The Clone Wars: Episode 222: Lethal Trackdown Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Gry Sarth, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kualan Force Ghost

star 4
    That would be an interesting little forum game; taking a line such as Plo Koon's "We ARE justice." and then seeing what people think other Jedi would have said in the same position.
  2. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    I find Plo's "We are justice" reminding me very much of Palaptine's "I am the Senate!".

It's perhaps not as outright evil a proclamation as Palpatine's, but I think it does beg some examination of exactly what Plo means by his words. Clearly in confronting Boba and Aurra he's on the higher moral ground, yet the statement is pretty broad and I dare say pompous for a Jedi.
  3. Drewton Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, agreed. It was like claiming the Jedi to be perfect...when the show itself has shown them to not be.
  4. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
  5. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    With a terrific basso profundo voice like that, I'd be pretty darn pompous myself. :p

Oddly enough, I DO find myself agreeing with you guys that the statement itself can be taken as a sign of arrogance, self-righteousness, etc., though my take is that's when it's used for the larger galaxy view. Then again, Plo is a fairly traditional Jedi, all things considered, and they're raised to view the galaxy as a whole and themselves as its universal peacekeepers.

Personally, aside from defending the honour of the Jedi, I think Plo was trying to get across to Boba that what he was doing was wrong, and that he was essentially making 'good' (or, to be specific, the-forces-that-are-trying-to-save-innocent-lives) out to be evil, or rather, his enemy. He's trying to make it clear that his actions (destroying a Venator and all in it, holding hostages, seeking revenge) aren't what one should consider the pursuit of justice, but that he's dealing with the very agents of justice in a purer form, one that is about valuing life, which they certainly upheld, and restoring balance, which...is ambiguous given that Boba DID have his dad killed in front of him.

So to sum up: I think he's basically saying "No, what you're looking for isn't justice, and you'd better think carefully about what you're doing or you're going to find yourself neck deep in the real deal." It's a warning, a correction, an attempt to reach out to a young boy, and the first step in trying to find where the hostages are, all rolled into one. Whether it's accurate, justified, or whatnot is, to some extent, a matter of perspective. ;)
  6. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    You refer to the same courts that take even longer than the Senate to decide cases, and may possibly be as corrupt as the rest of the Republic government?
  7. Robonino Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not a bad episode. I'm of the opinion that they sorta wrecked things with Boba Fett... maybe his backstory was best left alone.
  8. Fettclone1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Checking in late yet again.

I had prepared for the worst with Boba but was pleasantly surprised with how they handled him. In fact the only real problems I had with the last three episodes were minor issues with other characters and circumstances.

Also, seeing and hearing the Slave 1 so often does my heart good.

4 helmets out of 5.
  9. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    So, I take it that we're completely writing off the young Boba Fett novels now?

Aurra and Boba have worked together before. She tried to kill him then, and now he's upset because she double crosses him?

Daniel Logan, you're great as a kid, but your dialogue has been god awful.

"You started it mr windu! Its not my fault!"
    Gah.

I was more than a little let down by this episode.

But hey! Hondo was in it, and he's growing on me. I want to see him and Bane do an episode.

Destroying Slave 1, Jango's armor, and imprisoning Boba? Not cool, and not a good way to end a season.

You just took the titular ensemble darkhorse character, and beat the S*** out his character.
  10. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    Lucas has been beating the crap out of the titular ensemble darkhorse character since 1983. [face_dancing]

Seriously though, he's still just a kid (who lacks the Force no less). He's not going to be able to kick ass when he's still too inexperienced; if he could, people would then complain that young Boba was too skilled for his age and experience level. All things considered, I thought young Boba was handled well enough by TCW.
  11. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    I see what you did there:)

If only they could make his voice a little better.
  12. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    Personally, I'm not quite sure why Daniel Logan was brought back anyway other than to serve as a publicity stunt for the season finale, but that's just me being a cynic. [face_blush]
  13. swcolts1977 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Together with R2 Come Home, this episode is one of the best of season. Dave did a great job writing and directing. The animation was once again stunning, especially with Florrum and the bar, WOW!

Aurra and Hondo's relationship really surprised me, but it was hilarious! Hondo is one of the best new characters from the Clone Wars.

The final chase scene was maybe a little short, but very nicely animated, when Slave I crashed I was like WTK! but I knew both Aurra and it were fine because it crashed behind a cliff.

Plo Koon and Ahsoka make a great team, need more of that in Season 3. I felt Boba grew here as a character, but I have a feeling thats not the last we've seen of him in TCW, I wish Bossk could have maybe done a little more, too.

Overall, these two episodes felt like a mini Star Wars film, everything that was great in season 2 was seen in these episodes, and the just felt like classic Star Wars to me, bring on season 3!
  14. ArrogantJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    It was very deliberate that Slave I crashed behind the mountain. I wouldn't be at all suprised if Hondo has it repaired and when Boba Fett escapes prison he may give it back to him on the condition that he undertakes his first big job as a bounty hunter...solo, or something like that. No doubt when it is rebuilt, perhaps there may be some slight enhancements too for all we know, because we didn't see it do much in the OT apart from fly around.
  15. rumblewagon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    You should look on the bright side. They didn't try to cram some ill-conceived, weird love interest between Boba and Ahsoka into the episode as well. See! Already you feel better!

