main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 303: Supply Lines Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    You may not like it, but it makes it no less true. And if you unlearn the EU you've learned and look at just G level canon, it works. Granted, that might mean interpreting things in the films differently from the way we originally did. But there's still no contradictions...at least none that I can see.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well... Lott Dod and his little friend were cool.

And that's about all I'm going to say about that.

3. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    I would say that is overdoing it quite a bit. Rex and Cody comes to mind.

4. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    Is that a retcon for G-Level Canon, or just lower EU canon? I mean, I know Chee says that the corvette in RotS is this other thing. But is that only if we're trying to keep the EU and G-level consistent?

5. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Well, I didn't mean to blow up like that. I just needed to vent. [face_peace]

This is seriously the first time I've been let down by this show, and it doesn't feel good. [face_worried]

6. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Who's Chuchi again?

7. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    If Greedo in next week's episode is the Greedo from A New Hope, I'm going to let go of (at least a majority) of the EU . I really don't care whatever changes George makes anymore as long as he doesn't **** with Shadows of the Empire :mad:

8. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Matter of opinion. For all their screentime, the only time where Rex and Cody were a real team was in Rookies. Otherwise they're just... together (and not even that frequently).

9. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    Better to vent here, among friends! =)

Rest assured, the quality of Clone Wars is increasing every season. I'm sure you'll enjoy plenty more in the remaining episodes. And who knows? Maybe you'll see this one again at a later time, and won't hate it as much!

I'm still holding out for a Lucasfilm animated version of Shadows...a boy can dream!

10. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Timid, young Pantoran Senator from "Trespass" who later let Anakin use her lap as a pillow in "Hostage Crisis"

11. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    If I unlearn everything except for the movies, I might as well give up on my Star Wars fandom. I love the movies sure, but I wouldn't be the huge Star Wars fan I am without building up on it with books, comics, RPG and video games. I just hate it that now people go about telling me I should disregard all that, which is just as much a reason I love Star Wars as the films are.

And as for G-level contradiction. In Ep1 the big doughnut-shaped ships are called "Trade Federation Battleships", and later on they become the backbone of the CIS fleet. And yet the TF is not part of the CIS?

12. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I think what Lott Dodd is implying is that Nute Gunray has joined the CIS but the rest haven't followed, he's acting alone.

"Nute Gunray is an extremist".

13. fett51

fett51 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2008
    No sound problems here. Maybe it's one of the cable providers?

This episode was better than I was expecting and much different from what I was expecting. I wasn't expecting as much negotiating, politicking and backdoor dealings as we got, which was a heck of a lot better than the Bombad Jedi Part 2 feel of the trailer. I liked that the only aid provided was off the record and would probably have gotten Katuunko in very deep trouble as well if they'd gotten caught.

Imagun Di was a pleasant surprise, I was expecting him to get redshirted in the first five minutes. Name aside he was one of the better disposable Jedi we've seen and he had a pretty memorable death sequence.

As for the Trade Federation issue, I think it pretty clear from Dooku's sending Lott Dodd to Toydaria that the Trade Federation IS part of the Separatists. It's just lying about it and acting like Nute Gunray is leading a renegade faction, presumably for some political benefit.

Why did the Sundered Heart/Tantive IV retcon happen? There was no mention of that being Bail's ship in Empire at War, it seems completely unnecessary.

14. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    My guess is that as more time goes by, this will become increasingly the only viable option.

Well, I guess there are two.
    1. Like you say, let go of the EU.
    2. Understand the whole of the EU to be one big Infinities. That is, an alternate reality, an alternate version of Star Wars which has some things in common with the main story but goes off on it's own (a sentiment that George Lucas himself has sort of shared in his definitions of the EU, though not as definitively or explicitly).

We actually talked about the EU in an episode of The Clone Cast. Not to hawk my show, per se. Just saying that if you're interested...

Oh, and I wouldn't think he'd mess with Shadows. Or at least, the chances of him doing so are less, since he was more directly involved with that story than other EU stuff. I hope he doesn't mess with it. I really enjoyed SotE.

15. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    See my previous post. I'm not telling you that you should. What I'm saying is simply that you're faced with a dilemma. It's becoming more and more common that a GL idea conflicts with the EU. You can either go in for all the crazy retcons, dump the EU, or allow them to exist in your mind as separate stories.

An even better example for you to have used was battle droids. Made by the Geonosians for the TF, used by the CIS.

But the explanation is, I think, a relatively simple one. Though it does mean dropping certain assumptions about things even in the films. The explanation: The TF got their ships from some supplier. That same supplier is supplying ships of that same basic type to the CIS. Same works for the droids. Supplier made droids for TF. Same supplier makes them for the CIS. (Only problem here is Dooku's line to Gunray in Ep 2 "Our friends from the Trade Federation have pledged their support, and when their battle droids are combined with yours, we will have an army greater than any in the Galaxy.")

