main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 303: Supply Lines Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Had to see the episode again. The right flank was the only passage, but they didn't have enough time to evacuate all those families. With the left flank blocked, the front was the only way for the droids, and Master Di fought there to buy more time for the twi'leks.

2. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    Actually there were three roads, and Di closes one. But if the twi'lek could't escape through the right flank before ("the right flank has fallen"), then why can they do it once Di demolishes the left flank? Why does closing the left flank forces the droid Forces to attack solely from the front and not from the right flank (which they had already taken) as well?[/quote]

Because the droids would have attack from two sides. By closing one side off they could put all their resources into defending one area because they could not defend both and allow for the others to get away in time.

3. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I understand that closing the left flank makes it a bit easier to hold off the droids. However, I still don't see what escape route the twi'leks would have, even with some extra bought time. The droids were closing in from the front, the left flank was blocked and the right flank had fallen into enemy hands. The only explanation I can think of is that by "escape to the mountains" they actually mean that the twi'leks would climb those huge sheer cliffs out of there.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Or the mountains were impossible for the droids to pass. Maybe a narrow path. They led us to think that escaping to or through the mountains is a safe way for the twi'leks.

5. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah this was a pretty pointless episode. I didn't care for it too much all the way through.

I'm okay with Jar Jar's part in it, didn't ruin anything as far as I'm concerned.

The trade federation debacle popping up again, with all its weird contradictions and Lott Dod basically speaking for the separatists, but at the same time calling Gunray an extremist... it's very vague.

No suspense in the battle thanks to Dave Filoni.

What else? Oh yeah, for once they're killing off a Jedi Master and he doesn't even die at the hands of Grievous. Another huge missed opportunity for the good general to finally kill a full-fledged Jedi, but noooooo...

I'm guessing Grievous got all those lightsabers at E-bay.

Bleh.

6. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    But if the mountains were a safe way for the twi'leks, then Keeli's line "There's no leaving, we're stuck here together" doesn't make any sense. Sure, it helps their escape if Di can hold off the droids a while longer, but if they always had a safe mountain pass, they were never stuck there.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I guess the climb solution will have to do, then. [face_thinking]

8. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    ...if only they had a monkey-lizard with them, we wouldn't be debating this.

9. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    Except that it's his fictional universe. So whatever he does is, by definition, 'right.'
    That doesn't mean I like everything he does. What it does mean is Star Wars isn't mine or yours, and it's not up to us to decide what should or shouldn't be in it.

Star Wars does not belong to us people. We have no ownership in it.

10. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    So you either hate it, love it, or don't feel strongly which leads you to hate it. I see.

Then I challenge you to listen to my podcast. Josh and I generally like these episodes, and makes many "I liked this" comments. And yet we have much discussion.

Not saying this to hawk my show. But simply to show that you can like a show, notice details (without nitpicking) and have a fruitful discussion. The hate isn't required.

11. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    1. Fuel. That's what I took from "don't have the range."

2. The supposedly neutral TF ships would be attacked by the CIS forces beacause the CIS would view Toydaria as an enemy, and would attack ships coming to the aid of Toydaria.

3. Because they couldn't all leave through the mountains. It would be a slaughter. But if the clones and Di hold off the invading droids, the twileks could escape that way.

12. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Then why move the supplies from one ship to another? Can't they just refuel the blockade runners somewhere between Coruscant and Ryloth? How can galaxy-wide travel work if there's nothing like simple fuel stations along hyperspace routes?

13. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    Not sure. But there could easily be a reason. Maybe reorganizing them since this might be the only shipment. Maybe moving them onto some extra ships.

I agree no reason is given and it's a bit unexpected. But still...

14. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    I think there's a sad precedent for the spoiler by LFL - didn't one of the RotS trailers show a quick shot of Gunray being killed? I vaguely recall being annoyed by something like that.

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Okay, I kept quite for sometime, but, the first three episodes aren't really new per say. Yeah, better animation and what not, but this stuff is re-tread stuff from season 1. How many more prequels/sequels are we going to have? This is starting to remind me of the Young Indiana Jones TV series of th 90's. You have all these episodes that fit into movies. Not bad, but I'm hoping for some new content.

Another thing that I'm noticing, is that must we have every quote from the movies make and appaerance in the cartoon series? I mean, I want this to be orginal. Other than that, the series looks better than ever

16. Rexter-fangirl

Rexter-fangirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2010
    *waves a little Clone Cast flag* Yay for that podcast~ :)

17. Nitroz

Nitroz Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2010
    So here's my primary issue:

Season 1 - First Episode: King Katuunko & Toydaria join the Republic Cause after Yoda bests Asajj Ventress' forces
    Season 3 - Third Episode: King Katuunko & Toydaria are firm in their neutral ideals but may possibly join the Republic.

