main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 222: Lethal Trackdown Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowburn

Slowburn Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 22, 2010
    Definitely. Really, despite being a cartoon, I don't see "The Clone Wars" as being much of a kid's show. It's more of a treasure trove for the older fans. Sure, kids could watch it and pick up a little but but to those who have been watching "Star Wars" for years it's a little overwhelming with what we see. The films are great but they only give you limited exposure to the old characters as well as the underused characters such as Aurra Sing. And you're right, there are quite a few elements that aren't exactly kid friendly; well, to the isolationist parents mostly. The violence isn't much to the rest of us but it is a little shocking to see. This could open up anything.

And, uh, for the record I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of Aurra. ;)

2. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but I didn't like that Bossk could speak English. I would have preferred him to have been speaking in some growling reptilian language and then have subtitles used.

3. Slowburn

Apr 22, 2010
    Yeah, I noticed that. Seemed a little out of character. It was good to see him though.

4. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    That's my biggest problem with the show so far actually: the dearth of alien languages. This whole "make the character seem alien by giving them a real-life accent" thing doesn't quite work for me. They all sound like a bunch tourists from Europe or something. Embo was a step in the right direction though.

Plus Bossk already spoke in an alien language IIRC in The Empire Strikes Back, so there is a canonical precedent for him. [face_frustrated]

5. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    But haven't we seen the bad ass comrade of the crew that can't speak Basic so many times before?? Having Embo only 3 or so episodes earlier do it and then have Bossk do it would have been a little irritating for me.

6. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    There was Embo - who else was like that? I can't remember. Poggle was.

I would like a 50/50 mix of Basic and Alien Language between all the weird aliens, please. And subtitles! Mmmm... subtitles.

C'mon man - remember Karina?

give me subtitles or give me death

7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I'd like a conversation which is completely on alien language and with subtitles. I find it weird that people who clearly know each other's languages (like Rodian and Human) speak both on their own languages. When I speak to foreigner, we either use my language or his/her, not both of them.
    The weirdest was of course in Bombad Jedi, where Onaconda spoke Basic to another Rodian and he answered in Rodian. Didn't feel natural.

8. ChrisMathers

ChrisMathers Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2008
    I just had a thought. Now that Fett's in a Republic prison, anyone think he'll run into Sergeant Slick at some point?

9. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Did Han and Chewie bother you in the films? Or Luke and R2 for that matter?

10. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Great idea. Even if he's just seen in a shot or two, it would be a nice homage to the Season 1 Episode.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    As others have said, they definitely should have had Bossk speak his own language (as in ESB), with subtitles, instead of Basic. But maybe they decided they already screwed that up anyway when they had a previous Trandoshan character speak Basic. Or they think TCW viewers don't want to read subtitles, which is annoying because the films had their fair share of subtitles.

Also, I agree with Garth Maul about the intentional aspect of Plo Koon's arrogance regarding the Jedi. Keep in mind that this is set before ROTS, and that the Jedi saying this is not one of the two who survive to the OT (meaning we don't get to see those that die in Order 66 have a chance to have any revelations).

12. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010

no, but we've seen that quite a few times, and not too long before this arc we had the character of Embo which was the non-basic speaking partner that everyone understood and we had R2 as a central character in the same episode that first featured Bossk speaking playing that role as well. It may not be a fan favorite, but I think having him speak Basic in this appearance was actually a good idea.

13. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Okay, assuming that everyone is at the same super max prison, I can buy that as long as it doesn't get anymore overcrowded, would Boba Fett be there given his age?

What does the SW galaxy do with jouvenile deliquents?

14. Slowburn

Apr 22, 2010
    Good question. For the sake of storyline, though, he'd probably be tried as an adult. After all, Cad Bane breaking into a minimum security facility to rescue him wouldn't be very entertaining would it? [face_laugh]

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Maybe he and Jaybo could start a gang. ;)

16. Slowburn

Apr 22, 2010
    If only to contrast the darkness of Boba's true inner workings, sure. Let's go for that. Rest assured, however, that Boba would shoot him pretty quickly after they got out. [face_chicken]

17. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, enough idle speculation for me. :p

This rounds up the Boba story arc, and the season, and I'd say that my general feelings about it are about the same as the Ryloth trilogy from last season: It's okay. It of course makes sense that Boba would want to kill Mace, but in the great scheme of things....who cares? It's set in stone beyond all reasonable doubt that he's not going to succeed, and the net effect to the Republic was the loss of a single ship or so.

There were some entertaining parts sprinkled through the trilogy, like R2 evading the bounty hunters and barging into the Jedi Temple. But I thought these were pretty few and far between.

Not entirely sure what's up with TCW and big 3-parters that get overshadowed by one or two-part stories, like the Bane episode at the end of season 1, or the Zillo Beast arc this season. Better luck next time, I suppose.

18. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010
    The problem with Boba (and Mace) in this arc is that he's already a well established character whose fate we know of well into his adulthood and we already know the fate of Mace Windu...so much of the dramatic tension is lost because we know some of what's gonna happen next. Unlike with the Cad Bane episodes which has an original character to the show that we know little about background wise and we do not know the fate of in the future. So when we see Cad Bane's life threatened....we're actually surprised somewhat by the outcome.

Take it when people saw A New Hope and were watching Ben and Vader duel. Because no one knew what happened to Obi-Wan afterwards before seeing a ANH in 1977, some were stunned to see him die cause won't sure if he was gonna live or not. Now when we see the prequels and see Ben in deadly situations...we're not as surprised when he lives cause we know he doesn't die at this point.

When we see Mace threatened in this arc, we don't grip the edge of our seat as much cause we know the attempt on his life will undoubtedly fail. Why do we need to grip our seats? ya know?

19. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Took a quick look at Bossk's scene in ESB. I know it sounds a lot more complex than simple animalistic hissing, and the subtitles say he's speaking an alien language, but it seems like an awful lot to get worked up over. It's like two and a half seconds. :confused:

Then again, I do understand that it would have added a lot more variety and awesomeness if he hadn't spoken Basic. Ah well, maybe Boba doesn't speak Trandoshan. XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.