main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 301: Clone Cadets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    I agree with you Gry, but perhaps that's the only way to even have ARC Troopers into an episode at this point, without messing with continuity.

2. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    What? They could have had the same ARC Trooper characters in Clone Cadets, only switching their armour for Phase I. They could easily replicate the same paint scheme, which would make it a nice bridge to seeing the same paint scheme on Phase 1.5 armour in the later ARC Troopers episode.

Man, I hate that now it gets very confusing while writing, whether one means ARC Troopers the soldier class or the episode...

3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Not that long ago we were discussing how much effort goes into developing new designs in regards to Ahsoka. Why would the Arc Troopers be any different? Maybe they used the same designs for logistical reasons of that sort.

Sometimes we just have to let stuff go, like the Gran Jedi in Jabba's palace.

4. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    But that's my point, there is no logistical reason. They already have the Phase I Arc Trooper model ready to use. It's called "Captain Rex", they just needed to swap some textures and add some accessories here and there.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I agree with both of you.

6. CameronKMcEwan

CameronKMcEwan Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2010
    I posted a review over at Den of Geek:

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/606331/star_wars_the_clone_wars_season_3_episode_1_review_clone_cadets.html

Great opener.

7. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Tell you the truth I enjoyed this episode more than I thought I would considering I'm not a big clone fan. Yes, the final test was predictable, but then again what would be the point of the episode if they were to fail and become maintenance clones?(and of course we know these are the clones in 'Rookies', so their fate was pretty much set in stone even before this episode aired) But I found myself getting taken in by the training exercises and the interactions between the characters.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I simply love the scene between Bric and Cutup.

9. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    I finally caught this episode on the official site, I must say that I am thoroughly impressed. I mean, the use of Phase 2 armor by the Arcs is strange, I'll admit, but then again it does make sense to me that the ARCs would be the first to use the armor if indeed the Phase 2 armor was more about function than simply show. I think Filoni said in his commentary that he wanted the ARCs to be wearing experimental armor which is later given to all the clones by the time of Revenge of the Sith. So it's all good. I really liked the interaction between the characters, though at times I was confused as to the mercenary, Brick's, motivation for being such a ****. My guess was that he just wanted them to succeed, but at the same time their failures brought out his anger and indifference. Kinda like a dad who wants his kids to succeed a little too badly.

I also really enjoyed just seeing more of the inner workings of the GAR. You have bad batch clones used for simple tasks, you have this constant venturing and clashing of the clones' personal ethics on their individualism and collectivism. I was really happy with how the series has turned out. I must say.

Also, it's great to see Shaak Ti. lol

Well Spar went AWOL and look at his success. lol

10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Rex is not an Arc Trooper even if thats where they got his armor from.:p Trying to make sense of this isn't healthy.

11. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    it may be that Rex's armor was a hand me down from an ARC...or maybe Rex is an ARC...I can't remember, somebody skool me.

12. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    As far as we know Rex is not an ARC trooper.

Though I hope we see an episode where he earned his Jaig eyes.

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well for those people that wanted different colors of lasers, now you have a gold/yellow/orange hybrid and a cyan/teal/turqouise hybrid. Even though those are simulation lasers, that does kind of give you the entire rainbow in this clone war series. Now we only need yellow and orange colored lightsabers and you have the rainbow in that area. Not bad though

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Finally getting around to posting my thoughts:

I didn't pay attention to any of the stuff out there about this episode before it came out (just the generic season 3 previews and what Filoni said at CV) so 99 came as a surprise. When he was first introduced, I was a bit hesitant about the idea of a clone that's clearly "defective" (certainly from the Kaminoans' point of view), but it actually worked out quite well, I thought (particularly with ARC Troopers, but also here).

The idea of a struggling unit finally getting it together and becoming an elite team is somewhat cliche, but it still managed to be very well done. I loved how we got to see more of the guys we saw in Rookies, including the ones who died at Rishi outpost. Rookies was already a very good episode, and I think this one made that one even more meaningful and powerful.

I liked the scenario the clones had to pass in training, though I would have liked it had it been a little more varied and not the same exercise every single time.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The variation at the end was pretty cool, seemed like droids were coming out of nowhere.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Eh, just a little, perhaps. It was still pretty much the exact same run we'd already seen 3 times previously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.