The Clone Wars: Episode 303: Supply Lines Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Gry Sarth, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It's also ironic that we're presumably going to see a Separatist victory for once, too bad we know there are three earlier/later episodes destroying the Separatists by land, sea and air [face_laugh]
  2. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Yeah... right.... Well, we'll get MORE pissed!! :mad:
  3. mighty_mouse_droid Jedi Master

star 1
    Well at least they explained where this episode takes place timewise, even though I think that would have been obvious if we watched the episode. I don't have a problem with jumping around the timeline as long as we KNOW how it's jumping.

Imagun Di's name may be outlandishly obvious, but even if he had a perfectly good, legit Jedi name, I still would have expected him to die/sacrifice himself because:

1) these events are going to take place before the Ryloth occupation (HEY, we might actually get a full fledged Separatist VICTORY here!)

2) Di simply...doesn't look or feel like a reoccurring character, not like Hondo, or Cham for that matter. (and I'm not referring to his species)

I hope that the Ryloth part of the episode takes time to focus on Cham Syndulla and not just the-soon-to-be-dead Jedi Master.

Oh, and since he is gonna die, I just hope they haven't placed a Jar Jar scene immediately afterwards, because that's just gonna ruin it further.
  4. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    You and me both, man...

I guess I'm also looking forward to the commercial for Sphere of Influence. Maybe there will be Separatists there.
  5. SpecialOpsUnit Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm just looking forward to the Ryloth battle, from the preview it looks on the site it looks great and to see that new clone commander in action.

This episode will probably help explain how Ryloth was taken and why Cham doesn't trust the Jedi(anymore apparently) and the Republic. From the looks of it the supplies will not get there and Cham Syndulla and his men will have to go into hiding.

The question this episode brings up though is, does Ambush occur much later than when we expected? Probably so now.
  6. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    No, because Wild Space places Duel ofthe Droids right after the film, and the webcomic for Ambush shows Skytop Station. If anything, the Ryloth trilogy has to be moved up.
  7. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    I still don't quite understand why Toydaria was the only planet that could have helped Ryloth...
  8. Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think this episode will turn out to be okay. My theory is that the Republic will not get trandysha to help out, Di and the clone army will die on land and in space, the republic will decide they cannot afford to send reinforcements so Charm will lose faith in the Republic for not sending aid. I see nothing that is a contradiction yet. This episode can work.

And as far as chrologically you guys need to stop relying on those web comics so much. They are just comics, not the show themselves, they ain't even that good anyway.
  9. Humble_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    This just has to be a separatist victory...

Maybe we're just too jumpy about all this. I can't imagine them to be so dense that they're actually disregarding Syndulla's story as it was established earlier.

I think/hope we're in for some surprise.

It would be the ultimate twist if Di didn't die in this one, but in an upcoming episode. Then Dave could go all 'I never said he would die in his first episode!' [face_laugh] Heck it would be the ultimate joke if this would become an often-seen character. We'd be anxious in every episode he appeared in, only to see him die together with Ahsoka in the very last episode of the series.
  10. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    That scenario could indeed work quite well. However, I REALLY doubt they would go down such a gritty, depressing route for an episode starring Jar Jar. I just can't see Jar Jar failing to gain Katuunko's support for his cause. As inept as Jar Jar is, he always seems to accomplish his goals, one way or another.
  11. Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Knight

star 2
    True, if it wasn't for jar-jar (and I'm not even a jar-jar hater) I would be really looking forward to this.
  12. Koonster Jedi Knight

star 2
    As much as I would love that to be true, I believe that the scene where he looks up from his dead Commander is just too perfect for him to live. But this bring up a thought; with Colt and now Ima-Gun's commander, I think that killing commanders may be a recurring theme in this season. Maybe, one per arc? [face_plain]
  13. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "When there's a will, there's a way".

I smell Jar-Jar.
  14. SpecialOpsUnit Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't say that. They introduce these bad*** clones and then kill them off. :(

Also like Humble_Jedi has said this has to be a big Separatist victory. Dao's death? Check. General Di's death? Check. Ryloth under Separatist control? Check.
  15. Rexter-fangirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    I KNOW! RIP Ponds. :(

I can just hope Master Di commanded him to play dead :p

So far (since Di's name may have confirmed his fate and we see his commander on the ground) 3 out of the 6 characters on this forums'd banner have been killed off :p
  16. MadameLibrarian Jedi Padawan

My thoughts exactly.
  17. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    You realize those comics are still part of canon, right? o_O
  18. FistoFan93 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Of course, but to a certain extent. I think this episode could work. And if it doesn't? We'll have 19 other episodes to look forward to!
  19. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Wow. I didn't think we'd be busting out the vitriol so early on. Apparently, I underestimated what it means to be part of the Star Wars fandom. :p