Of course the protrayal of a 10-12 yr. old boy is not going to match the same perception of the 30+ yr. old, ruthless and cunning bounty hunter we first saw in ESB.

Which reminds me...what other Star Wars character clad in cool armor with a cool helmet - mysterious, cold, ruthless - caused fans to voice their displeasure when the portrayal of said character as a young boy didn't match their pre-conceived notions of what the younger version should be like? Hmmmmmmm........
  16. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Just had a weird thought for why Ponds gave a different number. Mind you, it's probably (in fact, most likely) a writer's error, but still, any help is welcome. XD

What if the NAVAL OFFICER was CT-411, a hostage of relatively little value compared to a commander and an admiral, someone that would most likely be picked out of a lineup to kill? What if Commander Ponds was lying to protect him? Granted, that gives rise to the issue that Aurra and Boba are too stupid to recognise he's wearing the gear of a commander, but still. Wolffe didn't wear armor in his first appearance, neither did Ponds. It's possible, if incredibly roundabout...

Even if it wasn't CT-411, it's still possible that Ponds was giving a trooper number all the same to make sure the others lived for a little while longer.

Eh, crazy, I know, but if you can read into each sentence spoken by Plo Koon, you can read into things like that. [face_laugh]
  17. Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think they are trying to make Aurra come off as an abusive mother figure to Boba. True, she may have tried to kill him once, but does Boba really have anyone else. Maybe as the show goes on, Boba will distrust Aurra, but still constantly find himself unable to resist teaming up with her. It's a lot like how some people know their fathers or mother are abusive to them and are not very good people, but they end up becoming attached to them and actually have trouble living without that abuse. Given that Boba's a clone, whose father figure was killed, has witnessed a war start right in front of him, and has been forced to live on his own, and now he's stuck in jail(likely tried as an adult) with only a crazy Trandoshan to give him any support...Aurra comes off as Susy Homemaker or Little Debbie or somethin'.

As far as Pond's number goes, is it possible that the clone troopers are sometimes given different numbers depending on certain circumstances. I would think that if numbers 342 and 287 are given a good blaster bolt to the dome, it might get a bit of a mess to keep having to skip numbers during roll call. My theory is that Ponds had one number and then when he was given a promotion, some other clone was killed, OR was reassigned in some way, he was a given a certain number on the roll call sheet that made it easier and faster to keep track of who was dead and alive in an army of lookalikes. This may have been why Aurra was irritated as by giving a number, he purposely belittled himself and made himself come off as less of an important hostage. That's the theory I worked on anyway...

With the way they made this episode. I can't help but feel they made the ending with Mace and Boba such a cop out and made the Slave 1 look like it was destroyed to add some degree of ambiguity as to what will happen to these characters later in the show.

Note: I like Boba is sent to jail with Bossk for some reason. I guess it makes it seem like they're homeboys stuck in the slammer together or somethin' Even though Bossk isn't the most trustworthy guy.
  18. maderic Force Ghost

star 3
    The arc was good and bad for me. It made me really like Aurra Sing, an EU character I previously had no taste for. She was handled very well. I didn't like what the second half of Lethal Trackdown became: Ahsoka saves the day, Boba the whiny brat (who, in my opinion, should not have the moral difficulties with killing people that the show gave him; he grew up around this, and has known it his entire life so why would he suddenly be torn?), destroying Jango's helmet was a big no-no, and blowing up the Slave 1 was utterly baffling. I am to assume then that Aurra is dead?
  19. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    Jango Fett did not routinely take hostages and executue them whenever he felt like it, so no Boba would not have grown up seeing such things enough to be used to them.
  20. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    No, now I just feel nauseous.[face_sick]
  21. Mond Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Just now saw it.

So we have two characters shot through the head execution-style, along with a joke about Hondo possibly knocking up Aurra Sing, with that followed by innuendo that seemed to suggest Hondo couldn't "perform" for Aurra?

When are the "think about the children!" types going to start flipping out over this show?
  22. Slowburn Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Just finished Season II and absolutely loved it. This was one of the better episodes in my opinion. It gave us a better insight into the head of Boba post-"Attack" and it touched down on some of the grittier parts of the universe, which I've always been fond of.

Mond: I'm not sure, but I love that "The Clone Wars" are going into a darker realm with this episode. Hope to see more of it next season.
  23. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Exactly!
  24. Darth_Gamek Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Random thought:

Maybe Plo Koon tried to grab both Aurra and Bob'ika with the Force, but Aurra used some Force trick to get away.

And in prison, wouldn't it be cool to see Bob'ika lose it and beat the crap out of Bossk.
  25. Mond Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    The show has always had it's darker moments ("There's your bonus!"), but with the Bane brutality and then this episode, they are taking it into the ESB/RotS level. Nice! I love it, but I'm worried that some parents' groups or whatever will start complaining. I'm glad the show is on as "late" as it is.

Happily, I don't think it will matter too much even if it does happen. Say what you will about Lucas, he seems to honestly not care what anyone thinks and just goes ahead and does what he wants. So thanks to that I think Aurra, Bane, Honda and the rest of the Clone Wars scumbags and sadists are going to have free reign to do whatever they want. :D

The thing about the violence I am talking about is that it's not noble die-in-combat stuff. It's all murder. Characters are coldly gunning each other down execution-style so they can get a little more money. It's kind of like watching Goodfellas or something almost. [face_laugh]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.