This seems pretty thin of a distinction, you might be thinking. Well, that seems to be what Organa, the Jedi, and the Senate think as well. It seems that there's got to be more of a connection between the TF and the CIS. Problem is, apparently those sneaky TF folks are making it so that proving that connection in a way that will stand up in court is difficult.

16. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    And I think that's part of the point. There's all of this secret wheeling and dealing going on. Backroom agreements, the hiding of connections between groups, letting the ends justify the means, etc.

I mean, that's the Dark Side. That's what Palpatine is all about (and Dooku as well). And that mentality is spreading through the galaxy. In this episode we see that even the good guys, in order to aid the people of Ryloth, make a "we're going to be in cahoots but not technically so no one can get in trouble" kind of deal.

17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, that could have been worse...and it could have been better. I am very middle of the road on this.

On one hand, I loved everything that happened on Ryloth. Di and his commander...well, there is only so much development you can get in an episode, but I liked them. I forgot for a moment that they were very doomed, but what an end it was, especially when the commander rose back up from near death to fight some more...or the part where Di explained his plan and the commander let out a sigh showing that he knew he was going to die...
    I also liked the basic political debate that was going on, seems like one of the first where both sides had a point, and I pleasantly surprised that the vote went against the Republic, with a sneaky addendum.
    Seeing Todyria and learning more about the Todyrian culture is interesting as well.
    I know people will never be happy about the Trade Federation's technical neutrality, but I like that they brought it up and used it, rather than just ignoring it. Denoucing gunnery was a good line. And on that note:
    Because obviously anyone with a AK-47 is part of the Soviet military, right?

Still, whatever good parts it had were balanced out by the fact most of the political drama felt forced. Why only that planet? Space is big and mostly empty! Why have Jar Jar distract the guys...you could have just had the state dinner away from any windows. Not to mention he found out anyway and it didn't matter...would things have been any different had he seen them with his own eyes?

18. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Jennifer Hale's 48956348th Voice Acting Gig.

Actually, Chuchi was one of the better developed characters from Season 1 who wasn't killed off.

19. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    Why only that planet? There could be any number of reasons that could work, but might take too long to explain.
    Why not have the dinner away from windows? Good point. But, maybe tradition is they have state dinners there. If they changed venue, it would alert Dodd's suspicions. Again, an explanation could be made. They don't have time to explain it. But because of that, we do end up with these moments of 'fridge logic' as it were.
    Yeah he found out anyway, but after the fact. He found out that some Republic ships brought supplies. But he didn't see them leave Toydaria. So he had no proof of Toydarian involvement. And that's what they were trying to avoid.

20. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    For the G canon vs EU canon I have what I call my "parallel universe theory", which tends to work for me pretty well. Marvel Starwars comics? Parallel universe. And bang, issue solved in my book. That and I just mix up bits of the EU I like (the huge history, lightsaber combat forms) with bits from the movie and show and ignore what EU elements that I'm not crazy about.

As for Supply Lines, I enjoyed it. Nice blend of everything that makes an episode enjoyable, enjoyable. (That and Jar Jar's mad balancing skills =D= )

21. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    No, but anybody with a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier is sure to be part of the US Navy.

22. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Im taking it that Greedo is Anakin's age in next weeks episode.
    After all he WAS in the Deleted scenes on the EP1 DvD,when Qui-gon pulled anakin off of him while they were fighting.

23. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    Pointing out a real world example where the type of military item used shows one's military affiliation doesn't somehow negate MercenaryAce's example where it doesn't.

See, no one here is arguing that what one uses never indicates what side you're on. Nor are we arguing that it was unreasonable for you to see the same ship used by the TF and CIS and infer that the TF was part of the CS. Heck, I'd say that we probably all did the same thing.

The point being made is that same type of item doesn't necessarily mean same side. That's true in the real world. It makes sense that it's true in Star Wars.

Thus, it's not a contradiction that Lucas has introduced by having the TF not technically in the CIS, even though both groups use the same type of vehicle or weapon.

You still may not like it, and that's fine. It's your prerogative. No one is saying you have to like it.

24. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I've just watched the episode in... less than perfect conditions. I'm not going to pass final judgement until I see it properly, but from this first go, it seemed like a lot of nothing. Nothing much going on on Ryloth but droids and clones shooting back and forth. Master Di's final stand was the only really good aspect of the episode, and even that was tainted by Filoni's unexplicable spoiling of it.

The mission to Toydaria... bleh... The final "showdown" is pathetic. So all it takes to send undercover emergency supplies is for a clown to simply make a handful of guys literally "look the other way"?

PS: So Jar Jar is terminally clumsy (to the point of being banished for it), but he's also amazingly dextrous and in posession of almost supernatural precision to his movements. Right...

25. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Oh, wow. I totally forgot TCW was on tonight. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.