But yeah, I see the points behind this. Continuity and the EU is something very near and dear to some fans and viewers, and the show has been playing fast and loose with that a lot as of late. I can understand that this would become a festering wound to many.
    In their defense, though, the odds are somewhat against them: Star Wars EU is massive. GL's veto powers are formidable. The fans are destined to find something to complain about no matter what. They have to consider NEW viewers. They have to consider making these things work for television, not a movie or novel. Any attempts at drama or tension have been done before in popular culture. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Still, I don't think it's a wreck unless proven otherwise, and here's my reasoning...
    -The Republic force can be justified as a small one sent to secure their member planets, and I do believe Ryloth is still part of the Republic due to Orn Free Taa representing them. The force isn't big, it's not something that can carry out an armed occupation...Just one that can cooperate with the local military, not a full blown planetary blockade and guard. Now why would they guard Ryloth with a relatively small force? Well...
    In one of the webcomics, Wat Tambor's tactical droid comments that Ryloth's importance isn't exactly major. Wat Tambor basically ramps up its priority to a full scale invasion simply because he wants to get one up on his political rivals and increase his own prestige, something the Republic wouldn't be privy to. To them, Ryloth would still be low on the Confederacy's list of targets, so they would focus their troops elsewhere where the threat was more substantial.

-Cham Syndulla may not trust the Republic, but he also doesn't want his people to die. I could see him working with the Republic because 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. He might even have a sort of respect for these people who put their lives on the line for a planet not their own. Besides which, he could develop some resentment by thinking that the Republic military force 'invited' Wat Tambor to invade.
    Also of note, Cham's beef isn't necessarily with the Jedi or clones, but the Senate and Orn Free Taa. He's cocky to Mace Windu and the ARF Troopers, sure, but he's not turning them away or outright suspecting they're there for the worst of reasons. He has doubts, but he hears them out and takes them to his hideout. So I don't think his attitude can be made too extreme.

-*I think they'll go the serious route and have the Republic's mission fail. What I've seen in the show's development gives me some reason to think this way. They got smarter about having less 'super padawan Ahsoka'. They got smarter about having antagonists BESIDES Ventress and Grievous. They got smarter about having the villains be more of a credible threat. They got smarter about minimising battle droid humour. That's why I think they might get smart about the whole "Jar Jar is a moron but he solves everything" bit. At the very least, the Republic might only succeed in persuading Katuunko to meet with the Jedi. :p

((*Yes, yes, they still have much to learn and it's not perfect by any means, but I think there's been progress all the same. :D))

...Yes, I am an extreme optimist, perhaps even slightly deluded. I understand that based on what we've seen so far, it is also logical to assume what we've been assuming all along: Bad episode, wasted effort, continuity steamroll, facepalm. But I figure optimism enhances my personal viewing experience. :p
  20. Senator Kelberry Force Ghost

star 3
    Well it all comes back to the age old truth that you can't please all the people all the time. Someone will always have a problem with something. I like the comment on NEW viewers too, as I happen to be one. Prior to this series my sum total of experience with Star Wars was the six films and the X-Wing/Tie Fighter video games. Period. I haven't even seen the original clone wars series, mainly because I still can't get around that animation style. There is such a huge volume of material that takes place in the Star Wars universe that most people who come into it, especially this late in the game, have to pick and choose what parts of it they're exposed to. The consequence is some people will be frustrated when the series contradicts something, while others who haven't read or seen quite as much scratch their heads wondering why everyone else is so angry.

You can't judge a book by it's cover. Every episode gets a chance, and who knows? Maybe tomorrow night I'll be back to say just how terrible the episode actually was and how it supplants "The Gungan General" as the worst episode in the series. Or, I'll be here saying that it was a truly enjoyable piece of writing. Or maybe I'll be saying something in between. Until I actually see the episode, I can't know for sure.
  21. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yeah, you're absolutely right. I'm just a little touchy about critiques lately, I guess...not that I should be, this show deserves the best constructive criticism possible, and this is a Star Wars fandom we're talking about. One episode won't spell the end of the world.

Mayhaps I shall stuff it personally. Thanks muchly for your consideration in your response, though. Certainly a lot more sense than I tend to show. :p

In any case, whatever the sum of its parts, I'll still be very interested to see the fate of Ima-Gun Di. :D
  22. FistoFan93 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Even though this episode could prove being good, it will never be exciting. We know the outcome of both storylines in advance, the only new character we get will die, and all the other characters we know they will live. There is no tension, which I think will be this episode's problem.
  23. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Right. I don't particularly care if there are minor aberrations between this episode and the Ryloth trilogy.

It's more that we already know, in the general course of TCW, that 80% of the major characters have to make it to ROTS, so there's a loss of dramatic tension.

Now they are showing a prequel to a trilogy we saw 2 years ago, where we already know the eventual outcome.

If that's not bad enough, Filoni went and spoiled us further.
  24. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    Considering that Toydaria is in Hutt Space, and King Katuunko was on Rugosa when we last saw him, and Katuunko still serves the Hutts according to the character guide, shouldn't the Republic be contacting the Hutts for assistance?

Or was all that set up about convincing the Hutt's to allow them to use their hyperspace lanes just nothing? If the Republic is going to violate Hutt space anyway to try and steal their member worlds from within their grasp what was the point of seeking Hutt approval in the first place?

My head hurts.[face_laugh]

Jar Jar is totally going to be the best part of this episode.
  25. Ludo_Kressh Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree with koonfan, I've been noticing alot of criticism lately, but hey it's good for the fandom as a whole. That being said, I'm certainly going to reserve my judgment until I watch it. And it's weird, but I'm actually looking forward to this one, Jar Jar or not.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.