main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 221: R2 Come Home Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    This was definitely R2's time to shine. And to receive high praise from Windu - it if were possible, R2 would grin so wide, he'd risk splitting his lips.

But I wonder what would happen to R2 once Anakin learned R2 trashed his fighter. "ARTOOOOO!!!!"

2. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Great episode! I can see a few gripes here (not questioning the clone cadets being an obvious one) but this was well-done throughout. Artoo really shines here. Have to say I love the Aurra Sing character. An absolute ruthless badass.

3. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    EDIT - Are you discussing episode 222 in this thread? Please don't. - Gry

4. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Spectacular episode!

Home Alone with R2-D2 LOL!

Don't see why Bossk couldn't speak alien? Or at least the scene when Aurra leaves him to look over the hostages they could have had a little Bossk Empire Strikes Back-esque growl before they cut away.

Man, Mace was such a JERK, but the ending where he told R2 he did a good job was worth it. Anakin saying "that's more praise than I ever got" was perfect Anakin. Funny, but at the same time indicative of his whole "they don't appreciate me" mentality.

This episode made it seem like Aurra found Boba to help him go after Mace for a reward??

5. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    RE: Jango's armour. Boba could very well still have it, since he only blew up the helmet, which we actually don't know if that was the same helmet. He could have easily gotten a new Mando helmet sicne they are back in business and simply added the dent in for good measure. Or maybe he just dropped it.

Or later on he hit his head in the same spot with the new helmet (if he blew up the old one trying to kill Mace, which I doubt that was the actual Jango helmet and not another one he picked up somewhere). We do see clones hitting their heads alot through out the movies.

6. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    I know what you mean, I was just excited to see they acknowledge those issues, even if they didn't go so far as to put the pieces together. They really should get into it though, it's so weird. Even if they just investigated and found an answer that makes total sence, but has been planet by Sidious and is yet another red herring. As long as they make it clear that it's a red herring, since there is always the risk of confusing the issue more.

7. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    One thing that fell down for me as far as believability:
    Anakin and Mace couldn't use the Force to move the debris, or it would all fall down, but the clones could just push it out of the way with nothing falling down??? And they didn't even show us how they did it to cover their tracks.
    Too bad no Obi-Wan or Padme in the final two episodes.
    And why is Boba so remorseful? He didn't seem that way in ATOC when he was laughing when they were firing on Obi-Wan in the asteroid field.

8. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Boba Fett isn't a cold blooded killer like Aurra or many other bounty hunters. He lived by the code of honor, only killing if he had to. Obviously at this age he is so conflicted of what to do, live by that certain code his father lived by or follow in Aurra's footsteps. He doesn't want to do that but he wants Aurra's approval.

Boba Fett would never kill a hostage like that in cold blood.

9. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    This was a really great episode.

I always love episodes with R2 in it, and this one delivered for both the Boba arc and a standalone R2 episode.

10. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Does anyone know why the other bounty hunters were working with Boba? At first I thought they wanted a bounty on Mace at first, but when Boba mentioned it they reacted like they had never thought of that before.

Why would the other hunters help Boba at first if there was no bounty? It seems odd that they would go out of their way to kill a Jedi for no reason. Castas seemed to hate the job, so why would he go along with them if there was no money involved at first?

11. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Seriously now, Obi-Wan was trying to apprehend Boba's father by force back on Kamino. Kenobi ain't some innocent chap like the clone cadets or those hostages the bounty hunters took.

12. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Money. Hired to help kill Mace. Boba fell in with Jango's associates following his death. We can assume Boba "inherited" Jango's wealth and fortune so got them to help him track down and kill Mace. Boba was paying them, and then where Plan A failed they decided they could get even more money out of the deal by offering proof to the Seppys that they had killed Mace Windu... proof they wouldn't have been able to get had plan A worked.

Castas decided the job had gotten out of hand now that plan A had failed.

Also, GRY, I have no problem with this episode focusing on R2 over Boba. We had three episodes of Boba Fett action, and the first part of which was almost all Boba Fett. We could have easily just had one Boba episode, so I'm thankful he was in 3. Plus, it was nice we didn't get Boba overkill and breaking it up with another character in the second part helped. Additionally, if you are going to have R2 trying to save Anakin and Mace and escape from the bad guys, you want a great villain, not some run of the mill droid, and Boba and crew provided that threat. I enoyed seeing Boba in the bad guy role trying to destroy R2 after seeing him on the fence in the previous episode.

13. TCWNoLettersHome

TCWNoLettersHome Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 26, 2009
    Perhaps in order to move that mass of material with the Force, Windu and Skywalker would've had to also lock against part of the structure of the bridge underneath them. Alternately, using the Force is something of a field effect diminishing with radius from the target, meaning the rest of the local area could feel some effect. In other words, it's not a scalpel, but more like the heat from a flame, burning at the center but still warm at a distance.

After all, holding the bridge steady and pushing debris away are two rather different activities.

It is interesting, in any case, that the gunship had to lock on to the bridge with cables in order for the clones to effect their simple rescue, after which point the bridge fell as predicted.

14. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004

Episode Highlights
    1. R2-D2 doing anything!... including falling down stairs and putting the smackdown on another droid! That is one well put-together little astomech!
    2. The stunning visuals of the downed Republic starship.
    3. Ahsoka smacking Anakin on the leg and Anakin wincing in pain. A nice touch at the end of the episode that gives us a little more insight into their relationship.

15. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    Wow, glad to see to this episode getting some more actual praise.

16. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I liked Aurra Sing and a lot of R2's scenes in this one.

His escape didn't do anything for Boba and crew and could have been handled better certainly.

Bossk speaking basic was a let down for me. It really affects the ambiance of the character. If he can or can't speak common is unimportant really, its the fact that the language he used in the films recieves no paly at all that bugged me the most.

There's plot holes here and a ton of ultra convienent timing, but some of that is to be expected. Still it was a little more than perhaps I would have ideally liked.

Thumbs in the middle for me. I liked Death Trap much better.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Really liked this episode- Artoo was great in it, though I disagree with the "treat Artoo as a dog" analysis Dave (and the episode title) suggests. I think there are some similarities, but I don't think they're because of people treating him like a dog, just that some of their reactions/interactions seem similar to that simply due to them being unable to understand droidspeak.

18. DaRonin

DaRonin Jedi Master star 1

Jan 3, 2005
    Personally, I think the trilogy has been very good. It could have been better, maybe with boba getting a partial revenge by killing a red-shirt jedi, but it was still highly entertaining. I think this episode was the strongest however because of the humor. Electro-prod enema FTW!

Seriously, I don't think we've ever seen artoo this nasty before. Some people were irked with ROTS and artoo going pyro-maniacal on that one droid, but this episode makes that look tame. artoo mirthfully whistling as he drops crates and thermal detonators on the heads of the bounty hunter, giving that gundark a three second joyride, aforementioned 10 gigawat rectal exam, and people say anakin is the one with dark side anger issues.

as for artoo escaping, I don't really have any problem with it. we know for a fact the jedi starfighter is more manueverable than the Slave 1, since an average to mediocre pilot like obi-wan was able to stay one step ahead of it in attack of the clones. how much so an astro-mech droid that is assigned to the greatest starpilot in the galaxy?

As for the escape and "you'll have one shot at this," well we know that the cannons in Star Wars run on a renewing energy source, and that since the starfighter is faster and more manueverable, it was likely already out of optimum range. I figure the "one shot" comes when the starfighter slows down to dock, and the slave one will have limited time to fire. artoo just played things fast and loose, waited until the gunner blew up the one pod, than quckly manuevered before the guns could recharge to their fullest power and jumped.

Simple.

19. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Say what? Recharge guns? Fullest power? Remember Ep2 when the Slave I fired a non-stop barrage of blaster fire at Obi-Wan? Where do you read "recharge time" and "fullest power" from that? Plus, Artoo is not out of range, otherwise Boba wouldn't be firing at him, so Boba should have plenty of time to destroy both rings while R2 went for one and then the other.

The most frustrating is that it would have been so simple to make this scene work. All it would take is for R2 to be actually out of firing range, which is understandable given that a nimble starfighter is supposed to be faster than a transport. The Slave I would only catch up to him when he stopped to dock with the ring, which could then allow Boba only a split second to destroy the ring before R2 jumped. Or R2 could remotely control the rings so that they lined up one in front of the other. While Boba destroyed the first one, not even seeing there was another behind it, R2 could dock with the 2nd one and get away.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It all depends on how you interpret Slave I's cannons in AOTC- since we see it hitting Obi-Wan several times, that stutter fire doesn't seem to be enough to take down a ship by itself, but rather wear down the shields to allow for easier, more powerful, kill shots (or to simpky let low powered shots eventually do enough damage).

In that scenario, then the stutter fire wouldn't be enough- slower, more pwoerful shots would be required.

21. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    What, to destroy a puny, unshielded, stationary hyper-ring? I think you overestimate its chances... Plus Boba didn't even have to destroy them, just damage them enough that they wouldn't operate properly.

22. DaRonin

DaRonin Jedi Master star 1

Jan 3, 2005
    Thats where the whole, range and one shot thing comes in, remember? Lets not forget just how maneuverable the jedi starfighter is.

as for the recharging cannons, the X-wing and Tie Fighter games may not be canonical, but I do think the tech they represent is.

Also, its usually best not to think too hard about star wars fiction. its usually a lot more contrived thin than what happens in Star Trek, I usually just take it for what it is. That said, I don't really have any problems with that scene, and think it worked well, even if we don't take into acct things like how artoo, anakin, mace and co cannot really die.

23. Gundark31

Gundark31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2010
    I wonder if it was George that forced them to make R2 the main character in this episode, the other writers seem smart enough to know that doing that would be a mistake.The episodes with Dooku being captured were straight from Lucas from what I understand and while I enjoyed them they too seemed to have mistakes that I don't think Filoni or the other people involved would have made.

I do think this episode was good and the parts with R2 were enjoyable they just didn't really belong in this trilogy, it would have worked much better as a standalone because Lassie in space doesn't really jive well with the Boba revenge arc.

I wish they would be more clear on the Lucas involvement, he seems to have a big part in the production.

24. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I don't think we have confirmation of where the story came from, but it does smell like one George's requests.

What I find a bit weird is that TCW is actively taking this approach of writing Artoo as a very clever dog. I never quite got that from the films, he always seemed like a normal character to me, just like Chewie (who also can't speak normally). I remember interviews where George says R2 is like a very smart and strong-willed child. That's quite different from a dog-like character.

25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I always considered Artoo to be child-like, and I don't see TCW as continually making him appear dog-like. I think that in this particular instance he was "dog-like" because the whole scenario looked like it was taking directly from Lassie. I don't think the Artoo-dog comparison really goes beyond that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.