you should go all the way back to the first movie. To me it is taking the 'Seven Samurai' story and deliberately twisting it to make the bounty hunters not as altruistic. The fact is the characters were interesting to me that I want to know their backstories. I definitely want to see Embo again!

I get a bit of Captain America and Oddjob with the throwing the hat but where did you see that trick where he's running head on and using it as a shield and jumping?
  23. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 5
    I was expecting Anakin to drop Hondo off as well, but I figure in part BECAUSE everyone was watching, he didn't. There's been plenty of Obi the Angel & Palps the Devil sitting on opposite shoulders references to Anakin here and there; the implication that Obi-Wan's presence tempers Anakin's darker impulses. Well, Obi was staring at Anakin (with a "what is going to do look" on his face that kind of surprised me; I suppose it was meant as a "Can he save him" face).

I thought monkey-lizard should have gone for the groin - ouch! That would have given Hondo a big advantage.
  24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Chosen One

star 4
    Loved this episode. Hondo is definitely one of the best villains in the saga. After watching this episode, it was stated there were only 4 left for season 2. Is this right, or are there five as starwars.com indicates?
  25. ILuvJarJar Force Ghost

star 6
    All of the Monkey-lizards in TCW deserve a mention, they make the episodes for me. :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.