I've come to learn that The Clone Wars isnt exactly a linear series but sometimes I think this kind of stuff is just ridiculous, there's no real way to know Episode by Episode how far along into the Clone Wars we are, unless you research it online or just sort of know. Lol.

18. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Supply Lines took place before Ambush, just like Clone Cadets took place before Rookies. The episodes don't have to happpen one right after the other in chronological event order. I don't think it's so bad to go back in the time line every once in a while.

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Gry - your comments are exactly what I meant when I said they served the plot of the episode
    But shouldn't be looked at too closely. :p

Like Wedge, I assumed they needed fuel, but I also assumed they actually needed the supplies from Toydaria as well. I kinda just thought the blockade runners were in the area but unequipped.

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Honestly, trepidations aside, I thought this was an excellent episode. There is some continuity questions that get raised but this can be said about almost every epsiode at this point some I'm going to gloss over them right now.

Master Di & Clones vs the Battle Droids battle scenes were honestly some of the very best this series has offered so far. Sure it was anti-climatic and Di is a stupid name, but go past that. I really though his final stand was very moving with a good musical score attached.

Even the politics seemed to work with the Toydarians ending up going through illegal(but justified) means to do what was right.

I really think this episode has excellent replay value. I mean did you not watch ESB again once you found out Vader was Luke's father?

There was a lot to like in this episode and the positives far outweigh the negatives.

But don't fear Gry;), I'm sure they will be back to pointless lightsaber duels between Obi-Wan and Grievous at somepoint in the coming weeks. As well both Grievous and Ventress have yet to lose to a bunch of Jedi, so there is that to look forward to as well.

I do get the sinking feeling that this will be my favorite Season 3 episode, but anyway - two thumbs up from me.

21. CameronKMcEwan

CameronKMcEwan Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2010
    My review of ep 3 over at Den of Geek:

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/612208/star_wars_the_clone_wars_season_3_episode_3_review_supply_lines.html

Not so keen on this one.

22. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    That's exactly what bugs me, when events are made to happen simply so that a specific scene can take place, not becuse it makes sense. It's obvious that they wanted to create a story where Jar Jar has to convince and help Toydaria in sending aid to Ryloth. Fine and dandy, but this being a prequel episode, they soon realized there were several limitations to that storyline. Toydaria couldn't really send stuff to Ryloth without losing neutrality. So the plot kept on devolving into its final state, where it no longer makes sense cause Toydaria is simply being used as a parking lot.

Yeah, that's what I assumed at first. Only upon second viewing I started to really hear all that they were saying and realized that both the ship with supplies and the blockade runners had been dispatched by the Jedi, with Toydaria playing practically no role in the whole affair (even though it seems they are actually doing something very noble).

23. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    Having avoided all speculation, I really enjoyed this, as did my 4-year old - best one of the season so far for us.

It probably helps that I have a soft spot for Jar Jar when done right, and here he definitely was. Also, Ambush is my favourite episode of the whole series, so this was an unexpected treat. I spent the whole episode annoyed at Katunko for not honouring his pledge to Yoda, and annoyed at Syndulla for backsliding on his alliance with Mace, and then was delighted to find out we were in prequel land (again). I think this chronological uncertainty really adds to the experience of 'Secrets Revealed'.

So, this Trade Federation business. Fair enough, the TF Battleships we see in Episode III are covered in that blue hexagonal flag livery of the CIS, explicitly identifying them as Separatist rather than TF. This is materiel sold by the TF to worlds backing the CIS, crewed by Neimoidian 'extremists' and mercenaries, with their Viceroy going off half-cocked and trying to murder Seantors from Naboo. I'm sure no-one believes this, but how do you prove it to the corrupt mire of the Republic Senate? Maybe we're building to a story where the TF are expelled from the Republic Senate - that'd be pretty cool. I do think this sort of wiggle-room adds a useful dynamic to the story, and I'm glad it wasn't abandoned after the unlovely Senate Spy.

I also assume that the Separatist Council of Episode III now have to be seen as representing something analogous to the Loyalist Council of Episode II, i.e. a group of senior delegates to the Separatist Senate most intimately involved in the running of the war, and probably aware of its Sith backing and evil purpose. This makes sense to me, if i squint real hard.

I don't agree that Republic senators should stay on Coruscant and vote, and let diplomats do their thing - this is a Space Fantasy Adventure, not Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and all the characters should get to have Fantastic Adventures in Space.

I did think there was a missed chance for Lott Dod to point out that it was warmongering Representative Binks who proposed the adoption of the Grand Army of the Republic in the first place, and thus was responsible for the pre-emptive strike that kicked off the Clone Wars, but you can't have anything...

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Excellent point. I would never thought about that.

25. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    That would have been great, but possibly a little subtle for the younger audience? It seems most of the time when they want to make a connection, they beat us over the head with it. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.